PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana Lucic Comeback Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

tennismaster8820
May 26th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Date-Drum (:spit: :lol:) is really just a great example that such comebacks are possible and it must motivate Mirjana even more to try to do the same.
Good luck tomorow!

SERVivor
May 27th, 2010, 02:10 AM
All seeds were ousted in round 1 except Lucic and Lee-Waters. Rolle barely beat Hendler 7-6 in the third. Mirjana can clearly win this tournament.

networthy
May 27th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Mirjana and Rolle play the second match tomorrow on Court 1. Rolle had to go the distance to beat Hendler, 75 57 76(6) so she might be tired. Hopefully Mirjana can take advantage of it. It's not fair to Rolle but such is life...

croat123
May 27th, 2010, 04:33 AM
i was really hoping for a center court match :( oh well, good luck tomorrow!

WhatTheDeuce
May 27th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Boo @ Court 1.

Surely if she wins this one, everything after will be on Centre. :angel: Ajmo Miki!

ajmo!
May 27th, 2010, 05:53 AM
i'm now really afraid of this match. if she wins it then everything is open.

AaronJoyB
May 27th, 2010, 09:23 AM
i'm now really afraid of this match. if she wins it then everything is open.

When this drama will stop??? Omg! I'm afraid, I'm scared...stop!!

mikireturns
May 27th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Yes, Miki's matches always seem fraught with drama, or at least they did more than they do , lately. But, after Rolle, we still have to think about Puchkova, who could meet her and against whom she imploded after winning Jackson this year (admittedly tired from winning Jackson). BUT, I have every confidence that Miki is in a new frame of mind, and so longn as her smokin' drives are landing inside the lines as they have been, she will be even more dangerous on a slightly faster hard against these ladies. The evidence is there; Miki is on track and has her mojo back. But, yeah ... she still wracks the nerves out there.

Pebbles
May 27th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I am confident for the match with Rolle, I think Miki has been playing too well lately to lose here. Not going to jynx her, though :tape:

ajmo!
May 27th, 2010, 06:29 PM
When this drama will stop??? Omg! I'm afraid, I'm scared...stop!!

i only use emoticon :scared: and i use it when i'm nervous. and sorry cause i am. i didn't saw :nervous: emoticon so i'm usign this one for it. and i'm nervous cause i really like miki and want her to win
also in last few weeks i was nervous about few matches. against dubois, couts and now rolle. i didn't do that against duarte or anybody.
also i don't really like OMG so if i'm using it to much sorry.
next time i''l share my hopes for miki and my fear(that she could lose) with somebody who doesn't care about her at all. it make so much sense :wavey:
i guess i was stupid thinking that all of miki's fans are nervous when she plays on this challengers. (no livescore, streams-it's so much harder that way)
plus if you don't like somebody you can always block him/her.

AaronJoyB
May 27th, 2010, 08:30 PM
i only use emoticon :scared: and i use it when i'm nervous. and sorry cause i am. i didn't saw :nervous: emoticon so i'm usign this one for it. and i'm nervous cause i really like miki and want her to win
also in last few weeks i was nervous about few matches. against dubois, couts and now rolle. i didn't do that against duarte or anybody.
also i don't really like OMG so if i'm using it to much sorry.
next time i''l share my hopes for miki and my fear(that she could lose) with somebody who doesn't care about her at all. it make so much sense :wavey:
i guess i was stupid thinking that all of miki's fans are nervous when she plays on this challengers. (no livescore, streams-it's so much harder that way)
plus if you don't like somebody you can always block him/her.

Speachless...

ajmo!
May 27th, 2010, 08:35 PM
No, really it's such a big deal if I say I'm nervous? sorry, i wont do it never again

mikireturns
May 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I don't think it's a big deal at all to admit being nervous for Miki. I feel nerves for her, yes, even in these little matches, because they are not so little. Every one of them counts toward a young woman's future and her self-respect and for those who have always admired her, it is normal to be nervous. I have to admit, watching her play courtside is even worse! She is very emotional and the observer gets caught up in Miki's drama. But I think a little bit of drama is part of her appeal--Mirjana has personality out there. One can tell that she cares, deeply. Plus, she's supporting her whole family and they are supporting her. That being said, with her renewed confidence, she is keeping her emotions more in check. It was apparent in the Indian Harbour matches. Let's hope for her best.:cool:

WhatTheDeuce
May 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I agree, it's not a big deal. :o

When is she playing today?

AaronJoyB
May 27th, 2010, 09:31 PM
You totally misunderstanding me. Anyway... Match started 30 min ago

WhatTheDeuce
May 27th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Score?

MLF
May 27th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Simone tweeted that Miki retired injured against Rolle :( I hope it's just precautionary ahead of the grass court season.

WhatTheDeuce
May 27th, 2010, 10:33 PM
You've got to be kidding me. Ugh.

SERVivor
May 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM
that sucks

mikireturns
May 27th, 2010, 10:46 PM
That is really ... disturbing. She had a great draw with a clear path to win this 50K. And such a dominating performance in Round 1. I can't imagine she would just go all the way to California to throw a match for precautionary reasons. Let's hope the switch to (possibly rain slippery) hard courts did not twist an ankle or strain something. She must be injured. But what a blown opportunity, no matter how you look at it. On to England. I hope she makes the most of it. Opportunities like this one in Carson simply cannot be lightly thrown away, at this stage in her momentum.

croat123
May 27th, 2010, 11:04 PM
hope she can play next week in england :sad:
miki :hug:

networthy
May 28th, 2010, 01:28 AM
No, really it's such a big deal if I say I'm nervous? sorry, i wont do it never again

I wouldn't worry about it, Lucic fan :hug: You didn't do anything wrong.

mikireturns
May 28th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Oh MAN--Rolle was spanking Miki 6-0 3-0 when Miki retired. With a scoreline like that, I wish she would have retired before the first set was over. I wonder what was wrong with her, and when, exactly, she realized something was wrong. The first set bagel might have been a clue. Poor Mirjana. I hope she somehow heard she'd just gotten a wild-card to an event in the UK and needed to get there fast.

ajmo!
May 28th, 2010, 05:19 AM
:scared: now i'm scared that she's injured badly.. losing 6-0 3-0? :mad:
i'm afraid wimbledon is in question 'cause this doesn't look good at all. it would really be a tragedy after this hard work to get in qualies to be injured.
maybe drama again-but she got injured now, again, in great form. she always needs at least a month to get back on track. (e.g.losing to cako this year75 60 after beatign her 61 60 week earlier). hope she's gonna be able to play wimbledon :sad:
hope simone is gonna give us some new soon.
miki :hug:

Oh MAN-- Poor Mirjana. I hope she somehow heard she'd just gotten a wild-card to an event in the UK and needed to get there fast.
There is no WTA in England before end of RG so I don't see why she woud have to go there fast. And I guess than she would give a W/O and wouldn't retire at losing 06 03 :(

AaronJoyB
May 28th, 2010, 05:30 AM
She hurts her hamstring

ajmo!
May 28th, 2010, 05:34 AM
so a certain break is required. it's gonna be hard for her if she comes to wimbledon after few weeks break. anyway, get well soon. thanks for info

AaronJoyB
May 28th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Just to clarify, I didn't mean to offend u Lucic fan. I jsut said sometimes I feel too much drama..but anyones can do what they want.
Second thingh..further information on Miki will be posted on my Twitter or in her renewed blog.

Love you all, S

ajmo!
May 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Just to clarify, I didn't mean to offend u Lucic fan. I jsut said sometimes I feel too much drama..but anyones can do what they want.
Second thingh..further information on Miki will be posted on my Twitter or in her renewed blog.

Love you all, S

ok, i just explained my situation.
i already said, i really appreciate everything you do here.
and as it goes for drama. i guess i just didn't noticed what i am doing. usually don't like 'drama-people'. :wavey:

mikireturns
May 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
My hunch--and it is only an instinct, a mere opinion, was that Miki was having a really bad day out there because she has been playing A LOT, and her body and mind told her to stop, after beating-up Duarte and getting to the Top 200 again, and she just burned-out, physically and mentally against Rolle. That happens. Forget Carson. Wimbledon is vastly more important, and I expect Mirjana's mind is focused entirely upon Wimbledon, and we will see her there with her very best game and all the confidence she has rightfully earned this year!:D

coetzergambill
May 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
hope so. gl in your next tournament miki, wherever it is!

auntie janie
May 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM
My hunch--and it is only an instinct, a mere opinion, was that Miki was having a really bad day out there because she has been playing A LOT, and her body and mind told her to stop, after beating-up Duarte and getting to the Top 200 again, and she just burned-out, physically and mentally against Rolle. That happens. Forget Carson. Wimbledon is vastly more important, and I expect Mirjana's mind is focused entirely upon Wimbledon, and we will see her there with her very best game and all the confidence she has rightfully earned this year!:D

This is a lot to read into a hamstring injury, but enjoy yourself. :wavey:

mikireturns
May 31st, 2010, 02:22 AM
Yes, that is why I qualified my statement specifically as a "hunch". Perhaps not everyone who is a Miki fan is also a player. I am a 5.0 player, USTA rated, and I do think that only actual tennis competitors know the weird mindset of back-to-back tournament matches, most often. But not always. Please do keep that in mind.

Still, even as a rated recreational player, playing regularly in regional events, one runs into players who were crushed last week ... and who somehow get the uper hand this week because they remembered you and they found a new strategy, i.e. pushing pushing pushing, or drop-shots, or serving aggressively out wide, what have you. Obviously a rec player cannot ever ever project everything upon a pro, but a highly rated rec player certainly knows the ins and outs of regular competition at a very high level (California, not Idaho), and I would say this:

If my hamstring was seriously injured, I would not default a match after losing nine straight games. I would know that my hamstring was either pulled or not pulled, before the end of one very bad set. If my hamstring was hurt and I lost 6-0, I would clearly retire. I would not risk continued play unless I had lost the first set but still had a belief that I could rally and change things.

You would be stunned to realize how bleak things start to look at 0-6 and especially at 0-3 down in the second. It happens in competitive tennis, and only regular players (even regular weekend warrior players) would get this part of it. Good players know what I'm talking about, whihc is why I ventured the "hunch". Who knows. Perhaps Mirjana got spanked 6-0 and then lost the next three games of the second set and suddenly decided that her hamstring was indeed truly, clearly, completely, undeniably hurt.

There you go.

Instead I posit that Mirjana may simply have had a bad day, and I frankly underscore the point that only rated, regular quality match competitors could see the obvious, and even then, it is only a hunch, as I said from the beginning. :cool:

Mirjana's fans, I believe, will see her strong and sturdy at Roehampton.

I freakin' hope. 10-off-the-cut is pushing it, but she should get her chance. All the best to Mirjana on her journey. Always.

ajmo!
May 31st, 2010, 07:57 AM
Mirjana is actually 3rd alt. for Wimbledon qualies and WCs aren't still named. Once they give the WCs she'll be either in or 1st alt.

mikireturns
May 31st, 2010, 05:26 PM
That is great news, Lucic Fan, and thanks a million for the info. I hadn't checked the status of the Roehampton entries, so it does indeed look good for our girl.

Mirjana, if you read this fan-thread, pull out all the stops at Roehampton, because you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You have the talent. Believe. You've worked so hard, you are in great shape athletically, you have earned the right to compete with the best this year. Beat them all. It can happen in tennis. One match at a time, and crush them.

ajmo!
Jun 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have just found this interview with Hingis from 1997 (august)where she talks about Mirjana :) it's nice to read it

Q. Anger, maybe, that the younger players are coming in and kicking the old players out.

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, they can't stay up there forever. I mean, they also get older. You know, everything gets faster in women's tennis. Everyone is improving. You can see the changes in three months, half year, that everything, the girls, they get more athletic. Everyone wants to be on the top. Everyone is getting better.

Q. Have you noticed bad feelings about that? In particular?

MARTINA HINGIS: Me?

Q. Yes, from other people.

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, I'm one of the younger players, so I like it. No, I think it's great that you see new faces, as Mirjana Lucic is going to play tonight, or Venus won last night. I think it's very good.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about your relationship with Lucic?

MARTINA HINGIS: I practiced with her last year before the Open. We had great results. She won the junior competition, I'm in the first time semis. Now before the French Open also. I made the Finals, she made the Finals there in Strasbourg when she played very well against Steffi, just the whole tournament. I think she's even better than Kournikova and Williams. She has a very high potential of a game, when she starts playing more.

Q. I heard you had her over to your house?

MARTINA HINGIS: Yeah. She was at my house practicing.

Q. Did you guys do anything besides playing tennis? Did you take her out on the horses or anything?

MARTINA HINGIS: I don't think she would do that, but she was watching me (laughter).

Q. Would you consider playing doubles --

MARTINA HINGIS: We just went rollerblading, high up at the mountains.

Q. Would you consider playing doubles with her when she's on The Tour a bit more?

MARTINA HINGIS: Yeah. I'd love to when she will be able to play more. That's why I don't think the rules are great, you know, the youngsters can show she also can play tennis. They show the results and they can play well, so they should change the rules or something. Later on, I think we're going to play doubles together.

Q. How do you think she'll do against Jana tonight?

MARTINA HINGIS: It's hard to tell. For her, it's her first Grand Slam. She had two great rounds. I think she just wants to show everyone she can play tennis like she really does. I think that's going to be a really good match. It's hard to tell. You don't know, like mentally, it's not easy to play at night on centre court for the first time.

Q. Martina, does she come to you for advice at all? Would she ask your opinion on different things?

MARTINA HINGIS: About the other players?

Q. About anything?

MARTINA HINGIS: About anything? What? No, we're very good friends. We also practiced last Sunday together before the tournament started. Just when I can help her, I always do, because you always want to have a friend, be friendly with someone on The Tour.

Q. What would she ask you, like how to play a certain player or where to go shopping? She must look up to you for certain things?

MARTINA HINGIS: We would just talk about normal things. She has her own people here which can tell her where she has to go, what she has to do. I don't want to tell her, "You have to go there and there." That's not my business.

Q. Do you talk about boys together?

MARTINA HINGIS: Of course. That's one of the most important things, you know (laughter).

Q. About what boys do you talk?

MARTINA HINGIS: That's mine and her business.

ajmo!
Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
anyway, if she's ok and can play, i hope she's already in england cause birimngham qualies are starting in a few days :)

croat123
Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
8 out...I'd say 50/50 on making it. really unfortunate, the field has been weaker in the past

croat123
Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:02 PM
good news...that 8 out stat only reflect MD withdrawals...
i know telerault (spl) is out of the QD. no clue who else

Ballbasher
Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
I hope she will get in and is fine to play again. :scared:

mikireturns
Jun 3rd, 2010, 02:40 AM
Well, if she misses Wimbledon, she will surely qualify for the US Open, but I think she ought to stay in Europe and criss-cross the continent entering the many clay-court events that take place after Wimbledon. Let's face it; her game right now is hottest on clay, she feels most confident on it, and she needs to acculate points this summer, and now I am not so sure she can do that by playing a few USA WTA quallies, provided she can even get into those quallies. If she does a big swing through Europe after Wimbledon and accumulates points, getting that ranking up there, then plays US Open Quallies and does decently, she can potentially start the new year in 2011 playing WTA-level quallies and making that next move. I don't know. It all depends upon a solid strategy for those key points, and upon how much money Miki has to travel.

majoli_seles
Jun 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
hi ya guys
Just a quick post to say that if miki does play q at wimbledon I will be there so was seeing if there are any other londoners on here who wanna go to qualies together????? And also to say that if u wanna email me messages for miki I will print them off and give them to her! I am sure she would love the support!!!!!! Anyways my email is aussiereiich@yahoo.com

ajmo!
Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:11 AM
:yeah:
mikireturns, we'were talking about birmingham qualies, she'll be paly wimbledon if she wants and can.

ajmo!
Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Well, if she misses Wimbledon, she will surely qualify for the US Open, but I think she ought to stay in Europe and criss-cross the continent entering the many clay-court events that take place after Wimbledon. Let's face it; her game right now is hottest on clay, she feels most confident on it, and she needs to acculate points this summer, and now I am not so sure she can do that by playing a few USA WTA quallies, provided she can even get into those quallies. If she does a big swing through Europe after Wimbledon and accumulates points, getting that ranking up there, then plays US Open Quallies and does decently, she can potentially start the new year in 2011 playing WTA-level quallies and making that next move. I don't know. It all depends upon a solid strategy for those key points, and upon how much money Miki has to travel.

her game will always be best for grass. and she can earn a lot in wimbledon and also get big pints.

mikireturns
Jun 3rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Whew!:cool: I thought the situation had changed with Wimbledon, rather than Birmingham. I do have a suspicion that she will indeed be there at Roehampton. Just three wins and she's in the MD! It will be tough, but with the way she's been playing, her confidence, and her big flat strokes, she will be dangerous on the grass. If she can get into Birmingham and score a few wins, all the better for practice and her confidence. But Wimbledon quallies must certainly be her ultimate goal this year. I think, with the right bit of luck and perseverance, she can make it to the MD, based upon her play these last few months, and if she does that, then a few wins in the MD are not out of the question. Even so, after Wimbledon, it might be good for her to treat her body (and her game) to the clay challenger events on the Continent. Points points points! It might be easier for her to get around Europe, financially, than in the USA this summer, and the WTA-level events in the USA may not be kind in terms of Qually-draw depth. Then she can come back in time for the US Open, for which she will certainly be ranked high enough for qualifying-draw entry.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Really hope she gets into Birmingham. :hearts: And is healthy enough? I think that's my biggest concern actually. Something tells me that unless she's literally incapable of moving, she'll be at Wimbledon. Cause it's Wimbledon. Birmingham's a different story, she'll need to be ure of her health status to give it a go.

Is she even in?

EDIT: Oh, 8 out with only qually players left to withdraw. I doubt it... though I dunno.

croat123
Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
it's 8 out, but we don't have information as to withdrawals from the QD at all (since it was released)

edit: just read on simone's twitter that she won't play birmingham :( but it seems she is recovering quickly

ajmo!
Jun 4th, 2010, 12:16 AM
:sad: it would be really sad if she wouls have to miss wimbledon after all the hard work to get in. and she'll come there with no matches in some 20 days..anyway, hope she can at least play
also she's on list in one 25k in rome. really strong field, she is 3 out of md but will get in.
so if she's healthy wimbledon, (rome), cuneo are next i think

auntie janie
Jun 4th, 2010, 03:46 PM
just read on simone's twitter that she won't play birmingham :(
but it seems she is recovering quickly

Thank you! Always nice to read some good news immediately after reading some bad news. :D

ajmo!
Jun 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Thank you! Always nice to read some good news immediately after reading some bad news. :D

actually simone first posted good and day after bad, but ok :p

croat123
Jun 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
miki is effectively 1 spot out of wimbledon...there are two GBR girls in the Q draw who won't make the MD on their own rankings and they will almost certainly gets WCs

ajmo!
Jun 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
miki is effectively 1 spot out of wimbledon...there are two GBR girls in the Q draw who won't make the MD on their own rankings and they will almost certainly gets WCs

yup, there are also some speculations about dkic getting a wc which would mean that miki is in. hope so. cut off for last 3 slam was around 215-230..she really should make it.

Ballbasher
Jun 4th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Miki is into Birmingham Q. :shrug: Maybe Memoirs just didn't expect her to get in. :p Or she forgot to withdraw, as she thought, she wouldn't make it. :o

croat123
Jun 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
she made it :D:D plays 11am local time tomorrow vs. hlavackova
welcome back to the Tour Miki!!!! kick her ass :D

Hele.
Jun 4th, 2010, 08:22 PM
:bounce:

MLF
Jun 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I think Simone meant on Twitter that he had planned to come to England but couldn't make it over in the end. Good luck tomorrow Miki, Hlavackova is good but beatable.

ajmo!
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:29 AM
mirjana :bounce:
amazing suprise

mikireturns
Jun 5th, 2010, 02:02 AM
This is great news for many reasons--she was the last direct acceptance into the Birmingham quallies, too. She didn't need a wild card, 'cuz she earned a chance to fight on the main tour with her strong play the past 9 months. She now has the right to compete with the Top 200 on the international stage and has created for herself this second chance she's been waiting for.

Go out there and play like you have nothing to lose, Miki, because you really don't. Now you can say you've been through it all and know how to fight through anything. Play your big game and make the grass work for your awesome, flat, on-the-rise groundies!

majoli_seles
Jun 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM
first set in the bag 76 yeh baby lets do this!!!!!! If she gets through its a tough one against elni deneaduh (OMG can't spell it) she is also good on grass and has a good slice!

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM
C'mon Miki, win this 3rd set please!!!!

Hele.
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM
5-5 in third, 2 match points wasted :sad: but it is still not over!

Hele.
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:46 PM
7-6 3-6 7-5 :woohoo:
well done! :bounce:

ajmo!
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Amazing! 2 hours and 34 minutes.:eek:
Next is Daniilidou who found form out of nowhere and def. Rodionova 61 60. She likes to slice and Miki could be tired. :scared:
But fantsatic win today against TOP 150 player. :worship:

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Awesome win for Miki!!! Go get Eleni now who will be tough on this surface!

kfh_9118
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:51 PM
well done Miki, good luck against Daniilidou :angel:

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Just realized she was the last direct acceptance too! What a great opportunity for her - finally gets into a big event!!!!

Ballbasher
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Miki :yeah: :inlove: :D What an important win. :woohoo: But Daniilidou LOVES grass :scared:

croat123
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM
it over :D 7-5 in the third for miki!!!!!!!!

croat123
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:56 PM
daniilidou's last round score might be misleading...rodionova hates grass. she's only played one pro match on it (last year, got crush in the first round of a 25k) and she was never even able to win a match at junior wimbledon. that said, eleni will be rested and miki will probably be tired...as long as miki puts up a good fight i'll be happy

mikireturns
Jun 5th, 2010, 02:13 PM
THAT win has got to feel good for Mirjana--I'm sure she had some nerves in her first "earned" participation in a Tour-level event in awhile. The Greek Danilidou is tough on grass, but she is also very wobbly in terms of consistency. Miki can handle low slice (she played Graf so well back in the day on grass), but she must play within herself and move Danilidou around. No matter what, this is another moral and actual victory for Miki on her journey. Each match means so much and Wimbledon is around the corner.

AaronJoyB
Jun 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I have to ask u a big big favor!! Can someone post score on my twitter tomorrow??

croat123
Jun 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I don't know if I'll be up that early...it's at 6am my time :(

jela_dokic
Jun 5th, 2010, 07:38 PM
great win... keep going Miki... top 100 is near this year :)

SERVivor
Jun 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Awsome win. I need to keep up with this blog, I didn't even know she was playing this week. Good luck against Danliodou (spelling?)

croat123
Jun 5th, 2010, 07:44 PM
June 21: 25K Remo-2 out of MD
and she's not on the list for Boston...guess this means she'll try to play the post-Wimbledon WTA events :D

MLF
Jun 5th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Simone, I will be home from work about 15.30 UK time so if for any reason the match is still on or still to play due to bad weather or something I will keep you updated with scores. I'm sure if it is before then someone here will let you have scores especially after all the scores you have given us in the past.

networthy
Jun 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have to ask u a big big favor!! Can someone post score on my twitter tomorrow??

Unfortunately, play starts at 3 am my time :sad: Otherwise I'd be happy to do it :wavey:

croat123
Jun 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
the forecast is for rain till the afternoon. i'll probably be up around 8am my time (1pm local time) so if it's on, I'll keep you updated!

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM
June 21: 25K Remo-2 out of MD
and she's not on the list for Boston...guess this means she'll try to play the post-Wimbledon WTA events :D

Excellent news!!! Really happy to hear that and I hope you're right!

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 5th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Wow, amazing win! :banana:

One match at a time... Eleni will be tough.

SERVivor
Jun 6th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Eleni is good on grass but the truth is that she is far from the form she displayed a few years ago and has won very few mathces this season. Even last season, Eleni fell in qualifying for this tournament. I think she's very beatable now, even on grass

ajmo!
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:07 AM
6-2 6-2! :bounce:

First WTA MD after Auckland last year.There are some great places for Q in MD. Hope she gets one. :D

croat123
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM
MIKI :D:D:D:D I thought I woke up in time to follow her match and find she's already won :yeah:

shaky serving in the second set, but I'll take it :D

Hele.
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM
:bounce:

croat123
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM
VIDEOS (tomljanovic too)
http://www.dailymotion.com/gb/channel/sport/1

croat123
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdkht3_mirjana-lucic-vs-andrea-hlavacova-1_sport

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Wow, congrats, Miki! :woohoo:

croat123
Jun 6th, 2010, 12:38 PM
first MD she's made without a WC since USO 2002 :D hope she gets a good placement!

ajmo!
Jun 6th, 2010, 12:49 PM
first MD she's made without a WC since USO 2002 :D hope she gets a good placement!

and if she wins it's gonna be first wta win after 3 years :eek:

Kai
Jun 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM
congrats Miki :)

mikireturns
Jun 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM
BOOM!:devil:Miki wipes the court with Daniilidou in a strong grass performance; I had a feeling she might do well against the Greek. How cool. Miki had an unexpected opportunity to merely play in this WTA-level event and now she's in the MD of such an event on her own. Even her win in 07 at Indian Wells was by virtue of a wild card, and it was against a barely-ranked college player who was also a WC. Mirjana got to Birmingham on her own, and how proud we are to see her actually working on the WTA Tour again ... in a main draw! Mirjana has got to feel very good about her successful qualification and she will carry this kind of confidence to the MD (why shouldn't she?).

Great win, Miki. Keep going forward and focusing. You're earning it!

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 6th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Ajmo!!! That first qually match probably gave her tons of confidence. Another nice win. :hearts: MD now! Exciting to be a Miki fan :banana:

croat123
Jun 6th, 2010, 02:02 PM
that first match looked really tough...hlavackova looked like a big hitter from those videos

MLF
Jun 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Nice work in qualies from Miki :bounce: Why stop now? Hope she gets a decent draw.

ajmo!
Jun 6th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Mirjana will play D. Marino. Saw her match in Paris, she played like crap. But likes to return eveything, just keeping the ball in game. Considering it's a grass I think Miki can do it. GL!
Also R2 maybe against Sprem if they both win! omg :eek:

Ballbasher
Jun 6th, 2010, 05:14 PM
She took a set off MJMS on grass in '08. But I think it's still one of the best placements, so all the best to Mirjana! :)

mikireturns
Jun 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I was sort of hoping she would get Duarte-C from Colombia when I scanned the Q spots in the draw. I would not want to count this girl out, ever, but she is no grass-court expert and a passable if unremarkable baseliner. But Miki still needs to play her own big grass game and stay within herself, stay aggressive but controlled. Play her big on-the-rise game that is so well-rewarded on grass. I won't make a prediction, other than that Mirjana will go into the match with much-deserved confidence!

What a change from talking to her just over a year ago in Ft. Walton Beach, at that crappy tennis facility. She was sitting behind me scouting Begu, I believe it was, and I was mentioning her to a pal and she said, "That's me!" What a great girl. I was so stunned but didn't want to mention her past Wimbledon greatness in such humble surroundings, with other people in the stands who might look down on her plight, people who might not know the sometimes cruel fortunes of tennis "life" and say, "What is this girl doing HERE?". Instead, we had a friendly little chat and Mirjana was very calm and determined to say she was simply "going to give it a try".

She did. And she's still is. And now she's back in the WTA and set to play Wimbledon in a few weeks. Go Miki ... send the girl back to Colombia and throw everything you've got at her. Hit her hard. Nothing to lose.:D

croat123
Jun 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Marino has been struggling lately and grass is her worst surface. Still, Miki has to come into this match at 100%.
Can't believe the possible Sprem-Lucic match-up in the second round :eek:

networthy
Jun 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Of our two players in the qualies, I would have bet anything that Ajla, not Mirjana, would have made it into the MD--especially after their QR1 matches.

That said, I'm glad it was Mirjana since she needed it so much more. Good luck--you deserve this and so much more.

croat123
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:03 PM
anyone know if she is playing tomorrow??

networthy
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:30 PM
It's time to update Mirjana's rankings progress once again. With her latest win, she'll break into the 180s:

March 2008: 700s
April 2008: 600s
May 2008: 500s
July 2008: 400s
April 2009: 300s
November 2009: 260s
January 2010: 250s
February 2010: 240s
May 2010: 200s
June 2010: 180s :aparty:

SERVivor
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Scanning her 2010 record, it is readily apparent Marino prefers clay over any other surface. Her only non-clay result is a 2nd round Qualifying loss at Miami to Morita of Japan. She did beat Stepanie Dubois, a competent player, in the 1st round of Qualifying for Miami. On clay, she won the WTA tournament at Bogata, beating some top 70 players. She is curently ranked around 100. So, even though she may not be a grass expert, she is a solid, young player. Lucic will have the power edge, but Marino will likely make her work and get alot of balls back. Hopefully, Mirjana will be aggressive, yet keep the Unforced errors in check. I think this is a good opening draw match for Lucic. I think Sprem in round 2 would be a tougher opponent than Marino on grass, hopefully Mirjana can play her in round 2 so we can better gauge her grass form.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:58 AM
The videos :hearts:

I can still watch that ballstriking all day :rocker2:

networthy
Jun 7th, 2010, 05:33 AM
anyone know if she is playing tomorrow??

Yes, she plays the second match on Court 4. Monday's OOP is:

Court 4 (from 11.00 hrs)
1. Alberta Brianti vs. Bethanie Mattek-Sands
2. Mariana Duque Marino vs. Mirjana Lucic
3. Alison Riske vs. Sandra Zahlavova

So Disrespectful
Jun 7th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Duque Marino hasn't played many grasscourt matches, but the results she does have are pretty poor. She hits her forespin with a fair bit of spin and likes to play from behind the baseline, so I think Mirjana is in with a real chance here on this surface.

ma re
Jun 7th, 2010, 11:20 AM
This is ridiculous. If she hasn't improved significantly by now, I doubt she ever will. It's been over a year since her repeated comeback and she's yet to break into top400 (the last time that happend was back in 2004). Dokic made it back into top100, Sprem is well on her way back there, even Mamic (who can really play some pathetic tennis at times) is around 200 and Miki is still nowhere. Let me know when she gets back into top200 - if that ever happens.

Well, I wrote that on page 96 of this forum, some 14 months ago, and as promissed, I'm back since Mirjana finally broke into top200. At that point in time I honestly didn't think she'll ever come this far. Glad to see I was wrong, and that my comeback to the forum coincides with her comeback to tour-level play. I really hope this is the start of something great and that grasscourt season will change her career once more. This time with no ugly turnarounds, personal or otherwise.

Best of luck:wavey:

AaronJoyB
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:11 PM
she knocked our Duque Marino in 45 minutes! 61 62!!

how many points now?

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm going to say, that there is no one else who can burn through 15 games in 44 minutes with a top100 opponent. Really hope TBE puts up some video of this. What a win.
25 points this week (irony--she'd get 24 for two wins at a 50k+H, but I'm sure these points feel better anyway).
Looks like rain all day tomorrow, in which case she will probably play Thursday vs. Sprem/Barrois

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM
this puts her at about 183/4. however, just getting through a round of qualies at W could bump her into the low 170s/high 160s

MLF
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Well, I wrote that on page 96 of this forum, some 14 months ago, and as promissed, I'm back since Mirjana finally broke into top200.

Well it's always good to see people supporting Miki but most of us here stuck by her and supported and believed in her when she was down in the 700s. A true fan is there through thick and thin not just when things are looking good.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
she knocked our Duque Marino in 45 minutes! 61 62!!

how many points now?
:worship: :worship: :worship:

AJMO AJMO AJMO!!!! I love Karolina, but I'd want her to lose to Miki if they play. This is amazing! :D

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:20 PM
^^
it's just so hard not too, this is such a huge huge chance for miki

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
OMG! :eek:
i just camed home and was hoping to catch miki's match on scoreboard and now i see this? :eek:
amazing :bounce: :bounce: i'm so happy! bravo miki :worship:

Pebbles
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Mirjana :banana: I think this is the start of what will be a very rewarding grass season, if only it were longer :sobbing:

AaronJoyB
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Well it's always good to see people supporting Miki but most of us here stuck by her and supported and believed in her when she was down in the 700s. A true fan is there through thick and thin not just when things are looking good.

True! Too easy when you jump on a running train!

Hele.
Jun 7th, 2010, 02:19 PM
miki :bounce:

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
She rolled up Duque Marino and smoked her like a Cuban cigar. Finished her off like a cup of Colombian coffee! :cool:

This has been a superb effort for Mirjana, given everything she has struggled to achieve. As of this morning's new rankings, Miki is officially one of the world's 200 best female players again ... and rising, obviously, with this little run.

I was wondering if anyone else noted the stats on this match? Miki served at over 60% with NO double-faults (one ace) and dominated her first-serve, return points, the works. It appears that she took a little off the serve to maintain some consistency and it paid dividends in a big way. I would highly recommend that tactic in future explorations. Three cheers for that serving today.

I'm so happy for Miki and she has got to feel pretty awesome for herself, and deservedly so. She's in the locker room with the other WTA regulars, where she belongs. This specific kind of grass play at a regular WTA event, with quality wins, is worth gold. Pro tennis is such a confidence trick -- and there is absolutely no doubt that Miki has got some major confidence right now.

Keep fighting Miki. There's nothing to lose and you've earned this because you've worked for it and you have always had the talent. That talent will never leave you. You own it.

BTW, with this kind of tennis she can beat either Sprem or Barrois. But she'll need to keep fighting. Gonna be very interesting to see how a pumped-up and surface-confident Miki goes toe-to-toe.

Miki, keep fighting and moving forward!

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 7th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Is there any stream for Birmingham in the later rounds? I seem to remember there was in past years, but I might be mixing it up with another event...

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Some press from the Times of London after Mirjana's R1 win. Most of the short piece was about Sania Mirza's return after the controversial marriage, but the writer had this to say as well:

Croatia’s Mirjana Lucic, a Wimbledon semi-finalist in 1999, gave a glimpse of a talent that seemed to have been lost for good as she beat Mariana Duque Marino 6-1, 6-2.

Lucic walked away from tennis in 2003 after falling out with her father and the 28-year-old, who had been ranked as high as 32nd in the world, is only now beginning to rebuild her career.

SERVivor
Jun 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Great win! I believe Birmingham is live steamed. It,s just a question whether she can get on center court. The live streams of these smaller tournaments are almost always limited to center court. If she wins 2nd round, she most likely would play Rezai the 4th seed. That match would probably be on center.

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Live stream starts Friday (qf)

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hmm.. I doubt we wil see her playing cause she's in part with Karolina, Barrois and Rezai. All of them are great players but you never know. GL Miki!

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 7th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I say anything can happen on grass, especially if Miki has her serve :devil:

Oh dear, I have expectations. :sobbing:

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I'll just be happy if she puts up a solid fight...no reason she can't do that in the next round on this surface

ajmo!
Jun 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM
wta win-just what she needed before wimbledon qualies i have to add :D :worship:

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 06:01 PM
getting nervous about wimbledon
o'brien and cavaday will probably get MD WCs which would put Miki one out. we haven't gotten any news on withdrawals in about a week...

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
at the same time, she has such a strong case for a QWC if she is left one spot below the line...

networthy
Jun 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I'm still basking in the reflected glow of Mirjana's victory. Winning in 44 minutes against a player ranked in the top 100 as recently as last week. Wow.

61 62 in 44 minutes. How often are fully completed matches that short? That's less than three minutes per game. Wow.

mikireturns
Jun 7th, 2010, 07:31 PM
One thing is certain--the numbers from this match don't lie, particularly on her serve and return percentages. This was a Top 50 performance in terms of quality. She has proved to herself that she still has a world-class game on a WTA Tour-level stage, against a top 100 player. Great inner confirmation for Miki. If Miki can maintain her focus, keep playing within herself, and keep making the grass work for her big game, she could make the next match a real fight.

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM
shit, no MD WC for Cavaday so Miki is 2 out

AaronJoyB
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Miki said"I do feel that I was given a great ability and that it is still not too late to make something of it,"
i got it from MSNBC

AaronJoyB
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:40 PM
she is 1 out not 2

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
ok good :) she has to get in!
great quote btw, thanks simone!

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
she's in!
groth reported on her twitter that she is one out of the MD, which means sprem is in the md and lucic is in the qd!

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
she's in!
groth reported on her twitter that she is one out of the MD, which means sprem is in the md and lucic is in the qd!
Thanks Jarmila :banana:

tennismaster8820
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Who did withdraw? Maybe Lisicki?
Anyways great news! :banana:

croat123
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Peng OUT

mikireturns
Jun 8th, 2010, 02:40 AM
SO great that Miki will get a shot at the Wimby quallies, and she can go in with her head held high indeed.

Play your big grass game, Miki, and keep moving forward. You do have a special talent and it is certainly NOT too late. You are proving it everyday.

SERVivor
Jun 8th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Here is the full article where she's quoted

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/tennis/wires/06/07/3000.ap.ten.birmingham.0238/index.html

SERVivor
Jun 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Actually, this is the article I meant to attach.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gvUfANUQLfBYTeHfw1rx7ix7bUkQ

ajmo!
Jun 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Nice news :yeah:

Just Do It
Jun 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
:banana:

croat123
Jun 8th, 2010, 06:56 PM
she'll have an advantage as far as rest goes...sprem-barrois are suspended at 1-2 in the first set. just hope she was able to get in some practice time...

networthy
Jun 9th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Wednesday's OOP--Court 4 (from 11.00hrs)
1. Shenay Perry vs. Sara Errani
2. Karolina Sprem vs. Kristina Barrois (NB 12.00hrs)
3. Michelle Larcher de Brito vs. Olga Govortsova
4. Mirjana Lucic vs. [Karolina Sprem or Kristina Barrois]
5. Ditty/Savchuk vs. Chuang/Govortsova

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Anyone have links to recent/semi-recent pics of Mirjana?

Preferably good quality...

ma re
Jun 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Of course, it would be best if she'd play Sprem today, cause consistency is her problem, so even if she manages to beat Barrois, she'll probably fail to repeat that game in the next match. Sprem in her best form can beat just about anyone on grass, but that's distant history I'm afraid. Barrois has some pretty solid results this year (finals of Strasbourg, semis of a 100k...), she's almost at her career-high ranking (73/66), she's also tall and likes hardcourts so she's obviously very dangerous on grass. Last year Barrois made it to QF of 's-Hertogenbosch, beating Vesnina and Krajicek (before losing to Wickmayer), and lost in R1 of Wimbledon, but to Zheng in two tie-breaks.

All in all, a tough task ahead of Mirjana.

Just Do It
Jun 9th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Mirjana vs Karolina would be amazing :worship:

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:10 PM
It could be tough for Miki, but based upon her recent performances I think she can do some damage if she maintains her focus, keeps the serve steady as she did against Marino, and plays her scorching flat groundies right to-the-grass. Barrois and Sprem are in a tight contest, but Sprem's serve (though she's thrown in some aces) looks to be very attackable. Barrois can be outfoxed with the right blast of on-the-rise balls. If Miki is inspired, she can make this next match a fight.

Go, Miki--this is a new era for you. Every door is open if you kick it down! Throw everything you've got at these girls! Attack attack attack! Your hard work is there to back you up and so is your unique talent, which the others do not possess. Kick some ass!

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Oh ... third set for Sprem/Barrois. Sprem took set 2 in a tiebreak. This could be interesting in the next round for either of these girls against Miki. Arghhh! I wish we had live stream of the upcoming match. Sending best "tennis energy thoughts" possible to Miki ... and to Karolina (but only for her Barrois match)!

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:15 PM
You KNOW Miki is watching these girls battle it out from the sidelines! Look for weaknesses, Miki, they are everywhere.

ajmo!
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Sprem has a great serve when it's in so I don't know WTF are you talking about?
and looks like karo is next for miki. good luck mirjana

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Sprem up 3-0 now in the 3rd. :eek:

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:32 PM
My point was exactly that ... Karolina's serve is great when it's in. That's WTF I was talking about. She's been serving in the 40% range. Thus, the serve is indeed attackable. Of course, the same is true for Mirjana (!), so we'll see who can swing best in a few hours. I don't suppose they'll give the Sprem/Barrois winner an extra hour of so of rest because it's gone three; I don't think WTA rules leave room for that based upon rain delays after a schedule has been arranged, but we shall see.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:44 PM
LOL Sprem choking... 3-0 to 4-4

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Karolina is choking, but the amazing thing is that her first serve percentage has increased with each set (now at 57% ...up from 39% in set 1) and she's won more points this set ... apparently just not the RIGHT points.

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Karolina with 14 aces ... she is really keeping it together, somehow, despite the low percentage serving. Wow.

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Sprem it is. What a barn-burner. It will be interesting to see what she's got left, but a gutsy win for her, no matter what. Miki ... make her run?

Who are we kidding. The next match is going to be played at a mad pace.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I can't believe Lucic and Sprem are playing eachother. :lol: I wonder if they know eachother at all. Surely Karolina knows who Mirjana is...

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
She must know about La Lucic, indeed. She soon will, if she doesn't. What a match-up.

Miki, swing away, girl. WORK IT.

tennismaster8820
Jun 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I can't believe Lucic and Sprem are playing eachother. :lol: I wonder if they know eachother at all. Surely Karolina knows who Mirjana is...

Yeah! :lol:
I never thought they would play against each other ever! :lol:
Really shame we can't see it! :(

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I think they're gonna put Rezai on after MLDB's match :sobbing:

Don't know if they'll be able to play today...

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Rezai is playing now, so they could still get it in today. MLDB is, as usual, playing inconsistently, so her match will likely go to three sets.

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Damn! Rain delay. Looks like Miki will be waiting around another day. Then again, that's life on the grass when you're back on the WTA TOUR!

jela_dokic
Jun 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM
relax... she could play later today...or if not, early tomorrow... Good Luck Miki!!!you are doing great things :):)

croat123
Jun 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I just hope Miki has had some court time for practice these last few days. I'm not expecting any more play today. They have about four more hours of light, but the forecast is terrible. should be up first or second tomorrow given that rezai's match will be second if it is not finished today.
the forecast is better for tomorrow (friday is a mess :o )

ajmo!
Jun 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Simone's twitter:
An Incredible News is coming ......Guess What??

My guess: Wimbledon WC! :D :eek:

(if it stands for miki)

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Simone's twitter:

I think so too! http://i50.tinypic.com/685t14.png

networthy
Jun 9th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Simone's twitter:

(if it stands for miki)

I'd love to see her in the MD--and she deserves the WC, given her Wimbledon history and how much she's worked and improved over the past year--but I'd prefer that she get there through qualifying. My hope is that she plays qualies, gets a kind draw and wins at least her first match, earning 40 points.

ajmo!
Jun 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Well, I would like her to get MD trough qualies but if she gets MDWC I wont mind. Cause she'll be back playing Slam, in Wimbledon. And you never know what can happen in qualies. Also that would give her chance to play in Hertogenbosch if she's on list.

AaronJoyB
Jun 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Well, I would like her to get MD trough qualies but if she gets MDWC I wont mind. Cause she'll be back playing Slam, in Wimbledon. And you never know what can happen in qualies. Also that would give her chance to play in Hertogenbosch if she's on list.

its not about Mikice...i'm sorry:tape:

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2010, 06:37 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Oh well, quallies is still good. :p

ajmo!
Jun 9th, 2010, 06:56 PM

ok :)

croat123
Jun 9th, 2010, 06:57 PM
i rather see her in Q. no use getting an MDWC and facing someone like Venus in round 1. she has a solid chance at qualifying and getting some big points that way :)

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM
i rather see her in Q. no use getting an MDWC and facing someone like Venus in round 1.
OMG, tv for sure. http://i50.tinypic.com/685t14.png ;)

I wanna see her on ESPN!!! :D LOL. Getting so ahead of myself.

croat123
Jun 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM
if she makes the md, i'm pretty sure she'll get a tv court. W has always been really good about making sure the interesting players get on tv even in the early rounds

croat123
Jun 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM
first match on court 4 tomorrow...11am
winner to play rezai fourth up on court 3 (unless rodionova can do something awesome)

ajmo!
Jun 9th, 2010, 07:42 PM
hope she is gonna play at least r2 tomorrow. gl

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Like you other Miki-Freaks, I am feeling a little nervous about tomorrow's match-up. Of course, it's a combination of being very happy for her rise to the occasion at Birmingham (she could've indeed lost that match in R1 of qualifying) and also for the possibilities. She played so clean against Duque Marino--even if the Colombian wasn't too grass-court savvy, it was obvious from the stats that Miki was taking the initiative. Sprem is such a big server, but also very inconsistent these days. If Miki can draw upon her newfound confidence and get a high percentage of returns just back into the court, she could do something.

This is another footstep on the journey for Mirjana, and I hope she goes out there and gives it her best, knowing she has worked so hard and feeling justified in her hard work. As for the Wimby wild-card false alarm, I am 50-50. Part of me would have liked to see Mirjana get a good MD placement and maybe win a few rounds, possibly attract some SPONSORS to take some of the pressure off of her finances, but she also needs to keep gutting out these big-event qually matches, because those quallies are exactly what she will be facing for awhile until the ranking gets high enough for her to make MD cut-off on the WTA.

It's still too early to tell about anything except this: Mirjana did herself mighty proud just getting to this stage at Birmingham, getting some really good wins, some press, and some excellent grass-court prep for Roehampton. I feel like she's "back" and I want her to just keep fighting.

Miki, if you read these forums, all your fans believe in you. We may be a small group, but we are in it for the long-term. :hearts:

SERVivor
Jun 10th, 2010, 11:08 AM
The matchup with Sprem is just starting now.

SERVivor
Jun 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
More rain. Looked like Mirjana would get the break at 2-1 but Sprem fought off four break points. Looks ML is holding her own.

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Argh!!!!! Just woke up to see the current scores. Third set. FIGHT MIRJANA!

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 01:16 PM
On serve, third set. I really can't watch this. Little bits of score dribbling in on a cyber scoreboard. Why do we even play tennis or like watching our favorite players?

For this kind of drama, I guess.

ce
Jun 10th, 2010, 01:18 PM
ARD German tv is showing this match live, maybe they have a stream :sad:

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 01:37 PM
La La La La La La La. I'm Not Watching This.

SERVivor
Jun 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Tie Break Third Set

SERVivor
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Yes. Victory.

ajmo!
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I need few minutes.. This is one off the happiest days in my life. After being trough so much I think we can finally say: MIKI'S BACK!
And I know all off you are so happy, cause some of use were with her when she was playing in 25k qulies..and now she's back..
you deserved it all girl

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Damn right, Lucic Fan! Literally on the sidelines at 25K events across from crack-houses in the bad parts of town in crap cities in Florida. Now this. I am so proud of Miki for fighting through everything, and thrilled to be one of her fans.

majoli_seles
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
hell yes 76 in the third saved match point at 65 down 3es finally winning these really tight ones!!!!!! Starting to get excited!!!!!! Nearly had a heart attack watching the live score imagine being there!!!!!! Can't wait for roehampton!!!!!!

ajmo!
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
hell yes 76 in the third saved match point at 65 down 3es finally winning these really tight ones!!!!!! Starting to get excited!!!!!! Nearly had a heart attack watching the live score imagine being there!!!!!! Can't wait for roehampton!!!!!!

me 2, but it's easier when you are actually watching it..
i'm most nervous when following live scores..

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I am so glad she did not give up a few years ago, or even last year. I'll never forget watching her from the sidelines, being the only person who even knew who the hell she was in that shitty facility in Florida. Miki playing in the freezing cold, just to QUALIFY for a 25K. Not even in MD of the 25K. Miki practically had to wear mittens, it was so cold.

When she finally lost her R1 match to Nakamura, 6-2 6-4, she looked so dejected, but she stopped to say a few words after the match and you just wanted to give her a hug. I told her not to be discouraged, that she still had talent. She was so gracious and thanked me and my friends for coming out every day to cheer her on, but you could tell she was down.

Later that day at the tournament, some really old guy from Budapest was at also at the little event, and he knew a bit about Miki's past, and he told me it was useless to cheer for her, that she would "never get anywhere again." He laughed at her.

LOOK NOW, hairy old man! She has worked hard and found her way out of the darkness.

Ballbasher
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
ARD German tv is showing this match live, maybe they have a stream :sad:
wtf? :spit: They better didn't. :fiery: But it's not on their schedule and completely doesn't fit into their usual programme. :lol:

Miki!! :yeah: :D :inlove: All the best later against Rezai or Rodionova.

ajmo!
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hope she's helth is ok and she can play another match today after such a huge fight. GL Mirjana!
I guess she now finally feels like anything's possiblle again.

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Rain, Please!

SERVivor
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I agree. For some reason, it is more dramatic with the live scores. After she failed to serve out the match at 6-3 5-4 and proceeded to lose five games in a row, I admit I thought she may be done. But, she pulled it together. The when she got broken, at 4-3 I was skeptical again. But she hung tough at 4-5 and especially 5-6 match point down. When she made it to the tiebreaker I finally felt good, because I thought Sprem's second serve would let her down and that's what happened at the end. Sprem had over fifteen double faults. What drama. I guess it will never be boring watching Lucic.

AaronJoyB
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:30 PM
So glad that in the future iwill be not your livescores anymore!! you all deserve this JOY!!!! and Miki first!

:worship::worship::worship::):)

MLF
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Really pleased for Miki. This week was already really positive for her. Scraping into qualies at the last minute, making it to the main draw and winning a winnable first round was positive enough. I thought she might be able to beat Sprem but even if she did it would be pretty much a "bonus win" on top of her efforts this week. She must be feeling great right now.

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 02:32 PM
These kind of wins at this Tour-level event do wonders for confidence. Yes, she had her chances 5-4 in set 2, but on paper she was not supposed to win this at all. She was not supposed to even be this far. Not even be in England. And let us not forget that Karolina is trying to make it back, too. That Karolina is a talented player. She has been to the quarters of Wimbledon.

But today Miki dug deep and overcame nerves (and Sprem's talent) to WIN. A really really BIG match for her, but all of them seem to be such big matches, at this point, don't they?

Miki, your fans are nervous wrecks, but we knew you had it in you. How freaking cool that she is in the last 16 at Birmingham, with Roehampton coming next. She will make some rankings progress and attract some attention, here.

Miki! All your hard work is paying off. You ARE "back"!!!!!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Great effort today! So happy for her! Anyone know what her ranking will move up to after this?

ajmo!
Jun 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
around #180

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM
around #180

Wow, that's great!!!

auntie janie
Jun 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM
WOW! Miki!! :woohoo: I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to see all the hard work finally pay off. Fabulous win. :worship: :aparty: :kiss::kiss::kiss: :dance:

tennismaster8820
Jun 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
around #180

That is really amazing! :)
I kinda senced she would win this match, her mental strength is what got her through!
Hopefully in next match she will be able to put up a good fight!
Ajmo! :bigclap:

SERVivor
Jun 10th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Another rain delay is currently happening at Birmingham. Maybe, she won't have to play again until tomorrow. She could use the rest I'm sure. Tomorrow's forecast is for good weather all day.

ma re
Jun 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Talk about a great fight, and a well-deserved win, congratulations! I used to write all these "when was the last time she..." posts, but I really can't do them anymore, so if anyone's interested...:lol:

I honestly thought she wouldn't make it through this one, but Sprem's confidence is obviously still not at a 100% even after beating Barrois, and that was an important factor in this match.

Rain delay would certainly help now, but Rezai (let's face it, Rodionova doesen't really stand a chance) will probably be mission impossible at this stage, even if they play tomorrow. Still, this'll be a great match for Mirjana, not just to see how much she can against some of the very best, but also because even if she loses, she'll get something, and that's more time to rest. And at this point I really wouldn't like to see her overdoing it on court, straining herself or getting injured. After all, she's back at Wimbledon, after 7 long years!

All in all, give it your best in R3 Miki and let's see if it'll be good enough;)

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Is she gonna be playing Rezai today or tomorrow?

ajmo!
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I would say tommorow cause they should paly after Errani-Erakovic and they didn't even start yet.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:35 PM
MLDB match just ended, and there's also a doubles match that's about to end. All R2's have been completed.

I think Errani-Erakovic will be on one court, then Lucic-Rezai on the other.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
They're completely ignoring the order of play, just throwing matches on anywhere they can :haha:

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I hope she plays tomorrow, for obvious reasons of recovery.

In hindsight, I felt this would be a crucial "confidence match" for Mirjana--playing a fellow Croatian, the jolt of being in a Tour-Level main draw, having already gritted her way through quallies as a last-minute acceptance, etc. I did not expect her to win, but she did, and the fact that she could have served it out for a hypothetical 6-3 6-4 victory, along with her steadier service percentages, tells me that Miki is playing Top 75 tennis right now.

The rest is up to her and I don't rule anything out as far as she is concerned. We cannot rule anything out. Mikica, in my opinion, has already regained her dignity, even if she never wins another match. She can hold her head high forever, as far as pro tennis is concerned ... coming back from abuse and rankings in the 400s and two years of Challenger hell.

Now, everything is gravy, and I hope she fights with great joy and freedom.

You are FREE, Mikica. Free. Play onward.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Actually, I think it will be after the Sesil-Rybarikova match.

ajmo!
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I think after Wickmayer-Tanasugarn but we'll see

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I think after Wickmayer-Tanasugarn but we'll see
Is there another match that will go on after Sesil's then? Or do you just think they will give them more rest and wait?

ajmo!
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I think Errani-Erakovic will play after Karantcheva 'cause they finished their matches earlier.

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Man, I would love to see some footage of today's match. Photos. I'm sure we'll get some photos, at least, when the day is done and they do a press wrap-up.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I think Errani-Erakovic will play after Karantcheva 'cause they finished their matches earlier.
Good point.

Hele.
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:56 PM
well done miki :yeah:

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Seriously, beeatches, watch this in honor of Miki.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4CyNvEfWoE

"Oh, Miki, what a pity, you don't understand,
you take me by the heart when you take me by the hand.
Oh, Miki, you're so pretty, can't you understand?
It's girls like you, Miki, and what you do, Miki, do Miki ... don't break our hearts Miki!"

croat123
Jun 10th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Miki :D:D
There's some pros the playing today. The conditions are so weird, that I think Rezai is more likely to have an off day. Also, if Miki is able to take control of the match, the match is less likely to be suspended because of rain

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I'm not ruling anythng out with Mik right now. At the very least, the opportunity to play Rezai will be a good way for her to see how much game she bring-on against the so-called elite.

Frankly, if there was ever a good time for someone as hard-working as Miki to make a decent comeback on the WTA, this is IT. I believe in her and she is showing us what she's got to offer, and she's GOT GAME, and she's overcoming some serious hurdles.

That Challenger circuit alone is a mud-pit. She's fighting out of it. The great thing is that Miki can only improve once she gets some extra support from some sponsors (HELLO, SPONSORS! THIS IS ALREADY A COOL TENNIS "STORY" ...IT CAN GET EVEN BETTER!).

This is a girl whose amazing talent was beaten out of her, and now she has that talent back on her own terms, and Mirjana Lucic is already a hero to young athletes everywhere.

Keep fighting Miki. All your fans (who seem concentrated on this very forum) totally believe in you.

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I really am a bit stunned that she got this far. I have to say that. All credit to The Lady.

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Of course, Karatancheva is into the quarters (all glory to her), but she hasn't exactly moved mountains this year and, call me evil, but I don't like anyone stealing Miki's thunder. But kudos to Sesil. Lord knows she has been a one-woman drama. I wish her the best, too.

There's no way Miki is playing Rezai today, at this point. Right?

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM
^ They're on court. :p

SoClose
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Who is more powerful : Lucic or Rezai ?!?

SERVivor
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM
They are on center court, I can't believe there is no livestream

ajmo!
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I didn't wanted to say this but I'm gonna:
I don't understand some people. Now Miki got some new fans, the thing I on't understand is:
Why they didn't wanted to support her when she needed it the most, when she was struggling?
But it's ok. I want her to have a lot of fans so anyone is welcome, but I will always know who are her real fans.

SERVivor
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I meant court 1. Still too bad no livestream

croat123
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Great fight! not enough first serves when it mattered most, but 5 and 3 vs. Rezai is more than respectable. Good luck with the W draw. There are some very tough names in qualies this year... (Mattek :scared: )

Hele.
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM
:hug:

SERVivor
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Despite the 7-5 6-3 loss to Rezai, this was a great tournament for Lucic. If she keeps up this form, she should be able to qualify for Wimbledon.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Amazing week despite the loss to Rezai, and a more than respectable scoreline against a Top 20 opponent

Rock it at Wimbledon, Miki! :hearts:

croat123
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I want to point out that she's really cut down on the dfs. I remember some of her wta matches last year where she pretty much just gifted her opponents breaks. That really didn't happen this week and it's great to see and it'll be critical next week. No girl at Wimbledon can attack Miki's second serve like Rezai can and, if Miki can just stay away from dfs, she'll be very tough to break

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Who, exactly, are you criticizing, Lucic Fan? It's still a pretty small group of us, and I have been a fan of Miki since 1999, and went out to support her personally at the hell-hole she played in Florida, because I had already been her fan.

Just because someone has not known about this particlar forum from the start is not reason to critique or judge. There are many forums and many people; this is one of many.

Still, I know what you mean. Bring some "cred" onto this forum, hopefully. At least, know something about our Miki.

So, she lost to Rezai, but look at her stats ... Miki served at 44% (down over 20% from her last two matches) and she still kept it close.

It's a piece of crap that she had to play this match today after such a fight with Sprem, but she showed Rezai (and everyone) that she can go toe-to-toe, and she was tired, and she will be VERY interesting when it comes to Roehampton.

All kudos, Miki. GO AND BE FULL OF TRIUMPH THESE NEXT FEW WEEKS!

croat123
Jun 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
from the thread on GM:

This was a fun match, Rezai doing her usual bash-a-thon from the baseline and Mirjana throwing in the odd drop shot (first 4 worked, after the 5th didn't she stopped altogether). Really wasn't much in it at all, for example in the game to break in the second set Rezai got to 30-30 on a net cord then totally shanked in the return on the next point. Some quite brilliant winners from Lucic (which only me and one other guy bothered to clap :S ) but most of the time Rezai had more consistency at the back. Both played well, this could easily have gone to 3.

Pics to come, but I'm trying to remember some of the comedy stylings from Miki in the meantime :

*after pulling something wide of the doubles tramlines*
"What ... are ... you doing? You missed the court!"

*after spooning a forehand wide*
"But I hit the ball in the middle of the ffff..."

*after smacking a ball mid-net*
"What was that? ... That was the net!"

*after missing her first dropshot of the match*
"DAMN THE DROP SHOT!"
------
sounds like a great effort from miki :hearts:
with her serve stats from this tournament, if she can just serve at 60% matches like this would go the other way

Pebbles
Jun 10th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Very promising signs from Mirjana this week and the scoreline is very respectable, especially against a player like Rezai. It's a shame she had to play so soon after her R2 win but she still gave it her best shot and in the end, it sounds like she was a test for Aravane. Onwards and upwards from now :bounce:

jela_dokic
Jun 11th, 2010, 01:29 AM
great tournament Miki... you did it so well!!!

Come on and rock Wimbledon.... I know you can do it :):)

Love ya guys!...All miki fan are amazing...keep rocking this thread!!!

ma re
Jun 11th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Nice scoreline against Rezai, this experience of fighting a top player will surely help her in the matches to come!

mikireturns
Jun 11th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Yeah, Mirjana certainly carries on running conversations with herself when she is having a "moment" on court. The observer doesn't know whether to chuckle or what--Miki is definitely not laughing when she says this shit, I guarantee. But, she is very animated. Last year at Ft. Walton she really made the four or five of us in the "audience" laugh when she totally blew an "easy" forehand swing-volley:

"What KIND of idiot does THAT? Have you lost your MIND? HOW?"

Miki is full of verve ... never a dull moment, watching her compete, that is for sure.

I wish lovely Miki all the best for Roehampton. She is certainly "ready" on the grass, after this fine showing. Not going in cold.

Bust a move, Miki!:wavey:

ajmo!
Jun 11th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Who, exactly, are you criticizing, Lucic Fan? It's still a pretty small group of us, and I have been a fan of Miki since 1999, and went out to support her personally at the hell-hole she played in Florida, because I had already been her fan.

Just because someone has not known about this particlar forum from the start is not reason to critique or judge. There are many forums and many people; this is one of many.

Still, I know what you mean. Bring some "cred" onto this forum, hopefully. At least, know something about our Miki.

So, she lost to Rezai, but look at her stats ... Miki served at 44% (down over 20% from her last two matches) and she still kept it close.

It's a piece of crap that she had to play this match today after such a fight with Sprem, but she showed Rezai (and everyone) that she can go toe-to-toe, and she was tired, and she will be VERY interesting when it comes to Roehampton.

All kudos, Miki. GO AND BE FULL OF TRIUMPH THESE NEXT FEW WEEKS!

don't see whay you think i'm criticizing you.

croat123
Jun 11th, 2010, 02:55 PM
she's signed up for 25K Padova during the first week of Wimbledon and 100K Cueno (3rd alt, will get into qualies) for the second week.

mikireturns
Jun 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
don't see whay you think i'm criticizing you.

I don't think you were criticizing me. I misunderstood. Apologies.

In other news, I guess Alison Riske has ot be considered the "comeback story" of the tournament, instead of Miki. She knocked off Wickmayer. But Miki still did mighty well and, had she played Rezai after a reasonable break, I think she could have beaten her.

I wonder what will happen at Roehampton (but glad Miki has booked back-up events in Padova and Cuneo).

portos78
Jun 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM
When will Wimby Q draw be out?

croat123
Jun 11th, 2010, 05:43 PM
website says sunday, but last year it was out monday with play tuesday through thursday

ajmo!
Jun 11th, 2010, 05:45 PM
she's playing rome, not padova 25k (if she doesn't get wimbledon md)

croat123
Jun 11th, 2010, 05:45 PM
my mistake :p

ajmo!
Jun 12th, 2010, 07:56 PM
just found it, interview from last year:

"I'm doing the right things. I have surrounded myself with positive people. The hard part is being patient and waiting for those results, but I missed tennis like you can't imagine. I would kill to be at Wimbledon again and feel that energy on that stage.
"This is about me now and no one else. If I didn't love it so much, I would have stayed away and lived my life and been fine. But I am so happy to be back. I am loving tennis again.
"I am loving life again."

and she'll be back in wimbledon..3 matches in roehampton and big stage's yours honey..gl

networthy
Jun 12th, 2010, 09:12 PM
just found it, interview from last year:

"I'm doing the right things. I have surrounded myself with positive people. The hard part is being patient and waiting for those results, but I missed tennis like you can't imagine. I would kill to be at Wimbledon again and feel that energy on that stage.
"This is about me now and no one else. If I didn't love it so much, I would have stayed away and lived my life and been fine. But I am so happy to be back. I am loving tennis again.
"I am loving life again."

That's wonderful to hear, especially the last three sentences--and especially the very last one.

I'm happy for her as she appears to have finally left behind all the turmoil from her past.

SERVivor
Jun 12th, 2010, 11:42 PM
According to the Wimbledon website, qualifying draws will be done tomorrow, June 13. Play begins on Monday June 14. Not sure if men's and women's will begin Monday, or just men's.

portos78
Jun 13th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Oh my, there are lot of potential mines on qualiy list. I really hope that Lucic gets a good draw, at least for R1.

jasonbloom
Jun 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM
website says sunday, but last year it was out monday with play tuesday through thursday

I think Men QD should be out on sunday and wonmen QD should be out on Monday.

mikireturns
Jun 13th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I'll be excited for her, and also hoping for a navigable draw. Alison Riske, of course, nabbed a WC due to her semifinal run at Birmingham. Good for her. There's still one left to be given, but Miki is going to have to qualify, I expect.

Best of luck Miki--you've done so well to even put yourself back in this position to qualify!