PDA

View Full Version : Queen Vee #1.

Andrew..
Jul 4th, 2005, 11:23 PM
After rereading Lindsay's interview from Saturday's final, I'm very worried about the "mental bocks" being rebuilt. She had the "Vee too good. #1." issue through most of last summer. I'm very concerned that this is back, and that this summer when Venus is back to playing her usual crap with a praying mantis forehand, Lindsay will come in with the "Too good." attitude, again.

I hope this doesn't happen, and she remembers that she's still beaten Venus four of the last five times. But, I'm very concerned. Discuss.

chewy
Jul 5th, 2005, 04:25 AM
i actually believe lindsay with all her experiece will learn that she can overcome venus in big situations not just when she is confident. i think she lost in the final cause she wanted it so much and victory was almost in her hands that she started to play alittle bit safe n hope venus will lose it(which might have work b4, but unfortunately this time venus's full of confidence and went for her shots). so hopefully the "mental blocks" stays clear

Knowing she has improved atleast a step further this year in all her preformance compare to last year because this year she is really fit and fighting for it, with this attitude she can take the final leap n grab her well deserved grandslam title when the next opportunity arises.

Andrew..
Jul 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Bumpo.

LindsayRocks89
Jul 5th, 2005, 03:59 PM
lets hope not. i mean LIndsay played really well and venus just played some amazing shots. i just think lindsay needs to go for her shots just a tad more against venus and keep moving forward.

Andrew..
Jul 5th, 2005, 04:26 PM
lets hope not. i mean LIndsay played really well and venus just played some amazing shots. i just think lindsay needs to go for her shots just a tad more against venus and keep moving forward.
I agree for the most part. One of the big reasons Lindsay lost is because when she was up, she was being very passive. Serving for the match, all she was doing was keeping the ball in.

wkchiang
Jul 5th, 2005, 05:05 PM
I think we will see what will happen in Bank of West. Lindsay reminds me a lot like Graf at the end of her career. Showing a lots of emotions during the games, playing well after a long injure come back, lost Wimbledon final...

I won't surprise if Lindsay announces her retirement after losing all her 3 CA tournament (finals or not). :( I do hope she can at least defend one of them. And, *if* Lindsay plays well this summer, please skip New Haven before US Open! I can't see her keep health for playing 3 weeks in a row. If she wants to win US Open this year, she got to be more careful about her schedule.

RayRob
Jul 6th, 2005, 12:31 AM
I agree about the being careful about scheduling. I mean, she took the 2 weeks off between RG and Wimby, yet reached the finals.....she just prepared on some grass courts at home, we know this is different running up to US open and needs match practice, but playing something like 4-5 weeks of tennis in a row (she'll probably be doing singles and doubles because of Corina....bless her) is like making a noose for her own neck.

She should perhaps do Bank of the West, San Diego, maybe LA (close to home ;) ) then take two weeks off (like she did before Wimby) then play US Open.

Can't say for sure what she'll do, but as long as she's fit I don't think she would have a problem with Venus mentally :D - it';s all about rest and fitness.....Lindsay showed that in the final for the most part IMHO.

-Rache

huh?
Jul 6th, 2005, 12:56 AM
I'd be more worried if she acted more crushed after the loss, but she was upbeat and (imho) seemed to feel that it was only a few points that didn't go her way that caused the loss, and it wasn't anything huge or anything like that...and lindsay's always really nice like that...look at how she talks about Kim before she plays her, giving her the edge when asked about it...I'm not too worried! :)

LindsayRocks89
Jul 6th, 2005, 02:05 AM
i think andrew said that Lindsay was playing stanford and san diego and he also stated she may take a wild card to new haven. so i don't think she'll be playing L.A.

jacs
Jul 6th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Well, I think she's playing all of the California tournaments since she loves them. I think it's more likely that she wouldn't play new haven rather than her not playing a week in California.

About the Venus mentality, I don't think the mental blocks are being rebuilt. At least, I certainly hope not. She sounded pretty positive in her interview. In the past, I felt she focused on Venus and Serena's capabilities too much and downplayed her own chances in the match. In wimby, she specifically pointed out her chances and wanted to have those key moments back. ("It went by so fast..." etc, etc.)

Andrew..
Jul 6th, 2005, 01:50 PM
i think andrew said that Lindsay was playing stanford and san diego and he also stated she may take a wild card to new haven. so i don't think she'll be playing L.A.
No, she'll for sure play Stanford, La Costa and LA. Then, she'll make a decision about New Haven.

LindsayRocks89
Jul 6th, 2005, 06:43 PM
No, she'll for sure play Stanford, La Costa and LA. Then, she'll make a decision about New Haven.

oh alright thanks

wkchiang
Jul 6th, 2005, 07:52 PM

It doesn't make sense Lindsay doesn't play LA since her hometown is closer to LA than La Costa ;)

But please someone reminds Lindsay there's one notorious "Lindsay's rule": When she plays 3 weeks in a row, most of time she manages to hurt herself :o

Think wise and take the US Open Champs for us! :bounce:

Andrew..
Jul 6th, 2005, 08:10 PM
It doesn't make sense Lindsay doesn't play LA since her hometown is closer to LA than La Costa ;)

But please someone reminds Lindsay there's one notorious "Lindsay's rule": When she plays 3 weeks in a row, most of time she manages to hurt herself :o

Think wise and take the US Open Champs for us! :bounce:
Laguna Beach is pretty much right in between Carson and La Costa, and is actually a little bit closer to La Costa. ;)

It doesn't usually happen on her California swing because usually there is one tournament in there where the field just isn't that great, 80% of the time that tournament in Stanford. There, she can count on her first two matches to be cakewalks. This year Stanford looks stronger. As of now, here are the seeds:

1. Davenport
2. Williams, S.
3. Williams, V.
4. Schnyder
5. Clijsters
6. Zvonareva

I doubt Serena shows up. That would be a good thing - keeps Venus on the other side of the draw, and keeps KFC out of the way until at least the SF.

wkchiang
Jul 6th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Laguna Beach is pretty much right in between Carson and La Costa, and is actually a little bit closer to La Costa. ;)

Oops! Totally forgot LA tournament has been moved to Carson. Then indeed La Costa becomes the closer tournament. :lol:

80% of the time that tournament in Stanford. There, she can count on her first two matches to be cakewalks. This year Stanford looks stronger.

Back to years ago when all 3 California tournaments were all Tier II, SD was the strongest one probably only behind Syndey or Philadelphia as a Tier II. Stanford was always the weakest one due to this schedule. Now SD tournament has been upgraded to Tier I, Stanford & LA become a warm up tournament for SD & Toronto, respective. That means Stanford as the weaker one is an old story.

I doubt Serena shows up. That would be a good thing - keeps Venus on the other side of the draw, and keeps KFC out of the way until at least the SF.

A good thought here :angel: . However, there's a 50% risk she might encounter KFC and Venus in a row if Serena doesn't play. Until 2 years ago, Stanford is a "Venus' territory" while LA is Serena's. This year thing seems a little difference. I doubt Serena will withdraw, though.

But again, Venus plays Stanford+SD+New Haven and Serena plays LA+Toronto seems a reasonable schedule to me. With JHH and KFC are around this year, it's tough for Lindsay to repeat 1998 & 2004's CA sweep.

Let's take at least 2 of them , girl! :worship: