PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana Lucic Comeback Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 18th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Well it's certainly not an ideal draw, but at the very least she can play with total freedom because she has nothing to lose so she shouldn't be too nervous on the court. Vika on the other hand will have all the pressure, and that's not always been a good thing that she's responded well to in the past, so we'll just have to wait and see how it all goes down. I've got to believe anything is possible at this point and really hope Miki will get the win somehow.

berlin-cro
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:34 PM
u r all crazy-..
she has big chance...and draw is not bad..if she beet azarenka....first good player is woznicki..and she sucks lately... so it can be a long run...but everything depends on first round...and azarenka will offcourse be nervous also...

miki is most talanted player from steffi graf rising in 80s..and she had bad form last few years...but she cant forget how to play..lathough azarenka was also best junior in the world but i think she never had hard hitting in her game..she is more like jankovic..if she is fit...she can play wall game and win

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 18th, 2010, 11:21 PM
u r all crazy-..
she has big chance...and draw is not bad..if she beet azarenka....first good player is woznicki..and she sucks lately... so it can be a long run...but everything depends on first round...and azarenka will offcourse be nervous also...

miki is most talanted player from steffi graf rising in 80s..and she had bad form last few years...but she cant forget how to play..lathough azarenka was also best junior in the world but i think she never had hard hitting in her game..she is more like jankovic..if she is fit...she can play wall game and win
LOL it's pretty hilarious how you have NO idea what you're talking about. :lol:

Fretchap
Jun 18th, 2010, 11:42 PM
u r all crazy-..

:lol:

Bad draw for Miki, only thing we can hope is for Vika to be tired with her Eastbourne final. I just hope Mirjana shows some of her best tennis and puts in a good scoreline, qualifying for a GS already is a major step she has climbed :)

mikireturns
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:19 AM
The game has indeed changed a lot since Mirjana's days as a 1999 teen phenom. In one sense, I think she could have made a comeback of this significance in 07, but she frankly did not have the money to travel to events. I was in Indian Wells CA, when Miki won that R1 match at the PacLife Open. Miki was a wildcard, playing another wildcard, a forgotten collegiate player--I appropriately forget the girl's name--and she was in good shape, then. She lost 6-2 7-5 in R2, I believe, to Chakvetadze, who was ranked in the Top 20 at that time. I thought it was a promising indication of Miki's potential return, but she was not able to capitalize on that result because, financially, things were very insecure for her.

When I talked with her in Ft. Walton Beach in 09, she was with a different coach/dude than the one who is with her now, and I gather that her drama with IMG has been settled, and she has cobbled together some reliable supporters. This has produced results, the ones we are now seeing. She has been using the Bolletieri facility for hitting/practice--one hopes that she will keep building on this wonderful surge.

No matter what happens with Azarenka (and I still think Miki has the nerve to possibly win), the rest of this season is crucial so that she can position herself for day-in, day-out contention as she moves closer to the main tour. I mean, this is what she has worked for, so I do not expect her to be "merely" satisfied qualifying for Wimbledon. It's a great moral and actual victory/accomplishment, but she does want to do some damage when this opportunity has been seized.

She's got her confidence back, she's got her big game, she's got some wind in her sails ... I hope she keeps this sort of quality focus the rest of the year because she needs to be at least in the Top 70 for her career to be financially viable, and if she gets back to the Top 50(which I absolutely think she can do), then the comeback story will be great for her in terms of sponsors and rebuilding her future. There's some bad blood with the big management powers that flit around the tour and control a great deal of it, but Miki is erasing that by virtue of her courage and actual wins.

This is her story ... she is creating it, and I hope she keeps playing at this level because she is playing Top 50-70 tennis right at this moment, and under the right conditions (all stars being in alignment, etc.) I think Miki could still produce world-beating, championship form (Top 30, Top 20).

It's a lot to ask, but she's come so far, why stop now?

Go, Miki. It's all possible for you.

ma re
Jun 19th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Misa wrote:
Lost 6-3 6-2! All credit to Mirjana, she played very well.
And Misa's coach wrote:
Lucic worthy of her place in maindraw, after what she has gone through, full respect to her and best of luck.

Really nice words to say, you don't hear such class too often on the Tour:)

ma re
Jun 19th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Here, this match is mentioned as one of just two R1 matches to watch!

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2010/06/looking-toward-london.html

Sasja
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Really nice words to say, you don't hear such class too often on the Tour:)

These comeback stories are always very inspirational. Misa and Mirjana both had a career high close to top 30.
Misa's ranking went down to 300's due to injuries and personal problems, ofcourse no way near the problems Mirjana had to face. Misa is now trying to come back to the top 100 and she and her coach realize how difficult it is. Also, they know Mirjana had to face much more serious problems and had no ranking anymore. So she had to start all over again. And I think therefore they have the upmost respect for Mirjana. Well, who hasn't really :bowdown: :hatoff:

I'm glad Mirjana is getting back to the highest level and is happy, healthy & enjoying tennis. :)
I definitely will be watching the match, live or otherwise record it. It's a tough 1st round, but I hope she plays well and enjoys her return on the big stage.

vedranTennis
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:37 AM
hi guys. am loving this site, and I still can't believe there's phanatics like me that follow tennis in this way...I too am really glad that mirjana lucic is back and am really looking forward to her match with azarenka. I have been watching azarenka in eastbourne and she is playing well but still I think mirjana has the kind of a game where it doesn't depend on the other player if she is going to win or not. if she plays well, has strong shots, and not a lot of unforced errors she is very likely to win the match because she dictates everything in the match. but we'll see hot it goes, lets hope for the best. does anyone know when does the schedule of play come out ?

MLF
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I was hoping for a softer draw too but it is what it is, and worst case scenario is that Mirjana leaves the UK having won 7 matches, only losing to 2 top 20 players, with a much improved ranking and some dollars in her pocket. She wasn't sure if she would make the cut for either Edgbaston or Wimbledon so I'm sure she's going to enjoy the experience and try to make the most of it. It's sport and she has a hitter's chance.

SERVivor
Jun 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM
The schedule of play for monday will come out on sunday, I think. Although, this match probably won't be on one of the two biggest courts, it will likely be livestreamed. During the majors, usually 4 or 5 courts are livestreamed.

frenchie
Jun 19th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Azarenka is actually injured

both knees

tennismaster8820
Jun 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Misa wrote:
Lost 6-3 6-2! All credit to Mirjana, she played very well.
And Misa's coach wrote:
Lucic worthy of her place in maindraw, after what she has gone through, full respect to her and best of luck.

Really classy from Misa and her coach, it is not easy to say it after loss! :worship:

croat123
Jun 19th, 2010, 02:28 PM
i didn't see the match, but azarenka still had very good statistics today despite her injury...

Hele.
Jun 19th, 2010, 02:54 PM
well, i watched the second set today of today final, and on court azarenka seemed to be injuried, she was showing painfull expressions and her movement wasn't great. between points she was hoppling. although all this, her shots were great and in most of them she could dictate the point and until the end she kept this match very doubtful. she even had few break points in second set to come back completly to equal results but makarova almost all bps saved by great serves. all in all, in my opinion if she will be in this condition at monday or tuesday i don't think she will endure whole match but if rest will be enough and she will be ready for the match then miki will have to play perfect match from begining to end to beat vika :yeah:.

vedranTennis
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:54 PM
hi guys. I saw azarenkas match at the eastbourne final on serbian eurosport and the commentator was saying that she might withdraw from wimbledon due to knee injury, especially the left knee. in that case mirjana would get a lucky looser or ?

SERVivor
Jun 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I watched on Tennis Channel here in the U.S. Azarenka wanted to retire early in the second set, but her coach encouraged her to keep playing. Probably not a wise choice as she ended up losing anyway, and didn't do her body any favors. While it would certainly help Lucic play a LL, I still hope she plays a slightly injured plays Azarenka.

croat123
Jun 19th, 2010, 04:29 PM
i don't think she would play an LL if Azarenka withdraws before play starts. in that case, i think Miki will get the highest non-seed, Oudin (who is slumping, but made the 4th round here last year with some good wins)
i think she will get an LL if Azarenka withdraws after play begins. in which case let's hope for pivovarova :D

croat123
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM
just saw safina is out. oudin takes her spot. now the highest ranked non-seed is k. bondarenko

SERVivor
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
ALOT of withdrawals this year, especially among the men

croat123
Jun 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM
another w/d
next one to be seeded is petkovic :scared:

croat123
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM
miki crushing a fh swinging volley vs. smith in the background :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/skott84#p/u/15/03U44zMFD6M

networthy
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:48 PM
The best scenario for Mirjana is that Azarenka withdraws after the Day 1 order of play has been published and is replaced in the draw by...Michaella Krajicek?!

cro123456
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:52 PM
The best scenario for Mirjana is that Azarenka withdraws after the Day 1 order of play has been published and is replaced in the draw by...Michaella Krajicek?!

HAha yeah that woould be great. :D

croat123
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:16 PM
i'd see her easily into the third round if that was the case :) really doubt vika will pull out though

vedranTennis
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I know I think azarenka was faking it a bit in eastbourne because she seems a bit psycologically instable and a sore looser...I just hope lucic will win. she really needs to get some money to pay off the debts and provide for her family. she needs it more than other girls on the tour. so let's hope for the best.

ma re
Jun 20th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I might be crazy but I think even Miki wants a big match here i.e. to play Azarenka. She is always the most inspired by these big matches and plays extra good against big names.

Come on lads, give us the Center court! (I'm dreaming, I know...:))

vedranTennis
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
order of play is out she is playing on tuesday....

mala18
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Nice article this morning;

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100620/COLUMNIST/6201024/2050/SPORTS?Title=Long-road-back-to-Wimbledon-for-Lucic

mikireturns
Jun 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Very nice 3 page article on Miki! Thanks for ponting that out. It certainly has been a rather amazing two weeks for her, but she sounds balanced and encouragingly confident. That is the key ingredient (self-belief) she needed, and now that she's got it, she's dangerous. I also agree that she gets fired-up for big match opportunities. I think she's going to enjoy playing Azarenka, too. Why not a win? It's tennis and, if she plays the ball without fear, it'll be great to see her fight no matter what.

ma re
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:14 PM
There's been quite a bit written about her return to Wimbledon these days, so I'd be really surprised if they don't place this match on one of the showcourts.

mala18
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Brad Gilbert just tweeted this;
Brad Gilbert tweeted this about MIki;
Props to Mirjana Lucic for qualifying 11 years after making semis and 6 years out of the game, great comeback story plays Aza tough 1st rd - Brad Gilbert at 1:01:43 pm ET Jun 20th

ajmo!
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:47 AM
Really nice to be back after few days off. I hope Azarenka will pull out, but I doubt..

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:10 AM
Brad Gilbert just tweeted this;
Brad Gilbert tweeted this about MIki;
Props to Mirjana Lucic for qualifying 11 years after making semis and 6 years out of the game, great comeback story plays Aza tough 1st rd - Brad Gilbert at 1:01:43 pm ET Jun 20th
Brad :worship: Even though he can be an idiot, I kinda love him now.

SERVivor
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:27 AM
BRAD! always entertaining on espn,

lynxy
Jun 21st, 2010, 08:47 AM
From Wimbledon qualifying:

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu33/lynxy_tennis/Wimbledon%202010%20Qualifying/DSC_0591crop.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu33/lynxy_tennis/Wimbledon%202010%20Qualifying/DSC_1318crop.jpg

mikireturns
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Miki falls BACK one spot to # 182 in the rankings today.

mikireturns
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:20 PM
Maybe I'm off base, but the official Wimbledon website kinda sucks compared to the other Grand Slam websites. Their live-scoring system is skeevy and prone to glitches. Plus the site is not as well-organized as the other Slam sites. Maybe that's on purpose.

I wonder how Miki is feeling. Pretty excited and ready to attack, I'll bet.

mikireturns
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
Look at that smile on Miki's face!!!! She's so happy, and she deserves every little shred of happiness. What a jolt that must've given her. Way to go, Miki.

Meanwhile, her coach has shaved his head. He looks much better.

berlin-cro
Jun 21st, 2010, 04:56 PM
i hope it will be tomorrow ont tv court...
cause todays match - wickmayer - riske is not... hope they will know how this match is expected in some countries :)

croat123
Jun 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM
i'm watching wickmayer-riske right now...it's on a tv court

berlin-cro
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:07 PM
where?!
i thought court 14 is without TV cameras

berlin-cro
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM
CC
C18
C12
C5

those courts are officially with tv coverage

croat123
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:09 PM
espn3.com
you must be in the U.S. to watch
no clue why there isn't a feed elsewhere

croat123
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:13 PM
i also have 14, 16 and 17

berlin-cro
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:13 PM
hm...ok..then i hope she will be on courts with normal tv coverage for europe.... :)

and how long do we need to wait for OoP for tomorrow?

croat123
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM
it's usually 7 or 8pm local time when there has been no rain :) i wouldn't be surprised if she got court 2 or 18

berlin-cro
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:17 PM
well i really hope i will be able finally to watch her match after so many years. :)

btw does anyone knows any links over the net to cover those additional courts?

ajmo!
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:19 PM
http://www.livescorehunter.com/Livescores/Livescore-Tennis.html

croat123
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM
they are TBA which means they will be put up last on a show court, possible CC or C1 :eek:

berlin-cro
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM
thx to all

http://livetennis.6te.net/
fromsport.com

but still no wickmayer on any of them :(
but ok..doesnt matter... i hope lucic will be on normal TV court

ajmo!
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM
they are TBA which means they will be put up last on a show court, possible CC or C1 :eek:

:eek: :eek: i think mirjana was dreaming about playing on wimbledon cc court again..but even c1 would eb good :P

berlin-cro
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:26 PM
hope soderling, nadal and serena will be fast...or tsonga, murray, wozniacki

but does this means they will go for sure on big courts...or they can be on some other court who ever finishes first?

croat123
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM
it'll be a tv court for sure. singles matches are scheduled as TBA because they want to put them on CC/C1 if there is enough time

ma re
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM
:bounce:

Can you tell I can't wait...:lol:

croat123
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM
imagine if she got put on CC
she hasn't played there i think since the third round in 99 (her semi vs. graf was on C1 because of rain and i'm pretty sure her QF was also on C1)

berlin-cro
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM
it would be great..but it will be a long day waiting everyone to end :(

croat123
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM
that's the same guy that was with her in plantation earlier this year (where she couldn't get a ball in the court)

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:56 PM
Really hope Miki can come out and fire tomorrow with no nerves. She's definitely got a fighting chance and who knows how Vika's knees are feeling.....?

Sasja
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:08 AM
Not before 17.00, which means I can follow the match when I come home :yippee:

GL Mirjana :cheer2:

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:57 AM
Really hope Miki can come out and fire tomorrow with no nerves. She's definitely got a fighting chance and who knows how Vika's knees are feeling.....?

i think vika is ok, follow her twittwr-nothing about injuries :p

ma re
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
I wonder how much crowd support will Miki have. It's been a long time since she played on a big event and who knows how many people (outside of Croatia) actually remember her these days. There are some Croats in London, but not many as far as I know, and certainly not all of them follow tennis. Anyway, we have an interesting day ahead:)

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM
yehh, plus it'll be late so some people will go home but it's ok. those who stay to watch the match are gonna have interesting one

Hele.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:08 AM
Good luck Miki today! :bounce:
Can't wait for a match! :scared:

AaronJoyB
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Come Onnn

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
:yawn:

volume3d
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
on which court they are going to play?
CC?after Soderling(who just started:o )

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
The way the matches are shaping up as far as time constraints and current court-schedules and occupation, I would not be surprised to see Miki play on either CC or C1. The Hantuchkova/King match will not take precedence over Azarenka/Lucic, I'm hoping.

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
I'm guessing CC or Court 11, at this point. Hopefully they'll put Daniela/Vania on Court 11 after Bammer is caput and Miki/Viki on CC. One can dream.

You KNOW Miki is fired up and ready to fight!

GO, grrl ... believe in yourself. Kanepi thumped Stosur. Anything can happen in tennis if you make it happen. Throw everything at Azarenka and make her dig low for those balls.

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
are there cameras on c11?

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
murray just finished and vinci and bammer could easily play 3 sets so maybe they will put those 2 matches on cc and c1.
i guess they already decided but just didn't post it online.

ma re
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Soderling closing down on set #2.

Ballbasher
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
HUGE chance to play on CC or C1, if Caro hurries. :unsure: Would be amazing!

SERVivor
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Soderling is blowing Ginepri away 2 sets to none in 50 minutes of play. They should be done in about a half hour. That will pave the way for Lucic-Azarenka on Center Court?!?

AaronJoyB
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Soderling is blowing Ginepri away 2 sets to none in 50 minutes of play. They should be done in about a half hour. That will pave the way for Lucic-Azarenka on Center Court?!?

Maybe!!!

volume3d
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
soderling break in 3rd already.....please CC;)PLEASEEEEE

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
somebody will play on cc, just don't know if lucic-azarenka or hantuchova -king :mad:

SERVivor
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
I would think Azarenka-Lucic would win out. Azarenka is a higher seed than Daniela and Lucic has the comeback story. Hopefully they won't pull a switch and put the Williams sisters' doubles match on Center Court. Wieder things have happened.

Ballbasher
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
I would honestly expect it to be Hantuchova/King, just because they are first on the TBA list and they may just go ahead and place matches after that list. ;)

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
I would hope they'd put the seeded player on CC. The doubles have already been cancelled for the day. They'll be on somewhere most likely in 30 minutes time.

Miki wanted Wimbledon, and she's GOT it ... long days of waiting for uncertain courts. Welcome back to Grand Slam competition!

Now go and bust Azarenka in the head.

MLF
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hopefully Miki's lapping this up - this is what she wanted again. I hope she stays focused and positive. I'm sure if Miki can make a good start Azarenka's knees might begin to feel sore.

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
don't forget mirjana also had some problems with injuries and she said that last week.
i think azarenka's injury isn't that big deal at all.

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Centre Court!!!!!

ma re
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
I never thought waiting will be this frustrating:fiery: And now if their match gets postponed because of the weather or darkness...:rolleyes:

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
I never thought waiting will be this frustrating:fiery: And now if their match gets postponed because of the weather or darkness...:rolleyes:

there's no darkness on cc :p

vedranTennis
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM
court 11 has no tv coverage. it would be a bummer if they put her there. let's see in a few minutes how the situation unravels

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
it's on center court!! check the schedule

AaronJoyB
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
ajmooo:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::d evil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::de vil::devil:

mala18
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
its CENTAR COURT RIGHT AFTER SODELRING
AJMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ajmo!

mikireturns
Holy CRAP!

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Now Miki ... go out there and sink your teeth into legs. There's a match to play. Whoah!

ajmo!
GSM Soserling
Mirjana's 10 years of dreaming are becoming reality again.
Enjoy your moment! :hug:

AaronJoyB
its CENTAR COURT RIGHT AFTER SODELRING
AJMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

volume3d
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
OMG Sod just finished!!!!good luck Miki

Pebbles
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
I'm so excited for Mirjana, seems like forever since I saw her play.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
OMG it's on Centre :banana:

ma re
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Can you guys imagine what's going through her head right now?!!! Center court of Wimbledon!!!

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
hear you guys in few hours :p
i need full concentration..ajmo miki ! :bounce:

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
can u see her smiling' omg :D

SERVivor
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
Thank Robin for the record time of sinking Ginepri so we could have our dream of Lucic on CC become a reality! Go Lucic! I hope she gets a big ovation from the crowd. In one month, she goes from the crappy facility in nortwest florida to CC at Wimbledon. I wouldn't have bet $1 on that happening.

AaronJoyB
livestreaing?? pleasee

Ballbasher
:speakles: OUTSTANDING FOR MIKI!!!

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
streaming now on espn3.com

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
stream

http://www.fromsport.com/v-0/0/114/v-11597.html

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Ajmo 1-0

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Lucic 1-0* ajmo!

Pebbles
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
I can't believe this isn't being televised right now :(

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
LMFAO what a HUGE return by Mirjana, wow

:hearts: Miss her so much

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
dammit...df and then a great return

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
No excessive nerves apparent, but she will have to move better and tighten it up.

Ballbasher
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Vika is playing VERY well, no signs of her injury so far. Miki does well out there so far!

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Groundstrokes have gone way off...

Azarenka is playing really well though.

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
:sad: first serves please

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Miki is not playing well at all, yet. 4 games in a row lost. Too many errors. She needs to tighten it up. Use these next couple games to dig her heels in there.

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
that's much better off the ground...ajmo

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
I can't handle her handing this away on DF's :sobbing:

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
Cmon!

croat123
really improving...ajmo

Pebbles
3-4, break her again Mirjana!

volume3d
miki you are great LOL:)

JLC
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Just joined forum. Watching on ESPN3.com. This is too exciting. Serve has deserted her.

Was that her career-first challenge on the 4-2 deuce-side serve?

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
Ick. Not the game plan, Miki. She can play much better than this. SERVE, Miki. S.E.R.V.E

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
yeah, that must have been her first challenge
azarenka is playing very well and miki's missed a few easy shots, mainly long

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Respectable set, but she can be a lot better. Just hope she can bring it in the second set, and maybe hope for a little dip in play from Azarenka.

:sobbing: Ajmo!

tennismaster8820
Wow I am really happy Mirjaa is so close to level of Azarenka even though she is losing!
This match has so many positives Mirjana can take from it for the future! :hearts:
If she would serve as Azarenka she would have all the chances!

Pebbles
Get those first serves in Mirjana, only 35% in. Ajmo!

JLC
35% first serve 1st set. That's not going to get the job done today. Otherwise, she's right in it.

SERVivor
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
needs to up the first serve percentage big time

JLC
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:18 PM
She needs to shorten the swing on the forehand and keep her head down...she's pulling up, causing most of those forehands to go long. Backhand looks good.

Pebbles
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Good start :)

Pebbles
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hold here Mirjana

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Miki a bit late on her shots. She needs to take some off the serve (35%????? NOoooooooooo!) and tighten her game.

Pebbles
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Yep, take a few MPH off that first serve and get it in, mix it up a little. It's still huge, though :hearts:

JLC
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Up to this point, Azarenka is doing everything better; notably defending and serving. Lucic's movement seems to be her biggest liability. GOOD HOLD though. C'mon...

Pebbles
1-1

JLC
Has Lucic been to net once?

Pebbles
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Has Lucic been to net once?
Only a couple times, she hit a great dropshot early on.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Mirjana's gonna need her serve to be clicking 100%, there's no room for less. Mirjana's hitting the ball pretty well but Azarenka's getting the better of most extended rallies.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:31 PM
:bigcry:

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
My stream died

Pebbles
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
I think the BBC coverage crashed, all streams are stuck at the same point :(

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
she just seems off balance at times, especially on her fh

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
miki's getting negative :(

MLF
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
she just seems off balance at times, especially on her fh

Well, yes, but it's a long, long time since she was playing top 20 players on grand slam show courts. The balls are coming through a lot harder and deeper than she's seen in years. A lot of positives to be had here regardless of the outcome.

mala18
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
miki is nervous clearly
she wasnt there in 11 years
i expected that

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
miki needs to hold here

Pebbles
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
2-4

WhatTheDeuce
Please break here :sobbing:

croat123
time to dig deep...go after that forehand!

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
just hold miki...she hasn't played that bad, azarenka has only 6 errors

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:46 PM
just a bad draw, mirjana's actually playing really good. :sad:

Pebbles
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
3-5

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
3 aces :hearts:

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Last chance now...

JLC
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Serve is clicking...finally. May be too little too late. BREAK HERE

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
i'm proud of her, but sad because of the draw

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
that's the best i've ever seen azarenka serve :sad:

JLC
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
Too bad. Still a promising performance. I wonder if she'll get some wildcards now.

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Sasja
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
Mirjana lost 3-6 3-6 :sad:

Vika played well. Mirjana did well, but a shame about her 1st serve % in the 1st set :hug:

Still a good job on qualifying though. Great to see her on centre court :hearts:
Interesting what the rest of the year will bring for Mirjana.

Pebbles
Still a wonderful effort from Mirjana, promising signs from this performance. Hopefully now she'll begin playing qualifying for WTA events, she is simply too good a player to keep plugging away in ITF's. Best of luck Miki :)

WhatTheDeuce
Still extremely proud of her :hug: But yeah, that draw sucked.

But how amazing is this though? Barring health problems, she's going nowhere but up. She should be pleased with this event, all things considered. Elated, even.

ajmo!
She played great. I'm so sad cuase she lost but also proud cause Azarenka was at her best and Mirjana fought. I think she would be 90% of other players in the draw and maybe even Azarenka on another day but this is life. Congrats Mirjana for everything you do and for the person you are. GL on next tournaments honey. :sad:

joxong
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
vika was just too good today,maybe best i have seen of her
miki played very well , but the serve was not working today an that is what made the difference :sad:
all in all great week for miki , she can be proud of herself :worship:

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM
Well, she could have done worse, particularly against a player who was playing out of her head. Azarenka's stats told it all, and even though Miki could have played a tighter match and her serve stats were atrocious, she can be very proud of this incredible journey. Azarenka really wasn't missing a thing today and serving out of a tree.

Who would have guessed ... CENTER COURT!!!! And she earned it. More play against top players like Azarenka and her breakthrough will certainly arrive. These oast two weeks have been a breakthrough, really.

Onward and upward, Miki. You should be proud of your achievement. A dream come true and more too come.

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
I really hope she stays in Cuneo, there's no reason she can't do really well there with the tennis she showed. Would have beaten at least 80% of the draw with her game today

berlin-cro
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
it was a great match...and azarenka played the best match in long time...she almost didnt miss anything...
hopefully miki will try to qualify on some big tournaments...

JLC
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
From the depths of hell to Wimbledon's Centre Court. Life really has a strange way of working out. She has nothing to be ashamed of here... Now...on to the US hard court season.

MLF
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
She has so much to be hopeful about. She came to the UK with no guarantees of making even the qualifying draws at Birmingham and Wimbledon, sneaked into both won 7 matches along the way and her only two defeats were against top 20 opposition. I hope she keeps that in mind and I hope today's match makes her want even more of these moments.

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
she just needs more matches against players of this level. many of the shots she hit today would have ended the point in challengers and miki looked off-balance on some shots
now back to her other favorite surface...clay

SERVivor
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
It was almost surreal to see her on Center Court. I thought she played well. Azarenka just got too many first serves in play. Especially in the first set, Mirjana teed off on the second serve. Azarenka just served better and made very few unforced errors. What happened to Azarenka's injury. She didn'to seem injured at all and was able to move well. Mirjana made her scamper accross the court a few times and she moved fine.

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:29 PM
Support please:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=17951913#post17951913

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
i hope she gets a wc to budapest or bastad...really deserves it at this point

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 22nd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Great achievement to even be in the main draw! Very proud of our girl and really hope she keeps this momentum going!!!

Pebbles
Jun 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Mirjana at Wimbledon Players Party, sorry if already posted :)
http://i49.tinypic.com/95tzdt.jpg

croat123
Jun 23rd, 2010, 12:38 AM
I hadn't seen that one :) must have felt great

ce
Jun 23rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
she looks great and happy :inlove:

mikireturns
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:26 AM
Mirjana is so beautiful in that photo. I'm sure she had such a good feeling to be back among her peers at that party.

This has been a well-deserved triumph for her. After all she has endured, no matter where she goes in life, she can say she literally fought her way back to the biggest stage in her sport!

Now, I hope she knows how well she has done and gets hungry for more fighting on more surfaces against more players.

Go, MIKI!

mikireturns
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:00 AM
Just watched the match again at espn3.com (it's still available to view under the "replay" section, 8PM California time).

I must say, I am impressed by the way Miki handled an obviously overwhelming occasion after being away from any limelight whatsoever, for so long. There were certainly some nerves, and I would guess the event itself and the unexpected placement on Centre Court had something to do with that, and the nerves most manifested themselves in her movement. She was just a touch flat-footed and, thus, late on her trademark forehand at times. Just that little bit.

But what a courageous start and, despite such first-serve troubles on the day, she was playing solid enough for me to guess that she was displaying Top 50 tennis, all things considered. Most encouraging. If she had gotten 60% of first serves in, this would have been a far different match and Miki could have taken a set or perhaps even unsettled Azarenka for an upset. Cheers to Vika, who played very very clean (but unspectacularly, IMO). As it was, Miki played respectably against a girl ranked No. 11 in the world right now. Took a set's worth of games off her without having her serve firing, her forehand really clicking, and with her heart perhaps a bit in her throat on that glorious, majestic Court of Dreams. At 60% first serves, Miki is a Top 40 player, I believe. At 65%, she is Top 30 or better.

This is the turning point (a GREAT turnning point!) for Miki's future. She now knows she can hang in there with the best in the world and, if she adjusts a couple of things, she has to know she can beat the best. The plan now should be to seek some wild cards into WTA events (she ought to get at least a couple between now and the US Open, after this finery in England), and treat each of those events with the same seriousness and focus as Birmingham and Roehampton.

As one of the fellow fans said, barring injury, she must only go upward. Her game is indeed too good and too strong right now and she is so fit. Build on this confidence, Miki, and you will be in the Top 100 by the end of this year.

But she must keep that focus and use this momentum. No distractions. If she wants it, she must fight for it, and there is another Slam to be played in 2010! Virginia Wade thought she could certainly reach the Top 100 very soon, and Wade is a very astute commentatrix.

Keys for Miki:

1. Take a little bit off the first serve (as she started to do too late in set 2 today) when her percentage is so low. If she even hovers around 60% regularly she'll be winning matches all over the world.

2. Keep that fitness working for her; movement is the key to her fantastically early, on-the-rise timing that allows her to crack that massive flat forehand and big backhand. Movement, Miki!--especially as we go to the hard courts.

I hope she goes home and someone opens a little bottle of champagne for her. Just the one :cool:

ma re
Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
Just a few things about yesterday:

- her obvious weaknesses were long rallies and insufficient speed; Vika figured it out quickly and worked on that exactly, keeping the ball in play for as long as possible and shooting from one side to another; but the thing is, because of the very fact that her movement isn't that great, she has to risk more on the groundstrokes and try to end points earlier - which then leads to a lot of UE's
- as already mentioned, by reducing the power on her serve, it's precision might be improved, Sprem did just that lately and is serving somewhat better
- she made 11 UE's more than her opponent, that's enough to give away almost three entire games (out of 12 that Vika won) - you can have as many weapons as you want, but that stat won't get you the win against a top 20 player
- her facing someone this solid is great for the rest of her season, cause now she (for the first time in a loooong time) felt what it's like to face top quality tennis again and knows better what she has to do to improve (at least I hope she does); if there's a chance for her to get a recording of that match, she must do it, just to see what were her major problems and how Vika handled the situation.

All in all, it was a great tournament for her, I hope she capitalises on this experience.

ajmo!
Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
i hope she gets a wc to budapest or bastad...really deserves it at this point

i tihnk she could get wc for cuneo and wta palermo..
also wouldn't be suprised if portorož would give her one..
we'll se, at least she has rank to play qualies now :)

AaronJoyB
Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
someone can upload the match?:worship:

berlin-cro
Jun 23rd, 2010, 12:28 PM
is she going in cuneo for sure?

croat123
Jun 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
she didn't pull out yet, so i'm expecting her to be there. should be seeded in qualies (6 points if she qualifies)

AaronJoyB
Jun 23rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
she didn't pull out yet, so i'm expecting her to be there. should be seeded in qualies (6 points if she qualifies)

I hope she will skip this

mikireturns
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
I also hope she'll try to go for some tour-level wild cards and skip Cuneo ... unless she feels ready to get back out there and just start beating-up on players again. The draw at Cuneo is filled with some Top 100 players, so it might be wise to play, but to have to qualify for it will be a real emotional come-down. Still, she has to get back to the grind. Fight fight fight.

As for her game, the footwork can be improved to a certain extent, and the serve must be improved. Not in terms of form, so much, but just taking a little off for consistency. Miki needs to use a strong, consistent first-serve to open-up the court and let her play first-strike tennis (because that is indeed what her flat, early groundies are meant for) and force short balls that she can put away.

Her game is meant for that and she has been doing exactly that in her more successful matches this year (where she is serving 50-60%). Playing the big game that the big girls play and that is very doable for her because she has done it.

Just needs to be bit more strategic on the serve to create even a bit of a court opening, keep the feet moving so she can keep her on-the-rise attacking game clicking, dictate as much as possible for the first three/four shots, and put away the inevitable mid-court response.

(sigh) ... tennis is a harsh mistress

ajmo!
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
I hope she will skip this

i don't see why. she had few days to recover from qualies and has few days until the start of the tournament. i don't mind her playing

rucolo
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Mirjana :sad:

Anyway it was a great Wimbledon for Mirjana!:D:yeah:
Qualifying and playing a Top player on Centre Court again!
She is clearly going in the right direction.
Azarenka just reached Eastbourne final, so it was an unlucky draw.

Hope Mirjana continues to improve the next months.;)
She has so much talent, hope will be back in Top 100 soon.

Like that Mirjana is working hard and enjoying tennis.
Eventually the hard work will pay off.

Mirjana at Wimbledon Players Party, sorry if already posted :)

http://i49.tinypic.com/95tzdt.jpg

wow Mirjana looks very good!:)

croat123
Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
i really wish we knew her schedule

ajmo!
Jun 24th, 2010, 09:52 AM
no cuneo, she withdrew today
would like to know why :confused:

AaronJoyB
Jun 24th, 2010, 11:04 AM
no cuneo, she withdrew today
would like to know why :confused:
Right decision. After all the grass effort, 10 days off are a good choice. She can recharge the battery and heal the light injuries she has.

ajmo!
Jun 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Ok, next should be Bastad(since she played there last year)or Budapest?

croat123
Jun 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM
she's in Bastad qualies (so is Kanepi :o :scared: )

ajmo!
Jun 24th, 2010, 01:33 PM
let's hope kanepi will go deep in wimbledon and wont feel like playing qualies of international event :p

mikireturns
Jun 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
We'll see how Kanepi does the rest of Wimbledon, but I don't care about Kanepi.

I'm not going to continue looking at most of these girls as being automatic "roadblocks" for Miki. She can start knocking these girls out of her way. She's back.:kiss:

berlin-cro
Jun 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM
i would go so far and say even that kanepi will be in semis of wimbledon....
but anyhow miki can beat her...

AaronJoyB
Jun 24th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Official FB fanpage:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Mirjana-Lucic/127649803938797?ref=ts

mikireturns
Jun 24th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Great! I opened a Facebook account just to join it (and I really hate Facebook):devil:

Go Miki ... work it, girl!

AaronJoyB
Jun 25th, 2010, 08:21 AM
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=mb&sk=messages#!/pages/Mirjana-Lucic/127649803938797?ref=ts

ajmo!
Jun 26th, 2010, 06:17 PM
looks liek she would maybe make it even to cuneo md cause birnerova, who was under on list, is top seed in qualies.

ajmo!
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:16 PM
It's not important but still:
ITF corrected the score from Carson. Miki retired at 3-6 0-3 and not at 0-6 0-3
:wavey:

croat123
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
can't wait till friday...last year there was a live stream for all of the MD matches on center court

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Where's she playing next? :shrug: I don't see her on the Cuneo entry list...

croat123
Jun 27th, 2010, 08:40 PM
she pulled out of cuneo...she's in bastad qualies :) no clue after that, but i'm assuming she's doing the european WTA tour and then it's US Open time
really hope she can take confidence from playing so well in Wimbledon. i know a lot of people say she is too one dimensional, but i think it's just a question of confidence for her and i really hope she can get her game to it's top level soon.

ma re
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:25 AM
^^ Her game can indeed look one-dimensional, but she can play with more variety that's for sure. She has a solid net game, can drop shot beautifully etc., after all, she wasn't #19 in doubles for nothing. But why she doesen't utilize that part of her game more is really a mistery to me. I also wonder when will she apply for doubles.

ajmo!
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM
^^ Her game can indeed look one-dimensional, but she can play with more variety that's for sure. She has a solid net game, can drop shot beautifully etc., after all, she wasn't #19 in doubles for nothing. But why she doesen't utilize that part of her game more is really a mistery to me. I also wonder when will she apply for doubles.

yes, she didn't play doubles in a long time. i tought she would apply at least for mix in wimbledon but not :(

mikireturns
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mirjana is not as one-dimensional as some people have supposed, though people have indeed said that very thing about her. Certainly no more one-dimensional than 90% of the tour's girls. They go out and they hit hard. That's the story. I think Miki has been called one-dimensional because, stroke-wise, she typically has just one gear out there--very hard, very flat, very fast, very on-the-rise--and does not depart from this plan even when she's missing.

That being said, she can use slice, the drop-shot, and some nice defense-to-offense tricks, as well as subtle variations in pace during a match. She has an almost Chris Evert-like inside-out forehand that you don't see too often. Really nice. And she can volley. Moreover, Miki has shown aptitude success on all surfaces. She is very much at home on both clay and grass. She knows how to move on both. She can likewise play well on hard courts, if her movement is really in top shape. If she's out of shape, then sticky hard-courts pose trouble for her, but she has no worries about that these days.

Doubles is surely tough for her right now. Until she is making regular money to travel reliably and regularly to a broad line-up of significant tour-level events (and qualify for MD action), finding a doubles partner is almost impossible. Another serious doubles player is not going to want a steady partner who cannot travel freely in terms of basic finances. Too, one simply can't "pick" a last-minute doubles partner when one gets to a tournament site, like in the old days. Entries generally must be filled out ahead-of-time, doubles draws are more streamlined, etc. It's too bad, because Miki would benefit from the extra money doubles can provide, but she can't benefit until she has money. Conundrum.

State-funded players, sponsored players, and players with national stipends can swing loose doubles partnerships (even at the far less-profitable Challenger level), but a lone ranger like Miki can't do that yet. When she gets some sponsors and is fully integrated back on the tour (hopefully by the beginning of next year) I would expect to see her find a doubles partner because really she could excel and carve-out a longer career by excelling at doubles as well as singles.

IF her singles career doesn't reach proftiable status by next year, she could conceivably pursue a career as a doubles spepcialist and put all of her eggs into that basket ... but I think she will be fully back on tour next year, challenging in singles and doubles.

ajmo!
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I think she's much happier being #160 and singles than she would be if she was #10 in doubles and no singles rank. That's why I doubt she would ever like to become a doubles specialist.

mikireturns
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I think she's much happier being #160 and singles than she would be if she was #10 in doubles and no singles rank. That's why I doubt she would ever like to become a doubles specialist.

I totally agree. Singles is her goal and her game. But, unless she gets back to the Top 100 in singles, she won't be able to make a profitable living in pro tennis. Believe me, I have no doubt she is heading back to the Top 10 (and much better than that). BUT, hypothetically speaking only, if for whatever reason the Top 100 did not occur, and Miki still passionately wanted some career around tennis no matter what, until her late 30s, then she could reasonably explore the idea of doubles specialism. It would be a Plan B.

But as I said, she is going to surge upward back into the Top 100 and higher. No doubt in my mind.

ma re
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
...I have no doubt she is heading back to the Top 10 (and much better than that).

:eek:

Those are some mighty high expectations to say the least. I'd be really happy with top50 and honestly don't think she can go much higher than that - eventhough I'd really like to be proved wrong, that's for sure:)

croat123
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
she's playing palermo Q. top seed for now is kanepi, but she'll make the md. cut-off is already very low (below 300)

AaronJoyB
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
she's playing palmero Q. top seed for now is kanepi, but she'll make the md. cut-off is already very low (below 300)

Palermo

mikireturns
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Er... the Top 10 was a typo. I meant to note that I totally see Mirjana storming back into the Top 100 for now, and even better. I think, if she stays fit and focused, and really works on her service stats, she could regain the Top 40-50 in the world, and perhaps even come close to her old peak of No. 32, a bit. Top 20 is not out of the realm of possibility. She hits as hard as anyone and, with her confidence restored and no demon relative to impede her now, she could possibly knock on those doors.

One step at a time. The rest of this season will be crucial.

croat123
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Palermo
:p sorry, was typing too fast

berlin-cro
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:19 PM
so where is she next week?

ajmo!
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Bastad

croat123
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM
draw comes out friday :) she might be seeded because the cut-off will be low

Connect_HR
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Naprijed nase cure ali posebno drzim fige sljedeci tjedan Mirjani kojoj zelim puno srece

ajmo!
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Kathrin Woerle [1] v Maret Ani
Anne Kremer v Emma Laine
Ksenia Palkina v Ana Jovanovic
Richel Hogenkamp v Mirjana Lucic [8]

I never heard of girl but she seems to be good. Last week lost really close to Barthel and earlier this year had a 62 60 win over Groth.
GL Mirjana!

tennismaster8820
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Draw could have been better but she should win first round!
Step by step Mirjana!
Good luck! :bounce:

Sasja
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
GL Mirjana :) but I like Richel as well ;)

croat123
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
I think the draw is pretty good, beating players like this is the minimum if she wants to compete on the wta

Hele.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Difficult draw :(

ma re
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
I think the draw is pretty good, beating players like this is the minimum if she wants to compete on the wta

I agree. She is also seeded, so should do quite well in these qualies regardless of the draw. That's at least reasonable to expect.

mikireturns
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:09 AM
I also think we should be expecting Miki to play through these women, especially after what we have seen of her determination and ball-striking at Birmingham and Wimbledon, confidence-boosts and the whole lot.

Miki can compete with and beat any of these girls in qualifying and she can beat the MD players, too. Miki knows she can be in main draws, as well, playing against the Top 100 and better.

For me, anyhow, I don't want to think of qualifying players as ominous roadblocks for Miki anymore.

She should pound them aside and start thinking about how she is going to cut deeper into WTA Tour-level main draws. She has played herself into this level and needs to build on her fine results.

networthy
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:21 AM

I agree. She is also seeded, so should do quite well in these qualies regardless of the draw. That's at least reasonable to expect.

I agree with croat123 and ma re: if we're afraid for Mirjana of a draw like Hogenkamp, Palkina/Jovanovic and Woerle/Ani/Kremer/Laine, then Mirjana has no business playing in WTA tournaments and should go back to $25Ks. At the WTA level, even in qualies, there are very few easy matches.

ajmo!
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
I never said I was afraid, I just said who this girl beat and said she may not be easy as it seems, and wished Miki all the best. :p

croat123
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
Miki gets the first set 6-1
2 aces, 0 dfs, 67% first serves, no bps faced :) keep fighting Miki!!

croat123
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
oh god...complete meltdown
1-5
has barely won points on serve

croat123
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
So from 6-1 to 6-1 1-6 0-1* to 6-1 1-6 6-1 :p
lost serve four times in a row (and never faced bp outside of those four games)
it'll get better. first match on red clay in a year

Hele.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM

tennismaster8820
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Good win Mirjana!
It's great to see how she is able to get back on track after awful second set and win easily in third.
That is sign of confidance.
Hopefully she will not have to do that more often.
Good luck against Palkina probably who just won first set against Jovanovic! :bigclap:

mikireturns
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Yes, nice red clay win for Miki. Except for set 2, it would have been a blowout. I also think the third set is very much a sign of her renewed confidence. She feels "in control" of her game to pull it together after she goes off the rails like that. Very good sign.

Love her overall serve stats--57%. If she keeps serving just in the 50s alone, she'll keep going places.

ajmo!
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
not the best, but again there is no bad win so congrats. gl against, hopefuly palkina

ajmo!
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
not the best, but again there is no bad win so congrats. gl against, hopefully palkina

MLF
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Good to see Miki starting with a win :) This was actually an important match because her main focus this year was to play Wimbledon, so the danger was playing here could have been a bit of a mental letdown having made Wimbledon, so good to see she was disciplined enough to work for this win.

Sasja
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Mirjana :)

(but Richel :hug:)

ajmo!
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
It's Jovanovic. Pliskova's really out of form and Jovanovic plays like wall, hope Mirjana's gonna be patient! Ajmo!

croat123
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
i remember watching jovanovic vs. lisjak a year or two ago and she just pushed everything back. lisjak beat her pretty easily though, and i'm hoping miki does the same

Sasja
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
OOP Sunday

Court 2
Starting at 10:30
1. Heidi El Tabakh (CAN, 3) vs Ana Vrljic (CRO)
Not Before 12:00
2. Daria Jurak (CRO) vs Elena Bovina (RUS, 5)
Followed by
3. Ana Jovanovic (SRB) vs Mirjana Lucic (CRO, 8)

Sasja
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
GL Mirjana :)

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Nice win today Mirjana! Keep it going next match now!

mikireturns
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Jovanovic is indeed a pusher, and no great shakes on serve. If Miki stays focused and plays her big game with her renewed confidence, she can attack Jovanovic's serve and on her own serve open up the court with big drives and push her aside.

mikireturns
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Miki has lost the first set to this Serbian, Javanovic 5-7. Not acceptable. Let's see if she really wants to become a FORCE on the tour, again, next set.

Hele.
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
She won second set! 5-7 6-4 :unsure:

croat123
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM
she was up 5-2 in the second...can't buy a first serve :scared:

MLF
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Needs more first seves, missed a break point. Looks like a messy match but she's fighting.

Gaz.
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM
What is she doing ? :S

croat123
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:45 PM
down 1-3 in the third :sad: can't get a first serve in