PDA

View Full Version : Pierce ecstatic about Acura Classic honor

ashwu
Jul 12th, 2005, 10:39 PM
By Jerry Magee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 12, 2005

Mary Pierce is to be presented the event's "Loyalty Award" during the Acura Classic for her longtime association with a tournament beginning July 31 at the La Costa Resort and Spa.

From Aix en Provence, France, where she was representing France in its semifinal Fed Cup match against Spain, Pierce said being named the award's winner has a special significance for her.

"It's not just for my forehand and backhand but for me as a person," she said. "I just love this tournament. The venue. The resort. The weather. Everything there. It's fantastic."

The award was instituted in 1998 with Nathalie Tauziat the first winner. Subsequent winners have been Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, Venus Williams, Conchita Martinez and Lindsay Davenport, the defending champion in the $1.3 million event.

Pierce, 30, is experiencing her most rewarding season since 2000, when she was ranked No. 7 on the WTA Tour. She's currently No. 13, but was a finalist in the French Open, losing to Justine Henin-Hardenne, and a quarterfinalist at Wimbledon, where she held five set points in the second set before surrendering to eventual champion Venus Williams.

"I have thought about it," Pierce said of how close she came to extending Williams to a third set, "but I'm not into woulda-coulda-shoulda. Everything happens for a reason in the big scheme of things. But I'm very happy with my game. I think I'm a better player than I've ever been because of my experience and knowing the game. I really feel my best tennis is ahead of me." Pierce, winner of the 1995 Australian Open and the 2000 French Open, has won 16 WTA Tour events. Her best finish at La Costa was in 1998, when she lost in the final to Davenport.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20050712-9999-lz1s12pierce.html

ashwu
Jul 12th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Mary Pierce likely to play in Kolkata WTA tourney
Saturday July 9 2005 00:00 IST
IANS

KOLKATA: Wimbledon mixed doubles champion Mary Pierce could feature at a WTA women's tennis event scheduled here for September.

"If she does not suffer any injury in the US Open she would come to play in the WTA event here," former Davis Cup captain and one of the organisers Jaideep Mukherjea said here on Friday.

"As of now, she has expressed her willingness to play here. But we are not sure. It can only happen if she does not sustain any injury," Mukherjea said.

Pierce, who is making a comeback after a prolonged injury-caused layoff, had won the Wimbledon title in partnership with Mahesh Bhupati late last month. Bhupati's GloboSport is among the organisers of the Kolkata event.

Mahesh hopes to partner Pierce at the US Open tennis tournament that begins on August 29.

http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems.asp?ID=IES20050708113517&Topic=0&Title=Sports&Page=

Mark Spruce
Jul 12th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Hello Ash,

I am so happy for Mary !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done her !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Lu_Weird
Jul 13th, 2005, 03:47 AM
I am glad :)

Scotso
Jul 13th, 2005, 04:37 AM
She was ranked #3 in 2000 :fiery:

saby
Jul 13th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Yes i'm happy to know Mary and Mahesh will play again together

melissatorresfan, Is it a question or affirmation? (yes she was)

Mark Spruce
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Oh that is great I hope that they will do well there again in the US Open.

Mark

stenen
Jul 13th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I'm so happy for Mary! So nice to see wonderful things happening to her.

rsunderji
Jul 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM
great news!

Wizzy Maryfan
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Hmm not sure Mary will play Kolkata !

She will have to play fed cup on clay and Kolkata is just after ... and it's an indoor tournament !

But after all, why not ... she would be the number one seeded (the one the organistors will wanna see as the winner :cool: ) and would have a by so she coul play the thursday ... that's not impossible but i've doubts !

Then, if she wanna play the Masters, she needs to play more u know because players like Petrova or Schnyder play a lot of tournaments, and that's why they are in the top 8 (and it's a shame i think !) in the race !

Then, nice to see that she loves San Diego at this point, it means that Mary will try to do everything to be at her best in this tournament ...
I hope i'll see her more on tv, now that she's one of the actual best :hearts:

DomenicDemaria
Jul 14th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Where is Kolkata?

Wizzy Maryfan
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Where is Kolkata?

in Indian ...

Mahesh is Indian, they want to play another tournament, mary wanna play a little tournament in india to promote tennis there ...

Hmm, mahesh and Mary ... only on court ? :angel:

saby
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Hmm, mahesh and Mary ... only on court ? :angel:

:angel: Is it a gossip or just a thought :angel:

MistyGrey
Jul 15th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Mahesh is married. Besides I think Mary is too good for Mahesh!

Mark Spruce
Jul 15th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I do not think that, if Mahesh was not married I think, that he and Mary would be good. He seems such a nice person and caring, and that is what Mary needs.

Well I hope that one day Mary can find happiness with her prince

Mark

vanillalatte
Jul 15th, 2005, 01:59 PM
i don't think, that mary and mahesh would be together if, mahesh wasn't married .. it just seems like they're good friends and like each other..

i hope so much, that she's finding her "true love" in the future! ;)
good luck, mary..

Lu_Weird
Jul 16th, 2005, 02:55 AM
complicated question....don't know how to answear about Mary and Mahesh.

mamno_MARYFAN
Jul 17th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Great news...Mary's getting so much support and also success lately...things are only going to get better for her...:angel:

GO MARY!!!:angel:

Andy.
Jul 17th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Im really Happy for Mary she really deserves this type of recognition.

Declan
Jul 17th, 2005, 07:04 PM
She was ranked #3 in 2000 :fiery:

Yes, she was No.3 after Roland Garros, and still number 4 after Wimbledon and at the US Open. But as she didn't play thereafter (and had missed the whole summer season) she was unable to defend any of her summer or autumn (fall) points from 1999, so she was actually ranked No.7 at the end of the year.

mauresmofan
Jul 24th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Ever since Maam got rid of those pesky sponsors she's been on a roll - maybe they should have offered her a little more money. I'd love to see Maam wear something a little sexier - like that outfit she wore at Wimby 96 where she looked like a naughty nurse!

mamno_MARYFAN
Jul 25th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Yeah...an outfit that's more sizzling would be nice...;)

But then again...Mary simply looks good in whatever she wear...doesn't really matter that much to me...:angel:

Mark Spruce
Jul 25th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Naught nurse I like that LOL

What ever Mary wears will be great, and esecially her own design !!!!!!!!

Mark

ashwu
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:23 PM
i remember that one :)
they kept talking about what will happen if she hits a really high overhead :P