PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana Lucic Comeback Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

ajmo!
Apr 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM
MIki! :kiss: :banana:

auntie janie
Apr 10th, 2009, 01:14 AM
(1)Jorgelina Cravero (ARG) d. (Q)Mirjana Lucic (CRO) 63 64 :bigcry:

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Saw that one coming... :(

jela_dokic
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Next up Osprey? good luck to her...:)

roxi
Apr 11th, 2009, 07:20 AM
She needs few QFs or SFs if she wants to enter TOP 300!!! Fight Miki!!!

ajmo!
Apr 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I expect good results from her in clay season. She needs some SFs. I seems to me that if she could enter MD directly that then she could win a lot more matches. :confused:
GL in Osprey, to bad she didn't got WC for Charleston!

Sherpard
Apr 12th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hi guys! :wavey:

In Osprey Mirjana has to play against Julia Courter (USA) in the first round of qualification draw. I think Lucic can beat her easily. :sport:

But in the second round she'll probably find Laura Granville (:banghead:) which is back to play one month ago after one-year stop and she has just won in Redding (also through the qualification). In 2008-Midland Granville defeat Lucic 64 60 in the first main-draw round. :rolleyes:

Good luck Mirjana! :yeah:

MLF
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Mirjana won and plays Granville tomorrow. They have met twice and Laura leads 2-0. First match was on hard court and the second indoors. The scores were 5-7 6-3 6-1 and 6-4 6-0. So it'll be tough for Miki but now is the time for a win as it's on clay which is by far Laura's weakest surface and Laura is still in the early days of her comeback.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 13th, 2009, 06:50 AM
She'll need to be feeling hot off the ground and on serve to have any shot against Laura, even early on in her comeback. Good luck, Mirjana.

AaronJoyB
Apr 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Mirjana beats Laura 62 75

Hele.
Apr 13th, 2009, 08:31 PM
:eek:
:bounce:

ajmo!
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
:bounce: I'm so happy for her. She plays good on clay again. :banana:

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Nice win! :eek: Surprised me. :)

MLF
Apr 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Good win for Miki :D She plays Chichi Scholl in the final round of qualies. Scholl had a useful win over Sabine Klaschka, but I think Sabine is coming back from injury so it was a good time to play her.

ajmo!
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Miki actually won 63 75, but that doesn't matter. Tnx for score Simone. I am actually afraif because this Scholl double bageled some girl with rank around 300.:scared: And Klascka is quite good player as well. I was not scared before Granville but I am before Chichi Scholl? :lol: I know, it sounds stupid bad I have a bad feeling. I honestly hope I am wrong. Kill her Miki tomorrow! GL! :D

croat123
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Really surprised me with this result :eek: good luck tomorrow...gotta finish the job against Scholl

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 14th, 2009, 12:04 AM
C'mon Mirjana - don't let someone named "chichi" beat you!!!!

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:24 AM
C'mon Mirjana - don't let someone named "chichi" beat you!!!!
LMAO

auntie janie
Apr 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Awww, Miki beat Laura! :hearts: I never expected this happy result. It's annoying that she still needs to beat Chichi to earn a single ranking point, but hopefully she'll find her range again and go through to the MD easily. :angel: Good luck, Miki! Your fans are behind you. :kiss:

frenchie
Apr 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
so much energy to earn a miserable point!

AaronJoyB
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Mirjana won 60 60..Main Draw now!

ajmo!
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Mirjana! :eek: :bounce:
And I was afraid..:lol:
Let this tournament be the one. We are waiting a real thing now a year and a half. Hopefully Osprey will be a happy playe for us all. But lets take it one step at the time. GL in MD and big congrats for fantastic win today! :D

croat123
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM
great win :yeah:

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:28 PM
double bagel :haha: way to do it, miki. :yeah:

ajmo in md :D

auntie janie
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Former rising star still shining
Mirjana Lucic resurrecting a career that got sidetracked

By Mic Huber (mic.huber@heraldtribune.com)

Published: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 1:00 a.m.

OSPREY - Mirjana Lucic has been through a lot in her life, so when she called a meeting with Laura Granville in the second round of a qualifying tournament "a little bit crazy" it was clear that Monday's match was pretty unusual.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SH&Date=20090414&Category=ARTICLE&ArtNo=904141033&Ref=AR&Profile=2050&MaxW=250&border=0
(http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090414/ARTICLE/904141033/2050/SPORTS?Title=Former-rising-star-still-shining#)Lucic

The Oaks Club $25,000 USTA Challenger officially opens today with the start of main draw matches, but it really hit the big-time Monday when Lucic and Granville got together on the stadium court in a match that brought together a pair of players with strong pedigrees at a much higher level.

There was a time that either of these two could have been playing on center court at Wimbledon or the U.S Open instead of the relative obscurity of the stadium court at The Oaks Tennis Club, where Lucic prevailed 6-3, 7-5.

In fact, they have had their Grand Slam moments, and more, on big stages on the women's tour.
Lucic, who now lives in Sarasota, was a teenage phenom who reached the semifinals of Wimbledon in 1999 and had a ranking of No. 34 in the world in 1998.

Granville, who has reached the third round of all four Grand Slam tournaments, was ranked No. 28 in 2003.
Both players, each now 27 years old, are attempting comebacks following long layoffs. Neither wanted to see the other in the second round of a qualifying event, playing just to keep their hopes alive for a spot in a relatively minor professional tournament.

"For sure it is unusual," Lucic said. "But it is great for the tournament, and for people to see some very good matches."

Lucic is simply thrilled to be back playing after injuries and personal troubles derailed a tennis career that seemed destined for the fast track.

As a wild-card qualifier in 1997 at a tournament in her native Croatia, Lucic won the first pro event she ever played. At the age of 15 years, one month and 25 days, she became the fifth youngest player in the history of women's professional tennis to win a title.

She followed that up by reaching the final of her second event. That same year she reached the third round at the U.S. Open.

She won a grand slam title when she teamed with Martina Hingis to win the Australian Open in 1998, the first doubles event she ever played professionally. A year later she was playing singles on center court at Wimbledon, beating Monica Seles on the way to the semifinal before losing to Steffi Graf.

She seemed to be a star on the rise but the glow dimmed dramatically from personal troubles, including a highly publicized estrangement from her father. She gained weight, she lost drive and focus.

Now slim and trim, and happy to be playing, Lucic is excited about the potential of a comeback and a climb back up the ranking ladder.

Moments before her match with Granville, Lucic passed time jumping rope. Shortly after wrapping up the win, Lucic took a lap around the facility. Except for a couple of tense moments during the match when she let a couple of games slip away, Lucic clearly enjoyed her day.

"I have been working really hard and I am really excited about coming back," Lucic said. "I have been getting better and better.

"I never retired. I always kept working. This is what I want to do and I feel like I am in the right place in my life. I have a great family and friends around me."

And a new coach, Sarasota resident Alberto Gutierrez. The two seem to have found some magic as Lucic has already qualified for three events this year.

"We were hoping to get a wild card into the main draw," Gutierrez said about the Sarasota tournament. "But now that this match is over, I think this is best. Mirjana needed this match. I think she is going to do really well this summer."

The final round of qualifying will be played today, with the winners of the eight matches advancing to the main draw of the USTA pro tournament. The main draw will get under way with three first-round matches.
Lucic plays for a spot in the main draw when she meets Chichi Stoll on the stadium court at 10 a.m.

For ticket and tournament information, call (941) 966-3605.

//www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090414/ARTICLE/904141033/2050/SPORTS?Title=Former-rising-star-still-shining (http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090414/ARTICLE/904141033/2050/SPORTS?Title=Former-rising-star-still-shining)

croat123
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the article...it really is crazy when two players who have been on the big stage at all four majors meet in challenger qualies. miki sounds happy and like she is fighting, which is the best part.

auntie janie
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I know! It's great how happy and eager she sounds. I also loved the fact that she didn't go into any details at all about the problems with her father. Maybe she has finally been able to put all that behind her. Nothing can stop you now, Miki! :hug:

ajmo!
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Miki sounds so good. And I would say she's unhappy beacuse of bad results bad she is happy just to be back and that's fanstastic. She loves tennis and she would do anything just to play. She will be awarded for her hope and love. Keep enjoying in the game, big wins will came! :hug:

jumpingjoe
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Very nice article. The last time I posted here I was quite critical of Lucic and her loses to no-name players due to tons of UE's. However, it is nice to see that she is still optimistic and working hard. Also, it was great to read that there is a new coach in the mix, hopefully he can help her control her game. I totally agree that the win over Granville is huge for her. Honestly, I would love nothing more than for her to start going deep in a few of these challengers. I think until she starts winning more matches her chances of recieving wildcards anywhere are slim.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 15th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Nice article. :)

When does she play her 1R?

ajmo!
Apr 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Nice article. :)

When does she play her 1R?

Today.

MLF
Apr 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Mirjana won and plays the winner of Adamczak and Sema tomorrow. Unless there were any late withdrawals she beat 6th seeded Lepore as I'm going by tomorrow's schedule.

ajmo!
Apr 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Bravo! Great week! :worship: :bounce:
BTW-she's now 1st alt. for Dothan so she will play qualies there, unless she will still be in Osprey! :D

croat123
Apr 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM
dothan might give her an mdwc...they have in the past
two awesome wins this week (+ a double bagel). miki must really feel good about herself now--i'm so impressed with her results this week, hopefully this is the true beginning of her comeback

croat123
Apr 15th, 2009, 09:48 PM
6-2 6-2 :eek:

networthy
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Excellent win for Mirjana. She beat the #6 seed, Agustina LEPORE (#238), convincingly.

Good luck against Adamczak!

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Ajmo Mirjana! keep it up :p

ajmo!
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:25 AM
62 62? :eek:
I didn't see this coming. Sema was in good form on clay and than Adamczak beat her easily. And if she beats her Miki has great draw for SF or even F. It's not gonna be easy, but looks like Miki really can do it! :banana:

frenchie
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I'm excited for Mirjana right now!
Great things are coming for her

I want her in the top 200 at the end of the year before going even higher

croat123
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM
got the first set with a bagel...gotta keep her level up in the second now

ajmo!
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM
:crying2: 60 46 46
And it was 60 44..
It soo hard. Miki seems to have the game, she is doing everything to do something good and now this. She never gets anything easy. She was winning sets really easily the hole tournament but that is only 8 points on the end. And she is so much better than this 400th place she holds in ranking. It would have been easier if she would lost 62 61. Miki, keep going! Rule in Dothan! You deserve all the best! :hug:

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM
got the first set with a bagel...gotta keep her level up in the second now
cant believe she lost after I read this post :crying2:

sob sob sob that one hurt.. get it back in Dothan, Miki. Damn, she had the train rolling for a while. :sobbing:

Kai
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:25 PM
oh Miki :o :sad: :hug:

croat123
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM
it looked so hopeful. really reminds me of the dokic match last year...she had a great shot at the title and was a set 5-3 and mps up on dokic and then just lost it. it took her almost a whole year to regain that form, hopefully she doesn't lose it again

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:58 PM
it looked so hopeful. really reminds me of the dokic match last year...she had a great shot at the title and was a set 5-3 and mps up on dokic and then just lost it. it took her almost a whole year to regain that form, hopefully she doesn't lose it again
I was so happy Dokic came back to win that. :lol: But yeah, that was another tough one to swallow for Mirjana. :sad:

Onward and upward.

ajmo!
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Well, she played good after that match with Dokic also but she didn't had luck with draw. She played Brianti few times. And than she lost in Biella to Gabba in a really close match. After that she was sick and then her level falt down a bit. But this 60 46 46 killed me. At least she knows she have it. To win a set 60 against player ranked around 250th is really good, not a lot of player out there who could do it. But she choked today. And 2 times. It should have been an easy 2 set win. It's in my head the hole day, can't forget it. :(
I have a feeling she would win if she would take 1st set with 63 or 64, don't know why. :confused: She was probablyy to nervous because she took set 60 and felt like she needs to win wich has multiplied the number of UE, I guess. I don't have any other explanation.

auntie janie
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Okay, Mirjana still has her erratic moments, we know that. We also know she sometimes has some trouble closing out. But for the 2nd time this year, she won four matches in a row, and this time she beat better players. Step by step, people! She's coming along. :angel:

She didn't get the Dothan MDWC, but has made it into the qualy field. Hope she gets off to a good start there and just keeps going. Little by little, she's getting her game together now. It's just not going to happen quickly, we just have to accept that.

Good luck in Dothan, kid! :kiss:

ajmo!
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090417/ARTICLE/904171044/2255/SPORTS?Title=Lucic-loses-after-6-0-opening-set-#
OMG Miki had set and a break in 2nd. :(
She looks pretty ''crazy'' on this picture. Ajmo MIkica!

croat123
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
and she lost the break thanks to double faults :sad:

ajmo!
Apr 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
and she lost the break thanks to double faults :sad:

Yes, but better that tahn 4 winners from Adamczak. Because Miki can beat them all. She has quality for much mor. She is ranked 407, but she never looses to lover ranked players and it's hard. But she has the game. Looks like she is really putting things together. And I am really sad because of points she didn't won but I have a really good feeling for her future. She needs one big win like this yesterday or in matches like Dokic, Tanasugarn to move it all. Once when that hapens she will soon be over these Challengers. And lets just hope Dothan will be the place to do it. At this point I feel like Miki can beat anybody owerthere. So GL honey and colm down!
I am writing alot about Miki lately. Just hoping that she's gonna show what can she really do. :wavey:
Plus the medias on this tournament were mostly writing about Miki and about her game. And they didn't give any that mutch space to any other player, not even to home comeback star Granville. That must mean that they concidered Miki as a few levels beyond this other players. Or they were just cheering for her.:D

networthy
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Mirjana is in Dothan qualies. In R1 she plays Sabine KLASCHKA (#435; career-high #133). The winner plays either Mashona WASHINGTON (#327; career high #50) or the #6 seed, Alexis PROUSIS (#286). After that, it could be the #1 seed, Alina Jidkova (#252; career high #51).

Good luck to Mirjana--she's going to need it!

AaronJoyB
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
http://ajmomirjana.blogspot.com/2009/04/dothan-75k-qualy-r1-lucic-won.html

croat123
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:46 PM
good win for miki :D

ajmo!
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I am not really happy with this reslut but she won and that's most important. Should have been in 2 sets.
GL in QR2!

jela_dokic
Apr 20th, 2009, 01:03 AM
next up Mashona Washington....:S

Good Luck Mikika....:D

networthy
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Hope she can win at least one more match. So far she has picked up 1 point but another win would give her 4 points.

jela_dokic
Apr 20th, 2009, 04:09 AM
yeah....now she is ranked 432 with 86 points, but with the 9 points from Osprey last week that would be added next monday, will put Mirjana again with 95 points....near again to top 400.... and it would be even better if she get more points from Dothan this week and from Charlottsville next week to get more places inside the top 400...

Good luck Miki....:D

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Go on, Mirjana. Ajmo!

ajmo!
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:02 PM
She is much better player than this 400th place but she's not ''smart'' as some are an she's not playing challnegers where LD is ranked around 1000#. Really she could go ona play some of those in Asia and Australia, even Africa and she would be really quick in top 200. But for that you need money to travel a lot. :wavey:

croat123
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM
she won!! was down 2-4 0-40 in the third
had some problems with short balls, but this was a very big improvement over the match with koethavong. her serve was good and her groundstokes were a lot more reliable.

ajmo!
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Well, maybe this is even better, to win in 3 sets. She was so good in Osprey and than lost in a stupid way. Hopfeully she will recover for tomorrow. GL Miki!

ajmo!
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:51 PM
She's gonna play tomorrow her 26th match in this season:eek:
So far 17 wins and 8 looses in this season. It's not bad at all.

frenchie
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
She had a good serving day today. very few DFs
Short balls, net play, drop shots and smarts around the court are still not her favorite shots though...

this win earned her 4 points

croat123
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM
agreed. i'd also say she was pretty solid from the back of the court, but could have gotten more returns into play

croat123
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:26 PM
she was just on local dothan tv...sounded very positive. her confidence is up and she feels go

Sherpard
Apr 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Mirjana won against Washington in 2nd round (63 46 64) and now she'll play against the american Katie Ruckert. I saw she beated Jidkova in 2nd round in two sets. I think she's a very difficult opponent for Mirjana, but if she was able to beat Klashcka and Washington...

ajmo!
Apr 21st, 2009, 01:14 PM
By Ken Rogers http://www.dothaneagle.com/dea/sports/local/article/ken_rogers_former_teen_phenom_mirjana_lucic_on_com eback_trail/69161/

Published: April 20, 2009

Here’s what’s cool about the Movie Gallery Pro Classic: Some stories get better after you get back to the office.

Fans were treated to a great qualifying match Monday morning at the Wiregrass Tennis Center’s Stadium Court.

For more than two hours, Mashona Washington and Mirjana Lucic traded lasers as they fought gamely just to make it into the main draw of the tournament, which officially begins today.

Lucic, playing despite a tweaky abductor muscle near her left hip, took the first two games of the third set.

Washington, 31, answered with a four-game run and appeared to take control of the match.

Lucic, 27, dug deep and rattled off four consecutive games to complete a 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 victory.

She plays today against Katie Ruckert for one of the four qualifying spots in the main draw.

“It was really tough,” the tall (5-foot-11) blonde from Croatia said after the match.

“The strained muscle, she was playing really well and I was almost out. I fought really hard. I’m proud of myself. It was a tough match to win.”

Nice story, right? Only there is a familiarity with that name. And her face. That familiarity prompted a Google search. Wow.

More than a decade ago, she was one of the hottest up-and-coming players in the sport. She was the third player to win two junior Grand Slams by the age of 14 when she won the 1996 Junior U.S. Open and the 1997 Junior Australian Open.

She won the first WTA Tour event she ever played, at Bol, Croatia, in 1997.

At 15 years, 1 month and 25 days, she was the fifth-youngest player ever to win a title. Only Tracy Austin, Kathy Rinaldi, Andrea Jaeger and Jennifer Capriati were younger champions.

In her second WTA event, she lost in the finals at Strasbourg. She defended her title the next year at Bol. She was a 1998 semifinalist at the Italian Open and a 1999 Wimbledon semifinalist. She won the Australian Open doubles title in 1998 with Martina Hingis.

She was ranked No. 32 in the world on May 11, 1998. She was 16.

And then ... it was gone. Yes, there were injuries. She suffered a shoulder injury early in 2000 and a knee injury after that.

But those paled next to the mental challenges in her life — on and off the court.

Even at the height of her singles success, she couldn’t enjoy it. She accused her father and coach, Marinko Lucic, of physical and emotional abuse. Her mother, Andelka, moved Mirjana and her four siblings to Florida.

After the injuries, success was elusive. She played sporadically, then not at all.

“I just had some personal things,” she said cautiously. “I just wasn’t playing.”

She made two appearances in Dothan in 2004 and 2005, but those were her only events.

She didn’t play at all in 2006 and appeared in just three events in 2007. Ultimately, something rekindled her love for the game. She decided to come back in 2008.

“It took me the whole last year to get back and start putting four or five wins together,” she said. “I’m able to do that now.”

Her work is just starting. Her singles ranking had fallen to No. 423 at the end of last year.

But she is excited again, particularly after passing a tough test on Monday. She started dialing the cell phone as soon as she left the court.

“My mom,” she explained. “My mom and my sisters. And my coach.”

So what prompted the comeback?

“I missed it so much,” she said. “I love the game and I know that I have so many good tournaments in me. I definitely want to do it again. I want to work my way all the way up and do what I’m capable of.”

frenchie
Apr 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Nice article!
The last feew weeks are encouraging

Her coach is not travelling with her??

croat123
Apr 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
60 61!!!!

tennismaster8820
Apr 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Great scoreline! :D :bounce:

TeamUla
Apr 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Come on, Miki! :)

If she plays in Zagreb in July I would even see her. ;)

ajmo!
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:09 PM
Come on, Miki! :)

If she plays in Zagreb in July I would even see her. ;)

That's really hardly possible.

AaronJoyB
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM
That's really hardly possible. not possible at all

croat123
Apr 21st, 2009, 07:27 PM
there's no way she's playing in zagreb
hopefully she bounces over to europe soon though...

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 21st, 2009, 08:06 PM
Good win Mirjana :rocker2:

croat123
Apr 21st, 2009, 09:32 PM
She plays Litvak who got in as an LL (lost 6-7 6-1 6-1 to Adamczak). Didn't get on center court :mad:

ajmo!
Apr 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
Well, Litvak should be good draw. And then hopefully she will be on center court in R2 against Akgul! :yeah:

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 21st, 2009, 11:16 PM
Mirjana matches up well to Akgul. I like this draw. :)

croat123
Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:38 AM
^^
I agree. Should just have too much power for Akgul to handle. Gotta get by Litvak first though--I'm nervous cause the match is worth a lot of points for Miki (and a top400 spot)

jumpingjoe
Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:16 AM
Wow, this is great for Miki...she really seems to be finding her form. I was quite critical after watching her play Keothavong and had pretty much lost all hope I had for a successful comeback. I would LOVE to see her prove me wrong and she is definately starting to do so. Its great to see her qualify for a 75K challenger. Hopefully her muscle strain doesnt get worse because I feel she has a shot at making a quater/semifinal here. GO MIKI!!!!

Does anyone know her next few tourneys? There are a bunch of challengers over the next few months in the US...I think she should stay and play all of them instead of going to Europe. It would be better for her to play these and get some match wins than to go and loose 1st round.

croat123
Apr 22nd, 2009, 04:18 AM
^^
I saw part of her second round qualies match and she was a lot better than in Auckland--her serve was solid and her groundstrokes were much more consistent. Transition game and net play caused her some problems.
She's playing a challenger next week, but we don't know the rest of her schedule

AaronJoyB
Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Wow, this is great for Miki...she really seems to be finding her form. I was quite critical after watching her play Keothavong and had pretty much lost all hope I had for a successful comeback. I would LOVE to see her prove me wrong and she is definately starting to do so. Its great to see her qualify for a 75K challenger. Hopefully her muscle strain doesnt get worse because I feel she has a shot at making a quater/semifinal here. GO MIKI!!!!

Does anyone know her next few tourneys? There are a bunch of challengers over the next few months in the US...I think she should stay and play all of them instead of going to Europe. It would be better for her to play these and get some match wins than to go and loose 1st round.

$50,000 Charlottesville
$50,000 Indian Harbour Beach

ajmo!
Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Mirjana matches up well to Akgul. I like this draw. :)

akgul is really a claycouter. clay is her far best surface.:(

SM
Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
past two tournaments have been positive...i hope she wins her 1r and upsets Akgul, these are the kind of wins she needs....if she can make QF here or SF its good points

cmon Miki

croat123
Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Great news all around for Miki today...check out the blog: http://ajmomirjana.blogspot.com/
big thanks to Migrate for the scores/info!

AaronJoyB
Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Great news all around for Miki today...check out the blog: http://ajmomirjana.blogspot.com/
big thanks to Migrate for the scores/info!
Thanks to u too

Ballbasher
Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Migrate :worship: Just awesome what greats efforts you do :D
Miki :yeah:

ajmo!
Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
It finally goes in a right way. :yeah:
Miki! :worship:
And thx for all effort Migrate! :wavey:

MLF
Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Good win for Miki, it's good that the last two matches shouldn't have used up too much energy. I like Akgul, but if Miki uses her brain and pummels Akgul's backhand and hits solidly into the spaces when they are there she can definitely win. She'll need to concentrate on her serve though, Akgul usually is pretty solid on serve.

networthy
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Wow, excellent win for Mirjana. That gives her 20 points for the tournament, which should move her up into the 300's (around #375). I don't have much hope that she'll beat Amanmuradova but if she does she'll move up to ~#350, which would be awesome.

cn ireland
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Great win for Lucic:bounce:!

It'd be fantastic if she could beat Akgul:)!!!

Sherpard
Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks the victory against Litvak the Mirjana's best-16 is now 111pts like actual #376. It's the first time in top400 after her comeback!
Godd luck against Ammanmuradova!

AaronJoyB
Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks the victory against Litvak the Mirjana's best-16 is now 111pts like actual #376. It's the first time in top400 after her comeback!
Godd luck against Ammanmuradova!
nice:bounce:

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
Really exciting event for Mirjana!!! Hopefully she keeps this good form going and produces the upset over Akgul! Anyone know what time they are playing? I tried to open the schedule on the USTA site, but it keeps giving me an error message?

croat123
Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
45 minutes...
I'm going to be away from home, but I'll try to record the stream

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Oh I totally forgot that there's a stream! I'll have to check that out!

croat123
Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Gutted for Miki...she had a great chance today. Akgul is definitely not the type of player Miki likes playing (jesus...all those drop shots, yikes). Miki still has some things to work on, but there were many positives to today's match. She was MUCH more consistent than against Keothavong earlier this year. Her serve was better (but still needs to improve). Wish she would get more returns in...
Anyway, there were patches where she was playing top100 tennis. She just needs more matches and more confidence. She wasn't outclassed by any stretch today. Hopefully she will keep her momentum going the next two weeks!

croat123
Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:26 PM
as expected, miki is on the entry list for 50K Raliegh as well. She's an ALT for Q, but she'll get in :)

it'll be interesting to see where she goes from there because the only tournaments in the U.S. after that are 10Ks. still has an outside shot of making RG qualies, but she'll probably have to win the two 50Ks coming up (the deadline is the week after indian harbor).

hope she makes it over to europe to play on grass!

ajmo!
Apr 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
i wish she would play on grass too. some great things could hapen on grass.

TeamUla
Apr 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM
i wish she would play on grass too. some great things could hapen on grass.

Nottingham is the only grass ITF in Europe I think...

ajmo!
Apr 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Nottingham is the only grass ITF in Europe I think...

with this rank and a bit of luck she could get ito rosmalen or birmingham qualies

croat123
Apr 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
how did she get into rosmalen last year? wc?
birmingham tends to have a low cut-off

ajmo!
Apr 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM
i don't think it was wc, but i remember she as not on entry list:confused:
birmingham used to had low cut off but this year there is no other wta tournament in that week(barcelona)so it coul be stronger tournament this year

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
GL in Charlottesville Miki! MD WC should help hopefully! My old college town should bring her luck!

croat123
Apr 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM
it will be nice to skip 3 rounds of qualies. she's already proven she can win those...really hope she gets two wins here minimum

bruce goose
Apr 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM
GL in Charlottesville Miki! MD WC should help hopefully! My old college town should bring her luck!What a small world! I spent many years in Northern Virginia a couple hours north of you before coming home to Mexico....Suerte a` Mirjana man~ana:)

ajmo!
Apr 26th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Miki maybe even got MD without WC 'cause Klaschka was behind her on entry list and she's #1 seeded in qualies. :D :confused:

croat123
Apr 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I think you are right. I guess it's good because I think there is a limit on the number of MDWCs you can get. Hopefully she gets a WC somewhere else

ajmo!
Apr 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
i think she can get 4 WCs in season for MD and 4 for qualies. now i just don't know would she be 1st seeded in qualies without wc or is she actually LD. hopefully she is not in with wc cause then she would have 3 more to use in the season. she already got wc for acukland.

AaronJoyB
Apr 27th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Miki is up 55 spots on Wta ranking

She is now 377

auntie janie
Apr 27th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Miki is up 55 spots on Wta ranking

She is now 377

Finally! Top 400. :D Hope she has a great week in Charlottesville.

ajmo!
Apr 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Miki! :bounce: Next gold- TOP 350. Hopefully already next week. :D

networthy
Apr 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Well, Mirjana got unlucky again. In Charlottesville R1 she plays the #2 seed, Haynes...

ajmo!
Apr 27th, 2009, 08:15 PM
:mad: Really a hard one but Miki can do it. C'mon! :bounce:
Anybody knows Haynes's style? Hope she isn't a defender. :scared:

Hele.
Apr 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
good luck miki!

croat123
Apr 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I swear, just bad luck all around for the Croats in draw this week. i think miki has a shot though...haynes has really only had one great tournament (IW). she's had some bad losses and was easily beaten by Perry last week. Fingers crossed

AaronJoyB
Apr 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Ajmooo:wavey::wavey::wavey:

croat123
Apr 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM
http://ajmomirjana.blogspot.com/
unreal! :D:D:D:D

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I didnt wanna say anything cause I was afraid to jinx, but I knew she would match up well with Haynes :p

AJMO!

ajmo!
Apr 28th, 2009, 06:51 PM
:bounce::bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Miki's the best! :yeah:

ajmo!
Apr 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
With this win Miki will jump to around #355 in rankings next week. But she has Florence QF to defend soo another win here would be good, or maybe even moore. I have to say that I expect now that she will pass 2nd round easily.
And here are the ranking she can reach after this tournament.
With QF #345, with SF #321. with F #289, and with win #273. :eek:
This is all still far and we should take it step by step but our girl just ruled against 2nd seeded.:eek: GL in next round Mikica.
P.S. I want to see her playing on grass so badly. :D

croat123
Apr 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
she's still got an outside shot at wimbledon qualies...i'd love to see her play there. today's win is, in my opinion the best win of her comeback (i know she had those ones against vesnina and rodionova, but this was just a clean win vs. a good player). hope she plays well in the second round!

kfh_9118
Apr 28th, 2009, 11:04 PM
glad to hear Mirjana does well lately :)
Hopefully she can play some more WTA events or even GS this year.

Good luck Mirjana :bounce:

networthy
Apr 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Impressive win! Now Mirjana has an excellent chance of reaching the quarters. In R2 she plays either a WC, Alison Riske, who's #876, or a Q, Tarakaa Bertrand, who's #778...

auntie janie
Apr 29th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Excellent win! Good for Mirjana. :hatoff: I think she's starting to turn the corner now. No letdown now, Mirjana! Bertrand has been playing well recently, a lot better than you'd expect from her ranking. Miki should beat her, but she has to concentrate like she did today. :angel:

croat123
Apr 29th, 2009, 02:52 AM
video :hearts: http://www.nbc29.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=3701590&h1=Lucic%20Beats%20Haynes%20in%20Boyd%20Tinsley%20 Tennis%20Tournament%20Match&vt1=v&at1=News%20-%20Special%20Coverage&d1=52000&LaunchPageAdTag=News%20-%20Special%20Coverage&activePane=info&rnd=55670348
if you can't use that link, go here: http://www.nbc29.com/global/story.asp?s=10266462
those groundies :hearts:

croat123
Apr 29th, 2009, 02:55 AM
http://twitter.com/playtheclay
twitter of someone at the tournament...maybe we can get some updates there

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 29th, 2009, 06:54 AM
video :hearts: http://www.nbc29.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=3701590&h1=Lucic%20Beats%20Haynes%20in%20Boyd%20Tinsley%20 Tennis%20Tournament%20Match&vt1=v&at1=News%20-%20Special%20Coverage&d1=52000&LaunchPageAdTag=News%20-%20Special%20Coverage&activePane=info&rnd=55670348
if you can't use that link, go here: http://www.nbc29.com/global/story.asp?s=10266462
those groundies :hearts:
They're always gorgeous when they go in :hearts:

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Really great win for Mirjana - would absolutely love to see her finally win one of these titles - really hope this is the event!!!

croat123
Apr 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM
article: http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sports/professional/professional_tennis/article/a_step_down_the_comeback_trail/39435/

ajmo!
Apr 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I just wanted to post that article:lol:

Ballbasher
Apr 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I just hope she can keep the momentum going a another match :)

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Anyone know when Mirjana match is scheduled?

croat123
Apr 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM
tomorrow...her second round potential opponents are playing today

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Ah, that makes sense - nice for her to have a day off then. Facing Riske next.

ajmo!
Apr 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Next is Riske, she won 63 61.
I am not really happy with that. Riske tookset to Spears last week so she must be good.
As well I read from someone who was on the tourney that matches could be played inoors. :scared: Miki had been doing so great on clay, I am not really thrilled with indoors. :( But GL tomorrow Mirjana! :D

croat123
Apr 30th, 2009, 02:16 AM
i'm nervous now...that was a good scoreline for riske
i'm also wondering what surface they will play on indoors...

ajmo!
Apr 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM
miki playing at the moment. :scared:
i just saw that she has some chances to get in md of ihb. she is #5 in qualies.

ajmo!
Apr 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Mirjana won 6/1 6/1! :eek: :banana: :bounce: :yeah:
Thanks for scores Migrate! :yeah:
http://ajmomirjana.blogspot.com/

jela_dokic
Apr 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Miki is on fireeeee....:)

Good Luck Mikika!!! Win this one!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
So great for Mirjana to reach the quarterfinals here! I really think she can go all the way!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 30th, 2009, 04:33 PM
miki playing at the moment. :scared:
i just saw that she has some chances to get in md of ihb. she is #5 in qualies.

Yeah - looks like she has a very good shot at getting in. I wouldn't be too surprised to see the 3 Americans ranked ahead of her in qualies all get WC's and then there are 2 players where this isn't their first choice event in the MD, so it's certainly possible!

ajmo!
Apr 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM
And if she gets one more win (sf) she should get SE for IHB, shouldn't she?

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure how that works, but hopefully that way!

frenchie
Apr 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Amazing result again!

The best thing is the way she's beating those players

Ballbasher
Apr 30th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Miki :worship: :yeah: :D Definetely proving she deserves the WC! ;)

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 30th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Ajmo! :D Great win, Mirjana. I'm really proud of her that she's been able to keep up her motivation to this point, even I was losing hope.

Keep going :hearts:

croat123
Apr 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM
And if she gets one more win (sf) she should get SE for IHB, shouldn't she?
i think she needs the finals...IHB qualies don't start till sunday

great win today :) gonna need to keep going at this level now

roxi
Apr 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Well done :)!!!!

frenchie
Apr 30th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Mirjana is on the entry list for 10k Landisville (USA) starting on May 18th which is the same week as Warsaw and RG quallies

This is her first priority BTW
Looks like Mirjana wants to play only in the States

croat123
Apr 30th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hey, if she's willing to play 10Ks then more power to her. Travelling is probably still too expensive--she needs to get the ranking up. Still hoping she play on grass though.
Tomorrow she plays Osterloh. Every match left in this tournament is going to be tough. This next one is woth 14 points so I'm nervous :scared:

WhatTheDeuce
May 1st, 2009, 05:17 AM
C'mon Miki :armed: She can take Lilia, especially on clay. Ajmo.

ajmo!
May 1st, 2009, 07:13 AM
This is gonna be 1st 10k after coemback. But if she does good on next 2 tournaments she probably wont play that tournament. But I found that great. Looks like she just wants to play and that is super. :worship: But I hoped that she would play Santos, she would already be in MD overthere.
She will most probably leave States when she gets her ranking high inouf to play WTA tournaments. :D
And I am :scared: of Lilia, but Miki is in form so Ajmo! :bounce:

ajmo!
May 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM
Mirjana got WC for 50k Indian Harbour Beach! :D

Krijes Sedam
May 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM
Yess! :)

croat123
May 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
great news! hopefully she doesnt' have to use it though...she's close to the MD cut off

Krijes Sedam
May 1st, 2009, 11:40 PM
She lost to Lilia 6:0, 7:5 :(

jela_dokic
May 2nd, 2009, 12:18 AM
Still good tournament!!!

Great Job Miki!!! I´m very proud of you...:)

Good luck next time....Love ya!!!

croat123
May 2nd, 2009, 12:28 AM
lilia has bagelled miki in every match...when they were juniors, she won 6-0 6-2, in birmingham 7-6 6-0, in wimbledon 6-0 2-6 6-2
unreal

croat123
May 2nd, 2009, 04:32 AM
Miki sounds pretty mad at herself:

The Osterloh-Lucic match was an interesting one. Osterloh, a Columbian who played at Stanford, dominated the first set, using a just-get-everything-back style that seemed to annoy Lucic, a former Australian Open doubles champion.
But Lucic battled back hard in the second set. When Osterloh, leading 6-5, double-faulted twice, the match seemed destined for a tiebreaker. However, Lucic made three unforced errors and Osterloh was able to escape with the win.
“It was just one of those days when you play like — I’m not going to say what,” Lucic said, “but I think we all know what I mean.
“It was all me out there making mistakes. The ball was going anywhere but where I wanted it to. It was really frustrating. Nothing was going my way…but she did what she had to do.”

ajmo!
May 2nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Hopefully this was just bad day and wont affect her form on next tournaments.
I just can't get this. I guess Miki was nervous because she already had 2 bagels against her and nervous 'cause semis would be great result and at the end that tourn out to be really bad. I mean losing set 60 when you are in best form? :confused:
I am a bit scared that now she's gonna be nervous in next matches. Hopefully not. :(

ajmo!
May 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
lilia has bagelled miki in every match...when they were juniors, she won 6-0 6-2, in birmingham 7-6 6-0, in wimbledon 6-0 2-6 6-2
unreal

not really. in 2000 and 2003 they were not juniors.

Sectumsempra
May 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
not really. in 2000 and 2003 they were not juniors.

take a second look at the sentence

croat123
May 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
osterloh got destroyed by bychkova :(
really hope miki can come back strong from that loss...

ajmo!
May 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Well Osterloh didn't beat anybody as easy as Miki but I am 100% sure that she would lose badly from Haynes. Looks like this style Osterloh has is just not good for Miki and if she picked things up after match against Adamczak she can do it again, I'm sure. Ajmo!

ajmo!
May 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
she withdrawn that 10k. maybe she's coming to europe.:D

croat123
May 4th, 2009, 12:19 AM
she's too strong for that 10k and it's just too much work for maybe 8 points. only thing that could happen there is that she could have a bad match and lose to someone and then lose confidence.

a sf puts her in the top300. fingers crossed for the draw tomorrow!

auntie janie
May 4th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Here's the ITF wild card rule:

Players who are NOT subject to the Age Eligibility Rule
may receive a total of six (6) singles and six (6) doubles Wild Cards during a
calendar year on the ITF Women’s Circuit. No player may exceed a maximum
of three (3) Wild Cards in the Main Draw or a maximum of six (6) Wild Cards
in the Qualifying Draw of an ITF Women’s Circuit tournament.

So, only 3 MD WCs on the ITF circuit --- looks like WTA WCs must be considered separately. I don't know what the WTA's WC limits are, but I hope Mirjana will be looking to get more of those soon, as her ranking and results improve -- preferably for International Series qualies.

AaronJoyB
May 4th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Up to 345!!!

auntie janie
May 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Up to 345!!!

:hearts: :dance: :hearts:

croat123
May 4th, 2009, 02:31 PM
draw comes out today...hope she gets a good one
345 :hearts:

ajmo!
May 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
345? :D good, i don't expect her to rise alot this week, she has points from florence qf last year to defend. i can't believe that is already a year since she played against dokic. :eek: gl with draw.

MLF
May 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Miki has drawn top seed Melanie Oudin at Indian Harbour. They played a few years ago when Mel was only 15, and Miki won 1-6 6-3 6-3.

croat123
May 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
terrible draw :mad: used the wc too :mad:

WhatTheDeuce
May 4th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Tough draw. :( I remember following that match a few years back though. That was like her first match in ages, if I remember correctly.

ajmo!
May 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM
No luck again! :help:
Hope Miki can upset! Ajmo!

croat123
May 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Tough draw. :( I remember following that match a few years back though. That was like her first match in ages, if I remember correctly.
yup...she popped up in the draw out of nowhere. and i thought it would be her last match after she dropped the first set 1-6 to a 15 year old :o

ajmo!
May 4th, 2009, 07:45 PM
New Miki's blog. this one is on Croatian! Hope you like it. :D
http://www.love_mirjana.bloger.hr/

croat123
May 5th, 2009, 02:25 AM
she plays wednesday

croat123
May 6th, 2009, 03:05 AM
feature match..6pm. i'll try to get scores for us

ajmo!
May 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM
THANKS MAN. :wavey:

ajmo!
May 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Alison Riske, who Miki beat 61 61 last week is now in QFs of IHB. Oh this draw :mad: :crying2:

croat123
May 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
yeah, the draw pitted miki against one of maybe three players she would have had trouble with

jela_dokic
May 10th, 2009, 04:13 PM
it is 12.12 pm ET in NC.... Miki was schedule as 2º in Center Court... Is Miki playing now?

auntie janie
May 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Lucic def. Nakic 64 10 ret. :)

MLF
May 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
She's 1st up today against McPhillips who is unranked. Should be a win for Miki but her opponent played Ryzhonkova, who is seeded here in qualies, to 6-4 7-6 in her only other event this year so obviously knows how to play a bit.

xcrtbckhnd
May 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM
No result yet?

croat123
May 11th, 2009, 08:45 PM
she won 2 and 3 :)

ajmo!
May 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM
:banana:

WhatTheDeuce
May 12th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Wasn't she supposed to play Oudin? :shrug:

croat123
May 12th, 2009, 01:31 AM
that was last week. miki lost 3 and 5 to oudin and oudin went on to win the title...

WhatTheDeuce
May 12th, 2009, 02:33 AM
that was last week. miki lost 3 and 5 to oudin and oudin went on to win the title...
Ohhh ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ajmo Mirjana

ajmo!
May 12th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Miki has good chances to catch Carson 50k MD, starting in 2 weeks. Actually this(Raleigh) tournament should be her last on clay if she stays in States so hopefully she'll do something big. :D Ajmo Miki!

xcrtbckhnd
May 12th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Just go and qualify now Miki and we will all cross our fingers that you get a decent spot in the MD, even though all of the Quali spots are not that great except one! Mirjana will eventually need to learn to step it up and consistently start taking out these players ranked ahead of her anyways. So perhaps the continued challenge of playing top seeds in each tournament will end up benefiting her in the long run. I just wish she got a decent shot to go a little deeper in each event to help out her ranking a bit as well.

AaronJoyB
May 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Just go and qualify now Miki and we will all cross our fingers that you get a decent spot in the MD, even though all of the Quali spots are not that great except one! Mirjana will eventually need to learn to step it up and consistently start taking out these players ranked ahead of her anyways. So perhaps the continued challenge of playing top seeds in each tournament will end up benefiting her in the long run. I just wish she got a decent shot to go a little deeper in each event to help out her ranking a bit as well.
good point:wavey:

ajmo!
May 12th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Miki def. Dabrowski 6/2 6/0. Thanks to Migrate for scores. :D
Just hope Miki can on this last clay tournament do something bigger, like SF.
And another good news is: she is already in MD of Carson 50k.
http://www.itftennis.com/womens/tournaments/tournamentacceptancelist.asp?tournament=1100019551&event=&order=Position
GL Miki! It's really nice now when she has rank to enter this weaker 50k tournaments in States. Keep going Miki! :wavey:

The place I wish Miki to get in MD:
KLASCHKA, Carmen (GER) 4 vs. ROLLE, Ahsha (USA)
RYZHONKOVA, Natalia (RUS) vs. Mirjana LUCIC(CRO) ???
LITVAK, Lena (USA) vs. RUCKERT, Katie (USA)
SIEGEMUND, Laura (GER) vs. LUZHANSKA, Tetiana (UKR) 5

xcrtbckhnd
May 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM
That is good news on 2 fronts!!! WD on qualifying and I agree that this would be her best placement in the MD, so hopefully that's exactly what she will get!

xcrtbckhnd
May 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I'm confused about something - is Mirjana defending 14 points this week from last year's results in Florence or did those already come off?

Ballbasher
May 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Miki :woohoo: :yeah:

auntie janie
May 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I'm confused about something - is Mirjana defending 14 points this week from last year's results in Florence or did those already come off?

Florence points will be coming off this week.

You can always check the Printable rankings to find out what's coming off each week, both in general, at the top of the list, and specifically for each player.

xcrtbckhnd
May 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM
So she's defended 6 of the 14 points so far I believe. She needs to win her 1st round match to actually add points to her ranking then, but hopefully that won't be an issue. I would just so like to see her add more than just 2nd round points this week!

ajmo!
May 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Yes but she already won 6 this week what means that she will lose 7-8 only even if she gets out in R1!

croat123
May 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM
yeah, and if she wins her first round match, she will be at +2 for the week :p 4 wins to gain a net of two points:p at least the qualy draw was weaker this week...she cruised :)

ajmo!
May 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
yeah, but that's life. i guess she must be happy just for being back on courts. she will get where she belongs one day. hopefully it wont be to late for her wishes, grand slam titles. she is already 27 so she has some 3 years to get it on track.

xcrtbckhnd
May 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I think this year is pretty "make it or break it" to be honest. IMHO, she needs to break through eventually to at least the Top 150 this year for her to start calling her comeback a success. I still absolutely believe she has what it takes and most of the matches she loses are more mental losses than anything else. At this point, her game should be fairly grooved, so it's just a matter of staying calm and playing the big points well. She's definitely progressing and just needs that one big result to make a world of difference for her. I really hope it comes here finally!

xcrtbckhnd
May 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
All that said, I will always be her supporter, regardless of her ranking or her results.

AaronJoyB
May 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
bad luck...she drew Oudin again as Mashona withdrew

MLF
May 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM
bad luck...she drew Oudin again as Mashona withdrew

Hopefully she learned from last time and can turn it around. 6-3 7-5 was competitive and Mirjana led 4-1 in the 2nd set so she should feel like she has a chance.

ajmo!
May 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
can't believe 5th tournament in a row miki has to play #1 or #2 seeded player. Mashona really fucked it. i'm really sad..hopefully miki can upset but if she does a miracle and beats malinie she's gonna play muller in r2 and than if she suprises again next could be lilia. :sad: :mad:
this draws lately come from hell!

croat123
May 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM
they play tomorrow at 10am
miki has to win this match or she has no chance of wimbledon qualies (without a wc). so it's either this or she has to fight hard over the summer to get into usopen qualies

jumpingjoe
May 13th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I think this year is pretty "make it or break it" to be honest. IMHO, she needs to break through eventually to at least the Top 150 this year for her to start calling her comeback a success. I still absolutely believe she has what it takes and most of the matches she loses are more mental losses than anything else. At this point, her game should be fairly grooved, so it's just a matter of staying calm and playing the big points well. She's definitely progressing and just needs that one big result to make a world of difference for her. I really hope it comes here finally!

I agree...I would say that Miki needs to be in or around the Top 150 by years end for this comeback to be considered a success. Her results as of late have been really encouraging and she seems to be finding her form although I still think she does too much ball bashing. However, she has to find a way to beat the Oudins and Osterlohs of the tour if she wants to progress. Hopefully she can get a few more good results on th ITF circuit and then progress to some tour events.

xcrtbckhnd
May 13th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I think Mirjana is going to get the win this time!

ajmo!
May 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM
photo from monday's match:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/septguy/3524388688/
she still has that tape on her leg.

xcrtbckhnd
May 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Anyone have a score update? I don't mind calling if someone has the number...

majoli_seles
May 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM
?(919) 781-0468? maybe??

Sherpard
May 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Mirjana loses against Oudin 75 63... bad luck again! :sad:

Now Mirjana's best16 is 119pts like actual #358. She has no points to defend in the next two weeks and there're only 6pts from Roma(Tiro a volo) of last year until the end of Roland Garros.

Does somebody know what tournament she is going to play? :confused:

auntie janie
May 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM
She's in the Main Draw field in the Carson, California 50K which starts May 25.

frenchie
May 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM
she also entered 10k Hilton Head during the second week of RG

croat123
May 15th, 2009, 11:10 PM
good for her :) hope she plays there...

ajmo!
May 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
2 bad she isn't in europe. because of this new rule girls ranked around 200-500 are not entering WTA tournaments as they used 2 so it's easier to get into qualies. but gl on this next tournamets miki, 2 bad clay season is over already. :(

auntie janie
May 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
MIKI RANKING WATCH:

Mirjana retreats, but not very far; she's now 357. No points to defend this week.

I hope she'll play that 10K! Miki needs matches, matches, and more matches.

auntie janie
May 20th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Mirjana has withdrawn from the Hilton Head 10K.

xcrtbckhnd
May 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
Hmm, well, I dunno what to think about the 10K entries and withdrawals to be honest. I would like to see Mirjana keep trying to move the ranking up at larger events to be honest. Eventually she'll have a break through. Hoping that she does well in Carson next week!

ajmo!
May 22nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
I don't now what to think about hard again. SHe did really bad this year on hard, also last year was not good. Hopefully she will pass at least a round or 2 in Carson.
She also entered 25k El Paso, she has good chances to get MD.

croat123
May 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
she drew a seed (as always), but it's winnable. heidi el tabakh
wonder how she will play on the hardcourts--she definitely did much better on clay this year

networthy
Jun 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Mirjana is playing in this week's $25K in El Paso, TX, and finally got a decent draw. In R1 she plays an unranked 17-yo WC, Courtney Dolehide. Dolehide has only played one MD professional singles match in her life; it was in July of last year, at a $10K, and she lost.

The winner (it better be Mirjana!) will play either Kimberly Couts (#8 seed, ranked #310) or Weronika Bloczynska, another unranked WC.

ajmo!
Jun 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM
GL Mirjana!

croat123
Jun 10th, 2009, 11:05 PM
she lost easily and then withdrew from her next event :scared:

auntie janie
Jun 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Since she lost the 2nd set 6-0, if she also withdrew from her next event, there's a good possibility that she's injured again.

I'm afraid this comeback just isn't working. :sad:

Wojtek
Jun 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM
i hope she will get WC for at least one hard court WTA event

auntie janie
Jun 15th, 2009, 01:04 AM
She's withdrawn from both Waterloo (June 22) and Boston (June 29). She pulled out of both this past Wednesday. Things are not looking good.

ajmo!
Jun 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Yup, specially 'cause Boston starts in 2 weeks so it's serious I guess. :scared:

ajmo!
Jun 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
IS MIrjana coming to Europe to play clay court events? Looks like she's in Cuneo qualy list. :eek:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=381951

frenchie
Jun 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Smart choice to play on clay
But there will be some clay court specialists in the draw unlike in US clay events

ajmo!
Jun 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM
She's coming to Europe.:D She entered one 100k in France the following week.
I don't really get why she isn't playing 25k in Spain where she would made it to MD.:confused:
Anyway she should came to Europe in Spring, at least she wouldn't have to play Oudin 2 times in a row. :(

auntie janie
Jun 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM
IS MIrjana coming to Europe to play clay court events? Looks like she's in Cuneo qualy list. :eek:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=381951

Great news! I'm relieved she's not injured. And sticking to clay's not a bad idea; it's not like she would have made it into US Open qualies if she stuck around the US this summer. :( Plus, the US challenger schedule is very meager this year; there are no 25Ks and only three 50Ks here from now through late August. If she can stay in Europe all summer and play most weeks, that would be great.

ajmo!
Jun 19th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Well, it's not like Mirjana plays to play 25Ks anyway. She entered 100Ks. Looks like she maybe wants to play against better players 'cause entering 25Ks would be much smarter for her rank and she wouldn't have to play 3 matches in qualies. She would be directly in MD on any off 4 clay 25Ks events. Maybe she would even be seeded and she would play against girls ranked ~250 to ~500 and would have chance to win many points. This way she is going to have to play against girl ranked 150 to ~500 in qualies just to get MD. I don't se any logic in it. What she needs most are MD wins and points, and she could get that on 25k.

frenchie
Jun 19th, 2009, 01:31 PM
^
I agree

with her ranking being around 350 now, she gets in 25k MD and even 50k MD. A win would be worth 8 to 10 points
But instead she plays 100k quallies where she has to win 3 matches against better ranked players to reach the MD...

I really don't see the point?

ajmo!
Jun 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Looks like Mirjana doesn't have in plan to play ITF tournaments after all. She withdrew from 100k in France, plans to play qualies of WTA Bastad that week, she is 2nd alt. :)
We will be able to follow her with livescore finally.:)
Best of luck in Cuneo and Bastad!

Pebbles
Jun 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Good luck Mirjana!

croat123
Jun 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
6th seed in qualies and a nice draw...

MLF
Jun 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
6th seed in qualies and a nice draw...

She'll need to be ready though - both her possible 2nd round opponents have played Cabeza Candela to 3 sets recently on clay and she is seeded to meet Gabba who beat her 6-4 7-6 on clay last year. Fingers crossed.

ajmo!
Jun 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM
She'll need to be ready though - both her possible 2nd round opponents have played Cabeza Candela to 3 sets recently on clay and she is seeded to meet Gabba who beat her 6-4 7-6 on clay last year. Fingers crossed.

I think she has to play only 1 qualy round.

Pebbles
Jun 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Good luck Mirjana!

jela_dokic
Jul 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM
Mirjana is the Alt 2 on Bastad and Alt 13 on Palermo.... two WTA events...

Good Luck Mirjana!!!

ajmo!
Jul 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Mirjana entered qualies in Bastad. :D

MLF
Jul 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
De Gubernatis who beat Mirjana in qualies this week just beat top 100 Petkovic today in the main draw. These girls always seem to find their form in the week they play Mirjana :mad:

ajmo!
Jul 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
Yup, true. Still I would kind off expect Miki to beat Petkovic or any other ''around 100'' player in the start of her comeback. we have to face the fact that something is not going good in this comeback, not at all. :sad:

jela_dokic
Jul 2nd, 2009, 02:04 AM
just be patien...Mirjana will see the light and will return to the top 100...soon

Give her a chance to prove herself...

ajmo!
Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
I didn't say she wont. i just said that we shouldn't say those things like: she lost to a good girl. mirjana is better then they all are and i am sure she will make it, just also sad cause she is not doing that good at the moment. but every new tournament i have hope she will play again like she used 2, and i am sure one day she will be back. :wavey: ajmo miki! :bounce: