PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana Lucic Comeback Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

MLF
Jul 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Bastad QR1 : Mircic d. Lucic 6-2 6-4

More than bad. Mircic has been dreadful all year. Mirjana served 8 double faults, had 42% first serve percentage and held her serve once when trailing 6-2 4-1.

croat123
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:25 PM
i've just lost all hope. mircic has been getting her ass kicked for weeks before this

jela_dokic
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:30 PM
don´t be freak out... Miki needs to put her mind into tennis again...and not only play singles...she will need to have at least some matches in dobles to get her tennis back...like she was on 1997 when she and Hingis won the Aus Open....

ajmo!
Jul 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM
:mad: i always had hope for miki and her game but now i really don't see how could she be back... :(

AaronJoyB
Jul 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Palermo draw is out:
Mirjana is in and she will face local wildcard Mariangela Avola

ajmo!
Jul 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM
GL Mirjana!

Pebbles
Jul 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Palermo draw is out:
Mirjana is in and she will face local wildcard Mariangela Avola
This is for qualifying, right? :)

Ballbasher
Jul 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Q1:Lucic d. Avola[wc] 6-0 6-1 :)
She faces Karatantcheva next. :scared:

frenchie
Jul 11th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Mirjana had an easy first round

But I don't see her beating Sesil K
She's like a human wall on clay

croat123
Jul 11th, 2009, 04:38 PM
avola is pretty terrible though. couldn't really win matches at the G3/4 level in juniors. easy win though (despite a terrible second serve)

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
6 points for Miki! That will help! Go get Sesil next round now!!!

Sectumsempra
Jul 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM
sesil really isnt that good...she beat venus on drugs when she was 15 and thats pretty much it. she has a very poor serve and no weapons but she does move pretty well and fights well

Pebbles
Jul 11th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Nice win Mirjana! Take down Sesil :armed:

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM
First set to Miki 6-3!!!! :);):eek:
Take it in straight sets now!!!

Krijes Sedam
Jul 12th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Lost the 2nd :(

Pebbles
Jul 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM
2-1 to Sesil in S3

MLF
Jul 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Sesil d. Miki 3-6 6-1 6-2

Plenty of chances for Mirjana, serving let her down again - 14 double faults.

Pebbles
Jul 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Another huge opportunity is gone. 14 DF's for Mirjana as she lost to Karatantcheva 3-6 6-1 6-2 :(

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Really disappointing let down after a strong start. What's her next event? 10 points at least will help her!

frenchie
Jul 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
6 points

I'm surprised she even got a set

I hope she goes back to itf 50k and above

ajmo!
Jul 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Portoroz Q-draw is out:
(2)Angelique Kerber v Mirjana Lucic
(wc)Jasmina Kajtazovic v Anna Gerasimou
Anna Tatishvili v Eva Hrdinova
Nikola Hofmanova v (7)Renata Voracova

I really don't se her winning this one. Kerber is in good form, 2nd seed and ranked around 100, really I doubt Miki can do alot on hard. :sad:

auntie janie
Jul 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM
You were right, vec. Miki lost 46 46.

Hele.
Jul 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM
10 break points wasted in the second set :sad:

ajmo!
Jul 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM
:( :sad:

blue249
Jul 19th, 2009, 01:14 PM
:( :sad:
Mirjana has a great first serve, fantastic shape, and strong groundstrokes when they say in the court. She would benefit from a good tactical coach that would devolop a safer second serve and add some topsin to her groundstrokes for better defense so that she can keep herself in the points without having to hit winners all of the time.
Hope she uses the off season to work on the tactical part of her game! She still has the drive to comepete so hope she adds some defense to her game.

ajmo!
Jul 19th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Mirjana has a great first serve, fantastic shape, and strong groundstrokes when they say in the court. She would benefit from a good tactical coach that would devolop a safer second serve and add some topsin to her groundstrokes for better defense so that she can keep herself in the points without having to hit winners all of the time.
Hope she uses the off season to work on the tactical part of her game! She still has the drive to comepete so hope she adds some defense to her game.

u saw her playing? great :)
yehh, we all know that but she is gonna be like that 4 ever. i mean that coach she had back in 2007, beros i think was good for her but now i don't really know. i mean, i had hopes that she is gonna work on her 2nd serve and tactics before this season and she didn't do it. i guess she wants to win so hard that she just forgets everyting when she's on court and hits ball as strong as she can. and when she's in form that can be good, but if she really wants to be back she has to change a lot of things and she has to change it really fast 'cause she is running out of time. :sad:
i don't know if she's gonna play istanbul or not but she is surely coming back to north america, she is on alt. list for 75k in canada. gl mirjana! :wavey:

Krijes Sedam
Jul 20th, 2009, 07:38 AM
She is now 5th Croatian player on WTA list which is good!
The bad thing it is more due to low performances of other players.
She's defending 30 points till the end of the year.

blue249
Jul 21st, 2009, 11:30 PM
u saw her playing? great :)
yehh, we all know that but she is gonna be like that 4 ever. i mean that coach she had back in 2007, beros i think was good for her but now i don't really know. i mean, i had hopes that she is gonna work on her 2nd serve and tactics before this season and she didn't do it. i guess she wants to win so hard that she just forgets everyting when she's on court and hits ball as strong as she can. and when she's in form that can be good, but if she really wants to be back she has to change a lot of things and she has to change it really fast 'cause she is running out of time. :sad:
i don't know if she's gonna play istanbul or not but she is surely coming back to north america, she is on alt. list for 75k in canada. gl mirjana! :wavey:
I watched in a couple of the Florida challenger events this past year. She appears to have all of the talent to beat the challenger level players but her error rate is way to high. If there was one part of her game to work on it would be to add some defense to her game plan.
She seems like a really nice person who loves the sport. Maybe a couple of big wins will help her with her confidence!

Krijes Sedam
Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
IMHO, she should play only ITF and when/if she graduates on that level, she should go to WTA.

blue249
Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
The challenger circut is a tough life. Very few fans and little excitement on a day to day basis. Also it must be tough to gauge your game playing against the level that some of these players are at. The ranking of an opponent can change dramtically from match to match.
I am glad the she is playing in larger qualifying tournaments using only her ranking to get in and not a wildcard. This should only help her game and confidence. If she could string togtherer some wins in some of the qualies it would help get her on a roll.

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Looks like Miki withdrew from the Vancouver event - is she playing somewhere else perhaps?

jela_dokic
Jul 27th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Where is she? Europe¿?

ajmo!
Aug 8th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Looks like in States after all. She is on entry list of Bronx 100k. The problem is that Bronx is MD only tournament so chances of playing overthere are really small for Mirjana. :wavey:

auntie janie
Aug 9th, 2009, 09:59 PM
We won't see her in a draw again until late September if she stays in North America. She could then play for four weeks in a row, if she wanted to: Albuquerque or Saguenay - Las Vegas - Troy - Kansas City. But that group of events doesn't get underway until Sept 21; there are only a couple of Mexican 10Ks before that, and she never plays those. So that's a lot of weeks to go without playing. She'd be better off in Europe where she could play a 100K starting Sept. 7 and then continue playing 100Ks or 50Ks every week.

ajmo!
Aug 10th, 2009, 09:02 AM
well, dont forget wta in canada, she could enter that one.

auntie janie
Aug 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah, that's true, she has a chance there. Too bad she couldn't get her ranking up a little more this season. :(

iGOAT
Aug 14th, 2009, 03:21 AM
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5130/lucic.jpg Here is a Mirjana avy I made. I can resize if you want, just ask in my graphics thread.

jela_dokic
Aug 16th, 2009, 12:29 AM
any news?

auntie janie
Aug 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM
She's still 12th on the Bronx alt. list. Doesn't look promising.

ajmo!
Aug 18th, 2009, 07:58 PM
maybe wc.. we'll se

Grönefeld-Fan
Aug 22nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Does anybody know her shedule for rest of the season...
Would love to see her back on track, some results this spring were really promising but she kind of lost it ...

frenchie
Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
apparently Mirjana has a WC into Bronx MD!

1 win = huge boost in the rankings

Grönefeld-Fan
Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
:bounce: :bounce:

too good to be true!!

Win a match here Mirjana !!!

Hele.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
:eek:

good luck miki! :bounce:

ajmo!
Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
i have a good feeling for this tourney..
something like at least 2 wins but we will see :D

auntie janie
Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Great news! She must be really excited about this opportunity. Make the most of it, Miki! :kiss:

roxi
Aug 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Good luck!!

MLF
Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Mirjana plays Julia Cohen in the 1st round. Cohen is a retriever and moonballer, which is the kind of game Mirjana doesn't like to play against but when you see the strength of the draw it's one of the best draws she could have hoped for. I hope she plays a smart match.

frenchie
Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
this is her chance

1 win = 40 spots in the rankings

ajmo!
Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Mirjana plays Julia Cohen in the 1st round. Cohen is a retriever and moonballer, which is the kind of game Mirjana doesn't like to play against but when you see the strength of the draw it's one of the best draws she could have hoped for. I hope she plays a smart match.

:help::mad:
hope mirjana can make it anyway

frenchie
Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Mirjana has to win this kind of match

Her goal for the rest of the season should be to get her ranking high enough for the AO 2010 quallies

Hele.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
good luck mikki!

ajmo!
Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Mirjana has to win this kind of match

Her goal for the rest of the season should be to get her ranking high enough for the AO 2010 quallies

i agree

Grönefeld-Fan
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Please win a match here Mirjana - finally a relative friendly first round....

Hele.
Aug 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM
she lost 6-3 7-5 :sad:

jela_dokic
Aug 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM
calm down boys... she is doing a good job....at least she is playing...

Remember that last year at this moment she was around 450...now she is at least top 400 and maybe she will get some points next tournaments...

This year is not over yet... so...keep your patien and soon we will see a very good tournament by miki...:)

Grönefeld-Fan
Sep 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Oh Mirjana....
It's hard to still believe in you, but I'll try!
Just watched the 99 Wimbledon semifinal on tape... Get your confidence back, girl!!!

auntie janie
Sep 8th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Mirjana returns to action later this month in qualies at the Albuquerque 75K. I expect she'll be playing more US challengers after that.

Of course, she might be playing a WTA event the week before that, in Quebec. Hope so!

frenchie
Sep 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
last time I checked Mirjana was 2nd alternate for Québec Quallies

auntie janie
Sep 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
In that case, she must be in by now. :D

frenchie
Sep 11th, 2009, 10:42 PM
quallies first round against tricky jidkova

auntie janie
Sep 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Good luck, Miki. :)

Ballbasher
Sep 12th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Tough opener. All the best Miki! :D

auntie janie
Sep 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Miki's putting up a pretty good fight; she finally won the first set 7-5, only to lose the 2nd 3-6. She's just not holding serve well enough; she's already been broken in the first game of the 3rd set.

I hope she can turn it around; it's not like Jidkova's been having a great year, either. She just has to hope she can break one more time than she gets broken. :angel:

They've already been out there for an hour and a half, so at least she's getting a lot of tennis in! :D

Oops, already down 0-2. Sure hope this doesn't end in a bagel. :tape:

auntie janie
Sep 12th, 2009, 11:46 PM
After a few deuces, Mirjana eventually loses serve again to fall to 0-3. :(

auntie janie
Sep 12th, 2009, 11:58 PM
57 36 06 :o :sobbing:

Oh, well, back to the ITFs. Hope she can do better there.

networthy
Sep 20th, 2009, 01:06 AM
It looks like Mirjana made the MD cut-off at this week's $75K in Albuquerque (it's a very weak draw). The #1 seed in qualies is Asia Muhammed, who's ranked below Mirjana.

Hele.
Sep 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
:unsure: :bounce:

auntie janie
Sep 20th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Only a week late! Found this article about Mirjana's loss to Jidkova. It's in French, tant pis pour vous! ;)

Perte de concentration

Juste avant le triomphe de Pelletier, Alina Jidkova l'a emporté devant la Croate Mirjana Lucic, qui s'est complètement effondrée dans la seconde moitié du deuxième set. Elle forçait pourtant la Russe à courir sur le court et attaquait bien le filet jusque-là, mais a «perdu sa concentration».

Après avoir remporté le premier set 7-5, Lucic a trébuché 6-3 avant de baisser pavillon 6-0, complètement déconcentrée. Même Jidkova, en plein contrôle de la partie par la suite, est demeurée soufflée du revirement de situation.

«C'est une déception pour moi, car ça allait vraiment bien, a déploré Lucic, 27 ans. Je me suis complètement laissée déconcentrer sur un jeu. [...] C'est frustrant que ça se termine ainsi parce que je me sentais bien. Ma constance a fait défaut.»

Lucic a connu un parcours fertile en rebondissements. Jeune, elle était promise à une grande carrière, avant d'être affligée par les blessures. En 1999, elle a atteint les demi-finale de Wimbledon et n'a renoué avec la compétition qu'en 2007 seulement. Elle qui se qualifie à la blague de «grand-maman» du tennis aime toujours autant s'entraîner fort. Depuis quelques mois, elle a d'ailleurs un nouveau mentor en Jeff Russell.

Et la suite du tournoi pour Lucic? Elle devra se contenter du double cette fois. «J'aime vraiment être ici, même si je suis déçue d'avoir perdu. Je vais essayer de passer une bonne nuit et de revenir en force demain [aujourd'hui].»

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/sports/tennis/200909/12/01-901207-challenge-bell-pelletier-entend-samuser.php

Rough translation:

Miki felt good, she played aggressively for a set and a half, attacking the net, keeping Alina on the run. But then she lost concentration for a game and completely fell apart after that.
She was very disappointed by her performance.
She loves to train hard.
She's working with a new coach.
Sounded like she was expecting to play doubles, but I don't think she did, so I don't know what happened there, or maybe I misunderstood her remarks. Translation corrections always welcome. :)

MLF
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM
Mirjana is playing the $75K event in Alburquerque this week and has drawn #2 seed Barbora Strycova-Zahlavova in the 1st round :rolleyes: Good luck to her.

auntie janie
Sep 23rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
If Mirjana wants or needs easier draws, there's no reason she can't play some of these Mexican 10Ks that have been going on. It would be great for her to get a few wins in a row, remember what it's like to win a tournament, etc. But she obviously doesn't see it that way, and she probably knows what she needs better than I do. ;)

frenchie
Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
5 wins in a 10k = 12 points

1 win in Albuquerque = 14 points

auntie janie
Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
I wasn't referring to the ranking points involved, but to the opportunity to play multiple matches in one week. Mirjana has not played 2 matches in a week since Palermo qualies in early July, and has not played 3 or more matches in a week since early May -- over four months ago! Of course if she wins a match in Albuquerque, it will seem like a good decision to play there, but if she doesn't -- how many weeks can she go from city to city, losing the first match she plays? Anyone would get discouraged after a few months like that.

auntie janie
Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
(2)Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (CZE) d. Mirjana Lucic (CRO) 75 36 62

Oh, well, it's good to see she fought back after that close first set, even if she couldn't hold on to the end. Still a lot better effort than losing to Julia Cohen in straight sets in the Bronx 100K! :tape:

But only 1 ranking point.

Hope she can win a couple matches in Las Vegas next week. Unlike in Albuquerque, she'll have to play qualies there, so she probably wouldn't have to face a Strycova-caliber opponent right away.

MLF
Sep 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Frustrating thing for Mirjana is that her game is almost there in terms of being ranked between #100-#200 going by most of her scorelines. That's probably where playing and winning matches at a lower level would do her good - it would give her the match tightness to win some of these three setters with higher ranked players. Not sure if at 27 she wants to drop as far down as 10ks to get the match play though.

auntie janie
Sep 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Miki's section of the qualy draw in the Las Vegas 50K:

Amra Sadikovic (SUI) v Chen Astrogo (ISR)
(6)Julia Glushko (ISR) v Mirjana Lucic (CRO)

Julia's ranked a little higher than Miki, but is certainly not a player of of Barbora S-Z's caliber. It's a good opportunity for Miki; keeping my fingers crossed ... :wavey:

networthy
Sep 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM
On the Las Vegas tournament thread, Migrate reports that Mirjana beat Glushko in two. :bounce: She really needed this win, having lost her last five matches.

In R2 she'll play the winner of Amra Sadikovic and Chen Astrogo. Either way it should be easier than R1 since they're both ranked quite a bit lower than Glushko.

Good luck to Mirjana--she could really use another win!

Hele.
Sep 28th, 2009, 08:02 AM
:bounce:

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 28th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Ajmo.

networthy
Sep 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Migrate again reports that Mirjana won in two sets.

She plays Mijacika in final qualies round :eek:

Ideally, the loser will get in as an LL.

auntie janie
Sep 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Migrate again reports that Mirjana won in two sets.

Yeah, in two easy sets both times:

Lucic def. (6) Glushko 61 62
Lucic def. Sadikovic 61 63

Mijacika is a different caliber of opponent than those two, but fortunately Mirjana faced these two first, and she must have gained a little confidence from beating them so thoroughly. Hope that'll carry through to today's match, too.

MLF
Sep 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Simone was first with the news ( as always ) to say that Mirjana beat Mijacika in straight sets to qualify. I thought she might find it hard to win that one so good for her :D

roxi
Sep 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Well done.I hope she can do some damage in MD

auntie janie
Sep 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Great news! Good luck to her in the MD -- why stop now? :D

Ballbasher
Sep 29th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Great win! :yeah: Best of luck in the MD! :)

networthy
Sep 30th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I'm sad for Ani but happy for Mirjana--she really needed this win much more.

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 30th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Please win some MD matches now... Ajmo!

Ballbasher
Sep 30th, 2009, 07:55 AM
She has drawn Tatishvili in R1. :scared: Definetely not easy.

auntie janie
Oct 1st, 2009, 12:08 AM
Still don't know what happened today, but just to catch up on the final qualy round, Miki's score against Ana Mijacika was 64 61.

networthy
Oct 1st, 2009, 01:14 AM
Amazingly, Mirjana won today! She beat Tatishvili 62 36 63. Does anyone know the last time Mirjana won four matches in a row?!?

In R2 she plays Meng Yuan (#317). It's winnable so let's hope Mirjana won't be too tired!

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 1st, 2009, 04:27 AM
Great job, Mirjana. :yeah:

Meng is gonna be really tough for her, I think. Let's see how she does... Ajmo :kiss:

Krijes Sedam
Oct 1st, 2009, 06:40 AM
Does anyone know the last time Mirjana won four matches in a row?!?

It was DOTHAN USA, April 2009, $75,000, CLAY
Q-R32 KLASCHKA, SABINE (GER) 433 W 6-7(5) 6-2 6-4
Q-R16 WASHINGTON, MASHONA (USA) 313 W 6-3 4-6 6-4
Q-Q RUCKERT, KATHERINE (USA) 375 W 6-0 6-1
R32 LITVAK, LENA (USA) 360 W 6-2 6-2

In Las Vegas, so far the score is:
Q-R32 GLUSHKO, Julia (ISR) 6 302 W 6-1 6-2
Q-R16 SADIKOVIC, Amra (SUI) 438 W 6-1 6-3
Q-Q MIJACIKA, Ani (CRO) 339 W 6-4 6-1
R32 TATISHVILI, Anna (GEO) 5 161 W 6-2 3-6 6-3

So far, she earned 16 points, but she's defending 4 from last year which makes it 12 in total.
It will move you up some 25 places to about 347. :bounce:

networthy
Oct 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM
^ Thank you, Krijes Sedam :wavey:

Hele.
Oct 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM

auntie janie
Oct 1st, 2009, 11:39 AM
Best win for Miki in a long time! I'm so happy for her. :hearts::dance: Hope she can keep going, and keep it up through the next events she plays, too. :D

MLF
Oct 1st, 2009, 03:27 PM
Glad to see Mirjana beat Tatishvili again, Mirjana beat her in a volatile 3 setter last year. Meng Yuan is a moonballing retriever, just the kind of player Mirjana can self destruct against but hopefully Miki has the confidence and patience to beat her today. There's an article about her inone of the Las Vegas papers today :

ED GRANEY: At peace with turbulent past, one-time phenom on comeback trail

http://media.lvrj.com/images/150*143/3901906.jpg (http://media.lvrj.com/images/3901906.jpg)
Mirjana Lucic returns a shot Wednesday during her singles match at the Lexus of Las Vegas Open at Red Rock Country Club. The 27-year-old Croatian is attempting a comeback after leaving tennis for nearly five years because of abuse by her father.
Photo by Jason Bean/Las Vegas Review-Journal

Mirjana Lucic once stood on a Wimbledon baseline staring across at the great Steffi Graf, their semifinal match having advanced to a third set. Lucic had eliminated the great Monica Seles in the third round.
Lucic was making a habit of hanging with and sometimes beating the greats, another women's tennis phenom who at age 15 and playing in her first professional doubles event became the youngest player in history to win an Australian Open title.

http://media.lvrj.com/designimages/spacer.gifhttp://media.lvrj.com/designimages/spacer.gifhttp://view.atdmt.com/Z9A/view/173684545/direct/01/2373596 (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=v8/38b9/3/0/%2a/m%3B217806261%3B0-0%3B0%3B24215987%3B4307-300/250%3B33280575/33298453/1%3B%3B%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp://clk.atdmt.com/Z9A/go/173684545/direct/01/2373596)http://view.atdmt.com/Z9A/view/173684545/direct/01/2373596 (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=v8/38b9/3/0/%2a/m%3B217806261%3B0-0%3B0%3B24215987%3B4307-300/250%3B33280575/33298453/1%3B%3B%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp://clk.atdmt.com/Z9A/go/173684545/direct/01/2373596)

http://media.lvrj.com/designimages/spacer.gif
Her singles ranking rose to No. 32 a year later, when she was among a young group of female players taking tennis by storm, arriving on the scene with Martina Hingis and Venus and Serena Williams and Anna Kournikova.
There was nothing Lucic couldn't do on a court.
If only her father had stopped beating her off it.
Perhaps then, she wouldn't have disappeared from the game for nearly five years.
Comebacks in women's tennis are more common today than Roger Federer wearing monogrammed clothing. Reasons differ for players departing the pro scene. Some are burned out. Others, like Kim Clijsters, live the fantasy dream of walking away to begin a family and returning to win the U.S. Open. Others have stories far more terrifying.
On Tuesday, as Lucic prepared to serve during a qualifying match at the USTA Pro Circuit Lexus of Las Vegas Open at Red Rock Country Club, a ball bounced from the stands and rolled across the court.
A toddler had discovered his green fuzzy prize under a seat, and, well, what would you expect a 1-year-old to do?
But there was no ball boy to run down the toss.
If she didn't realize it before, Lucic stood a lifetime away from that Wimbledon baseline.
She is not complaining.
"Sometimes, I sit with my family and say, 'I feel like I am 50, like I have lived more than one life,' " Lucic said. "I have been through a lot. But it came to a point where I knew it would either destroy me or I would get stronger from it. This is what happened. Move on. Get stronger. Get better. I really feel good about the person I am today. I'm happier than I have ever been.
"You either come to peace with things or you go insane. I have had a great life in many ways. I have seen the world. I have played legends like Steffi on the biggest stages of the world. Yes, there were tough times. Everyone would like to have a great father, but sometimes it doesn't work this way. So you deal with it. You move on."
She, her mother and four siblings fled Croatia for the U.S. in 1998, not only to escape their war-ravaged homeland but also an oppressive Marinko Lucic. He was a rich and powerful man with an alleged fondness for physically and emotionally abusing the women in his family.
The first time he struck Mirjana, she was 5 and had just lost a match to a player twice her age. His weapon of choice often was a Timberland shoe. She has spoken about the time he beat her with it for 40 minutes in a bathtub for losing in a tournament semifinal, only to then hand her money for ice cream.
She has said he took all but a little more than $20,000 of her career earnings.
Tennis history unfortunately is filled with tales of overbearing and at times abusive parents, perhaps more than any other sport. It's no big secret: Many tennis parents have proven to be nightmares.
Some players can overcome it and some can't and some go away for years before the fire begins to burn again. Lucic is 27 and doesn't just face a long ways back to her lofty status. She faces a mountain the size of Everest.
She is ranked No. 373 and had to qualify for the $50,000 main draw event at Red Rock. On Tuesday, she rallied from down 4-1 in the first set to eliminate Ani Mijacika, 6-4, 6-2. On Wednesday, in a first-round main draw match, she dismissed fifth-seeded Anna Tatishvili, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
Lucic is second up on Court 5 today, when she plays unseeded Meng Yuan of China at about 11 a.m.
It is rare to wander out to such an event and watch a player who many believed could have been ranked in the Top 10 for years and years. Lucic was that good at one time, a tall, athletic, powerful force in the game. She had Grand Slam talent. She was special.
"I feel like I'm playing the best I have in a really long time," Lucic said. "I'm starting to believe more. It hasn't exactly been easy trying to come back after so many years. But I just felt there were still some great results inside me. I don't feel like tennis is finished for me.
"I'm doing the right things. I have surrounded myself with positive people. The hard part is being patient and waiting for those results, but I missed tennis like you can't imagine. I would kill to be at Wimbledon again and feel that energy on that stage.
"This is about me now and no one else. If I didn't love it so much, I would have stayed away and lived my life and been fine. But I am so happy to be back. I am loving tennis again.
"I am loving life again."

Krijes Sedam
Oct 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Go Miki! :)

tennismaster8820
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM
The hard part is being patient and waiting for those results, but I missed tennis like you can't imagine. I would kill to be at Wimbledon again and feel that energy on that stage.

:awww: It would be amazing if she could play Wimbledon again!
Hopefully that happens! Good luck!

frenchie
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:35 PM
:awww: It would be amazing if she could play Wimbledon again!
Hopefully that happens! Good luck!

well she's not THAT far from the quallie draw;)

jela_dokic
Oct 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
great article about Miki!!! we love miki"""

by the way... Miki won the 1st set againts Yuan Meng... she is playing the second one... miki was 3-4 20 min ago....

more news as soon as posible...:)

auntie janie
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:01 PM
I think we would have heard by now if she had won in straight sets. :sobbing:
But it's great to hear how happy she is now. :hug: Thanks for posting the article. :)

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Great article, really glad to hear she's happy :yeah:

networthy
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM
I called the tournament and the woman told me that Mirjana won 64 36 75 :woohoo: :woohoo:

jela_dokic
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:53 PM
yeah... she won!!! I´m so happy for her....

Good Luck in next round..:)

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:56 PM
Wow :eek:!

What a great fight, that should really give her some confidence. To beat a tough retriever like Yuan with such a close scoreline... it has to do wonders. COME ON MIRJANA!

Whatever happens now, it's safe to say this has been a successful week. She needs to let loose now and play with nothing to lose. AJMO!
:rocker2:

auntie janie
Oct 1st, 2009, 11:26 PM
I wish we could all run up and hug her right now! :hearts::hug: Big breakthrough week for sure, winning 5 matches so far, and the last 2 were very tough ones. As they say on General Messages, it's amaze! :aparty:

auntie janie
Oct 1st, 2009, 11:33 PM
It was DOTHAN USA, April 2009, $75,000, CLAY
Q-R32 KLASCHKA, SABINE (GER) 433 W 6-7(5) 6-2 6-4
Q-R16 WASHINGTON, MASHONA (USA) 313 W 6-3 4-6 6-4
Q-Q RUCKERT, KATHERINE (USA) 375 W 6-0 6-1
R32 LITVAK, LENA (USA) 360 W 6-2 6-2

In Las Vegas, so far the score is:
Q-R32 GLUSHKO, Julia (ISR) 6 302 W 6-1 6-2
Q-R16 SADIKOVIC, Amra (SUI) 438 W 6-1 6-3
Q-Q MIJACIKA, Ani (CRO) 339 W 6-4 6-1
R32 TATISHVILI, Anna (GEO) 5 161 W 6-2 3-6 6-3

So far, she earned 16 points, but she's defending 4 from last year which makes it 12 in total.
It will move you up some 25 places to about 347. :bounce:

Now it's 24 points earned! Minus the 4 from 2008 = 20 total points. (so far!)

She must be pretty sore and tired by now, but also exhilarated. Just don't get injured, kid! You're on a real roll now. :rocker2:

networthy
Oct 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
In the QF(!), Mirjana will play the winner of Adamczak (#154) and Lee-Waters (#200). Will be tough!

In the meantime, a few things to consider:

+ This is Mirjana's first five-match winning streak since 2001 French Open
+ It comes at a really good time, after she lost five matches in a row
+ This is her most successful tournament points-wise since March 2007 Indian Wells
+ It'll give her her highest ranking since early 2004 (over five years ago!)

networthy
Oct 2nd, 2009, 02:07 AM
In the QF(!), Mirjana will play the winner of Adamczak (#154) and Lee-Waters (#200). Will be tough!

Lindsay Lee-Waters it is. Better her against Mirjana than Adamczak: she's ranked lower and is in poorer form recently (though she does have a much better career-high ranking). Still, she's gonna be tough.

Ajmo, Miki!

Ballbasher
Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:13 AM
Miki :worship: Good fight there! :D

AaronJoyB
Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:44 AM
Miki saved 5 mp!

croat123
Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
what a fighter!!

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:16 AM
Miki saved 5 mp!
:hearts: Amaze.

Fight, baby.

Hele.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:15 AM

xcrtbckhnd
Oct 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
This is such a great result for her - I'm so happy to see her finally breaking through to the later stages of a tournament. Let's take this next match too Miki!!!!

JURasic
Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Migrate reports that Miki defeated LLW 7:6 6:3 :eek::bounce:

This is her first SF after Wimby 1999 :eek:

Hele.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:39 PM

auntie janie
Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
:speakles: This news is making me cry from happiness! :bigcry: :hearts: :hug: :kiss: FINALLY, Miki is showing what she's got in her. I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo happy for her. She's been fighting so hard for so long without the reward of good results, yet never quitting. And now at last it starts to come. :hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts: What a story! What an amazing lady. :worship:

roxi
Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
well done!!! keep going!!!

jela_dokic
Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
great job Miki... now win this title and get back to top 100 as soon as u can...

i know you can do it....Good Luck tomorrow!

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Semifinals!! :banana: Mirjana means business this week. Title! AJMOOOOOO!!!!

Ballbasher
Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:44 PM
God Mirjana gets to the SFs and everyone is speaking about the title already. :o Can't people just enjoy how great she has already done.
Mirjana. FANTASTIC win! :speakles: :worship: :yeah: :D All the best against Brengle/Kapros.

auntie janie
Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Will :hearts: Mirjana Lucic :kiss: make a comeback???

I see you started this Miki comeback thread in July 2005! :speakles: It's taken over four years since then for her to even reach one SF. But it's amazing that a lot of the same posters have been here on and off over the years, pulling for her. It's been a long haul, so it's no wonder if some people get so excited they're already seeing trophies and titles. :)

Thanks for keeping the thread open and never giving up on her. :hug:

tennismaster8820
Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:09 AM
http://www.dailymotion.com/user/tennismaster8820/video/xaoofq_mirjana-lucic-vs-steffi-graf-wimble_sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRxU17FdRpM

Some reminder of her game when she was at her best! :drool:

Ballbasher
Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
She will play Kapros, who is also coming back currently, but with lots of difficulties, too. All the best Mirjana! :D

xcrtbckhnd
Oct 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
GL against Kapros now Miki!!!! You can win this one too!!!! Amazing results this week - absolutely incredible and so great to see her hard work paying off FINALLY!!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Oct 3rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Too bad about the result today but fantastic tournament nonetheless!!!
Does Miki get a WC into Troy MD now or does she still need to play qualies?

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Miki fell just short against Kapros :sobbing: Looks like she easily could have won, but it wasn't to be.

In any case, fantastic week for Mirjana. This is definitely something she can build from. :yeah:

auntie janie
Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Too bad about the result today but fantastic tournament nonetheless!!!
Does Miki get a WC into Troy MD now or does she still need to play qualies?

"Wild Cards may be seeded and must be named by the Wednesday before the tournament starts except in the case
of $50,000, $75,000 and $100,000 tournaments, whereby two Wild Cards may be named at the time the Draw is made."

So, I guess she could still get a MD WC if the Troy TD decides to give her one. But it's not like there's a rule that they have to give her one.

Now if she had reached the Las Vegas final, she could have played Troy MD as SE because she'd still be in action in Las Vegas on the day Troy qualies start. But her only hope as things stand is the gift of a WC -- or else race over to Troy and start playing qualies tomorrow. :speakles:

At least, that's the way I understand the rules. Corrections are always welcome. :angel:

Ballbasher
Oct 4th, 2009, 12:27 AM
She is not in Q at all. So either MD or no Troy.

Don't take the loss too hard, Miki! You had a fantastic week :worship:

auntie janie
Oct 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Lucic portion of a tournament article:

For Lucic, the ending was bittersweet to what had been an amazing week. She had to qualify for the main draw by winning three matches, then reached the semifinals with three more wins, two of which went the three-set distance, all while playing with a heavily taped right thigh.

"I gradually played better throughout the week, but I was physically exhausted, and it took its toll," Lucic said of her semifinal match, which took 2 hours, 22 minutes to complete. "But I had a great time, and it was a good feeling to come out here and play well."

So I wonder if she might skip Troy and give that leg a chance to recover? We'll see tomorrow when the draw comes out. If she does skip it, I hope she'll be back to play the following week. She doesn't want to lose this new momentum. :)

auntie janie
Oct 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
MIKI RANKING WATCH:

On the strength of her Las Vegas semifinal appearance Mirjana leaps from 377 to 321. :hatoff:
No points to defend this week, so if she does skip Troy she won't lose ground. :)

auntie janie
Oct 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM
She's not in the Troy draw. Rest up, heal that leg, and come back soon, Miki! :kiss: As of now, she's still in the Q draw for the Kansas City 50K next week.

Pebbles
Oct 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Good luck next week Miki :D I have a good feeling she can end the year inside the top 300 :)

SM
Oct 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Ajde Mikica!!!

Please give her w wildcard aussie tournaments in January 2009

ajde :D

networthy
Oct 11th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Mirjana is the #3 seed at this week's qualies in Kansas City ($50K). She has a bye in QR1, and in QR2 she plays the winner of Audra COHEN (#388) and Maureen DIAZ (#762). Good luck, Mirjana!

networthy
Oct 11th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Mirjana is the #3 seed at this week's qualies in Kansas City ($50K). She has a bye in QR1, and in QR2 she plays the winner of Audra COHEN (#388) and Maureen DIAZ (#762). Good luck, Mirjana!

Mirjana's QR2 opponent is Diaz, who beat Cohen. That should be good news for Mirjana. Diaz is ranked quite a bit lower than Cohen and has a lower career-high ranking. Also, Diaz hasn't done much lately; her W-L record since July is 2-6.

Come on, Mirjana--win this!

auntie janie
Oct 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Good luck, Miki! Time to qualify again and this time win the tournament. :D

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 12th, 2009, 01:13 AM
One match at a time. :)

networthy
Oct 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Mirjana beat Diaz 64 62. In the final round of qualies she plays the #5 seed, Laura Granville :scared:

Good luck, Mirjana!

jumpingjoe
Oct 12th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Nice win for Mirjana. I hope she beats Granville. I want to see her break into the top 300 soooooo badly!!!

Ballbasher
Oct 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Granville will prove to be the first hurdle I think. :unsure:

auntie janie
Oct 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
And so she did. Too bad; I hope this doesn't kill all the confidence Miki just gained. :(

jela_dokic
Oct 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
where and when miki plays next?

auntie janie
Oct 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
She's on the MD entry list for the Bayamon, Puerto Rico 25K next week, and the Qualy list for another 25K in Rock Hill, SC, the following week.

The two weeks after that, there's a 50K in Phoenix, Arizona and then one in Toronto, Canada -- and that's it for the challenger season in North America. Those two entry lists aren't out yet, but I expect Miki will play those if she can, since she's been sticking to North America for a while now.

MLF
Oct 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Hopefully she'll play them all score some wins and get herself firmly into the top 300.

auntie janie
Oct 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Miki's quarter of the draw in Bayamon:

(6)Anastasia Pivovarova (RUS) v Johanna Konta (AUS)
Agustina Lepore (ARG) v Lena Litvak (USA)
Kimberly Couts (USA) v (Q)Nicole Rottmann (AUT)
(4)Maria-Fernanda Alvarez-Teran (BOL) v Mirjana Lucic (CRO)

Good luck, Mirjana. :kiss:

networthy
Oct 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM
^ Mirjana won! It wasn't easy but she beat Alvarez-Teran 36 64 61. Excellent win for Mirjana, as Teran was the #4 seed and is ranked in the 190s.

In R2 she plays Couts (#302, career-high #259). Good luck, Mirjana!

auntie janie
Oct 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Wow! Thanks for the news. I was worried about MFAT, even though Miki should beat her on a hard court. It's great to see how well she recovered from a poor first set. :hatoff:

Can't believe she now plays Couts again, for the 3rd time this year. And last time she lost 16 16. :tape: Couts has one of those boring but steady baseline games; she's exactly the kind who can easily take advantage of any streaks of Miki-errors, so Miki has to be careful. Oh, well, she's got nothing to lose, and if she's on, her firepower can knock Couts silly. Go for it, Miki! :boxing:

Hele.
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:31 PM

frenchie
Oct 27th, 2009, 10:02 PM
top 300 is closer and closer

being around 270 at the end of the year could put her in the AO quallies

auntie janie
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:58 PM
This week she's defending 10 points (she earned 8 today, so she's almost done it already), but after this, she has no more to defend for the rest of 2009. So, yeah, if she keeps playing, she does have a chance to progress some. :)

xcrtbckhnd
Oct 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Great work Miki!!! Beat Couts now!!! Really hope she can go far this event! Does she have the day off today?

networthy
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Great work Miki!!! Beat Couts now!!! Really hope she can go far this event! Does she have the day off today?

Yes; she's scheduled to play her R2 match tomorrow, Thursday.

tennismaster8820
Oct 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Mirjana Lucic (CRO) d. Kimberly Couts (USA) 63 63
Nice easy win! :)

Hele.
Oct 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM
:woohoo:

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Well done :yeah: :)

networthy
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Congratulations, Mirjana! She has had a very encouraging past 4-5 weeks. It's exciting to think that she might finally be pulling it together.

It looks like she will play again next week. She's on the qualifying entry list for next week's $25K in South Carolina. She's listed 5th so at least she'll be seeded and she might even be able to squeeze into the MD, depending on withdrawals.

Sherpard
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:34 PM
The victory against Couts should mean Mirjana into top300 because her top16 will be at least 151 pts like actual #299. :confused:

By the way I think Mirjana is able to beat also Litvak because in Dothan she won 62 62 against her. :tennis:

Mirjana needs to end the year into top250 so she can play Australian Open qualyfing! :smoke:

Come on! :banana:

auntie janie
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:11 PM
It's fantastic that Mirjana beat Couts so handily, after losing to her twice this year -- shows her confidence in her game is really building now. :) Keep going, kid! :dance: (and enjoy Puerto Rico!)

As for points, she's only gained 4 points so far this week; that is, she's earned 14 points here, but she's also losing 10 from last year.

Sherpard
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Sorry Auntie Janie, but Mirjana has just lost the 10 points from Augusta of last year, because that tournament ended on 26th October 2008 and this week start on the same day. :dance:
However I calculate Mirjana's best16 based only on 2009 results and NOW (...I hope for 1 day only...) it's 151, but it will increase at every singles victory by now until the start of Australian Open because she had no more point to defend. :dog:

MLF
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Really pleased to see Mirjana score a win over Couts. Hopefully she'll be Litvak, though Lena seems to be playing well here.

xcrtbckhnd
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:52 AM
OMG!!! I'm so excited for her!!! Another great win and some revenge against an opponent who has beat her easily before!!! This is amazing!!! Take this title Miki!!! Next round should not be a problem!!!!

networthy
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Sorry Auntie Janie, but Mirjana has just lost the 10 points from Augusta of last year, because that tournament ended on 26th October 2008 and this week start on the same day. :dance:
However I calculate Mirjana's best16 based only on 2009 results and NOW (...I hope for 1 day only...) it's 151, but it will increase at every singles victory by now until the start of Australian Open because she had no more point to defend. :dog:

I believe auntie janie is correct. Including today's match, Mirjana only has 142 points (not 151). Here are her best 16 tournaments:

1. Lutz 9
2. Jackson 9
3. Osprey 9
4. Dothan 20
5. Charlottesville 18
6. Raleigh 6
7. Cuneo 4
8. Bastad 1
9. Palermo 6
10. Portoroz 1
11. Bronx 1
12. Quebec 1
13. Albuquerque 1
14. Las Vegas 38
15. Kansas City 4
16. Bayamon 14

That puts her at ~305-310. One more win and she'll definitely be back in the 200s--for the first time in over six years! Mirjana is defending only 9 points until next April so even if she doesn't win tomorrow, she's almost guaranteed to get there soon, as long as she keeps playing.

auntie janie
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM
And she did win! "Memoirs" posted on the tournament thread that she won today 62 62. Miki's on a roll again! :D

auntie janie
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:29 PM

That's true, but because Augusta was a 25K, the points took two weeks to show up, as they do for all 10Ks and 25Ks -- and so they fall off a week later the following year, too. ;)

If you look at the top of this week's WTA's "Printable Rankings" list, it shows Augusta on the "NEXT TO DROP OFF" list. And then if you scroll down to Mirjana's name, it shows the 10 points in the "NEXT OFF" column by her name. I don't know why we have to go to Printable Rankings to see this info, but it's always been this way. :o

Anyway, Mirjana has more than made up for all the points she earned last fall, so she can only go up from here, as networthy pointed out. It's so fantastic to finally see this happening! :hearts:

MLF
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Miki beat Lena Litvak 6-2 6-2 :bounce: Thanks to simone who was first ( again!! ) with the news. Semi final rematch with Meng Yuan who Miki beat 6-4 3-6 7-5 a couple of weeks ago but Meng had 5 match points I think. Go Mirjana!

Hele.
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM
:woohoo:

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:18 AM
Ajmo :rocker2:

xcrtbckhnd
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:12 PM
keep going Mirjana!!!! Will she make AO qualies?

Sherpard
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Now Mirjana it's about #297, it's not enough for AO qualifying tournament. Next week she'll probably in MD of Rock Hill because she's
5th in qualifying list but there're only 17 players for the main draw now.

frenchie
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:45 PM
come on Mirjana, a few more wins before the end of the year!

being in the GS quallies can change a lot of things
She won't have to play quallies for ITF too which is a good thing

Ballbasher
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:34 PM
According to "memoirs" she is into the final! :sobbing: :bigcry: :inlove: :worship: :yeah: All the best in the final, girl! :hearts:

SE for Rock Hills now, too :p

Hele.
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:30 PM
:eek: :hearts: :woohoo:

auntie janie
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:41 PM
When I think how long and hard she's worked to get here! :hearts: :sobbing: :hearts: :hug:

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 31st, 2009, 09:29 PM
Mirjana :awww: :bowdown: So proud of her...

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:35 PM
Do we know a score yet?

croat123
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:58 AM
7-6(5) 4-6 6-2 :D another third set win...great fight, would have been easy to quit after the second set

Hele.
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:21 AM

Tennis Fool
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM
If she plays Rock Hill, she just made the cut-off for the main draw :)

Hele.
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
miki lost final 6-3 6-4 :sad: (according to Memoris)
anyway, great tournament :yeah:

Ballbasher
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM
Miki :hug: Great week to build on! :D

auntie janie
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM
:awww: Maybe a little weary after the big SF battle? Anyway, what a week for her! :worship: And what fun for her long-suffering fans to see her reach a final at last, even in a 25K. She's getting in the habit of winning match after match, and that's a great sign for 2010. Keep it up, Miki! :kiss:

AaronJoyB
Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Whats her ranking after this final?

networthy
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Whats her ranking after this final?

Should be ~285-290.

mikireturns
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Outrageous! Mirjana's ranking FELL from 314 to 325 in today's posted Nov 2. WTA tour rankings!

How do they figure THAT, after she just made a final for the first time in forever, and only was defending 10 points from last year's event? It makes no sense! She worked so hard to get to that final. Unless the points she won will be added next week for some reason? Anybody have any idea?

frenchie
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
ITF 25k and lower are added 2 weeks later

Is she going to play Rock Hill?

AaronJoyB
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
ITF 25k and lower are added 2 weeks later

Is she going to play Rock Hill?
yes

auntie janie
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Good! :)

Now I think that Miki was probably pretty nervous to be in her first final in so long. Next time, she'll be better prepared, so watch out. :boxing:

networthy
Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Rock Hill MD is out. In R1 Mirjana plays Alison RISKE (#234). It's gonna be tough: Riske won last month's $50K in Troy (from qualifying). In the process she beat three seeded players--Tatishvili, Gallovits and Brengle--plus Szatmari and McHale, all of whom are ranked in the low 200s or higher.

Best of luck, Mirjana!

AaronJoyB
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Rock Hill MD is out. In R1 Mirjana plays Alison RISKE (#234). It's gonna be tough: Riske won last month's $50K in Troy (from qualifying). In the process she beat three seeded players--Tatishvili, Gallovits and Brengle--plus Szatmari and McHale, all of whom are ranked in the low 200s or higher.

Best of luck, Mirjana!
Yes, Riske is on fire.....good luck Mikica!

So Disrespectful
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:51 AM
Outrageous! Mirjana's ranking FELL from 314 to 325 in today's posted Nov 2. WTA tour rankings!

How do they figure THAT, after she just made a final for the first time in forever, and only was defending 10 points from last year's event? It makes no sense! She worked so hard to get to that final. Unless the points she won will be added next week for some reason? Anybody have any idea?

Multiple account fail. :lol:

Ballbasher
Nov 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Rocki Hill R1:
Lucic[SE] d. Riske 6-3 2-6 7-5 - saving a MP! :worship: She's grinding out some tough wins lately! :yeah: Riske has won a 50k beating Gallovits 2 & 0 one the way last month. So I would guess she is in very good form! :D
But her draw remains tough with most likely Lee-Waters up next and she must be tired already. :o Best of luck though :D

tennismaster8820
Nov 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM
^^
Great win indeed :D, she used to lose such matches every week!

JURasic
Nov 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Great job Miki!!!!

Next, she'll play Rampre, who defeated LLW (5)

networthy
Nov 4th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Excellent win! With this she'll move up to ~275-280, her highest ranking in years.

Good luck against Rampre! You can do it!

AaronJoyB
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Mirjana Fan Page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Mirjana-Lucic/179474339740?ref=ts

AaronJoyB
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I will post Mirjana scores on that facebook page and on my Twitter at: http://twitter.com/Migrate76

MLF
Nov 5th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Just saw on Simone's Twitter that Miki beat Rampre 6-4 6-3 and is into the quarter finals :D Next up is Lepchenko or Couts. Miki must be feeling really motivated at the moment by these recent results to keep playing. I think it was important for her to finish the year well to ensure we see her out there next year.

Ballbasher
Nov 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Miki :inlove: :yeah: :D

Hele.
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM
miki :bounce:

networthy
Nov 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Well done, Mirjana! With this, she'll move up to ~270-275. Her ranking hasn't been that high in many years!

In the QF she plays Varvara Lepchenko, who beat Kimberly Couts 75 64.

Lepchenko--#106, #1 seed and #84 career-high--will be very tough :scared: The two glimmers of hope are that she hasn't been in particularly good form over the past six months and that she gave up 3 more games to Couts than Lucic did recently (Lucic beat Couts last week 63 63).

Good luck, Mirjana!

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 5th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Ajmo Mikica! :inlove:

Sherpard
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Now Mirjana has a best16 of 176pts as actual #266.
Lepchenko is a very difficult obstacle, but Mirjana is playing very well now. Everything is possible!

croat123
Nov 6th, 2009, 03:14 AM
good luck miki! i'm not expecting anything from the lepchenko match, it'll be tough. just hope she can keep improving her form

AaronJoyB
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:39 PM
75 63!!! Wonnnnn

Jerraj
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Ok, this is really great!!! :bounce: Miki is on fire, to bad season is ending..

frenchie
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
amazing win again!

auntie janie
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
75 63!!! Wonnnnn

I was looking at your twitter page when you posted the final score! :D CONGRATS, MIKI! :woohoo:

Hele.
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM
:eek: :bounce:

AaronJoyB
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM
amazing win again!

I was looking at your twitter page when you posted the final score! :D CONGRATS, MIKI! :woohoo:

Its easier for me posting on twitter. Great effort!

frenchie
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
the AO qually draw is getting closer and closer!

croat123
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:57 PM
i think that if miki makes the finals, she will miss next week's even in arizona...it's a 50K so she wouldn't qualify for an SE

xcrtbckhnd
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
i think that if miki makes the finals, she will miss next week's even in arizona...it's a 50K so she wouldn't qualify for an SE
Well that would rather suck, but I'm just sooooo happy to see what she's finally accomplishing. We've all waited so long for this to happen and it seems like she's really getting back into some devastating form. Totally agree with the poster who wrote that it was important for her to end the year on a good note to make sure she keeps going next year.
What would the AO quali cut-off be approximately?

frenchie
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Well that would rather suck, but I'm just sooooo happy to see what she's finally accomplishing. We've all waited so long for this to happen and it seems like she's really getting back into some devastating form. Totally agree with the poster who wrote that it was important for her to end the year on a good note to make sure she keeps going next year.
What would the AO quali cut-off be approximately?

If I remember correctly it was around 300 a few years ago

Some players don't commit because of the long trip

Ballbasher
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Miki will be pretty tired after those 2 weeks anyways and I don't know, if it would work that great, if she has to play quallies. :shrug:
Fantastic win Miki! :speakles: :worship: :inlove: Tough match against fellow countrywoman Mijacika ahead. :unsure:

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 7th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Wow Mirjana :eek: :bounce:

AaronJoyB
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:03 AM

I don't see the problem. She is playing Rock Hill and she is doing good. Obviously she'll skip Phoenix cause she is even tired

frenchie
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Mirjana still has Toronto quallies the week after
and she just committed to a 25k in Mexico the following week

Ballbasher
Nov 7th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Miki lost to Mijacika 6-4 5-7 4-6. :hug: Don't take it too hard after 2 consecutive great weeks! :D

IanRansomNotes
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM
A tough loss today, but Mirjana must have been exhausted after the final in Puerto Rico, the plane trip, then four more matches. Her best tennis in years and, by the end of 09, she will be in the Top 250 without a doubt. Phoenix, Toronto, and Mexico--everything is bonus-points for her now. The Lepchenko win was her best of the year. Basically a beat-down over a top 100-ish player. That has to feel good. The coming rankings jump will serve her well in next year's challengers--no more qualifying just to get into 25K events. She can make some headway, at last. She's out of that deadly 350+ rankings mud!

AaronJoyB
Nov 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
More info on miki on my twitter!

auntie janie
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM
What a great two weeks it's been for Miki! She's smart to skip Phoenix and take the time to rest and re-charge her batteries. Good luck in Toronto, kid! :wavey::kiss:

Thanks for the news, Simone. :angel:

networthy
Nov 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Very nice jump up in the rankings for Mirjana this week (after Bayamon): she moved up 37 spots, from 325 to 288. Expect another move up next week, to ~260-265, after the Rock Hill points are counted.

Well done, Mirjana!

auntie janie
Nov 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
That's huge! Isn't there a rule that only the top 275 can enter Premier events? Maybe I imagined it! :D

AaronJoyB
Nov 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Toronto qualy draw to be out later today

Ballbasher
Nov 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Mirjana will meet Theiler in the opening round. :) All the best Miki! :D
Do you think you will be able to twitter, Memoirs? :)

auntie janie
Nov 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Do they play today?

networthy
Nov 15th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Mirjana beat Theiler easily, 61 61. In QR2 she plays Nicole Rottmann (#732, career-high #501). Good luck, Mirjana!

Ballbasher
Nov 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Miki :D Good Luck against Rottmann!

Quite funny to think that Lepchenko[who was beaten by Miki last week] double bagelled de los Rios[who beat Miki the week before]. That's tennis! :inlove:

xcrtbckhnd
Nov 15th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Miki through to final qualifying round now vs Maureen Drake. No idea what to make of this match-up, Mo's been winning easily so far, but hasn't really played this year at all - probably just playing for fun here I guess, but could still be dangerous.

Ballbasher
Nov 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Miki :yeah: :D

MLF
Nov 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Mirjana beat Drake 6-2 6-4 to qualify for the main draw, hope she gets a good slot. Sounds like she played a tidier match than she did against Rottmann.

tennisfan5
Nov 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Mirjana up to #261 in the rankings this week:bounce: She's on a roll!

xcrtbckhnd
Nov 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Yes!!!! I think one of the 3 slots in the bottom half would give her the best chances, maybe against either Pelletier or Yuan would be best, but really she's got an excellent chance of getting to the 2nd round no matter who she plays. It could just get a bit tougher in the 2nd round depending on which slot she gets. But first things first, just win the first round match and we can go from there. If Miki reaches the quarters here, should be in Top 250 in rankings too! Ao qualies is becoming a distinct possibility for her if she can do well here and in Mexico, it'll be close, but not completely unrealistic.

Ballbasher
Nov 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM
All the best in Main Draw! :D And good win! :yeah:

frenchie
Nov 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Where can we find tha AO qualifying cut off for the past few years??

GL in the MD anyway
Each win will improve her ranking slowly now

AaronJoyB
Nov 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM
http://twitter.com/Migrate76 placed

xcrtbckhnd
Nov 16th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Oh Kimberly in the 1st round, I think that means Varvara looming in the second, and we all probably know what a tear Varvara has been on of late. Well nothing that Miki can't handle hopefully!

Krijes Sedam
Nov 17th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Where can we find tha AO qualifying cut off for the past few years??

Here's for this year, but there is no ranking data :(
http://wta-docs.performgroup.com/posting/2009/901/QS.pdf

networthy
Nov 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Oh Kimberly in the 1st round, I think that means Varvara looming in the second, and we all probably know what a tear Varvara has been on of late. Well nothing that Miki can't handle hopefully!

Lepchenko withdrew. Whoever wins between Mirjana and Couts will play the winner of Aniko Kapros and lucky loser Gail Brodsky.

Ajmo, Mirjana!

auntie janie
Nov 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Couts again! I guess these two know each other's games pretty well by now. :tape:

Ballbasher
Nov 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Miki lost 4-6 6-1 4-6. :hug: :( I don't think she will make Melbourne!

frenchie
Nov 18th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Miki lost 4-6 6-1 4-6. :hug: :( I don't think she will make Melbourne!

She still has that 25k in Mexico where she'll be seeded I think

Moreover, lots of players decide not to make the trip to Australia for the quallies. Being ranked 250 could be enough;)

networthy
Nov 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Mijana is up to #9 on the entry list for next week's Puebla tournament. Hopefully she'll be seeded!

croat123
Nov 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
she will...the entry list doesn't take into account current rankings :)

networthy
Nov 22nd, 2009, 02:54 AM
^ Good point! I forgot about that.

croat123
Nov 22nd, 2009, 03:49 AM
I think she'd be smart to fly over to europe after this and try to get into AO qualies

tennisfan5
Nov 23rd, 2009, 03:08 AM
up to #256 in the rankings this week! that's an improvement of 167 places since the end of last year. Hopefully she'll have a nice showing this tourney

auntie janie
Nov 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
That improvement in her ranking is enough to make a HUGE difference in what tournaments Miki can enter next year. She can now enter every level of tournament :angel:, and when she plays ITFs she is far less likely to need to go through qualies.

Hope she can end her season on a good note in Puebla. :D