PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana Lucic Comeback Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21

networthy
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Blechhh! Mirjana is alreay down 0-5. While I wasn't optimistic, this is worse than I expected. Hope Mirjana can reverse the tide.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM
yesterday krajicek won 9 points and lost set 6-1 to miki, so far mirjana won 14 points and she's 0-5* down :sad:

SERVivor
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM
She's losing the big points - break points and game points on her serve. It looks worse than it is. If she can just start winning some of the important points, it could change the match.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:46 AM
again bp..she deserved at least a game

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:47 AM
5-1*, definetly looks worst than it is

SERVivor
she needs raise the first serve percentage to about 60%

networthy
She's losing the big points - break points and game points on her serve. It looks worse than it is. If she can just start winning some of the important points, it could change the match.

All good points. And on BPs they're even (5-5)--it's just that Mirjana hasn't been able to convert nearly as well.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:50 AM
saved 0-40, it's deuce now

SERVivor
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Bad serving stats for 1st set. Not too bad on return.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:54 AM
just when you look at livescore you see chan won 3 games in set and also won 13 points less, just like miki. focus and try to actually hold a serve in set 2-

MLF
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:55 AM
The match is still on and the first set was closer than 6-1 but what Miki is seeing is that 45% first serve doesn't cut it at WTA Top 50 level.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:57 AM
15-40..break please

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
yes 1-6 *1-0..try to hold for the first time in match

SERVivor
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
nice return game

jela_dokic
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:01 AM
thereīs no free live stream?

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:01 AM
no

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:02 AM
wins another game to 15..good. 1-6 2-0*

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Just started following

Fight Miki :armed:

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:11 AM
lost to games to 30, 2 all in set2

SERVivor
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:17 AM
can't get first serves in.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:20 AM
lost another close game, 1-6 2-4*

Ballbasher
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:22 AM
ugh... I didn't expect her to win a set, but neither did I expect it to be that one-sided. Fight Miki. :hug:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:23 AM
:sobbing: :awww:

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:31 AM
kirilenko 6-1 *5-3, try to break now miki..fight!

SERVivor
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:31 AM
two df's but still holds to 3-5. come on go for it kirilenko will be nervous trying to serve it out.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:33 AM
15-30..small chance

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:34 AM
15-40..please use one :scared:

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:35 AM
5-4..just please hold

SERVivor
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:35 AM
F.. ya

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I'm scared to say something wrong and jinx her :sobbing:

SERVivor
get some 1st serves in please.........

ajmo!
just wait

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:37 AM
0-15 :scared:

SERVivor
get some 1st serves in please.........

there, I said it for you:cool:

WhatTheDeuce
0-15 damn lol

ajmo!
noo 0-30

WhatTheDeuce
:bigcry:

ajmo!
ace 15-30

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:38 AM
ace 15-30

ajmo!
2 MPs..fight!!!!

WhatTheDeuce
2 mps :sad:

ajmo!
deuce..ajmooo.. :scared:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:39 AM
omg deuce :|

ajmo!
DF no now :crying2:

WhatTheDeuce
df, another mp...

ugh.

SERVivor
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:40 AM
yikes double faults at the worst times. But, better set of tennis in the 2nd.

ajmo!
lost 6-1 6-4 :( :sad:
nice fight in set 2, won only 3 points less

WhatTheDeuce
FUCK :bigcry: soooo close to tying that...

Oh well. Good event overall! :p She needs to stop the slow starts against better players though, happened against Errani too.

auntie janie
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Ah, well. Not really ready for primetime against the name players yet. It'll come. :hug:

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I don't know if it's only me but I have a feeling Miki now stands on WTA Tour just like she was 2 years ago on ITF Challengers. I mean she can pass qualies easily but in MD she can get a win, or maybe two. And that's how it was 2 years ago with challengers. I mean if she would play some 100k and 75k challengers she could earn a lot of points. She has the form to win e.g. 50k and that would give her 70 points, this week she earned only 20. I mean she maybe should try to play few of this tournaments just to pick up a lot of points and than she isn't gonna have to go trough qualies on WTA Tour when her ranking gets higher cause it's not easy to play 4matches in 4 days. I think it would be a smart thing to do. But ok, she is going step by step. If she's gonna need another 2 years to get like 5 wins in WTA Tournament MD fine for me, as long as she gets there.
On other hand she wasn't really that lucky with draw. I'm sure she would def. Chang or Craybas, just like I'm sure she was ready to beat 80% of players in Wimbledon. With that 2 wins she would already have 160 points more. Anyway, have some rest and GL in San Diego.

Ballbasher
Jul 28th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Miki :hug:
I think she is confident about her game in general, but somewhat may lack belief when a chance comes up against Top50 players so far. :shrug:
Good tournament again though. :D
San Diego will be tougher, because she will play a seed in the first round.

auntie janie
Jul 28th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I don't know if it's only me but I have a feeling Miki now stands on WTA Tour just like she was 2 years ago on ITF Challengers. I mean she can pass qualies easily but in MD she can get a win, or maybe two. And that's how it was 2 years ago with challengers.

I was thinking the same thing. But I disagree that it would be a good idea for her to retreat to the ITF circuit just for the points. Her next challenge is to learn to keep her composure / concentration in the bigger events and to face these top-60 players the way she does the lesser opponents. And she's just not going to get that experience in the challengers. I think her progression has been fantastic with the program she's embarked on, and I hope to see her playing more WTA events, not fewer. This is what she's been playing for, to get these opportunities again. Now she's here, and with more experience she'll get better at it, I'm sure. :angel:

auntie janie
Jul 28th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I think she is confident about her game in general, but somewhat may lack belief when a chance comes up against Top50 players so far. :shrug:

Yeah, exactly. It's a mental barrier right now, but she can overcome it the way she's overcome so many previous mental barriers in the past year or so. Such as winning a title; that was a big one.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I said only I would do it in her position cause then she could just skip qualies as she would be in MD. And I mean larger challengers, I mean the one in Vancouer is better than many WTA events with a lot of crowd, ball kids etc.
But it is true now she has to find a way to beat this TOP60 players just like she had to in Challengers MD. If I remember well she had lost to Panova two times 6-2 6-1 2 years ago, also to Rampre 6-2 6-2 and now she would demolish them. Hope same situation's gonna be with these players in 2 years or less.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 02:07 AM
And something else. She's fighting like hell in every match. Look at her results. I think she saved MPs against Sprem, def. closely Hlavackova, we all now story about Parmantier. Against Cravero she was down 4-6 0-2 and won. But also in matches she lost. I mean she was 6-1 5-2 down today, lost 6-4 but could have easily make it to 5-5. Against Errani she was set and break down, on the end almost won set 2. So she's doing her best. Good things are yet to come.

Pebbles
Jul 28th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Tough loss but competitive from Mirjana, great sign :D Onwards and upwards, watch out San Diego :devil:

mikireturns
Jul 28th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Well, a really lame day at the office for Miki, but this match can be viewed in a number of ways, and being courtside always tells us more than we might see on video or TV. The whole "live" thing makes a difference. What a concept.

Weird match, but three games into it, I was wondering if Mirjana would maybe recall the contest with Errani at Palermo, because there were likely parallels.

Miki was, from the start, full of head-shit about the match, but not bad head-shit. She wanted it too much. That was obvious. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed that her body language indicated that her mind was on "I'm playing a Top 50 star and I can win" instead of on the point-by-point landscape of the match. She was trying too hard ... too eager, too wild. Couldn't get a first serve in and her movement was awful. Late for her forehand. Pulling up on her backhand. She was tight and looked like she wasn't breathing. Too wound-up. Moreover, she was just awful in returning Miss Precious Perfect's first serve. It wasn't like Kirilenko was serving bombs, but she was serving comnsistently and Miki just gave return points away left and right and ONLY at crucial times, it seemed!

Whenever she was up, or had an opening, she flubbed. Again, my sense was that she wanted it too much and was not settled nor even close to playing within herself as she had been doing on previous days. The big game was there, still, but her crucial ingredients were missing.

That's tennis, but I would have hoped she might have learned from the Errani episode, because once she shook off the brain-freeze, she really showed her ability to compete. She hits harder than Miss Precious, and she finally started connecting with her forehands and some REALLY good first and second serves out wide that opened-up the court.

But it was too little, too late. Don't even get me started on her choke-y double faults. I thought she was going to change everything at 2-0, but Kirilenko sharpened her own strokes, too, you know. That's tennis, obviously. Miki was frustrated, visibly, as many of you can well imagine. The only thing I can say is that she really really wants it so much that she's too scattered in this particular situation. You can see it; her feet aren't moving and she's just lost in the wilderness. But this will change as she plays top players again and realizes that she needs to BREATHE from the very start of the match and get herself grooved instead of wandering about playing recklessly!

Kirilenko played solid, deep and served like she was giving a clinic. Miki was so preoccupied with the idea of winning, it seemed, that she forgot to win. The sad part/parts was/were the big points--she failed on all of them in the first set, just about, and then petered-out at the end of set 2, after such a great job of breaking.

It wasn't a matter of fighting. She simply made too many errors in the first, and her encouraging rally in the second was too late and Kirilenko kept the pressure on her. That's what opponents are supposed to do.

I'm wiped out. More photos to come when I come back to earth. I'm very excited about Mirjana's week in Stanford, it was a wonderful effort, and she showed she can hurt the big girls in the second set today, but she really needs to prepare mentally for these specific opportunities. Great players just go out and sweep past "big names" (as Miki has done before, in the 1990s), and she will want to make a few adjustjments. This was winnable. I don't know what her first serve % was and don't even want to look, though they flashed it during changeovers (40s--eek),

Miki had the game to win that match today, but couldn't find it when it counted because she was rushing and tight. She'll only get better at challenging the top girls as the season progresses and the US Open looms.

(sigh)

She was very disappointed with her performance. To say the least. To also say the least, Kirilenko had overwhelming support of the crowd.

Sasja
Jul 28th, 2010, 05:02 AM

But nice job on qualifying. Shame about the draw :sad:
She wants it so much though. I think it will only help her play more matches against top 100/50 players.
Just focus on her own game and taking it 1 point at a time. She def. has the game.
I think it will only be a matter of time. Look from how far she has come allready. A year ago she had a ranking of 376. :worship:

ma re
Jul 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Wow, that result is far from what I expected in this match, but the week was good overall. It's true that mental part is something from her game that needs tuning, and her coach should now step out and defend his credentials, so to speak. He needs to mentor her mental, as well as physical aspects of the game, and if he's as good as they say, we should see some changes in that department too (or maybe a yoga class would help...:lol:).

Hope she does even better in San Diego!

ma re
Jul 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Speaking of her coach, he's turning 33 today so happy birthday to him and may Miki bring him a nice late present next week in the form of some impressive result in San Diego.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2010, 04:29 PM
how do you know?? happy b-day

mikireturns
Jul 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Happy birthday to Mr. Diaz and congrats on his fine coaching of Miss Miki.

For anyone interested, I wrote an article recapping Mirjana's Stanford run at:

http://lucicreturns.blogspot.com/2010/07/lucic-caps-fine-stanford-effort-with.html

Have a great day, all.

ma re
Jul 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
how do you know?? happy b-day

From the ITF site. I've read somewhere already this year that he is 32 y.o. player/coach from Puerto Rico, so it wasn't that dificult to figure out which of the many guys with the last name Diaz, or a variation of it, is him (it's actually Angel Diaz-Mendez).

ajmo!
Jul 29th, 2010, 06:57 PM
She's 8th alt. for Montreal qualies. Hope she gets in both Cinci and Montreal cause there are no challengers or any other tournaments in North America should cold play at that time.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 29th, 2010, 07:49 PM
omggggggg if she plays Montreal quallies I can watch her live :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

PLEASE PLAY MIKI :sobbing:

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 30th, 2010, 09:07 AM
She's 8th alt. for Montreal qualies. Hope she gets in both Cinci and Montreal cause there are no challengers or any other tournaments in North America should cold play at that time.

It is absolutely ridiculous that the USTA doesn't line up a decent series of hard court ITFs prior to the US Open. :mad:

ajmo!
Jul 30th, 2010, 11:06 AM
It is absolutely ridiculous that the USTA doesn't line up a decent series of hard court ITFs prior to the US Open. :mad:

yes, they should move those late spring/early summer events to july and august (e.g. 50 kn in carson, 25k in el paso etc)

ma re
Jul 30th, 2010, 11:20 AM
yes, they should move those late spring/early summer events to july and august (e.g. 50 kn in carson, 25k in el paso etc)

:lol: - Croats should get the joke. Kn is an abbreviation for our currency and 50 kn is like 10 bucks... I mean tourneys aren't that small:)

ajmo!
Jul 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM
:lol: - Croats should get the joke. Kn is an abbreviation for our currency and 50 kn is like 10 bucks... I mean tourneys aren't that small:)

:p i tipe fast

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
How far out from Cinci quali draw is she?

SERVivor
Jul 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
you're right, the usta should have some itf women's hardcourt tournaments in the weeks immediately proceeding the U.S. Open. They are probably focussing only on the "U.S. Open Series" and preparations for the U.S. Open. The USTA just cares about earning revenue at this time of year. The U.S. Open brings in big, big bucks. The mid ranked player is hurt no question.

ajmo!
Jul 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
How far out from Cinci quali draw is she?

5 out

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM
5 out

Let's hope for some withdrawals and WC's then for the players ahead of her! ;)

mikireturns
Jul 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM
It'll be interesting to see who stands in her way when the SD qually draw comes out later today. No matter what, Mirjana is going to get some valuable competition before the US Open. She'll go into qualification there feeling very good about her year, her game, her motivation. It would be ideal if she can sneak into Cincy, Montreal, or possibly even get a WC into New Haven.

www.lucicreturns.blogspot.com

ajmo!
Jul 30th, 2010, 09:41 PM
It'll be interesting to see who stands in her way when the SD qually draw comes out later today. No matter what, Mirjana is going to get some valuable competition before the US Open. She'll go into qualification there feeling very good about her year, her game, her motivation. It would be ideal if she can sneak into Cincy, Montreal, or possibly even get a WC into New Haven.

www.lucicreturns.blogspot.com

she's playing us open qualies that week

SERVivor
Jul 31st, 2010, 12:34 AM
I would think she would take one week off before the U.S. Open qualifying i.e. not play every week leading up to the U.S. Open qualies. Hopefully, if not enough drop out, she can get a WC to Cinci. or Montreal qualifying. They will probably give these to Americans,or Cadadians, respectively, though.

networthy
Jul 31st, 2010, 04:15 AM
Here's Mirjana section of the San Diego Q draw:

(4)MORITA v SAVCHUK
LARCHER DE BRITO v BRENGLE
STEVENSON v LUCIC
CASTANO v (8)NARA

It's not bad at all. Stevenson (QR1) is the last direct-acceptance player. Nara (likely QR2) is the lowest seed (besides Arn, who squeezed in as the #9 seed to replace Wozniak, the #1 seed). Morita (presumptive QRF) is the lowest of the top four seeds.

Good luck, Mirjana!

mikireturns
Jul 31st, 2010, 04:43 AM
Oh man, my favorite player, Miki, against the player I dislike most on Planet Earth.

All she has to do is make Stevenson run, even a little. Watch for the mother, Samantha Stevenson, to shout obscenities at Miki, or try to flash the glare from a compact mirror in her eyes.

Two famously unexpected Wimbledon semifinalists ... one very much on the upswing, one sinking fast.

Just play your big game, Miki, and keep your cool. It's whatserface's hometown. She might think she can rise to the occasion (insert forklift joke here).

Interesting draw. GL to all the contenders.

mikireturns
Jul 31st, 2010, 04:47 AM
Savchuk could make the final round of quallies -- she played well in Stanford (even winning a MD round), but her game is not anywhere near as strong as Miki's. Plus, Savchuk has a slight hamstring strain. Stevenson is just a hamstring.

Sasja
Jul 31st, 2010, 08:34 AM
GL Miki :cheer: :cheer2:

Glad that Miki and Misa are not in the same section of the draw again :lol: :p

Kuti Kis&Monica
Jul 31st, 2010, 10:15 AM
Kurumi Nara will be though ...

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 31st, 2010, 10:24 AM
LOL @ drawing Stevenson.

Plz don't lose that. :o

ajmo!
Jul 31st, 2010, 12:21 PM
Interesting draw. Savchuk had great run in Stanford, but she def. Stevenson only 7-5 in 3rd set. So Steveneson could be in good form, but we her you never know. On other side Nara is playing great, destroying players on Challengers and savchuk had a good last week. Anyone can qualify(even Morita or De Brito), hope it will be Mirjana. GL
And Mirjana's again playing last match of the day. :mad:

Ballbasher
Jul 31st, 2010, 02:01 PM
God damn I hate these draws. :help:
Go for it, Mirjana!

mikireturns
Jul 31st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Savchuk beat Stevenson in a terribly humiliating loss at Stanford -- Stevenson was up considerably in set three and had match points before she imploded. But even afterward, I watched Savchuk's matches and, while a humorous, likeable girl, she currently does not have the game to beat Miki. Morita = beatable. Nara = beatable. Larcher de Brito ought to be muzzled. Her "scream after the ball is hit" approach was the worst thing about attending Stanford. Horrifying, ear-splitting noises. Her game is also suspect lately. Beatable. But, yes, any of them could qualify.

Again, if Miki wants to compete with the big girls, she's going to have to contend with bigger qualifiers -- That's a good thing, though I am really a bit skeptical as to how Stevenson even made the qualifier cut ... she's ranked in the 300s.

auntie janie
Jul 31st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Savchuk beat Stevenson in a terribly humiliating loss at Stanford -- Stevenson was up considerably in set three and had match points before she imploded. But even afterward, I watched Savchuk's matches and, while a humorous, likeable girl, she currently does not have the game to beat Miki. Morita = beatable. Nara = beatable. Larcher de Brito ought to be muzzled. Her "scream after the ball is hit" approach was the worst thing about attending Stanford. Horrifying, ear-splitting noises. Her game is also suspect lately. Beatable. But, yes, any of them could qualify.

Again, if Miki wants to compete with the big girls, she's going to have to contend with bigger qualifiers -- That's a good thing, though I am really a bit skeptical as to how Stevenson even made the qualifier cut ... she's ranked in the 300s.

I was wondering that, too. Ranking cut-off for entering Premier events is supposed to be 275, iirc. But maybe AS was just within that ranking when entries were done. Either that or Samantha bullied the TD into letting AS in. :p

Anyway, I hope Miki can stay focused and not make this any match harder than it needs to be.

Ballbasher
Jul 31st, 2010, 06:56 PM
It's 375 and Alexandra made it in on her own effort. She was the LDA.

SERVivor
Jul 31st, 2010, 11:20 PM
Whatever the cut off, Stevenson's ranking is rather pathetic. Lucic has beaten much better players lately. Stevenson is in no shape to run down Lucic's powerful groundies.

networthy
Jul 31st, 2010, 11:43 PM
Lucic-Stevenson is about to begin--it's up on the live scoreboard :bounce:

Good luck, Mirjana!

ajmo!
Jul 31st, 2010, 11:50 PM
Mirjana to serve first..gl

networthy
Jul 31st, 2010, 11:57 PM
Mirjana holds, 1-0

ajmo!
Jul 31st, 2010, 11:57 PM
interesting in stanford she had bad start in every match, this time she hasn't lost a point on serve. ajmo

networthy
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:02 AM
interesting in stanford she had bad start in every match, this time she hasn't lost a point on serve. ajmo

Neither has Stevenson--so far.

networthy
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:03 AM
Stevenson holds at love; 1-1
Mirjana holds at love; 2-1

networthy
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:06 AM
Stevenson again holds at love; 2-2

Neither player has yet lost a point on serve.

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:09 AM
got broken after not losing a point in first two service games :(

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:19 AM
stevenson seems to be playing really well. not a suprise, at least not to me. fight miki

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:28 AM
Lucic needs to win higher percentage on Stevensons first serve. this is the difference in the match so far.

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:29 AM
difference is that stevenson used her bp and miki did not. we'll see

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:34 AM
0-40
15-40 ace
5 all

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:37 AM
Mirjana 6-5*

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:42 AM
Mirjana 1-0 in tb

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:45 AM
Mirjana 3-2*

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:47 AM
Mirjana
*4-3
*5-3
5-4*
6-4*

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:49 AM
Mirjana 7-6(4) :D

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:54 AM
look for Stevenson to quit if she gets down a break

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:56 AM
she's in good form and she played hole match vs. savchuk and that was a long one so who knows

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:02 AM
mirjana broken :(

networthy
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:09 AM
This is unreal: so far Stevenson has won 61 points to 55 by Mirjana...

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:11 AM
give stevenson a credit. she's not that bad..savchuk barely def. her and she's in great form. and stevenson was also, like miki in wimbledon sf and she was 18th in rankings. i mean, i don't like her at all but she's no that bad.

AaronJoyB
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:11 AM
Score!?

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:12 AM
Mirjana 7-6 2-4

AaronJoyB
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:13 AM
Mirjana 7-6 2-4

Ohh nooo

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:15 AM
long game..many deuces, few adv. for alex and one for miki..deuce again

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:16 AM
bp lucic

AaronJoyB
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:17 AM
Seems like Lexy is On fire

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:17 AM
miki's also, dont worry

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:18 AM
oh, miki 7-6 *3-4

AaronJoyB
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:19 AM
Score!?

miki's also, dont worry

Update please!!

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:20 AM
i will post point by point here: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=18243456#post18243456 ok? :wavey:

networthy
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:20 AM
Mirjana is coming through at the crucial times; she broke back to get back on serve (3-4).

AaronJoyB
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:22 AM
Allez

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:22 AM
Miki 7-6 4-4

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:46 AM
mirjana won 7-6 7-6 :bounce: congrats
again great in tbs :worship:
next probably nara

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:49 AM
credit to Stevenson also. Tight match.

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:54 AM
Nara will be tough, I think. Good luck Lucic.

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 02:02 AM
Just looked a bit at Nara's year. Nothing special until Wimbledon. She was unlucky with draw in qualies but once she passed them she was really lucky as she palyed DM in R1. That result gave her enough self confidence to win one 50k in States in reach a finals of another one. Big match for small/little points. Hope she won be up last again tomorrow, GL Miki!

Pebbles
Aug 1st, 2010, 02:55 AM
Miki :)

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 1st, 2010, 02:59 AM
Thank God, a win in 2 sets :yeah:

Good luck vs Nara

mikireturns
Aug 1st, 2010, 03:11 AM
woof. I was secretly a bit worried about this match, just because there are a few weird parallels between the girls' careers (which makes for automatic head-shit in women's tennis) and because it's Stevenson's hometown and, despite the fact that I don't care at all for Stevenson (mostly because I have witnessed her and her mother's absolute rudeness first-hand), Alexandra is actually a gifted player with the kind of big serve and nervy attitude that makes her dangerous when she gets that wild hair to do well on a certain day, against only certain opponents.

Plus she has a way of mixing-up her fine slice backhand with deep drives that can throw a player off. I knew she'd be "up" for this match against Mirjana because she knows Mirjana's history (and likely resents Mirjana's recent and continuing rise up the ranks).

That Miki played the big points so well and so forcefully is a credit to her hard work and grit these days. Awesome.

Alexandra? It's a shame about her predicament, because she seems by turns to be a very nice young woman and yet also a total a$$ at times. She was indeed injured a few years ago, but anyone who knows the tour will tell you that her labrum injury could have been avoided with proper coaching, but the mother ran-off everyone who tried to teach Alexandra how to properly use her talent and train to avoid injuries that were sure to come. For her part, Alexandra has always played a convenient victim (because of her mother's goading), and that is never an attractive quality.

I wish her well, and wish she could have remained a star, because I would have grown to like her, but years ago Alex should have told the mother to get a life of her own and worked to find her own niche, her own coach, instead of this whole "It's Mom & Me against the Evil World" thing.

Alex, you're 30. Tell your mother you want your own life, already. Wait ... it's too late.

But, the two of them are writing a smear-job book about the tour, from what I understand. Best of luck to their efforts.

As for Miki ... bravo once again. She keeps laying her neck on the line out there and pulling out wins. She has the game to beat Nara, to open up the court and take it from her, and I know she can utterly overpower Brengle and Savchuk, if it comes to it. Let her keep her focus and play her game. Her match-toughness and strokes will do the work.

Go, Miki.

mikireturns
Aug 1st, 2010, 04:42 AM
2 Further (and Possbily) Interesting Thoughts:

1. Sam Stosur lost to Azarenka tonight and didn't get as many games against her as did Miki at Wimbledon.

2. Is it not perhaps the oddest oddity of oddities that Mirjana Lucic and Alexandra Stevenson had their first career meeting over a decade after each had become "famous"?

Sasja
Aug 1st, 2010, 06:25 AM
Miki :cheer:

GL against Nara!

Sasja
Aug 1st, 2010, 06:50 AM
Sunday OOP

GRANDSTAND 1
Starting at: 11:00am
1. Alla KUDRYAVTSEVA (RUS) vs Ajla TOMLJANOVIC (CRO)
2. Olga SAVCHUK (UKR) Madison BRENGLE (USA)
3. Akgul AMANMURADOVA (UZB) vs Chanelle SCHEEPERS (RSA)
4. Mirjana LUCIC (CRO) vs Kurumi NARA (JPN)

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 10:53 AM
again last match :mad: gl miki

ma re
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Qualifiers play Zheng, A. Radwanska, Dulko and...drumrolls...Kirilenko:)

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2010, 12:46 PM
this thime kirilenko's maybe best possible draw, last time she was worse. anyway i think it doesn't matter who is miki gonna draw(if she passes qualies) cause she's gonna have to play her best match in long time to beat any of this girl :yeah:

cro123456
Aug 1st, 2010, 04:17 PM
Nope I think Zheng Jie is the best possible draw for Miki or Ajla because she isnīt in a good form lately.. 2nd best match up imo is Dulko and then Kirilenko.

Ballbasher
Aug 1st, 2010, 04:35 PM
Mirjana has to beat Nara, before we even start thinking about her possible placement. :shrug:
Congrats on the win! :yeah: Unfortunate draw for me. :lol: Now all the best against Nara, it won't be easy. She must be full of confidence, too!

mikireturns
Aug 1st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Kurumi Nara, five foot two

Just pull her wide then hit right through.

Her tiny legs will have to scramble,

and Miki's focus musn't ramble.

Lucic, Lucic six feet tall

can beat that little Nara wall.

Each angled forehand she must slug

to squash Nurumi like a bug.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2010, 05:19 PM
Kurumi Nara, five foot two

Just pull her wide then hit right through.

Her tiny legs will have to scramble,

and Miki's focus musn't ramble.

Lucic, Lucic six feet tall

can beat that little Nara wall.

Each angled forehand she must slug

to squash Nurumi like a bug.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ah, the old "AA" "BB" "CC" "DD" ryme scheme

mikireturns
Aug 1st, 2010, 06:11 PM
ah, the old "AA" "BB" "CC" "DD" ryme scheme

Yep ...an oldie but a "goodie." ;)

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:57 AM
Nara to serve first

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:59 AM
If she wins Mirjana will again play last match on Granstad tomorrow. :(

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:17 AM
Still no start..weird. :confused:

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:22 AM
3-3, 4 breaks of serve and 4 DFs from miki

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
Miki *4-3

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:29 AM
4-4*, lost serve in 3/4 games

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:35 AM
Lucic *5-4

AaronJoyB
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:36 AM
Forza

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:39 AM
set point miki after 15-40

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:40 AM
df helped, 5-5 :(

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:43 AM
chance #2 to serve it out, *6-5

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:48 AM
6-6 :(

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:52 AM
after losing 10/12 games on serve girls just won all points on serve in tb, 4-3

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:55 AM
sp #3 lucic

networthy
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:57 AM
SP #3 (I think) for Mirjana, at 7-6 in the TB.

networthy
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:57 AM
Aarggh, 7-7

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:58 AM
again wasted, 7-7 :scared:

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:58 AM
8-7

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:59 AM
Nara saves fourth sp, 8-8

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:59 AM
SP #5, take this one!!

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:00 AM
OMG again wasted, Miki wasted 5 set points, Nara had none so far. :mad:

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:01 AM
set #6 lucic

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:02 AM
10-10, this can't be real

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:03 AM
sp #1 nara :help:

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:03 AM
11-11

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:04 AM
11-12*, sp nara

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:05 AM
Big lost tiebreaker :sad:

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:05 AM
miki loses set 13-11 in tb after wasting 6 set points :crying2:

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:06 AM
i have to go now..fight miki!

SERVivor
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:09 AM
this will truly test her mental strength. most players would go away after that many wasted sp's

SERVivor
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:47 AM
This is another bizarre Lucic match. 6 blown set points in set 1, then 5-0 lead in second. 2 blown set points at 5-2 15-40. Thats 8 blown set points. I'm speechless. This match should have been over already.

SERVivor
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:48 AM
ah, Lucic wins second set 6-3

kfh_9118
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
fight Miki, please win the final set
Now Savchuk has lost, I think Miki has a great chance to win the last qualifying round.
And with Vika withdrew, one Q/LL will face Oudin, which will make it the easier opponent a Q/LL can face in the MD.

But again, she NEEDS to win this final set against Nara first :fiery:

kfh_9118
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:54 AM
Final set

Nara 1-0*

Must hold, Miki

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:00 AM
Well, it is a weird match indeed, but you have to admit ... she's fighting.

She needs to dig deep and play the kind of tennis she so obviously played in set two up til 5-0. Dominating tennis.

kfh_9118
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:01 AM
Miki *1-2 :scared:

SERVivor
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:06 AM
2-2

SERVivor
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:09 AM
no doubt she's fighting. She could have mentally gone away after the first set, but instead played her best tennis after losing the 1st set tiebreak. That's a good sign, And she held her nerve at 5-3 in the second. another good sign.

SERVivor
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:13 AM
3-3 after each broke the other

kfh_9118
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:15 AM
broke for *3-2, then broken back :( 3-3*

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:23 AM
What is she DOING out there? If she pulls out of this, it'll be winning ugly.

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:23 AM
Oh man, broken again ...

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:25 AM
I swear I can't even watch the scorelines of this shit.

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:27 AM
Attackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk Miki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:28 AM
Break Her Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:29 AM
Still hope ... will this break give her a lift?

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:30 AM
Plz hold :sobbing:

SERVivor
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:32 AM
gotta get some first serve in, getting killed on 2nd offerings

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:33 AM
stuck at 15 all?

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:35 AM
wtf????

WhatTheDeuce
wtf...

iGOAT
The fucking scoreboard broke :fiery:.

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:36 AM
It flashed 40-40 for about a split second and then reverted to 15-15.

No freakin' way.

kfh_9118
:scared:

WhatTheDeuce
Lost 4-6 :crying2:

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:37 AM
Nara won, 6-4. Broke Miki. Lousy performance.

iGOAT
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:38 AM
That's a shame :sad: this is a big setback in her progress. It will be interesting to see how she recovers from this.

Ballbasher
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:38 AM
:sad: :sad: Oh well... I hope she gets to play anywhere before New York! :hug: I hope she can get over the loss!
I don't believe in jinxing, but I for one did not like all that talking about possible MD spots, if she isn't even through Q2. :shrug: I can just imagine Miki being pressured, if she feels the same way!

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:40 AM
She wasn't seeded to win, but she should have. All those opportunities. Credit to Nara. Miki will have a better week later on.

SERVivor
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:41 AM
6-4 loss in the third. heartbreaking loss. I have a feeling Nara is incredibly mentally tough. She saved so many set points, break points, etc. at key timespoints during the match. Really, Lucic easily could have won 6-4 6-3 or 7-6 6-3.

kfh_9118
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
what a wasted opportunity by Miki :mad: :fiery:

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2010, 05:02 AM
This is no tragedy ... yeah, some seriously wasted opps, but I have a feeling this girl really plays like a scurrying little backboard and with serious grit --enough to drive someone nuts.

Miki has come back all year to play some of her best stuff ater tough losses. Remember Puchkova? Yakimova? Jovanovic? Oy!

She's been playing too tough. She's going to rest and get ready for the next challenge and she'll be good to go.

Sasja
Aug 2nd, 2010, 05:18 AM
Miki :sad: :hug:

cro123456
Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
I was so disappointed about the way Miki played.
The first set was nothing but a breakfest with the better end for Nara in the TB.
I really couldnīt believe Miki wasted 5 or 6 BP in the first set and especially the ones in the TB.
Both didnīt play well in the first set and were both struggling in their service games but if Miki moved better and won a few more points on her 2nd serve Iīm sure she wouldīve won the set and the whole match.
The second set was fine for Miki because she served well, her FH worked and she sent Nara all over the court and Nara seemed to struggle now.
In the third set her serve pretty much went to hell and I think she didnīt win a single point on her 2nd serve.
She double faulted twice and wasnīt abel to save a single break point out of 3.
Though she was able to break twice.. Nara three times but Miki had a few more BP which she couldnīt converte.
She could have won this if she served a bit better and converted more BPs because Naraīs serve is pretty weak. (most likely due to her height.)

But I also have to give credit to Nara with a nice performance.
This girl is still young, has a great fighting spirit and brings pretty much every ball back.

auntie janie
Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
That's a shame :sad: this is a big setback in her progress. It will be interesting to see how she recovers from this.

I'm sure she's disappointed in her performance, but as mikireturns said, she'll recover just fine. She still hasn't had that much experience playing these better players, players with all sorts of different games, and she knows that. This one loss is not going to wash away the fact that her last couple of months have been a phenomenal step up from a year ago.

Meanwhile, Miki stays for now at 150 in the rankings. Really an amazing climb. :hearts:

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Miki :sad: such a big chance it was to win and qualify or get ll spot :sad:
but she came back winning 2nd set after losing first in that way and nara is in good form.
better that it happened here than in new york
hope she gets in qualies in cinci and montreal

Hele.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
:sobbing:

Pebbles
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Mirjana :hug: Hopefully Kurumi will qualify now.

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:50 PM
Nara def. Brengle 6-3 6-2 :crying2:

mikireturns
Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:01 AM
Yep ... the loss was not as bad as it seems (unless we think of all the chances Miki had and, had she been able to convert, would have won in straight sets). Nurumi is a tough little bugger and waxed Brengle. Mirjana will not be rattled by this loss.

Miki won more points in that Nara match, too. Shame they weren't quite the right ones.

mikireturns
Aug 4th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Nara even gave Kirilenko one heck of a fight in 3 rough sets--the little midget backboard was playing real tough, so Miki has not too much to be ashamed of regarding her narrow loss.

On the other side, freakin' Cibulkova got waxed and had to retire against lumbering Coco. I'm telling you ... Miki is the hotness right now -- all it's going to take is just a little sliver of a good draw once she reaches her next main draw. Just that opening. She is playing hot stuff overall.

Certo~

kfh_9118
Aug 4th, 2010, 03:56 AM
hopefully the bad luck with the draw will end at US Open, the one that matters the most :angel:

mikireturns
Aug 4th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Oy.

Dulko got waxed, not Cibulkova. I am NOT to be believed. It's been a LONG day.

Lachrymarum
Aug 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Where is Mirjana's next tournament?

ajmo!
Aug 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Cinccinati if she gets in.

petar.st
Aug 4th, 2010, 02:33 PM
how far is she from MD?! anyone?

ajmo!
Aug 4th, 2010, 03:01 PM
how far is she from MD?! anyone?

she has no chances to get in md but she's 4th out of qualies

Miss Amor
Aug 4th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Mirjana Lucic Wallpaper (requested by Lucic fan)

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8724/lucic.th.png (http://img829.imageshack.us/i/lucic.png/)

ajmo!
Aug 4th, 2010, 03:26 PM
thanks :bounce: old photos :( but wallpaper is great :worship:

coetzergambill
Aug 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM
hope she gets into cinci qualies! every quali-match (and maybe md match) she wins improves her ranking! keep on miki!

petar.st
Aug 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM
yes..thx...thats was actually my question...
so i hope that in these 2 days she got the spot in

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM
How's she doing on the list for Montreal quallies? Is she in?

ajmo!
Aug 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM
She was 8 out when list came out.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
If she and Dokic both play Montreal I will literally be in my heaven.

tennismaster8820
Aug 6th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Cinci qualie draw:
(5)Sorana Cirstea v (wc)Danielle Mills
Mirjana Lucic v (15)Simona Halep

:scared: Tough draw!
Good luck Mirjana, give your best!

Ballbasher
Aug 7th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Simona is a claycourter, but she will still be a tough match. :unsure: All the best Mirjana! :D

ajmo!
Aug 7th, 2010, 02:34 AM
:scared: but happy she made it..gl miki, do your best :yeah:

ma re
Aug 7th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Will be tough indeed, Halep has been beating top150 girls on a regular basis this season, and beat quite a few top100's as well. She's currently on a career-high #95, and has wins over the likes of Schnyder and Cirstea under her belt this year.

Good luck Miki!

Sasja
Aug 7th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Indeed a tough draw. GL Miki :cheer:

ajmo!
Aug 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Bookies give them more or less same chances to win. I thought Simona would be favorite. :confused: Ajmo Miki, and she's again playing last match of the day :(

mikireturns
Aug 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Miki must rise to these challenges. If she wants the career to fly, she needs to beat the Haleps of the world, now that she is presented with the opportunity to play them in big events.

She has the game. The time is now. Seize it, Miki.

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Gosh, I hate this draw because I really like Simona and Sorana too! Oh well, at least one of my faves will get through. I think Simona is going to be a very tough match, but GL to Miki and we'll take it from there I guess.

mikireturns
Aug 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Gee, Stevenson gets into another premier qually event with her ranking in the 300s. Wild-cards must be sweet.

Well, Mirjana can beat Halep, but I don't know if she can beat Halep's bosom. I mean, isn't that like three against one? Not fair. :devil:

SERVivor
Aug 7th, 2010, 08:14 PM
oh, is Halep stacked. Too bad we can't watch live.

ajmo!
Aug 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Dekmeijre vs. Halep? what happened to lucic? :scared:

Ballbasher
Aug 7th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Mirjana must have withdrawn! Injury? :scared:

ajmo!
Aug 7th, 2010, 09:54 PM
:crying2: just to add, q places in md are best possible

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Very sad!!!!

petar.st
Aug 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM
WTF?!?!
i was waiting all day for this?! and on official site still old draw?!

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Damn :sad: Please be healthy for Montreal. :sobbing:

Ballbasher
Aug 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM
My last VERY LITTLE hope would be that since Cirstea just yesterday played in Copenhagen withdrew and they just moved the next highest ranked player in the section into her spot. But I don't think something like this ever happened. :o
Please be healthy soon. :sobbing:

SERVivor
Aug 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM
that would be great. Mills is an unknown and probably an easy opponent.

petar.st
Aug 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM
but they never move up a player..they add player on the spot of opponent that didnt show up... hm... sad...also sad that there is no information about it...

Ballbasher
Aug 7th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I agree with petar.st, I don't expect to see her name tonight! :o

Ballbasher
Aug 7th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Hope is gone. No match on SB anymore. Probably rescheduled Cirstea for tomorrow. We can just wait to see what kind of injury she has. :scared:

SERVivor
Aug 7th, 2010, 11:28 PM
hopefully, she just wants to rest since she has played alot lately.

SERVivor
Aug 7th, 2010, 11:29 PM
mikireturns, can you find out the scoop for us?

Ballbasher
Aug 8th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Miki's reason to withdraw is as simple as travel. :shrug: Does not seem to be any kind of injury! :scratch: She better starts her journey to Montreal now to make sure she arrives on time. :spit: It's definetely unfortunate, but better that than any injury. :D

mikireturns
Aug 8th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I'm not so sure this was a travel issue. Players generally must be on hand for sign-in and the scheduling of drawn matches. Someone, of course, may have mistakenly scheduled her and she was not around for sign-in. Hopefully she'll be prepared physically and logistically for Montreal, if she makes the cut there.

It's too bad--these $2 million events provide some of the best competition she needs and has been hoping for. The US Open quallies will be brutal, but she has got to be feeling good about her game, overall.