PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay to play in new Heaven

Lindsayfan32
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Just read a net article that says Lindsay has commited to the new haven tournement the week before the US Open. :)

(WTNH, Aug. 4, 2005) _ A huge commitment today for the Pilot Pen tennis tournament. Lindsay Davenport is coming back to New Haven.

Davenport will make her 6th appearance at the Pilot Pen, despite an injury to her back that forced her out of other tournaments earlier this year.

"I'm looking forward to returning to New Haven," Davenport said in a statement. "I've had so much success here and the fans have always been so supportive of me, it's one of my favorite tournaments to play."

Davenport is currently number one in women's tennis, with two titles to her name this year. She was also in the finals at Wimbledon.

She was in the finals in New Haven for four straight years, from 1999 to 2003.

Here is a thought is she playing it to get the number 1 ranking back I think she cares about it more than she lets on.

jacs
Aug 5th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Hmmm... I don't think so. I think she's playing to get into a groove on this surface more than anything. I hope it doesn't aggravate her back though.

lindsayno1
Aug 5th, 2005, 07:25 AM
deffo not. she will want the practise, espec with the way kims playing etc.

She will have the chance to get no1 back!! woo, i will laugh at maria SO much if Lindsay does that! We should have a V-Bet on it lol!

Loughyunijen
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:03 AM
im not so sure that new Haven is a good idea....the problem lindsay has is that she can't play too much intebse tennis was consectutive amounts of time. I really think playing 3 weeks solid in a row, will be too much for her and could possibly hinder her chnace of the USO crown :(

Both in the wimby and oz open 2005 and the USO semi 2004 lindsay was playing floorable tennis, but the intensity of 7 matches in 2 weeks (plus doubles) brought on Tiredness that caused nagging injuries, which eventually saw her lose the possibility of 3 Gs's :(

I hope lindsay rests up till the US open and then plays her heart out for 2 solid weeks, fresh ad ready to go, I really think this is the way forward.....what are your thoughts?

lindsayno1
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:07 AM
well shes not playing doubles....

Aussie Open she did singles and doubles

Wimbledon she did singles and doubles

I hope she doesnt team up with Corina again for the sake of herself at the USO - i will cry!

RayRob
Aug 5th, 2005, 12:10 PM
i think corina has been having a rather sucessfull partnership with Patty so I really don't think that Lindsay will be playing doubles at the USO.

It was because she played a match everyday during USO 2004 and Aus Open 2005 that she lost steam towards the end. Don't think it has a lot to do with playing 3 weeks in a row.

I think playing New Haven is a good choice....a weak field means she's more likely to be able to find her groove and hopefully take a winning streak into USO - it always helps.

We'll see what she does....and although the WTA site doesn't list Lindsay as going to LA, Lindsay is still on the sites official list, but it does state that it's subject to change....

-Rache

Lindsayfan32
Aug 5th, 2005, 12:12 PM
im not so sure that new Haven is a good idea....the problem lindsay has is that she can't play too much intebse tennis was consectutive amounts of time. I really think playing 3 weeks solid in a row, will be too much for her and could possibly hinder her chnace of the USO crown :(

Both in the wimby and oz open 2005 and the USO semi 2004 lindsay was playing floorable tennis, but the intensity of 7 matches in 2 weeks (plus doubles) brought on Tiredness that caused nagging injuries, which eventually saw her lose the possibility of 3 Gs's :(

I hope lindsay rests up till the US open and then plays her heart out for 2 solid weeks, fresh ad ready to go, I really think this is the way forward.....what are your thoughts?

New Haven will be her only tournment before the US Open but I'm not sure if I want Lindsay to play it either as there is a chance she could reinjury herself and not play the US open at all. But on the upside I might get some sleep. Ah but who needs sleep when Lindsay playing every secind night. :lol:

Ingokoer
Aug 5th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I think Lindsay could decide well enough for herself, if she could play 3 weeks in a row without getting tired or weak. Last year she also played 3 weeks (Stanford, San Diego and Los Angeles) in a row and has won all three tournaments in perfect shape.
I think getting hurt again has nothing to do how long you are practising, just one false step on the court could be the end, no matter if it is the 1st day or the 16th day you play.

Kelly
Aug 5th, 2005, 03:32 PM
team D lost first round at wimby....i think its when she goes 3 sets that buggers it up....at the ozzy she a tough qtr and semi 3 setter, and the french all her matches were 3 setters and then she was buggered for peirce and at wimby a tough 3 setter against kim and amelie b4 the final....if she can keep her matches to 2 setters against the nomads then i fancy her chances

jacs
Aug 5th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Well, I wouldn't normally say that three weeks is a big deal for Lindsay, it's just that it might aggravate her back injury is all.

Andrew..
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Loves it. I think it's a great idea. Her matches right up until at least to the SF shouldn't be too difficult, and then she can get some real tests from that point on... and finally capture the giant pen. ;)

lindsayno1
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Andrew, your scaring me - are you ill? your being optimistic!!! lol

foreva lindsay
Aug 5th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Hope she does well if she does play :D

RayRob
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Andrew, your scaring me - are you ill? your being optimistic!!! lol

:lol: I was thinking the same thing because he was excited and optimistic in the other thread about Lindsay's fall schedule......I don't know whether to be worried or glad.....or report it because it might be someone who's hacked Andrew's account ;)

LOL, j/k ;)

-Rache

lindsayno1
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:40 PM
or report it because it might be someone who's hacked Andrew's account ;)

LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew..
Aug 6th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I'm just glad that she's coming back to New Haven, and then playing a full fall schedule. Those Asian tournaments are the #1 spots for whoring up the cheap ranking points. I'm glad Lindsay has realized this, and is getting paid lots of money.

Elldee
Aug 6th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Do people think Lindsay will be ready for New Haven? I really hope she will, I can't stand the idea of her missing the US Open.

Andrew..
Aug 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I think she'll show up for New Haven. By the time she plays her first match in New Haven, it will have been four weeks since her back injury flared up in Stanford.

On a side note, if she doesn't play New Haven, I doubt she'll play the US Open.

Lindsayfan32
Aug 6th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Loves it. I think it's a great idea. Her matches right up until at least to the SF shouldn't be too difficult, and then she can get some real tests from that point on... and finally capture the giant pen. ;)

Here is a history leason for you Andrew Lindsay has win this tournement before it was back in 1997 when it was the US women hard courts when it was played at stone mountain park the 96 olympic site. She hasn't won it since it been moved to New Haven. She has been a four time finalist losing three times to Venus and once by default to Jennifer Capriati.

But having said all that I would like to see her win it again since its been a while.

Andrew..
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Here is a history leason for you Andrew Lindsay has win this tournement before it was back in 1997 when it was the US women hard courts when it was played at stone mountain park the 96 olympic site. She hasn't won it since it been moved to New Haven. She has been a four time finalist losing three times to Venus and once by default to Jennifer Capriati.

But having said all that I would like to see her win it again since its been a while.
I knew that. Atlanta is not New Haven. New Haven is New Haven. And Atlanta was never giving away the giant pen. Thus, she has failed in capturing New Haven, and the giant pen, so K.

Elldee
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:11 AM
On a side note, if she doesn't play New Haven, I doubt she'll play the US Open.

ITA.

Also, it seemed to me that between Wimbledon and Stanford Lindsay underestimated her back injury but since then she's taken it much more seriously so as long as she's getting the help she needs it should be okay for New Haven.

lindsayno1
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM
ITA.

Also, it seemed to me that between Wimbledon and Stanford Lindsay underestimated her back injury but since then she's taken it much more seriously so as long as she's getting the help she needs it should be okay for New Haven.

Yeah like it wasnt her back that cost her the wimbledon match.... im not so sure!

Andrew..
Aug 7th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I said from day one Lindsay either a) was "injured" in the Wimbledon final, or b) the injury was in fact real, and much more serious than she thought/was letting on. Clearly, it is option b. And I agree with you, she's taking it way more seriously now than she was in Stanford. I think if she wanted to, she could probably be ready for Toronto, but she's going to play it safe.

Ingokoer
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:34 AM
New Haven could be a good training for the US Open. The draw might be also not so heavy like in Stanford or San Diego, no Belgian, no Sharapova, no Williams sister. Could be a final Davenport vs. Mauresmo, because they will be seeded No.1 and No.2, that could be the only real challenge.

Andrew..
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:57 AM
And Mauresmo could be a mess after her last meeting with Lindsay.

If ever there was a chance to win New Haven, this is it. Though, I said that in 2003, too.

chewy
Aug 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM
i pray that lindsay will have good health...hope she can stay injury free in new heaven n win a couple of matches to boost her confidence before she takes d big one!

wkchiang
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I think if she wanted to, she could probably be ready for Toronto, but she's going to play it safe.

I always think the reason Lindsay skips Toronto is the same one she didn't want to play Miami in recent years. ;)

Elldee
Aug 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
And Mauresmo could be a mess after her last meeting with Lindsay.

If ever there was a chance to win New Haven, this is it. Though, I said that in 2003, too.

Well, if she's uninjured, then I very much agree.

Mauresmo is only playing Toronto before New Haven so it's not like Mauresmo won't be a bit rusty too.

chewy
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:31 AM
i just read from wta.com that lindsay isnt scheduled to play pilot pen torn(new heaven), her nxt one is us open, is this correct?

i hope it works out well for her.

Kelly
Aug 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM
the wta site is always a mess....the only way we will know if she is playing or not is if she turns up :-)