PDA

View Full Version : San Diego

ZAK
Jul 15th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Tier I tournament starts Aug. 1. By the time Tati plays her first match she will have had 6 weeks to hopefully rest her ankles

2005 Confirmed Player List

Player World Ranking Country
Lindsay Davenport 1 USA
Maria Sharapova 2 Russia
Serena Williams 4 USA
Elena Dementieva 5 Russia
Svetlana Kuznetsova 6 Russia
Justine Henin-Hardene 7 Belgium
Nadia Petrova 8 Russia
Patty Schnyder 11 Switzerland
Vera Zvonareva 12 Russia
Kim Clijsters 13 Belgium
Mary Pierce 14 France
Elena Bovina 15 Russia
Elena Likhovtseva 17 Russia
Nathalie Dechy 18 France
Jelena Jankovic 19 Serbia and Montanegro
Tatiana Golovin 20 France
Francesca Schiavone 23 Italy
Shinobu Asagoe 24 Japan
Ai Sugiyama 25 Japan
Marion Bartoli 27 France
Gisela Dulko 29 Argentina
Chanda Rubin 29 USA
Amy Frazier 30 USA
Karolina Sprem 31 Croatia
Dinara Safina 32 Russia
Flavia Pennetta 34 Italy
Anna Chakvetadze 39 Russia
Evgenia Linetskaya 40 Russia
Klara Koukalova 41 Czech Republic
Anna-lena Groenefeld 42 Germany
Fabiola Zuluaga 45 Columbia
Lisa Raymond 46 USA
Shuai Peng 47 China
Dally Randriantefy 48 Madagascar
Marta Domachowska 49 Poland
Conchita Martinez 50 Spain
Samantha Stosur 51 Australia
Sesil Karatantcheva 52 Bulgaria
Mashona Washington 53 USA
Iveta Benesova 54 Czech Republic
Maria Kirilenko 55 Russia
Maria Vento-Kabchi 56 Venezuela
Paola Suarez 58 Argentina
Kveta Peschke 62 Czech Republic

Rankings as of 6/20/2005

yukon145
Jul 16th, 2005, 01:09 AM
good luck Tati! i hope she's healthy again. here's to a good draw too, its a very strong field.

selyoink
Jul 16th, 2005, 05:37 AM
I hope she can pick up a couple of quality wins.

am13
Jul 16th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Good luck Tati !!!

wurzelman
Jul 16th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Bonne Chance Tati. :yeah:

Craigy
Jul 17th, 2005, 12:37 AM
:woohoo:
Go Serena and Tati! :yeah:

Harju.
Jul 17th, 2005, 06:27 PM
here's hoping for a good draw. and hopefully her ankle is fully recovered. :)

ZAK
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:01 AM
The field keeps getting weaker and weaker, but I guess thats good for Tati. Here are the seeds as of the current withdrawls:

1. Davenport
2. Kuznetsova
3. Dementieva
4. Petrova
5. Schnyder
6. Pierce
7. Clijsters
8. Zvonareva
9. Likhovtseva
10. Bovina
11. Dechy
12. Jankovic
13. Golovin
14. Asagoe
15. Pennetta
16. Safina
----------------------
Next in for seeds:
Schiavone
Dulko
Bartoli

Like I said, its weaker than expected but I'm not complaining

yukon145
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:07 AM
how many get first round byes? is it top 8 or 4, or even top 16 because this is a small tier 1?

ZAK
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:16 AM
I believe it is the top 8, but I'll have t check on that. And I remebered that Henin-Hardenne isn't playing so I'll update the list

martirogi
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:57 AM
with davy injured this is a real chance for tati to do some damage and perhaps *gasp* win a title

selyoink
Jul 29th, 2005, 04:07 AM
with davy injured this is a real chance for tati to do some damage and perhaps *gasp* win a title

That would be incredible wouldn't it. I think Davenport will withdraw if not she probably will lose early unless she has a quick recovery.

Tati is in need of a big win though. Hasn't had one since Charleston.

yukon145
Jul 29th, 2005, 04:51 AM
i really hope Tati does well too, but some how im not expecting much because we dont know about her injury status and its a strong field.

yukon145
Jul 29th, 2005, 04:58 AM
i checked the draw from last year and it was only the top 8 seeds that got byes.

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 29th, 2005, 11:57 PM
with her luck she'll end up playing against either Lindsay or Kim in the 3rd... :tape: :p best of luck Tati!!!! :D

I'm really excited to have Tati again on the tour! :banana:

martirogi
Jul 30th, 2005, 12:05 AM
i think ur avy is the best ive ever seen :hearts:

ZAK
Jul 30th, 2005, 02:55 AM
(1)Davenport - Bye
Peng-Q
Q-Schiavone
Martinez-Safina(16)

(11)Jankovic-Frazier
Vento-Kabchi-Q
Granville-Domachowska
Bye-Clijsters(7)

(3)Dementieva-Bye
Craybas-Peschke
Q-Stosur
Spears-Asagoe(13)

(10)Dechy-Brandi
Dulko-Q
Groenfeld-Daniilidou
Bye-Pierce(6)

(5)Schynder-Bye
Peer-Randriantefy
Benesova-Zuluaga
Chakvetadze-Golovin(12)

(15)Pennetta-Q
Morigami-Matevzic
Q-Q
Bye-Petrova(4)

(8)Zvonareva-Bye
Washington-Sprem
Raymond-Bartoli
Karantcheva-Likhotseva(9)

(14)Hantuchova-Kirlienko
Sugiyama-Shaughnessy
Koukalova-Linetskaya
Bye-Kuznetsova(2)

rseto
Jul 30th, 2005, 05:00 AM
first, i just hope tati's fully healthy for this tournament.

second, another tough draw for her. chakvetadze definitely isn't an easy opponent in the 1st round. she has a good shot against either 2nd round opponent but schnyder is then next. i'm hoping she can get to the 3rd round.

if she beats schnyder, i think she can make the final though! before that, good luck in the 1st round tati!

selyoink
Jul 30th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Tough first round for Tati but I like her chances if she wins that one. I don't think Zuluaga or Benesova can trouble her. Schnyder should be tough but considering how much tennis she will have played in the past two weeks it could help a fresh Tati.

Here is hoping she does well.

yukon145
Jul 30th, 2005, 05:18 AM
i agree with both you guys on the last 2 responses. the first round will be tough, then hopfully to the 3rd round against a very in-form Patty.

Harju.
Jul 30th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Urgh, tough draw for tAti. If she wins, the first round, then second round is winnable.

wurzelman
Jul 31st, 2005, 12:30 AM
Hopefully she can repeat her Birmingham victory over Chakvetadze (when she had an injured ankle), and she should give Schnyder a good match.

yukon145
Jul 31st, 2005, 05:43 AM
hopfully if Tati gets to play Patty, Patty will be still pissed off about todays match against Venus that she should have won. i felt bad for Patty, i was pissed too (and because i hate Venus alot)

selyoink
Jul 31st, 2005, 06:35 AM
Yeah I also felt bad for Patty. She deserved to win the match. As soon as she got broken you knew it was over. I hope Tati can take her down if they play each other.

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 31st, 2005, 11:39 PM
With Lindsay's withdrawal the draw is pretty good for Tati now, Putty has been moved and now Tati's rival in the 3rd will be Likhovtseva :bounce::bounce::bounce:

and more good news, Tati will also be playing doubles with Elena Dementieva. Team Golontieva play a WC team in the first round and Likhovtseva/Zvonareva(2) in the second rd. :)

wurzelman
Jul 31st, 2005, 11:56 PM
With Lindsay's withdrawal the draw is pretty good for Tati now, Putty has been moved and now Tati's rival in the 3rd will be Likhovtseva :bounce::bounce::bounce:

and more good news, Tati will also be playing doubles with Elena Dementieva. Team Golontieva play a WC team in the first round and Likhovtseva/Zvonareva(2) in the second rd. :)

cool

rseto
Jul 31st, 2005, 11:57 PM
the draw got better but likhovtseva has played pretty well this year too. but tati still has to win her first match to benefit from the rest of the draw.

and she better win that 1st round doubles match! :)

martirogi
Aug 1st, 2005, 12:44 AM
devastated patty would be an easier match than likhovtseva

selyoink
Aug 1st, 2005, 03:49 AM
I'm glad she has Likhovtseva now. I think that is an easier match for Tati even if Patty is probably distraught after her loss to Venus.

ZAK
Aug 1st, 2005, 03:54 AM
Tati is first on Stadium court tomorrow Good luck :hearts:

yukon145
Aug 1st, 2005, 04:55 AM
lets wait for Tati to get out of the first round before we talk about round 3. its good to see Tati playing doubles, it probally means that her ankle is fully healed.

selyoink
Aug 1st, 2005, 05:18 AM
I will be following her match live tomorrow. I hope she gets off to a good start.

rseto
Aug 1st, 2005, 11:44 AM
well, 1st match on monday. i guess we'll soon find out what type of form she's in. i also hope she can start the match strong. good luck tati!

selyoink
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:05 PM
Tati is half way to crashing out in the first round. She lost first set 6-4.

ZAK
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:22 PM
Fight Tati!

HTE
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:48 PM
All over for Tati, almost before it began :sad: 4-6, 4-6 :(
Sad loss, but as long as her injury is completely healed, she'll be back in top form soon :)

selyoink
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:49 PM
Tati's nightmare season continued today with a miserable 6-4, 6-4 loss to Chakvetadze.

Tati has seemingly lost her game. Her ranking just keeps falling.

HTE
Aug 1st, 2005, 07:55 PM
Nightmare season is kinda harsh don't you think? Yes she has fallen a few places in the rankings, but mostly due to her injury.

ZAK
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:18 PM
I'd say its been a nightmare since May. She's now lost first match in four of her last six tournaments, and in San Diego she had a really good opportunity

beauty_is_pink
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Tati.. :shrug:
do better in Toronto! Can't wait to see yaaa

selyoink
Aug 1st, 2005, 09:43 PM
Nightmare season is kinda harsh don't you think? Yes she has fallen a few places in the rankings, but mostly due to her injury.

I say it is a nightmare season because of her poor results in the grand slams and since Charleston. The only slam result she improved upon was the French Open and she did significantly worse at Aussie and Wimbledon.

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 1st, 2005, 10:08 PM
kinda expected this after such a long lay off from the tour and still not having a coach to teach her... :help: Unless she finally finds a good coach, these type of results will repeat week after week :retard:

better luck next week Tati :)

martirogi
Aug 1st, 2005, 10:27 PM
:shout: tatiana what the hell are you doing. :mad: :smash: :smash:

fix it soon. like with a coach or some crazy thing like that.

yukon145
Aug 1st, 2005, 11:41 PM
this sucks. please Tati get a full time coach!

wurzelman
Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:23 AM
Taxi for Tati :fiery: well actually she just needs a coach. I was really shocked with the result despite the lengthy lay off. Hopefully she'll do OK in the doubles to get some practice in before Toronto. Her confidence must be very low as well. :sad:

rseto
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:24 AM
well the result was not surprising but it still sucks! anna also hadn't played since wimbledon so i'm not sure if the long layoff was a factor. the only question i have is when tati started practicing again after her injury but i don't think any one of us knows that.

for me, this has been more like two seasons. from the beginning of the year to april, i thought that she could beat anybody below the top 10. now i don't consider her the favorite against anybody in the top 50. and she's losing points compared to last year. so these past 3-4 months are sorta nightmarish. i'm hoping this is temporary but i also wonder if opponents are figuring out how to play her better.

i hope she and elena can advance in doubles just to give her more match play and hopefully some confidence.

ZAK
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:30 AM
Its not opponents figuring out how to play her, because she were playing well that wouldn't matter. I think its the injury affecting her mentality and confidence; once she wins another match I think she'll start to gain confidence and get back on track.

Tati and Elena should kill the WC team they play first round, I guess that could give Tati some confidence

rseto
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:41 AM
true but there is such a thing as a sophomore slump when other players learn about her game and her patterns. but this is women's tennis and maybe i'm giving too much credit to scouting. :)

anyways, i do hope this is more injury related but it's been a while since she got injured. at least the AP story said that it was an evenly played matched FWIW.

andrewbroad
Aug 2nd, 2005, 02:35 AM
Tati's nightmare season continued today with a miserable 6-4, 6-4 loss to Chakvetadze.

A nightmare-season that includes a victory over Venus Williams! :)

Tatiana's ankle-injury was unfortunate, and occurred at the worst possible time of year (especially from my perspective, as an Englishman who was hoping to be very impressed by her at Birmingham (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/birmingham2005.html) and Wimbledon). But if she can put that behind her, I think she has a bright future ahead of her.

A nice win for Anna Chakvetadze too. She's adorable! ;)

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)

yukon145
Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:33 AM
Tati has done very well for only being 17. i think this is part of the sophomore slump as mentioned. i think Tati is starting to feel the pressure to win, like she should be winning. Tati even said in an interview before Wimbledon last year she would be happy to win a round or two and this year she feels like she should be winning them.

hopfully Tati can have a solid rest of the year, and even better years to come in the future. i mean shes top 25 in the world at 17, lets not write her off yet. ;)

yukon145
Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:42 AM
this is from the AP:

Chakvetadze pulled out an evenly played match in which she scored just six points more than Golovin.

at least it was close. it could have be 6-0, 6-0

rseto
Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:46 AM
this is from the AP:

Chakvetadze pulled out an evenly played match in which she scored just six points more than Golovin.

at least it was close. it could have be 6-0, 6-0

good! somebody's looking at the bright side! ;)

selyoink
Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:06 AM
I also agree that Tati needs a coach. She is too young to be able to coach herself and she is not Roger Federer.

yukon145
Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:14 AM
I also agree that Tati needs a coach. She is too young to be able to coach herself and she is not Roger Federer.

agreed. i don't know who the hell is telling her that she doens't need a coach, or why she would even think that. it makes no sense what so ever.

Harju.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:57 PM
People, are we getting waaay too pessimist about this result. Let's face this, tati has a losing records against young players. FACT. Her opponent is not like 509683854567th ranked player. In fact, she's one of the promosing ones. FACT. This is tati's first tournament after Wimbledon and the ankle injury. FACT. She is without a coach. FACT. She is still 17. Masha's FACT.

ZAK
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:01 AM
Tati and Elena will play a night match tomorrow on Stadium court, that should be fun for Tati :)

Just some information on their WC opponents:

Biffy Kaufman: singles- #730; got a qualifying WC into San Diego and lost 6-0 6-0 to Marissa Irvin
doubles- #571; has had some good runs at 10k events

Lindsey Nelson: singes- unranked; put up a good fight in San Diego qualifying taking Shika Uberoi to three sets
doubles- unranked; has won only won professional doubles match, and in came in the qualifying of a 50k in 2003

So I hope Tati wins :tape:

martirogi
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:04 AM
nope they'll lose

HTE
Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:15 AM
Tati and Elena will play a night match tomorrow on Stadium court, that should be fun for Tati :)

Just some information on their WC opponents:

Biffy Kaufman: singles- #730; got a qualifying WC into San Diego and lost 6-0 6-0 to Marissa Irvin
doubles- #571; has had some good runs at 10k events

Lindsey Nelson: singes- unranked; put up a good fight in San Diego qualifying taking Shika Uberoi to three sets
doubles- unranked; has won only won professional doubles match, and in came in the qualifying of a 50k in 2003

So I hope Tati wins :tape:

Yeah if Tati and Elena don't win this one, they should stop playing doubles :lol:

ZAK
Aug 4th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Tati won her doubles match 3-6 7-5 6-3 :o Thank god they came through that one

Likhovtseva/Zvonareva is up in the next round

rseto
Aug 4th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Yeah if Tati and Elena don't win this one, they should stop playing doubles :lol:

they almost had to! :lol:

they better play better against vera and likhovtseva or it's going to get ugly.

HTE
Aug 4th, 2005, 10:25 AM
they almost had to! :lol:

they better play better against vera and likhovtseva or it's going to get ugly.

at least they won ;)

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Tati & Mrs. Double Faults :scared:

selyoink
Aug 4th, 2005, 03:30 PM
While I'm glad they won last night I don't see much hope of them beating Likhovtseva and Zvonareva.

yukon145
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Tati and Lena are down 0-6, 0-2*. i hope they win a game soon!

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:55 PM
lol they just won a game :):worship::p

tennisrulz8
Aug 5th, 2005, 12:38 AM
they're in a tie break right now!

tennisrulz8
Aug 5th, 2005, 12:40 AM
well now they lost

rseto
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:10 AM
the final score was 6-0 7-6 (5), i think. at least they made the 2nd set competitive.

ZAK
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Pretty good performance, had they been awake for the first set they may have had a shot at winning. I hope they play together again at some point

selyoink
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Despite getting bagelled in the first it was closer than I was expecting. I didn't expect them to have a chance at winning either set. Wish they had been able to pull through but oh well.