PDA

View Full Version : Pictures From Acura Qualifying

Shooter
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:12 AM
For those of you interested in seeing pictures of lesser
known WTA players, I've put up a web site of pictures I
took last weekend at the Acura Qualifying.

Players pictured are:

Fedak, Mirza, Nakamura, Perry, Rodionova, Sromova, and
Shikha Uberoi.

There are also some pictures and Quicktimes of the La
Costa facility, and some comments on the players and
event in general.

If you notice any typos or other errors on the page, or
have technical problems with it, I'd appreciate hearing
about it.

The URL is: www.mfwweb.com/tennis/SD05

Thanks, Shooter

gsm
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:26 AM
nice site mate!

even nicer photos!!!

CooCooCachoo
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:26 AM
Many thanks :D

I believe Shikha struggled with the heat. She's asthmatic and if it's hot and humid, she, like myself, has trouble coping with it. Especially when playing tennis. She doesn't look that great in the pictures either, when usually she does.

I really like the report and pictures on your site :D

Jeff
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:31 AM
Nice job as always, Shooter! Unfortunately I didn't go to this event this year. I've been there four times and love it. Was curious about that Grandstand, though. Saw it on the live scoreboard and was curious where it was put at/what it looked like, so your site answered my questions. Thanks :D

Jakub
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
thank you so much

I would love to see Aiko and how she is swiching hands after serve.
On pictures you can clearly see that she serves with right hand and then play two handed forhand and backhand like a left-hander :eek: :D

HTE
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Great pics, thx a lot for sharing them with us :)

King Aaron
Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks. :yeah:

Shooter
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:54 PM
Many thanks :D

I believe Shikha struggled with the heat. She's asthmatic and if it's hot and humid, she, like myself, has trouble coping with it. Especially when playing tennis. She doesn't look that great in the pictures either, when usually she does.

I really like the report and pictures on your site :D
O.K. asthma makes more sense than heat exhaustion. There was a slew of WTA officials sitting next to me in case something serious happened. It's very impressive that she hung in there for a 3rd set and WON IT!

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Shooter
Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:06 PM
Nice job as always, Shooter! Unfortunately I didn't go to this event this year. I've been there four times and love it. Was curious about that Grandstand, though. Saw it on the live scoreboard and was curious where it was put at/what it looked like, so your site answered my questions. Thanks :DLooks like they shifted the location of the 2 outside courts used in previous years out towards the parking lot and put the grandstand in near the stadium. The view of the grandstand from the southwest corner of the stadium is pretty good (except for a palm tree that blocks the player directly below you).

It's hard to see in the pics and Quicktime, but there's actually one practice court between the Grandstand and the two outer match play courts. It's totally enclosed by high fences with curtains on them. The only way you can see who's practicing on that court is from the top of the west Grandstand bleachers. This is a weakness of the La Costa facility compared to Indian Wells and Los Angeles. All of the La Costa practice courts are fenced in with curtains blocking your view. You can't take pics of players practicing on those courts. The only way to see who's playing is to look through the crack in the door. At L.A. and Indian Wells all of the practice courts are wide open. If there isn't an interesting match going on, you can wander over to the practice courts to take pictures.

By the way, Martina Navratilova was practicing on that court next to the Grandstand for quite a while on Sunday afternoon. I heard an official offer her a Wildcard into the singles (probably the Acura singles, but maybe L.A.). Martina politely declined.

Experimentee
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:43 AM
I always enjoy your pics every year. I'm glad you liked Aiko :D

Shooter
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:07 AM
I always enjoy your pics every year. I'm glad you liked Aiko :D
Thank you. Aiko is lovable.