PDA

View Full Version : What did mr> Korff do to the Lovely Janet Lee at Mawah last year?

selesfan1
Apr 15th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Does anybody know he also disrespected the lovely amy frazier in 1998.

Jem
Apr 15th, 2002, 03:07 PM
The winner of the Mahwah Challenger always receives a wildcard into the semifinals or quarterfinals of the annual Mahwah exhibition. Both Frazier and Janet Lee opted not to participate in the tournament last year, which upset Korff because it left him with a whole in the draw. Korff felt that since he had put up the $50,000 for a challenger tournament -- which by the way are typically money losers and financial drains -- then the winners should have played in his tournament, where they had a chance to earn even more money, plus there was a good promotional tie-in between the challenger and the exhibition. It's too bad if Mahwah has disappeared from the challenger circuit -- that's one less opportunity for the lesser-known players to earn much-needed cash. Hard-nosed that I am, I think Frazier and Lee probably erred by not participating in the exhibition -- mainly because they knew that was an expectation of the winner when they entered the tournament.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 15th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Janet Lee opted not to play because she had qualifying in San Diego right away and she was in good form and wanted to continue it. I supported her decision. :)

rated_next
Apr 15th, 2002, 09:36 PM
VSFan1: She wanted to play in the qualies of Stanford. ;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 15th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Regardless.....she could have played the qualifying at another exhibiton and I would have supported her ;)

Ted of Teds Tennis
Apr 16th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Lee and Prakusya also had to get to Stanford to play in the doubles tournament, which I believe they won.

I hate exos in the middle of the season and think players really oughtn't play them.

--Ted