PDA

View Full Version : Nastya´s most exciting matches - an honorable list;)

Spunky83
Jul 5th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I was thinking when Sportinglife named Nastya´s match vs. Jankovic as the best women´s match at Wimby this year that there have been a lot of serious nail-biter contested by Nastya in the past.

So I thought of making a list which includes Nastya most exciting, dramatic (good or bad) matches...matches which made you scream at your poor television, throwing stuff at your television and which made you happy/or sad even days after it (I guess Wimby´05 was a real goody concerning this question).

Please add matches in case I forgot some (esp. older ones)

2005 Wimbledon def. BOHMOVA, KATERINA CZE (1st round) 5-7 7-6(4) 6-4
2005 Wimbledon def. JANKOVIC, JELENA SCG (3rd round) 6-0 5-7 10-8
2005 Wimbledon def. DEMENTIEVA, ELENA RUS (4th round) 1-6 7-6(9) 7-5

2004 YEC losing to WILLIAMS, SERENA USA (RR) 4-6 6-3 6-4
2004 Kremlin Cup def. ZVONAREVA, VERA RUS (QF) 4-6 6-0 7-5
2004 Olympics losing to HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL (SF) 7-5 5-7 8-6
2004 Montreal losing to LIKHOVTSEVA, ELENA RUS (SF) 6-3 5-7 6-4
2004 San Diego def. ZVONAREVA, VERA RUS (SF) 6-2 6-7(4) 7-6(15)
2004 French Open def. KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS (4th) 1-6 6-4 8-6
2004 Doha def. KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS (F) 4-6 6-4 6-4
2004 Australian Open def. RUBIN, CHANDA RENEE USA (4th) 6-7(3) 6-2 6-2 :lol:

2003 Fed Cup SF def. Mary Pierce 4-6 7-6(2) 7-5
2003 YEC losing to HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL (RR) 7-5 5-7 7-5
2003 Philly def. PETROVA, NADIA RUS (SF) 6-4 4-6 7-5
2003 Leipzig def. HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL (F) 3-6 6-3 6-3

2002 Leipzig def. CLIJSTERS, KIM BEL (SF) 6-4 5-7 7-6(3)
2002 Fed Cup Round 1 def. MULLER, MARTINA GER 7-6(5) 6-7(4) 11-9

---------

To be continued;)

Next x-mas, I wanna have all those matches on DVD :eek:

miffedmax
Jul 5th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Well, at least Nastya beats Kuzzy (which is good) as often as she beats Lena D. (which is bad, but not as bad as when Kuzzy beats Lena D.).

Frozen snacks all around.

_LuCaS_
Jul 5th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I actually scream and throw stuff at almost every loss of hers :mad:

You should add in that list (saving MPs or having MPs where possible)

Derek.
Jul 5th, 2005, 07:36 PM
That match with Zvonareva was incredible. :worship:

I also liked the win over Jankovic a week or so ago. :) Even though I was nutcase through the whole thing. :o ;)

Spunky83
Jul 5th, 2005, 09:12 PM
That match with Zvonareva was incredible. :worship:

I also liked the win over Jankovic a week or so ago. :) Even though I was nutcase through the whole thing. :o ;)

Hehe...that Jankovic match was just a real torture! I was following the livescores through the teletext on eurosport first but when Nastya out of a sudden started to come back after having been 1-5 down, I switched on my brother´s notebook to follow the match point-by-point and I was literally going nuts in front of that. My mum came home and just asked my brother, what the hell was going on with his sister :lol: ...then our stupid local Wimby broadcasting channel finally showed that match live and me and family sat down and watched it. My whole family is quite into tennis so it was pretty funny. My father teased me and cheered like an idiot everytime Nastya won a point. I was like "Papa...shut up!, my mum just laughed and asked him to be quiet. My brother was laughing about the fact that Nastya didn´t manage to convert all those breakpoints. It was really a nice and freaky experience...I will never watch a match of Nastya again with my whole family :eek:

martirogi
Jul 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM
my mom came into the room while i was watching livescoring for the jankovic match. it went something like this:

mom: who's winning wimbledon.
me: a bunch of people
mom: who's first in the standings
me: :speakles: :cuckoo:
mom: how's your favorite doing? maria something right?
me: i dont like her
mom: o you know maria sharbabov or whatever. you went to her exhibitioin. she's your favorite.
me: :mad: :fiery: :smash:

Spunky83
Jul 5th, 2005, 11:29 PM
my mom came into the room while i was watching livescoring for the jankovic match. it went something like this:

mom: o you know maria sharbabov or whatever. you went to her exhibitioin. she's your favorite.

:lol: great "discussion"

No, you know...my father used to be one of those fans who would wake up in the middle of the night to watch a Boris Davis Cup match which lasted like five hours cause there were no Tie Breaks at all. So he and my mum who also used to watch the matches with him sometimes really are good tennis experts concerning the last decades. My father isn´t into the sport anymore ever since Boris and Steffi retired but he still knows the names of the zop players and my mum always watches with me when I am at home. She was soooo pissed when her beloved Roger lost to Nadal in the FO´s semis...all the days after that she would make weird comments on Nadal´s messy hair and overall messy look whenever he was on telly :lol: She once even said she wouldn´t mind to see me end up with a guy like Roger cause apparently he looked so mature and nice and neat and uhhh...whatever

A few months ago they even started to watch Nastya´s matches even though I am following the matches here at my own apartment. And they don´t even like her :lol: It´s really nice that I can chat with my parents about tennis.

Breakaway
Jul 6th, 2005, 05:57 AM
My mom likes Nastya but that's just because she knows I do. I was having fits during Nastya's matches, but whats new :confused:

I don't think I have any of those matches that you listed :sad: . Stupid ESPN :fiery:

fleur137
Jul 10th, 2005, 10:27 PM

LOL. THAT is what my mum does as well!! She thinks that if a player won one match, they've won the whole tourney! And I was watching Shriekarova on telly during AO once cos I've never seen her play before and now my mum thinks I'm just jealous or something. Seriously. my mum shouldn't be allowed to comment when she never heard the volume of Shriekarova's "grunts" when i put the telly on mute!!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. IMO, all of Nastya's matches now are exceedingly exciting cos of the rollercoaster ride that comes with it for free, even if the score suggests otherwise. But i suppose there are some that are more exciting than others...not that i can think of any specific ones atm.

azmad_88
Jul 11th, 2005, 12:37 PM
can anyone tell me abou tthe match agaisnt HENIN 2003 YEC...the summary

Spunky83
Jul 11th, 2005, 02:32 PM
can anyone tell me abou tthe match agaisnt HENIN 2003 YEC...the summary

Matchreport (a good one) on Justine´s Official Site - which I have to say must be the best official players site out there - lots of stats, detailed match descriptions, further links:

http://www.henin-hardenne.be/bin/matchreports.asp?lang=en&ID=334

Well all in all, Nastya blew a huge lead in the first set and the second and third sets were really intense, nice match. Nastya played really well at the beginning of the first set...but who am I kidding, I just looooove Justine-Nastya encounters. I already told my mum that those two will meet in the US Open finals this year ;)

First set

Myskina wins five games in a row and has a 40-30 headstart.Justine is tensed in the beginnning and makes a lot of mistakes. Myskina doesn´t really have to play good tennis to give herself a headstart. Justine can keep her own serve game for the first time and has two breakpoints in the next game. The second one does the trick: 2-5.

Justine has to ask for the tournament doctor. During some long and scary minutes, she talkes with her, measures her blood pressure and Justine gets a pill in the end.

She was having some difficulties with her respiration because of her illness and the stress, but the doctor said she could finish the game. Justine enters back on the court and has a strong service game: 3-5. After saving one setpoint, she breaks for the second time through Myskina´s serve with a beautiful crossed backhand and brings the score to 4-5. She managed to avoid another two setpoints on her own serve and evens the score: 5-5!

She shows that she is a fighter and she starts to play much more aggressive...she breaks through Myskina´s serve again and wins the set with a lovegame on her own serve a couple of minutes later.

It´s unbelievable but true, at first she was 0-5 behind and eventually she was still able to pull through and won the set: she came 21 times to the net in this set.
She wins the first set with 7-5 in 56 minutes

Second set

But all good things come to an end, Myskina stops Justine´s hegemony. She wins the first game of the set after 2 breakpoints. Justine doesn´t let go and wins the next game, 1-1, followed by 2-2. Myskina´s tennislevel has raised a lot and she breaks, 4-2. Justine breaks back but Myskina manages to break again, 5-3. Justine rebreaks again and shows an exellent serve game: 5-5. Myskina stays focused and wins the next two games and the set: 7-5 5-7

Third set

Justine reaches deep in her physical reserves, that´s for sure. But that doesn´t stop her from realizing a break in this deceisive set. Myskina get´s two breaking opportunities: 1-1. The next 8 games are very similar: it´s not easy for Justine to make it hard on Myskina. She plays too short and lets her dominate the game. Nevertheless, she plays aggressive, comes to the net a lot and hits many good points.

At 4-5 and 0-30 behind, Myskina is only 2 points away from winning the match. But Justine evens the score: 5-5.

She gives herself a little peptalk and breaks. At 6-5, she sees the victory come closer...and serves very good. She wins the 36th game of the match with 40-0!

Final score: 7-5 5-7 7-5 in 2 hours and 32 minutes.

martirogi
Jul 11th, 2005, 04:30 PM
maybe with nastya's new fighting spirit we won't have to hear about matches like this anymore.

Spunky83
Jul 11th, 2005, 04:43 PM
maybe with nastya's new fighting spirit we won't have to hear about matches like this anymore.

Oh, but I would miss those ;) :lol:

_LuCaS_
Jul 11th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Oh, but I would miss those ;) :lol:
:smash: :smash: :smash:

Spunky83
Jul 11th, 2005, 06:58 PM
:smash: :smash: :smash:

:lol: of course I wouldn´t mind a double bagle once in a while from her

martirogi
Jul 11th, 2005, 10:13 PM
well it wouldnt we the same without myskina drama, but maybe we can wish for only amazing comebacks and not chokes. the occasional almost choke but still pull out win would be alright once in a while too.