PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana Lucic Comeback Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:09 PM
2-2

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
She needs this hold. Needs.

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Ugh LOL I need to stop expecting anything from this match, just such stupid errors whenever she gets into an opportunistic spot...

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
so hard to watch this match, so many ups and downs from Miki in such a short period.
Jankovic seems to play better as well here compared to against Simona in the first round

fouc
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
her attitude is kinda questionable too. why is she going to the ump all the time? it's so weird and unprofessional.

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
3 BPs chance, don't waste them Miki, please

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
took the second BP, 3-3 now.

Hold Miki, c'mon you still have a chance here

WhatTheDeuce
For the love of God, please hold :sobbing: Please :tears:

JLC
Hold

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
30-0 Cmon

fouc
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
veeeery bad attitude ;/

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:24 PM
Lol

JLC
JJ is rattled by Lucic's attitude, she was afraid to challenge that last baseline forehand

WhatTheDeuce
LOL she's arguing about very odd things, I must say

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
a lot of complaint from Miki, she shouldn't have done that.
The umpire clearly was on her side, now the umpire might not want to overrule again :lol:

break here again Miki, c'mon

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
she's going for her shots too much, but that's Lucic :lol:

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
LOL of course once she holds, she can't win a point on return

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Deuce, AJMO!

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
Omg. Hold Serve

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
what a point from Lucic :eek:

I kept thinking she would hit it inches long

She breaks :bounce:
serve for the set, please don't waste this luck Miki

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
DF :sobbing:

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
2 points

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
double set point

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
double set point

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
My browser stuck. Sorry for the multiple posts. Ace on SP!!!!

WhatTheDeuce
I can't watch now :bigcry:

kfh_9118
close the set with an ace :yeah:

great fight back from 4-6 0-2 :bounce:

now the final set :scared:

croat123
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
DOBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
fight miki!

Sammo
Come on Mirjana!!!!!

Sammo
Acee!!!!

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
At least she's competitive against the #4 seed. Whatever happens now isn't really important. She has proven she belongs.

WhatTheDeuce
Virginia Wade is so fun to listen to when she talks about Mirjana.

She really does live extremely dangerously :haha: So random and nervewrecking!

fouc
:d

Ballbasher
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Amazing!!! :speakles: :speakles:
But she needs to keep calm. :p

Sammo
Of course it is important, come on Mirjana :armed:

JLC
Lol

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:39 PM
Bad start :sobbing:

She needs a big serving set. No ifs ands or buts.

Sammo
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Holy cow 41 unforced errors :o

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:43 PM
Wow 3 aces

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:43 PM
3 aces in the game :eek: :yeah:

break here, Miki

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
Ew

MLF
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
Going for too much now, but understandable. both players are pretty ratty today :)

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
no one breaks serve yet in this final set :eek:

hopefully it won't be the next game :scared:

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
broken :mad: :fiery:

her game is still the same as always, too risky

break back, Miki c'mon, don't let her run away

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
this is far from over.

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Needs this hold desperately.

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
broken again :sad:

MUST break back here :scared:

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
here's another 2-5 comeback.

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
:sobbing:

near the end now
keep fighting Miki

JLC
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
3 sets is respectable.

kfh_9118
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Oh well, losing that first set is really costly.

still not a bad effort and successful US Open for Miki :yeah:
Good luck next tournament, Miki :bounce:

MLF
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Great effort from Mirjana. 2009 she was losing some 25K qualies matches and in 2010 she's playing 2nd round of a grand slam and taking the world #4 to 3 sets. She is on the right track and should be so encouraged.

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Good effort Mirjana :hug:

Hopefully the rest of this year brings a few more uplifting results :hearts: She'll be proud of herself.

croat123
Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
great effort...the way she played in that second set was just amazing. her footwork needs work. can't judge the serve too much cause it was so windy and hot

auntie janie
Sep 3rd, 2010, 01:23 AM
Miki showed the world that she's right in the mix! She'll be more motivated than ever to keep working hard. Hope she'll have some more great results this fall so she can start 2011 right off playing ONLY WTA events.

Thanks for all the enjoyment you've given us all this week, Miki! :hearts: :kiss:

Sasja
Sep 3rd, 2010, 05:38 AM
A good run for Miki :hug:

mikireturns
Sep 3rd, 2010, 06:35 AM
Tons of emotions ... shared, I know, by the great fans who inhabit and give life to the Miki forum.

The conditions have been "typical" Open, save for the rain that has dogged previous years here, but the humidity is not to be believed. Coupled with the weird hot wind blowing across Flushing Meadows, it truly is like being a convection(sp?) oven. Tough and draining on spectators (be sure to re-hydrate, re-hydrate, re-hydrate) and it is a paean to these players that they cope in such heat.

Mirjana more than redeemed herself, IMO, and today, frankly, she was just plain tired from one helluva summer. Yeah, she could have won this, I guess, but watching, I don't know. I mean, she was visibly, physically run-down. All those qually matches and the first round win. JJ was lucky she met a tired Miki, cuz, IMO, a main draw Miki would have smoked her. To me, Miki looked utterly spent, even when she was winning points. Does anyone else know what I am saying, here?

As usual, until someone sits courtside and watches Mirjana actually hit a ball, you will not believe it. If anyone here ever has a chance to see her play, and cares for her even a bit, go and watch this girl.

But it was shocking, to me, to see how exhausted she really is/was. Overworked, at this stage. In some respects, I was amazed that she had enough gas in the tank to take that second set. One cannot say that she "should" have won the first set, because she simply didn't. Shoulda woulda coulda.

I think the best thing about all of this is the way it has capped her spring/summer campaign. Mirjana is back on the boards, kids, and neck and neck with Top-10ers. I was very, very, very encouraged by her attitude after this loss. Frankly, Mirjana knew her body was at the limit and it was obvious on court.

She swears she is going to take positive vibes from this run, and explicitly that she wants to win significant titles, and quite honestly, no one deserves it more. I am thoroughly impressed by her entire approach, and I have been since so watching her earlier at Stanford, etc. The woman is on track. Had she beaten JJ today, I do not think there would have been much left in the tank at all, if anything. Nutjob Azarenka could take one helluva lesson from Miki ... really, Mirjana was like a mummy out there and she still fought like her life was on the line.

More direct-acceptance MAIN DRAW experience will reward her, and she has earned it.

Now that she is back, she needs to work the circuit wisely, get some endorsements if she can, sign with SOMEbody, manage her time to the nth degree, and she truly could have two or three really awesome years. This girl wants it badly, and, in the current dreck of women's tennis, how can we not applaud that?

Kudos to all Miki fans. Her world is full of people right now, because of the press she has gotten, and I hope some of them are going to pay her to wear their clothes and shoes and whatever.

I think everyone here must be happy for her ... she unquestionably solidified her "return" with this event, though it has been an effort in-the-works for over two years, as each and every one of you knows.

I still can't get it out of my head, from the most crack-tastic shitty facility in Ft. Walton Beach to Wimbledon, to Stanford, to the Open. Really, if she ever comes remotely to your town or area, make it a point to go and see her belt the ball.

Best to her and to fellow Miki supporters. What an awesome group of people. I think you're the classiest fans ever, and am glad to be 'amongst'.

So, now, Miki will sleep and rest back in Bradenton, getting ready for her next attack, wherever ( I do not know that she will be in Quebec ... she is whipped) and I willnow turn my eyes directly upon Roger. Yep.

Tons of photos to come, but is this thread going to sruvive, or will it peter-out at 5 thousand? cheers good people.

ma re
Sep 3rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
What's there left to say, a really interesting match, a really respectable result, overall I'm pleased with how this ended. Of course she can't expect to win against big babes with 40-something percent of first serves, or by making 60 UE's in less than 30 games, but considering everything, this event was a success. She even got into some ineteresting US Open stats, like, 2nd best in aces, 4th highest serve speed (191 km/h), 2nd best in return points won after a second serve, 8th best in break points won, but also...the leader in double faults...by far, and thank God they don't count UE's for the event:lol:

And at least we can't complain about her matches ever being boring:) Keep up the good work Miki:wavey:

Hele.
Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Great tournament for Miki! :yeah:

Ballbasher
Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
Wonderful effort from Mirjana. :worship:
But I fully agree with mikireturns, she looked tired from the beginning and was a bit sloppy, which was the reason for quite some errors! But great effort. :worship: She will need more time to recover now.

Hele.
Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
About Miki's unforced errors. Well, she had 60 unforced errors, but many of that errors were out just for a little and very easily could be winners. :shrug:

ma re
Sep 3rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
She's on the list for Albaquerque 75k which starts the week after Quebec City (along with 2 other Croatians), so it looks like she plans to stay in the States for now. I was hoping to see her name on some of the lists for bigger European challengers and then possibly for WTA's in Linz and Luxembourg... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

croat123
Sep 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
I think the goal for the rest of the season should be direct entry to the AO...she'll need about 180-200 points (including the ~90 points she has to defend for the rest of the season. At a minimum, she's assured herself a seeding in qualies :)

ma re
Sep 3rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
http://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/jankovic-lucic-je-igrala-stvarno-dobro-/510366.aspx

For those who don't understand the language, girls said the following.
Jankovic: "Mirjana played really good. I knew she attacks every ball so strongly, she really gave me a lot of problems. I'm really happy for the win. I played much better than in R1.".
Mirjana: "I know I lost, but despite that I really enjoyed this encounter and the fact that I'm again playing such an important match. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I want to win big titles, this is the reason why I came back to tennis. If I had doubts about being able to do it, I wouldn't waste my time.".

SERVivor
Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
http://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/jankovic-lucic-je-igrala-stvarno-dobro-/510366.aspx

For those who don't understand the language, girls said the following.
Jankovic: "Mirjana played really good. I knew she attacks every ball so strongly, she really gave me a lot of problems. I'm really happy for the win. I played much better than in R1.".
Mirjana: "I know I lost, but despite that I really enjoyed this encounter and the fact that I'm again playing such an important match. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I want to win big titles, this is the reason why I came back to tennis. If I had doubts about being able to do it, I wouldn't waste my time.".

It sounds like she is very confident. I attended the U.S. Open yesterday and saw this match. My impression is she should go for her shots, that is her game. A solid retriever with a style like Jankovic is always going to be tough for her. I think one area she can improve is the second serve. She should take a little of it. Especially against someone who isn't going to go for winners on the second serve return. On most of her double faults, she was hitting 95-100 mph second serves. I think if she put a little more spin and hit these at about 89-85 mph she'd cut down the double faults but still hit hard enough to avoid the opponent hitting alot of winners off the second serve. 13 free points is too many to give away against a good opponent.
The middle of the first set, and the end of the second were exciting. At these moments, she was playing like a top 5 player. The crowd was oohing and awing at her electrifying play.

Sexysova
Sep 4th, 2010, 12:53 AM
US Open R2: Jelena Jankovic vs. Mirjana Lucic

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/namedImage/12781/player_100153.jpg vs. http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/namedImage/12781/player_120323.jpg

SET 3: http://forum.vaidisova-nicole.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=7197&p=13815#p13815

ajmo!
Sep 4th, 2010, 07:52 AM
great to see miki back... this is amazing, too bad she couldn't beat jankovic but the best is yet to come. ajmo! :bounce:

ajmo!
Sep 4th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I was not here few days ago so I couldn't post what I think about hole situation. I have to say that I'm just amazed how things changed in just one year. I always believed in Mirjana. Just after one match I had doubts and that was last year in Bronx exactly a year ago. On a 100K tournament if I remember well Miki good WC and had easiest possible draw, Julia Cohen who was much lower ranked at the time. Mirjana lost the match in straight sets and considering BAD summer she had I started to doubt for first time. But she finish season great and all doubts were gone. Year later Mirjana took a set in R2 against 4th seeded player and former #1 at the US Open. Mirjana is back, she needs just few more good tournaments and she will finish this season in TOP 100. And than on the start of the next season she wont have almost any points to defend. Next for her is WTA Quebec City where she's one out of MD and than 75k. She can win big points on this tournaments, can't wait to see her play again :)

auntie janie
Sep 5th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I was not here few days ago so I couldn't post what I think about hole situation. I have to say that I'm just amazed how things changed in just one year. I always believed in Mirjana. Just after one match I had doubts and that was last year in Bronx exactly a year ago. On a 100K tournament if I remember well Miki good WC and had easiest possible draw, Julia Cohen who was much lower ranked at the time. Mirjana lost the match in straight sets and considering BAD summer she had I started to doubt for first time. But she finish season great and all doubts were gone. Year later Mirjana took a set in R2 against 4th seeded player and former #1 at the US Open. Mirjana is back, she needs just few more good tournaments and she will finish this season in TOP 100. And than on the start of the next season she wont have almost any points to defend. Next for her is WTA Quebec City where she's one out of MD and than 75k. She can win big points on this tournaments, can't wait to see her play again :)

Thanks! I didn't know if she would be playing QC or not; that's great.

No more losses to Julia Cohen, ever! :angel:

croat123
Sep 5th, 2010, 02:52 AM
i can't believe she's in a position to make a gs md :D

auntie janie
Sep 7th, 2010, 12:07 AM
i can't believe she's in a position to make a gs md :D

I know. Just last year we were excited if she could make the main draw of a 25K instead of having to qualify! :sobbing:

ajmo!
Sep 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Mirjana just got in MD of Quebec city :)

frenchie
Sep 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM
winning a round or 2 could be good for her ranking
I think Québec is a very fast indoor court.

networthy
Sep 8th, 2010, 04:22 AM
winning a round or 2 could be good for her ranking
I think Québec is a very fast indoor court.

Mirjana's not defending any points next week or the week after so even just one win will move her up the rankings.

However, she'll be defending 38 pts the last week in September. Let's hope she gets at least one win in Quebec (30 pts) so that she can cover those points that will fall off later.

The Quebec draw last year wasn't terribly strong; the last seed was ranked #92 and the last direct acceptance was #168.

Good luck, Mirjana!

ajmo!
Sep 8th, 2010, 05:49 AM
But this year Bartoli, Rezai, Safarova are playing.

croat123
Sep 9th, 2010, 02:37 AM
she's in the md :) first direct acceptance since god knows when

Pebbles
Sep 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM
What a great year for Miki :cheer:

auntie janie
Sep 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Mirjana's projected ranking on Monday: 117 :dance:

ajmo!
Sep 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM
:bounce: so great

Hele.
Sep 9th, 2010, 04:03 PM
:bounce:

ajmo!
Sep 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Mirjana entered 50k in Las vegas. She's only 10th on list but she will be seeded. I think this is good idea. She now has really good chances to defend that 80 points and maybe even earn some more until the end of the season. Plus Las vegas isn't just another crapy challenger.

tennismaster8820
Sep 11th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Mirjana Lucic vs Sorana Cirstea first round of QC!
Good luck!

networthy
Sep 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Mirjana Lucic vs Sorana Cirstea first round of QC!
Good luck!

Not great, but at least she didn't get one of the seeds.

Good luck, Mirjana!

croat123
Sep 11th, 2010, 12:46 AM
not great, not terrible. good luck miki!!

mikireturns
Sep 11th, 2010, 01:58 AM
I've envisioned her playing Cirstea and winning. With her confidence so high and her hunger, she wants these contests. She's crossed the threshhold ... the Big Game of Lucic is back and dangerous. She will be fighting out there, that's for sure.

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 11th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Kind of a bad draw IMO, but should be a good match either way. Mirjana's gonna need to fight. The court in Quebec is indoors and LIGHTNING quick, so it should help Mirjana more than hurt her.

Ballbasher
Sep 11th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Don't like that opener. :(
But when was the last time she was into a WTA MD on her own? :inlove:

croat123
Sep 11th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Miami 2002
Just looking through her past results, Miki actually opened her 2002 season with a loss in the first round of a 10k (straight sets)

The courts are really fast. Cristea can be quite inconsistent and I think Miki can overpower her and force her into errors. I just hope Miki has a good serving day because she will need it. When was the last time Miki played indoors? I was looking at her match history on wta96.com and I think her only indoor match on the ITF/WTA level was in Moscow back in 1997. This really surprised me because you'd think she'd want to play more on the fast surfaces

croat123
Sep 11th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Mirjana entered 50k in Las vegas. She's only 10th on list but she will be seeded. I think this is good idea. She now has really good chances to defend that 80 points and maybe even earn some more until the end of the season. Plus Las vegas isn't just another crapy challenger.
good to hear :) the u.s. challengers are pretty strong this time of year. hopefully she can fight well and get into the top 105 or so and make the AO md :D

AaronJoyB
Sep 11th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Miami 2002
Just looking through her past results, Miki actually opened her 2002 season with a loss in the first round of a 10k (straight sets)

The courts are really fast. Cristea can be quite inconsistent and I think Miki can overpower her and force her into errors. I just hope Miki has a good serving day because she will need it. When was the last time Miki played indoors? I was looking at her match history on wta96.com and I think her only indoor match on the ITF/WTA level was in Moscow back in 1997. This really surprised me because you'd think she'd want to play more on the fast surfaces

Midland and Memphis are indoors

ma re
Sep 11th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Cirstea's results during the USO Series don't seem very impressive, with all her losses coming from players outside the top50. But she did make two notable wins, over Hercog and Jovanovski, both in straight sets(!). The end of '09 and beggining of 2010 were terrible for her, after last year's USO she had a 6 match losing streak, than she won a match at the AO and had another 4 match losing streak. Her w/l record this year, including quali matches, is 21-24. I think Miki has a shot here, especially considering the surface - after all, Cirstea's best result this year (SF of Estoril) and best slam result ever (QF of RG last year) both came on clay. She played Linz and Moscow indoors last year, in Linz she lost to Goerges 3 and 3, and in Moscow to Niculescu on retirement.

Ajmo Miki:bounce:

ma re
Sep 11th, 2010, 08:58 AM
BTW, here are matches Miki played indoors since her comeback:

- in Memphis '07 (QD), beat Oudin in three, lost to Grandin in three
- in Midland 75k '07 (QD and MD), beat Will in 2 and Washington in 3, lost to Tetreault and Granville, both in straights
- in Midland 75k '09 (QD), lost to Begu in two
- in Quebec City '09 (QD), lost to Jidkova in three
- in Toronto 50k '09 (QD and MD), beat Theiler in 2 and Rottmann in 3, lost to Drake in 2 and Couts in 3.

But I agree that it would be nice to see her playing more indoor events, especially now that her game is finally coming together.

SERVivor
Sep 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Cirstea is slumping badly. Mirjana is in better form right now and should take this.

Hele.
Sep 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Good luck! :yeah:

ajmo!
Sep 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Yes, Cirstea is out of form but on only indoors tournament this summer, in Denmark she was in QF so she can play good.

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 14th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Tuesday OOP & Scores, Quebec City

Court Banque Nationale (from 11.00am)

1. Alexa Glatch (USA) vs. Sabine Lisicki (GER)
2. Irina Falconi (USA) vs. Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA)
3. Mirjana Lucic (CRO) vs. Sorana Cirstea (ROU)

tennisfan5
Sep 14th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Lucic is up to #118 in the latest rankings! Direct entry into AO not too far away...

ma re
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Any chance for a streaming from Quebec:confused:

P. S. She's also #1 Croatian player in the WTA Race at #113, with Martic being second at #140, and Tomljanovic third at #146.

Krijes Sedam
Sep 14th, 2010, 11:34 AM
P. S. She's also #1 Croatian player in the WTA Race at #113, with Martic being second at #140, and Tomljanovic third at #146.

Sprem i no. 1 there, at #94 :)

ma re
Sep 14th, 2010, 11:35 AM
^^ Yup, my mistake:)

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 01:33 PM
For direct entry into AOpen she would have win at least around 150-200 points until the end of season. Winning a 75k would give her 110 points, 50k-70, one WTA International win 30 points. :p
Honestly I don't expect her to do it, but I do think she could. Most important is to defend those 80 points :wavey:
GL against Cirstea Miki! :bounce:

mikireturns
Sep 14th, 2010, 05:07 PM
With strong performances the rest of this season, Mirjana certainly can approach/crack the Top 100 and I think her goal ought to be a Top 100 finish, or close to it. Honestly, now that she has come full-circle and is legitimately back in the mix as a Grand Slam-level competitor (and she is), Mirjana should be expecting to make some noise anywhere & everywhere she plays. She should have/could have beaten Jankovic (she was playing Top 20-caliber tennis for the first two sets) at USO, so she knows she has gone into another gear entirely.

Given this trajectory, and the strength of her play, Mirjana's time to move is now, and she knows it, and is doing it. We now have to consider her a threat to win sets against players in the Top 10. She should be considered a threat to win sets and potential matches against players ranked 11-30. She should seriously and legitimately be aiming to beat anyone ranked 40 or below, on any given day, based upon her form.

The key, I think, is that she is hungry for this, that the US Open run gave her the key reminder that she is capable of elite tennis, and I think the quick flurry of attention (not too much, not too little) has been very, VERY good for her confidence as well. I truly hope she will travel for at least two WTA-level events overseas in addition to the Challengers she has entered.

She is fully prepared and capable, in my opinion, for a decent run at a WTA Tour-level event (i.e. quarters, maybe even semis at a Tier III). All Challengers are winnable for her, but her motivation must be at high level for these bupkus events. Her big game demands big WTA stages, so she needs to channel her energies appropriately and psyche herself up for the little ones after all this fuss.

One deep-ish run (a quarter or a couple R16s) at a WTA event (or two events) before the end of the year will do it, along with solid showings in the Challengers, even if she has to add a few Challengers and tire herself out big time. There's all of December to chill out and rest. This is not the time to mess around. It is crucial for her to get direct entry to the AO not only because the money and points potential will be huge, but because her entire winter-spring season will then be loaded with opportunties for big money WTA events (Indian Wells, Miami, Amelia Island, etc. etc. etc.), thus positioning her for Paris and Wimbledon and lots of events in between.

Also, I hope she is perhaps shopping for a doubles partner for next year to help add to her cash reserves for expenses and to help re-integrate her to life on the regular grinding tour.

Miss Mikica has a lot of work ahead of her this coming year. This is what she has wanted.

In any event, each match is a glistening opportunity for her to go out there and take scalps. She ought to come out firing against Cirstea, who as of today is ranked only 14 or so spots ahead of her, outside the Top 100. Lucic needs to show her Big Guns and go out there to intimidate. Capitalize, Mikica, and good luck, of course. :-)

rucolo
Sep 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Good luck in Quebec City, Mirjana!:bounce:

Cirstea is a tough R1 opponent.
But Mirjana played well at the US Open.

SERVivor
Sep 14th, 2010, 06:27 PM
all she needed to put her over the top was confidence. based on what she said after the loss to Jankovic, I believe she has increased confidence. She said something to the effect that she came back to win big tournaments, not to f##k around.

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Rezai just lost the first set of her match. :p

Trying not to look ahead but, if Rezai loses, that potentially opens up the draw for Lucic. Still, one match at a time. She's got a tough opener.

Ajmo!

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Cirstea is not easy draw and then if she wins that Arvidsson's next. She def. Cirstea 61 62 in NY and in Bronx she was in finals. In R1 in Quebec she def. Krajicek 62 60. So lets just take it match by match

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Cirstea is not easy draw and then if she wins that Arvidsson's next. She def. Cirstea 61 62 in NY and in Bronx she was in finals. In R1 in Quebec she def. Krajicek 62 60. So lets just take it match by match
True, forgot she had Sofia as her R2. :o

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:18 PM
0-1*

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:20 PM
0-2, won one point in 2 games :(

fouc
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:20 PM
off to a bad start :(

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
:tape:

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:22 PM
OMG 1 point in 3 games :help:
FOCUS!

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Lucic 0-4, BP wasted

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Please hold Miki :unsure:

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:31 PM
She must not be adjusting well to the court speed...

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:31 PM
0-5* :sobbing:

fouc
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM
lol wat a disastrous set :tape:

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Jesus! Another bagel!
Fight!

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:35 PM
0-6 in just 18 minutes. Only won 8 points :sad:

Come on Miki. She starts serving in the 2nd set. Important service game for her.

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:37 PM
0-6 1-0

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM
She holds :p

0-6 1-0*

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:41 PM
0-6 *1-1

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM
0-6 2-1*

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Another easy hold for 2-1

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Bp!

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
3-1 ;)

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Miki gets the break 0-6 *3-1 :)

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:48 PM
30-30 , Hold THIS!
40-30
40-40 :scared:
A-40

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Big Hold! C'mon
0-6 4-1

Sasja
0-6 4-1*

Keep it up Miki!

fouc
c'mon

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
3 bps

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
0-6 *5-1

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Serving for the 2nd set at 0-6 *5-1 :cheer:

MLF
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Looks like Mirjana is deciding this one way or the other looking at that scoreline so far - no middle ground with her ;)

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:55 PM
30-15, 2 aces in 1 game

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Sp!

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Yes, Miki wins the 2nd set 6-1 :yeah:

fouc
and 3 aces in last game :lol:

ajmo!
Another ace for 6-1 :)
Keep it up in 3rd

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM
LOL @ this match

Please play well in the 3rd!

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM
15-40

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM
And a early break in the 3rd

0-6 6-1 *1-0

fouc
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM
cmon

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM
0-6 6-1 *1-0

SERVivor
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Ah, another schizophrenic Lucic match. Anything could happen in the third set, but hopefully she'll just continue to momentum and roll.

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
2-0

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
0-6 6-1 2-0* :)

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Won 7 games in a row :)
Cirstea had 6 :p (hope she never repeats it)

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:07 PM
2-1

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:09 PM
holds to love, 3-1

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Service hold to love :yeah:

3-1* final set

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
bp for 4-1

ajmo!
0-6 6-1 *4-1 :)

Sasja
And DF#5. Double break now for Miki

Serving at *4-1 final set

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Ace #9 :cheer:

5-1* final set

Sasja
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Yes, Miki wins :yeah:

0-6 6-1 6-1 :cheer:

Nice comeback after that 1st set!

But Sori :hug:

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Great comeback and fantastic 9 aces with only one DF :inlove:

croat123
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM
hell of a comeback. miki probably played like total shit in that first set, but she's such a great fighter. it takes a lot to be able to right the ship after losing a 0-6 set in less than 20 minutes. total domination in the last two sets with some great serving :hearts:

MLF
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Great that she followed up her good US Open run with a main draw win here. :)

Ballbasher
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Another great win. :yeah:
Sofia will be a rather difficult task!

ajmo!
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM
This is already her 5th WTA MD win this year, something we could only dream about year(or two years) ago. Rezai is out and I thing the only thing standing beetwen Miki and big run in Quebec City is Sofia Arvidsson. In moments she plays like shit, in moments is fantastic. But she seems to be in love wit indoors tennis cause she was in final of Memphis earlier this year(lost to Sharapova). As I have already wrote she def. Krajicke 62 60 in QC and was in Bronx finals, lost in US Open R2 after knocking Sorana in R1. Interesting match it will be, AJMO MIKI :)

SERVivor
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM
that has to be the fastest three set match ever. Only a little over 1 hour.

Hele.
Sep 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM

mikireturns
Sep 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Judging from her first set stats, she was returning serve like crap and just plain asleep out there.

But she sure as hell woke up and started moving. Bagels are great energy food.

Superb serving in one of her strongest two-set runs of the year. If she plays up to par, she could hit through Arvidsson.

Pebbles
Sep 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Takes her to around #111 with 30 points so far :cheer:

mala18
Sep 14th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I followed...I dont think she ''was sleeping'' i think it was time to adjust to courts and to Sorana's game. The courts are different than the one they practice on, so its adjustment, and obviously she had to adjust to her game...
but GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT match

JLC
Sep 14th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I totally forgot about this today. But looking at the scoreline in the first set, I am glad I wasn't around. LOL. Great turnaround though. I'll be here tomorrow for round 2!

mikireturns
Sep 14th, 2010, 09:20 PM
SA was thumped by Sharapova and had beaten slumping Oudin and Keothavong to get to the Memphis final. If Miki is now used to this court (and apparently she is), she'll be dangerous against anyone.

networthy
Sep 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I can't believe how strongly Mirjana recovered after that disastrous first set! It would have been very deflating to travel to Quebec just to lose by something like 60 62 in the first round.

This is an excellent win not only because of the way she recovered but also because Cirstea--let's not forget--is a very strong opponent. Yes, she's ranked outside 100 this week but just last week she was #81. Also, her career-high is very high--#23--and that was just last August. And even though her ranking has been dropping, this year she has beaten a who's who of top-100 (even top 10!) players: Kanepi, Kirilenko, Kvitova, Olaru, Schiavone, Larsson, Halep, Jovanovski and Hercog.

Well done, Mirjana!

auntie janie
Sep 14th, 2010, 11:14 PM
that has to be the fastest three set match ever. Only a little over 1 hour.

:speakles::rolls:We love you, Miki! :kiss: Please keep entertaining us this way all week (you can skip the 0-6 part, though ;)).

ma re
Sep 15th, 2010, 07:42 AM
That match went so fast that it was over when I turned on the live scores on teletext to check how things are going:lol: Of course it was nice to see Miki won, but that scoreline was something you don't see often. Like she had a brain-freeze in the first set and then blasted her way through the other two, or something. Anyway, great job in R1, she took out a dangerous opponent and grabed some important points, it'll be interesting to see how she does next. Arvidsson will be very tough, surely a big, high hurdle to overcome. I'm honestly not seeing Miki winning that (btw the match will take place on Thursday cause Arvidsson is playing doubles today), but I sure hope to be wrong again:)

SM
Sep 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM
ajmo Mikica!

ma re
Sep 15th, 2010, 01:38 PM
If she beats Arvidsson that'll be her first win over a top50 player since the 1st round of RG in '01 against Weingartner:eek:

SERVivor
Sep 15th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Scanning Arvidsson's record it is obvious she likes to play indoors. She has done very well at various indoor challengers, and at the Memphis tournament. But, if Lucic is "on", she can overpower Sofie. Lucic just has to keep the UE's in somewhat in check, but of course still go for her shots. Arvidsson's game is to outlast her opponent, not first strike tennis. So, if Lucic can execute first strike tennis she can win. Sofie has had many close matches with Marta Domaschowska, a player who plays similar to Lucic, but is not as mentally tough as Lucic. So, truly see Mirjana winning this match, despite Sofie's good indoor record.

mikireturns
Sep 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Excellent way to put it, SERVivor. If Miki plays and executes somewhat in the realm of the way she did in the last two sets against Cirstea, or the way she did in most of her US Open matches, then she can unquestionably hit through Sofia. She will be confident in her game going into it, that is a given.

ajmo!
Sep 15th, 2010, 09:05 PM
This is big chance, big girls are out in this part of draw and anyone could reach final now. I would say Lucic vs. Arvidsson winner has best chances. But Miki has nothing to lose, she already won 30 points and even if she loses she has next great chance for big points on 75k where she should be 3rd seeded. Do your best and good luck :bounce:

xcrtbckhnd
Sep 16th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I've been traveling for work for the start of this week, but I did see this result and was so proud of our girl! Sofia is beatable, but you don't ever seem to know what you're going to get with her - she can play extremely well, and also very poorly. This is an amazing opportunity for Miki and I really hope she handles this next match well and keeps moving on through the tournament!

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 16th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Thursday, September 16, 2010

Court Bell (from 11.00hrs)
1. Tamira Paszek (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/Player/Info/0,,12781%7E12273,00.html?) vs. Jill Craybas (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/Player/Info/0,,12781%7E1419,00.html)
2. Sofia Arvidsson (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/Player/Info/0,,12781%7E332,00.html?) vs. Mirjana Lucic (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/player/mirjana-lucic_2257889_4838) (NB 12.00hrs)

AaronJoyB
Sep 16th, 2010, 10:47 AM
OFFICIAL FACEBOOK FANPAGE
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=mb&sk=messages#!/pages/Mirjana-Lucic/127649803938797?ref=ts

ma re
Sep 16th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Still no streaming from Quebec:confused: Oh well, I guess Miki will just have to win some more matches here, so that we get to see her later in the week;)

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Ajmo Miki!

ma re
Sep 16th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Another interesting stat: this will (now almost certainly) be a year of Miki's highest year-end singles ranking since 1999:eek:

Ballbasher
Sep 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Somebody needs to tell her to come to Europe after she played in the States. :rolleyes: :lol: I want to see her live. :p Just kidding. ;) I would probably die in shock anyways if she did. :lol:

rucolo
Sep 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Good comeback after bad first set, Mirjana!:):yeah:

Arvidsson will be more difficult than Cirstea.

C`mon, Mirjana, reach QF!!!

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Match starts, Lucic to serve:
00-15 DF
00-30
15-30
15-40
BREAK, ARVIDSSON leads *1-0

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Arvidsson on serve:
00-15
15-15
30-15
30-30 DF
30-40
40-40
40- A
40-40
A -40
Arvidsson leads 2-0*

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Lucic on serve, 0-2:
15-00
15-15
15-30
15-40
30-40
Break, Arvidsson leads *3-0 :mad:

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Arvidsson on serve, 3-0:
15-00
30-00
40-00
Arvidsson leads 4-0*

Hold Miki please, no more bagels :crying2:

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Lucic on serve, 0-4:
15-00
30-00
40-00
Game Lucic, Arvidsson *4-1

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Arvidsson on serve, 4-1:
00-15
00-30
00-40
15-40
30-40
40-40 :mad:
A -40
40-40
A -40
40-40
40- A
DF

Arvidsson 4-2*, Ajmo Miki

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
OK, no more point by point posting for me :p

Hele.
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:24 PM
2-5 :(

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Got broken after savign 3 BPs. 2 aces in game :(
She can beat Sofia but needs to get more after her serve, only 3/12 points won on second

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:27 PM
5-3, Hold Now!

MLF
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Sofia can be rock solid when she wants to be so Mirjana's going to need to work at this, had she taken her own chances she'd probably be 5-3 up instead of down.

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:31 PM
4-5, last chance to say in set1

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
30-30

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
BP! use it please :scared:

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
5-5! But she needs to hold now

Hele.
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
5-5 :eek:

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Miki on serve: 30-30

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Ace 40-30
deuce
adv. lucic

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
deuce again :scared:
adv. lucic

Hele.
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM
6-5! :bounce:

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM
4th ace and miki gets the lead for the first time in match

fouc
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM
wow, Lucic is giving some entertainment again :lol:

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM
SP! :eek:

ajmo!
7-5 :bounce:, from 0-4, 2-5 :eek: :worship:

fouc
c'mon :) :)

Hele.
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:44 PM
7-5 :eek: :bounce:

ma re
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Wow, a great performance after she woke up:lol: Not only that she got 5 games in a row (against Arvidsson btw), but she'll serve at the start of the second set!

Ajmo:bounce:

SERVivor
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM
wow, nice comeback. Keep up the momentum. It's like last match except she started her comeback earlier.

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:48 PM
0-1*
she can even get some rest in set2 and kill her in set33 :p
i wouldn't mind

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM
wow, nice comeback. Keep up the momentum. It's like last match except she started her comeback earlier.

in 25 k finals she was 2-5 down and won 7-5 set against hampton, against sprem she was a mp down -won, against parmantier 7-5 0-6 0-4 and won(saved few mps). against 'vich 2-5 in third and won(saved 5 mps) :eek:

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Ace #5 for 7-5 1-2

Hele.
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM
1-3 :(

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:07 PM
3-4, Arvidsson missed only one first serve in set, Lucic on 100% won points after 1st :eek:

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM
7-5 3-5

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
7-5 4-5, first game cost her

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:18 PM
7-5 4-6, Focus on serve and fight!

Hele.
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hope Miki wins third set! :unsure:

SERVivor
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM
wtf 85% first serves for Arvidsson in second set. I don't think she can keep that up. At least I hope not.

mikireturns
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM
The MikiDrama never ends ...

We know she has the fighting stuff in her, we've seen it. Let's see how she figures her way out of this.

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
0-40 :(

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:21 PM
7-5 4-6 0-1* :mad:

fouc
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:21 PM
:sad:

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:24 PM
7-5 4-6 0-2, has to hold now

MLF
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM
She's still there but most top 50 WTA players will not allow you to get away with starting each of the three sets sloppily as Miki has done today.

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:26 PM
40-30, ajmo!

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM
7-5 4-6 1-2

SERVivor
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:28 PM
she's got to find a way to win more 1st serve return points, or hope Arviddson's 1st serve percentage drops markedly. I can visulazize Arviddson just getting the first serve in, and Lucic going for too much on the return.

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:35 PM
7-5 4-6 2-3

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:36 PM
0-30! break her

Hele.
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:37 PM
30-30 :(

ajmo!
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM
bp! next point extremly important :scared: