PDA

View Full Version : FWTT : The Family Circle Cup : Draws + Results

Alek
Apr 12th, 2002, 11:57 PM
The Family Circle Cup

Singles Main Draw
[1]Larisa Ferrer (GBR) vs. Jennifer Selles (USA)
Qualifier vs. Mazuelena Majlana (BUL)
Hong Da-Jung (KOR) vs. Larissa Liashenko (BLR)
Gianna Adrianna Dulko (POL) vs. [5]Brenda Van Haak (BEL)

[7]Jane Wong (HKG) vs. Monica de la Cal (ESP)
Karla Herrera (VEN) vs. Elise Maurer (BEL)
Regla Torres (ESP) vs. Paula Masterton (GBR)
Candela Sanchez-Connelly (ESP) vs. [3]Sabine Graf (GER)

[4]Marteena Huubere (AUS) vs. Qualifier
Anjelica de la Courtiere (FRA) vs. Tanya Hingis (USA)
NI Anabel Conde-Martinez (ESP) vs. Qualifier
Madonika Diva Jahfson (MOR) vs. [8]Tiffani Eggert (BEL)

[6]Eva Sorrenta (CAN) vs. Adriana Gonzalez (ESP)
Bryanne Applegate (USA) vs. Monica Gambill (GBR)
Riana Shamira Zubir (INA) vs. Gisele Noventz (BRA)
Qualifier vs. [2]Ruflina Taliamanosoko (BOT)

Singles Qualifying Draw
[1]Ana Maria Herrera (MEX) vs. Bye
Zerene Fernandez (MEX) vs. [5]Maikano Yamada-Miyachi (JPN)

[2]Sophia Sabatini (GBR) vs. Bye
JE Linzi Paterson (GBR) vs. [6]Natalya Dlhopolcova (SVK)

[3]Carmen Prado (ESP) vs. Sandy Vicario (ESP)
Lindsay Anne Sarile (PHI) vs. [7]Katerina Shawfink (USA)

[4]Fleur Delacour (FRA) vs. Marta Maria Conde-Martinez (ESP)
Caroline Mutola (BOT) vs. [8]Anna Kroulikova (RUS)

Doubles Main Draw
[1]Ferrer/Huubere vs. de la Cal/Sanchez-Connelly
Qualifiers vs. K. Herrera/Masterton
Van Haak/Zubir vs. Majlana/Noventz
Dulko/Torres vs. [3]Applegate/Eggert

[4]Taliamanosoko/Wong vs. WC Graf/Selles
Fernandez/A. Herrera vs. Da-Jung/Sarile
Gambill/Sabatini vs. Conde-Martinez/Vicario
Kroulikova/Liashenko vs. [2]de la Couritere/Sorrenta

Doubles Qualifying Draw
[1]Dlhopolcova/Yamada-Miyachi vs. WC Delacour/Paterson
Jahfson/Mutola vs. [2]Hingis/Shawfink

Tournament Information:
Surface: Clay
Points due to: Monday 2pm NY Time
Note: IF YOU ARE GOING TO ASK SOMETHING PLEASE SAY IN THE TITLE "Question" SO I REPLY IF NOT BELIEVE ME I WONT REPLY AND WONT GIVE CHANCES OF SENDING POINTS AGAIN.

Important Information:
2000 : Caroline Whitten (CAN)
2001 : Jane Wong (HKG)
2002 : ??? ??? ??? ???

Monica_Rules
Apr 13th, 2002, 11:27 AM
GOOD LUCK

Monica Gambill,Sophia Sabatini and Paula Masterton

Kris
Apr 13th, 2002, 04:47 PM
we miss you selima....:sad:

Scotso
Apr 13th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Anjelica de la Courtiere plays for Canada now :p

Scotso
Apr 13th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Good luck to Anjelica, Anjelica/Eva, Zerene, and Zerene/Ana-Maria!

Monica_Rules
Apr 13th, 2002, 08:00 PM
GAMBILL READY TO CHALLENGE!

Monica Gambill arrived early on Friday in order to prepare for the first clay tier 1 of 2002 in Charlston,USA.Gambill has had a great season on clay so far getting to the final in Saraosta and beating Selima Valentine in Amelia Island loosing out to Tiffani Eggert who is on an 8 match winning streak!
'I'm ready for this tournament.I have a great chance as i am playing well but this week i want more than just 1 big win i want to win the tournament'

FLL
Apr 13th, 2002, 09:51 PM
I hope Larissa gets out of her slump soon! I think she is 1-4 in her last 5...

Monica_Rules
Apr 13th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Oh what a shame!:p

FLL
Apr 14th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Larissa would like to know if Monica as a problem???

Mattographer
Apr 14th, 2002, 08:40 AM
A Quick Chat with Bryanne Applegate

http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/1bau-floridapic7.jpg

What's your best career achievement?
Definitely getting into the top ten. Last year it was also a won title at 's-Hertogenbosch in The Netherlands and I beat Ruflina Taliamanosoko, ranked #3 in the world at the Canadian Open.

What are your goals for 2002?
I want success defending my title at 's-Hertogenbosch and also, winning Wimbledon is my ultimaletly goal!

Who do you most like to play against?
Anybody I beat! Perhap, Riana Shamira Zubir.

Who do you least like to play?
I don't like to play against Sabine Graf.

What is your favorite tournament?
My favourite tournament is definitely the Australian Open.

Does that make Melbourne your favorite city?
Yes, maybe. But New York is my favorite city.

Do you enjoy the travelling you have to do as a tennis player?
Yes, I like to travel. But I hate the packing and unpacking as we are moving every week. If we stayed in one place a little longer it would be better.

What do you miss the most about being at home when you are travelling?
My family and my friends. But I travel with my husband and that helps too. My sister is in juniors tour, my parents and my brother is in Australia and my grandparents is in America, so each time I travel I miss them.

What do you like to do outside tennis?
I like reading, shopping, relaxing and hanging up with my friends.

Who are your best friends on tour?
My best friend is Larisa Ferrer and we played together last year. I also friends with Marteena Huubere, Anjelica de la Courtiere, Ruflina Taliamanosoko, Regla Torres and Tiffani Eggert, of course.

If you could achieve a "non-tennis" dream, what would that be?
Being a professional photographer.

Scotso
Apr 14th, 2002, 11:45 AM
A Quick Chat with Anjelica de la Courtiere

http://www.pinkspage.com/images/photos/27134ARISTA6.jpg

I would have to say winning the Australian Open doubles. I'm also proud of getting to #1 in the world in singles... and while it doesn't look like I'll be back there soon in singles, I'm hoping to reach the top rank in doubles.

Definitely to reach #1 in doubles. I'd also like to do well at the grand slams in singles and doubles, and win the Fed Cup for Canada.

I think I have the best record against Tiffani Eggert, so probably her.

Selima Valentine.

The Australian Open, for sure. The environment and everything is just so wonderful.

No, Paris is definitely my favorite city!

Honestly, no. I like staying in one place and traveling is difficult for me, but I want to play, so I have to do it.

Sleeping in my own bed.

I enjoy following all kinds of sports. I also take correspondance classes - I'm going to get a degree in International Relations and hopefully become a diplomat.

Certainly Eva [Sorrenta] is my best friend. I also hang out with Marteena [Huubere], Bryanne [Applegate], Regla [Torres], Zerene [Fernandez], Ana-Maria [Herrera], and Fleur [Delacour].

To be the Canadian ambassador to Egypt.

wongqks
Apr 14th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Jane Wong arrives to defend title

One week ago, Jane was saying she is really worried that she will be out of top 15 soon, when all her ranking points drop out from last year. Now fresh from winning her first title of the year. jane is still humble about her position.
'I am still not at my peak. I believe I was lucky in Amelia Island with all the rain delay and stuff, I can actually relax a bit, and my opponent seems a bit unrattle by the rain, so I am really lucky, but I am happy to win my first title of the year, and it definoitely help my confidence after my disaster in Sarasota.'

'this event is so special to me, this is my first tournament. The place where I first beat the no. 1 Larisa. The place where I claim my first title and of course the place where FWTT start. Everyone beside Grand Slam will love to win here. I won last eyar, but this eyar it is a full 32 player draw with huge no. of qualifying, everyone will be tough.'

Talking about her first round opponent.
'Monica, I think I play her before, and she is a tough cookie, I hope I can get past her, I don't want to look too far into the draw. One match at a time.'

About doubles.
'I am shcoked wiyth Ruflina last week when we won, I mean we
hardly won a match this season, and then to win our second title is really fun. I said it before and will say it again, no matter how well we do in doubles. We will play with each other, winning in doubles is just a bonus for us'

Sam L
Apr 14th, 2002, 12:31 PM
[b]A Quick Chat with Regla Torres

http://members.aol.com/cha15a1/mw8/hporwb.jpg

Definitely winning the FWTT Championships in Munich last year, especially having beaten Larisa Ferrer, someone I always struggled against.

I want to do well on clay, I had a very disappointing clay season last year. I want to continue my success in Germany, I love playing there and I hope to do well for Spain in Fed Cup!

Anyone that's having a bad day at the office!(laughs)

Larisa Ferrer! She always beats me! (laughs)

Roland Garros! it's my dream to win it one day.

Does that make Paris your favorite city?
Yes, and Berlin and Rome and Amsterdam.

Yes, I like to travel. But I hate the packing and unpacking as we are moving every week. If we stayed in one place a little longer it would be better. I was just chatting with Bryanne (Applegate) last night about this and she said the same thing!

My family and my friends and my pets. But I travel with my boyfriend mostly so that helps too but he's not around always. My cousin in the junior tour also but I rarely see her except in big events like this.

I like reading, bushwalking, clubbing, going to the beach and hanging out with my friends.

My best friends are Bryanne Applegate, Marteena Huubere, Gianna Adrianna Dulko, Anjelica de la Courtiere, Monica de la Cal, Zerene Fernendez, Jane Wong, Mary Wong, Catherine Pierce and Ana Maria Herrera.

To be a veteranian, I love animals. But now I help animals in other ways possible

Tennis124
Apr 14th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Coming off an incredible season already, Tiffani Eggert has been the most dangerous player on tour. Continuously unseeded, she has been able to knock out 2 or 3 seeds per tournament. With a win in Miami, finalist at Amelia Island, and quarterfinalist twice at Scottsdale and Indian Wells, Eggert has racked up wins against Larisa Ferrer, Sabine Graf, Ruflina Taliamonosoko, Brenda Van Haak, and Larissa Liashenk. All top 10 players. Her match record is an impressive 11-3 in her last 4 tournaments. This will be the week to see if Eggert was just a passing fluke or if she will be a force here to say.

When the rankings come out on Monday, she will definitely jump up. Already at a career high rank of 9, she is inching her way towards her goal of Top 5.

Standing in her way is Madonika Diva Jahfson. Eggert has made it known to the public her distaste for Jahfson. Already playing her twice in 2002 and losing both times, Eggert can not be all too pleased about the match up. It will be interesting to see if she can keep up her momentum and avoid her first loss in the first round in 4 tournaments. The road wouldn't get much easier from there, but it would help Eggert get over her nerves.

On the doubles side, success has found Eggert and her partner Bryanne Applegate. Surprisingly getting to the finals last week, the twosome looked to be in great form. It seems that there played has really began to mesh. Losing in two very close sets, Eggert and Applegate look poised to contend for any title they want.

Play begins in Charleston on Monday

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 14th, 2002, 03:52 PM
An interview with Ruflina Taliamanosoko

http://www.hindustantimes.com/nonfram/070601/htw1.jpg

In singles, it is definitely beating Larissa Ferrer for the first time to take the US Open title. That was the best day of my life. As for doubles, it was winning the French Open with Martina Lian and the US Open with Jane Wong. All 3 events hold special memories for me. But overall, my best career achievement are my 2 daughers, Anna Cathleen and Alexandria Des'ree. They are my babies.

I have played virtually non-stop since the beginning of the year, and the main reason is to become #1. I am trying my best, and even if I do it for just one week, I will know in my heart, that one week, I was the worlds best. If I don't do that, then hey, I've had a lot of fun while trying.

It's funny, because it seems I play well against Selima. I don't know why, but I usually beat her, but she is a good friend.

Aside from Larissa Ferrer, it would be Tiffini Eggert. For some reason, her style always outplays mine and it aggravates me. Maybe one day I can get the win over her.

For Grand Slams, it would be Wimbledon. Just the prestige behind it. After that, then San Diego. It is in my hometown and it is nice to be able to play and go home and sleep in your own bed at night.

Does that make London your favorite city?
No (laughter) too much rain there. I love the people and the culture, but I don't think I could live there. My favorite city is San Diego.

I enjoy it personally, but it becomes old on my daughters. I can't wait until after Wimbledon when I will have a 3 week break and go home and just spend time together as a family.

Just the whole "being a family" idea. Eat supper at the table and sleep in your own beds.

I love a good game of backyard badmitton. I also enjoy going to the beach and just relaxing.

Well, Jane Wong of course. She is my best friend. Martina Lian travels with me in the states. She babysits my daughters while I'm playing. Other than that, I get along real well with Bryanne, Tiffini, Larissa, Selima, and Sabine. We were like the "originals" of the FWTT, and it's nice to be with the same girls for 2 years now. Happy birthday FWTT!

Just being a good mother. My first priority in life is doing that. Second is tennis.

Tennis124
Apr 14th, 2002, 04:38 PM
A Few Questions with Tiffani Eggert

http://members.aol.com/tennis124/sabine57.art

It would have to be 2 weeks ago. Winning Miami was so huge for me.

My goals are to reach the top 5 and maybe have a good showing at a Grand Slam. I have never even reached the quarters of a major.

Definitely Ruflina Taliamonosoko. I have the best record against her out of all the top 10ers. Also Larisa Ferrer, it seems that I beat her more times than I lose.

Definitely Jane Wong and Anjelica de la Courtiere. They are just too good for me. As for as unpleasantness, Madonika Jahfson. She is a bad sport.

I love Wimbledon. That is my favorite of all the tournaments. The history, the grass, it's just perfect. I also love to play Antwerp and Knokke-Heist in front of the home crowd.

That is definitely the hardest part about this sport. I am not a big fan of the travelling. I do plan my schedule very specifically so I don't have too much traveling to do. It isn't so bad when you have a great group of girls to travel with.

I miss the comforts of your own bed. It's so much more relaxing to be at home. That is why I have three residences. Antwerp, Miami and New York City.

I am a huge TV nut. I watch TV all the time. haha Big couch potato.

Former pro Tami Sugarn and I were the closest. Right now, Bryanne Applegate, Ruflina Taliamanosoko, and Paula Masterton. However, since we started this FWTT Survivor exhibition, Jane Wong and I have gotten very close. Also me and Marteena Huubere and Sandy Vicario.

I would love to be a star on television in Belgium.

Kris
Apr 14th, 2002, 05:34 PM
http://www.steffi-graf.de/images_galerie/sport.1.600.jpg

A QUICK CHAT WITH SABINE GRAF

Easy question, my title in Wimbledon last year. This tournament is a special one and I beat great players to become Wimbledon Champion. But the title in the Fed Cup together with Selima and the other girls was fantastic, too.

I hope to defend my titles in England and the main goal is to achieve the number one in the FWT Tour, but this extremely is hard.

Byranne Applegate.

Hmmm, in 2000 and 2001 I lost several times against Larisa, but then after my sucess in Wimbledon I could win against her. This year a lot of players defeated me, so I can not name a special player.

Wimbledon, of course.

Does that make London your favorite city?
No, my favourite cities are Melbourne and Perth and Berlin.

The travelling is not bad, you can see different cities and cultures, I like it.

I miss my family and my friends and of course the German television.

Cinema, shopping, internet and party!!!

Selima, Marteena, Ruflina, Ana-Maria, Larisa and Jennifer. They are my top 6 in friendship.

To find a cure against cancer.

martinafan
Apr 14th, 2002, 10:31 PM
<font size=6>Quick chat with Marteena Huubere!!</font>

http://www.**********************/huber/IMG_4723.jpg

I would say reaching the semi's of the US Open last year. Before that I had sucked big time at the grand slams and I beat bryanne and sabine before losing to larisa. Also winning the mixed doubles there aswell made it a great fortnight for me.

Well, at the start of the year it was getting to top 5 in singles and reaching #1 in doubles. Well, i am #5 in singles now, so i suppose i would like to get to #3, but that's some tough competition. Just i suppose to keep consistent. That was another goal of mine, to improve my consistency and reduce the number of 1st round losses i had.

There isn't one player that sticks out in my mind actually. I can't think of one player i always do well against.

I don't like playing Larisa at all. Larisa is like 6-1 against me, and in most of the matches i've been close but she's always been too good at the end...it's rather frustrating ;)

Undoubtedly the Australian Open. Playing infront of your home crowd is an unbelievable feeling. PLus i believe it's one of the most organised and well-run tournaments in the world.

No, Sydney is my favourite, and it always will be.

I am loving every minute of it. I never travelled that much before playing tennis, so it's given me a great opportunity to see the world. I suppose as my career continues for more years it may lose it's 'newness', but for now i'm loving it! :)

Definitely my friends, and the great weather we have in Sydney! :) I love going home and hanging out with my friends at the beach! Best beaches anywhere in the world! :)

I love the computer! :) Also, just hanging out with friends, and going out to movies and dinner.

I have sooooo many really great friends on the tour, I truly am blessed. Nicole was one of my best friends, and still is, even though she has retired. Larisa now is a really good friend, also Sabine, Selima, Anjelica, Regla, Eva, Bryanne, and i am really getting to know Tiffani, Jane and Sandy from the survivor challenge and am really enjoying their company a lot!

I would love to go to university and get a degree in education. Ultimately, i would love to be a teacher. I always loved learning, and i can think of nothing more rewarding than educating others.

wongqks
Apr 15th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Quick Chat with Jane Wong

Definitely winning French Open last year, I had a great clay season last year but never really believe I can win it, and I also I was really proud of beating so many great players along the way.
US Open doubles come in close second, it was just amazing as me and Ruflina was playin gin our first tournament.

My goal is to stay in top 10 in singles, I mean this is the only ranking expectation. Ranking does not matter too muich to me only that I don't have to face top players in the first round. but my aim this year is definitely trying to defend roland Garros and definitely winning tournaments which I think is more important than ranking.

There is not really one player which stick out of my mind, but I think I have a good record against good friend Tiffani, her style just suit me.

well I hate playing Ruflina, I have not beaten her ever since I beat her in French open last year LOL. But she is such a close friend to me that we never bring out the best of each other in matches.

Roland garros of course (laughter)

Does that make Paris your favorite city?
I love PAris, witht eh whole atmosphere and stuff, but my fav city of course is Hong Kong.

I love travelling, I love backpacking and stuff, and to be able to go to so many countries is just fantastic, but travelling as a tennis player is different coz you are not really free or have time to do anything in the city you are visiting.

Well, of course my family, and my baby cousin, she is so cute.

I love playing a game of basdminton, squash, table tennis, but since I turn pro, I keep that to the minimum, also I like to do some gardening, although we had just a tiny garden in our home.

oF course Ruflina, she is my best friend, also all the oldies Sabine, Eva, Selima, Regla, Tiffani, Marteena and sandy, they are all very chatty, and it is really fun.

I would love to just backpack and tavel the world for a year, it would be fun.

Mattographer
Apr 15th, 2002, 08:29 AM
A picture of Bryanne and her husband, Tobias Applegate! ;)

http://kidsville.net/webs/mall/kelly_kewell/hugsm.jpg
Bryanne and Tobias Applegate hugged each other.

:o @ Bryanne wears bunny ears! LOL!

deftman
Apr 15th, 2002, 04:53 PM
QUICK CHAT WITH TANYA HINGIS

Yet to come

Wait and watch

Maybe Anjelica ??;);)

I donít like playing Gisele ,as sheís very unpredictable.I also donít like playing Marteena as she always beats me :o

Actually I have no ideaÖ.. Maybe the US Open? LOL ,Iíve got no idea. I think the atmosphere at IW and Miami is also cool,

Your favorite city?
That would be LA :D

What do you think is needed to be succesful in FWTT?
Well actually I have no idea.This is a crazy game U know. You may lose in the 1st round of an event,and be the finalist in the very next event. I hate the unpredictability of the game.But I still love the game ,and try to figure the right stratergy usually.

In that case how does Larissa Ferrer do so well week after week?
Well actually I donít know. LOL .I guess sheís gifted with the knack to predict what most players points will be next week, a very clever player indeed.I wish I could be like her ;)

Actually I donít have any friends. I usually cheer for Gisele,but I hate it when the bitch beats me.I am also familiar with Marteena and Ana Maria. I donít have a regular doubles partner,so I donít have any thick friends on the tour..

Do you think you can win this tournie?
Not very likely .I face some stiff competition.But ofcorse ,Im always hopeful.

Scotso
Apr 16th, 2002, 01:19 AM
You started a neat trend, Matthew ;)

Mattographer
Apr 16th, 2002, 02:45 AM
http://www.familycirclecup.com/img/home-001-stadium.jpg
Family Circle Magazine Stadium

spencercarlos
Apr 16th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Karla Herrera interviewed by Bryanne Applegate

OK - you know Bryanne Applegate (my player) is part of Players Council. Can I ask you something? LOL! What you most dislike thing about the Tour?

Karla: Well i think the tour is very well organized, the tournaments are pretty good, the facilities and practice courts given to us have been pretty well in every tournament we go in the world i wanna congrataulate the organizers for that.

But to answer your question i think the only bad thing about the tour are players like Madokiva Jafhson and Angelica de La Courtiere, the first one because she is always bitchy with people and i am done with her about her stupid sex talking is she a tennis player or a prostitute?... and Angelica De LA Courtiere is one of the worst sore losers that FWTT has she always complains about everything and never admits when someone kicks her ass. IMAO. Any ohter question?

Bryanne: No Karla thanks this is helpful information for the Players Council.

Karla: Ok Good Luck in that i support your job. ;)

Monica_Rules
Apr 16th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Results?

Mattographer
Apr 16th, 2002, 10:16 AM
http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/images/rain.gif

Alek
Apr 16th, 2002, 10:44 AM
No rain delay :p Sorry about lateness but I have had some homework and couldnt manage to do results yesterday when deadline finished.

Singles Qualy Draw R1
[1]Ana Maria Herrera (MEX) def. Bye
Zerene Fernandez (MEX) def. [5]Maikano Yamada-Miyachi (JPN) 7-6[6] 2-6 6-2

[2]Sophia Sabatini (GBR) def. Bye
JE Linzi Paterson (GBR) def. [6]Natalya Dlhopolcova (SVK) 6-3 6-3

[3]Carmen Prado (ESP) def. Sandy Vicario (ESP) 7-5 0-6 6-2
[7]Katerina Shawfink (USA) def. Lindsay Anne Sarile (PHI) 6-3 7-6[5]

[4]Fleur Delacour (FRA) def. Marta Maria Conde-Martinez (ESP) 2-6 7-6[5] 6-2
[8]Anna Kroulikova (RUS) def. Caroline Mutola (BOT) 7-6[1] 3-6 6-4

Alek
Apr 16th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Singles Qualy Round
Zerene Fernandez (MEX) def. [1]Ana Maria Herrera (MEX) 3-6 7-5 7-5

JE Linzi Paterson (GBR) def. [2]Sophia Sabatini (GBR) 7-6[4] 5-7 7-6[5]

[3]Carmen Prado (ESP) def. [7]Katerina Shawfink (USA) 7-5 1-6 6-2

[8]Anna Kroulikova (RUS) def. [4]Fleur Delacour (FRA) 4-6 7-6[4] 7-6[5]

anabel
Apr 16th, 2002, 10:58 AM
PF :sad:

Alek
Apr 16th, 2002, 11:05 AM
[1]Larisa Ferrer (GBR) vs. Jennifer Selles (USA)
q-Carmen Prado (ESP) vs. Mazuelena Majlana (BUL)
Hong Da-Jung (KOR) vs. Larissa Liashenko (BLR)
Gianna Adrianna Dulko (POL) vs. [5]Brenda Van Haak (BEL)

[7]Jane Wong (HKG) vs. q-Anna Kroulikova (RUS)
Karla Herrera (VEN) vs. LL Ana Maria Herrera (MEX)
Regla Torres (ESP) vs. Paula Masterton (GBR)
Candela Sanchez-Connelly (ESP) vs. [3]Sabine Graf (GER)

[4]Marteena Huubere (AUS) vs. q-Zerene Fernandez (MEX)
Anjelica de la Courtiere (FRA) vs. Tanya Hingis (USA)
NI Anabel Conde-Martinez (ESP) vs. q-Linzi Paterson (GBR)
Madonika Diva Jahfson (MOR) vs. [8]Tiffani Eggert (BEL)

[6]Eva Sorrenta (CAN) vs. Adriana Gonzalez (ESP)
Bryanne Applegate (USA) vs. Monica Gambill (GBR)
Riana Shamira Zubir (INA) vs. Gisele Noventz (BRA)
LL Sophia Sabatini (GBR) vs. [2]Ruflina Taliamanosoko (BOT)

deftman
Apr 16th, 2002, 11:47 AM
OMG!! :o:o
Tanya's gonna lose to Angelica :O:O
I can feel it :o:o :mad::mad:

Scotso
Apr 16th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Anjelica hasn't beaten her yet :p Frankly she's sick of losing to Tanya :p

VAMOS ZERENE! You qualified for a tier 1, well done! :bounce:

Allez Anjelica! Let's meet in the 2nd round girls! :)

Scotso
Apr 16th, 2002, 12:22 PM
... too bad it was over Ana-Maria though :sad:

vamos Mexico!

Monica_Rules
Apr 16th, 2002, 01:04 PM
LOL Sophia lost to a Junior LOL!

But got in as a lucky looser!:(

Well she has to play Ruffy!Like she has a chance

Go Monica Gambill shame i have to play Bryanne!:sad:

Scotso
Apr 16th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Oh no, I just noticed Eva has to play Gonzalez, who she has bad results against :(

Allez Eva!

Good luck to Ana-Maria and Bryanne also :)

paul_masterton
Apr 16th, 2002, 05:36 PM
omg!! Linzi qualified!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

FLL
Apr 16th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Former WTA player Natasha Zvereva predicts this year Family Circle Cup

1st round

[1]Larisa Ferrer (GBR) def. Jennifer Selles (USA) in 2 sets
q-Carmen Prado (ESP) def. Mazuelena Majlana (BUL) in 3 sets
Hong Da-Jung (KOR) def. Larissa Liashenko (BLR) in 3 sets
[5]Brenda Van Haak (BEL) def. Gianna Adrianna Dulko (POL) in 2 sets

q-Anna Kroulikova (RUS) def. [7]Jane Wong (HKG) in 3 sets
Karla Herrera (VEN) def. LL Ana Maria Herrera (MEX) in 3 sets
Regla Torres (ESP) def. Paula Masterton (GBR) in 2 sets
Candela Sanchez-Connelly (ESP) def. [3]Sabine Graf (GER) in 2 sets

[4]Marteena Huubere (AUS) def. q-Zerene Fernandez (MEX) in 3 sets
Anjelica de la Courtiere (FRA) def. Tanya Hingis (USA) in 3 sets
q-Linzi Paterson (GBR) def. NI Anabel Conde-Martinez(ESP) in 2 sets
[8]Tiffani Eggert (BEL) def. Madonika Diva Jafhson(MOR) in 2 sets

[6]Eva Sorrenta (CAN) def. Adriana Gonzalez (ESP) in 3 sets
Bryanne Applegate (USA) def. Monica Gambill (GBR) in 2 sets
Gisele Noventz (BRA) def. Riana Shamira Zubir (INA) in 2 sets
[2]Ruflina Taliamanosoko (BOT) def. LL Sophia Sabatini (GBR) in 2 sets

Round of 16

Larisa Ferrer def. Carmen Prado in 2 sets
Brenda Van Haak def. Hong Da-Jung in 3 sets
q-Anna Kroulikova def. Karla Herrera in 3 sets
Regla Torres def. Candela Sanchez-Connely in 3 sets

Martina Huubere def. Angelica de la Courtiere in 3 sets
Tiffani Eggert def. Linzi Paterson in 2 sets
Eva Sorrenta def. Bryanne Applegate in 3 sets
Gisele Noventz def. Ruflina Taliamanosoko in 3 sets

1/4 finals

Larisa Ferrer def. Brenda Van Haak in 3 sets
Regla Torres def. q-Anna Kroulikova in 3 sets

Tiffani Eggert def. Martina Huubere in 3 sets
Gisele Noventz def. Eva Sorrenta

1/2 finals

Larisa Ferrer def. Regla Torres in 2 sets
Gisele Noventz def. Tiffani Eggert in 3 sets

FINAL

Larisa Ferrer def. Gisele Noventz

Yak
Apr 16th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Anna Kroulikova qualifies for main draw; to face Jane Wong in 1st round

http://www.myskina.com/photos/am093.jpg

She wins two matchs in a row to qualify for her third main draw this season. In the first match, she defeated Caroline Mutola 7-6, 3-6, 6-4. Then, in the qualifying round, she rallied to beat Fleur Delacour 4-6, 7-6, 7-6 in 3 hours.

In the first round of the main draw, Anna Kroulikova will play against Jane Wong, the Amelia Island champion.

Scotso
Apr 16th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Good luck, Anna :)

Mattographer
Apr 16th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Anna, did you know that Jane is defending champion of this event? ;) Good luck! :p

Yak
Apr 17th, 2002, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Scotso!

I didn't know she was defending champion but I don't really care...

wongqks
Apr 17th, 2002, 01:07 AM
Good luck Anna, looking at the point distribution for you in thw qualies, I think I may lose this, whatever it is hope it is a good match :)

polishprodigy
Apr 17th, 2002, 02:03 AM
Round one Results? :rolleyes:

Alek
Apr 17th, 2002, 02:16 AM
[1]Larisa Ferrer (GBR) def. Jennifer Selles (USA) 6-3 3-6 7-5
Mazuelena Majlana (BUL) def. q-Carmen Prado (ESP) 2-6 6-2 7-6(5)
Larissa Liashenko (BLR) def. Hong Da-Jung (KOR) 6-3 1-6 7-5
[5]Brenda Van Haak (BEL) def. Gianna Adrianna Dulko (POL) 6-4 4-6 7-6(5)

[7]Jane Wong (HKG) def. q-Anna Kroulikova (RUS) 7-6(2) 6-3
Karla Herrera (VEN) def. LL Ana Maria Herrera (MEX) 3-6 6-4 6-4
Paula Masterton (GBR) def. Regla Torres (ESP) 7-6(1) 5-7 7-6(4)
Candela Sanchez-Connelly (ESP) def. [3]Sabine Graf (GER) 1-6 6-3 6-4 :eek:

[4]Marteena Huubere (AUS) def. q-Zerene Fernandez (MEX) 6-4 6-4
Anjelica de la Courtiere (FRA) def. Tanya Hingis (USA) 6-4 7-6(1)
NI Anabel Conde-Martinez (ESP) def. q-Linzi Paterson (GBR) 6-4 3-6 7-5
[8]Tiffani Eggert (BEL) def. Madonika Diva Jahfson (MOR) 7-6(4) 7-6(5)

Adriana Gonzalez (ESP) def. [6]Eva Sorrenta (CAN) 6-2 7-5 :eek:
Monica Gambill (GBR) def. Bryanne Applegate (USA) 6-7(3) 7-5 7-6(10)
Gisele Noventz (BRA) def. Riana Shamira Zubir (INA) 6-3 2-6 7-5
[2]Ruflina Taliamanosoko (BOT) def. LL Sophia Sabatini (GBR) 2-6 7-6(5) 6-3

Alek
Apr 17th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Did you know?

Did you know that Eva Sorrenta is the only player to have been in the top 10 since the first rankings were out and till now?

(You know is 2 year let's put some nice stats ;))

wongqks
Apr 17th, 2002, 02:30 AM
wow, I won, cannot believe it, so happy !!!!

wow, very interesting matches and result

Congrat Tiffani for beating your nemesis Madonika (am I right in saying that you lost to Madonika a few times before?)
congrats Ruflina!!!! Good luck in second round.
I think Sabine made no secret she doesn't like clay ;)

Congrats on Eva, although you lost today, but keeping top 10 ranking from FWTT started is amazing, showing your incredible consistency. I am surprised though larisa Ferrer had been out of top 10 LOL but her feat at no. 1 will take another 10 years to break LOL.

My article on Jane wong to come.,

wongqks
Apr 17th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Jane Wong advance to round two

Jane Wong advances to round two in straight set over Anna Kroulikova. Here is an interview with Jane

Q: Jane before the match, you does not sound confident, but seems like an easy win for you?
A: well not really, I think winning first set is the key, but I think it is a tough match, anna is a great player plus the fact she had play two matches in qualifying showing that she is match tough, so I am happy with my win.

Q: A lot of matches going on today, but as a defending champion, you are on Court 3, are you upset by that?
A: No, not really, I mean there are many matchup today. Playing on which court does not bother me. I mean I am no. 7 seed, so I am a low seed, of course I expect to be in small court. But the crowd is great, a lot of people pop in and cheer for me, it is great.

Q: How confident are you in doubles?
A: It is gonna be tough, me and ruflina is just happy in playing and take no expectation, this way, winning or losing we will still be happy.

Yak
Apr 17th, 2002, 03:03 AM
good match Jane;)

At least, I qualified!

Scotso
Apr 17th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Bad luck Eva :( You just can't seem to play that Gonzalez :o

Zerene :sad:

Anjie :bounce: Finally a win! it's been 4 weeks :D

FLL
Apr 17th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Liashenko wins 20th match of the year in Charleston

Reutuers

Larissa Liashenko, who made a return to the FWTT in January, won her 20th match of the year in Charleston, where she is participating in the Family Circle Cup. Liashenko, who will be 18 in May, won her 20th singles match of the year. In the first round, Liashenko met Hong Da-Jung, who had never won a set from the Belarussian in two previous meetings. The score was 6-3, 1-6 7-5.

Question Larissa, it's our first interview since Indian Wells that we have a chance to talk. How has it been doing since then?

Liashenko: Well, the tennis hasn't been so good. I lost first round of Indian Wells and Amelia Island and the second round of the Nasdaq-100. The moral side is doing much better then in Indian Wells where I first learned about my moms cancer. She is doing much better. She started her chemo treatment 2 weeks ago. It's tough but she's very tough!

Question: Let's talk about today's match against Hong Da-Jung of Korea. She had never won a set from you today. Why today?

Liashenko: Honestly, I play her like I always do. I'm aggressive but yet in a control manner. And during that first it worked. In the second set, she started to play much better, keeping the ball in longer. She really dominated me in that second set. The third set, was my best set in awhile. I didn't drop serve and I played very well from the back.

Question: Do you think maybe it's because of making the switch from hardcourts to claycourts?

Liashenko: Not at all!!! It has absolutly nothing to do with my second set. Like I told you in previous interviews, I don't have a problem changing surface.

Question: Next for you is Brenda Van Haak. Have you ever played her and how do you approach this match?

Liashenko: No, I don't think I ever played Brenda. She is a great girl. We always talk to each other on the tour. Also, she is a fantastic player. She plays very intelligent tennis. That is why she won the tilte in Indian Wells. It should be a very good match. I think that the winner of our match could do very well against Ferrer. Even if she has to play a 2nd round match, I don't think she'll lose now!

Question: Thanks Larissa for your time.

Liashenko: Thank you

http://www.**********************/hantuchova/200116135.jpg

Liashenko's Match Statistics

% of first serves in: 54%
% of first serve points won: 69%
% of second serve points won: 58%
Ace: 4
Double-faults: 3
Winners(including servive): 41
Unforced errors: 29
Net approach: 16/29
Break points won: 3/16:eek:
Fastest first serve(MPH): 108 MPH
Average first serve speed(MPH): 100 MPH
Average second serve speed(MPH): 74 MPH

Scotso
Apr 17th, 2002, 03:47 AM
for the last time, Anjelica is Canadian :mad: :p

Scotso
Apr 17th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Anjelica ends her slump
Anjelica de la Courtiere (CAN) def. Tanya Hingis (USA) 6-4 7-6(1)

Q. Must feel good to finally get a win.
DLC: Yes, I lost in four first rounds in a row and I think one of them was to Tanya. So, it's good to win. I've been so sore lately but I felt good today. I thought I was going to lose when I let a 6-4 5-2 lead slip, but I managed to pull it together. This win gives me a lot of confidence, Tanya is a great player.

Q. Is it good to be back on clay courts?
DLC: Yes, it's much easier on my knee to play on the clay, plus I just love it. My two titles came on clay, so I'm hoping to do well, for sure.

Q. Next round is Huubere who beat your friend Zerene, what do you think?
DLC: Marteena is an amazing player so it's going to be tough. I know her game, we're good friends, and I know she isn't as comfortable on the clay as I am, so I hope I can get a win. It would be my best of the year so far, or at least my most needed.

Q. And doubles?
DLC: Eva is in a slump lately and not feeling all that well. We're also not yet used to the clay, having done so well on hard, but you can never count us out. I hope we do well, but there are a lot of talented teams.

Q. Good luck!
DLC: Thanks!

Tennis124
Apr 17th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Hottest player on tour, Tiffani Eggert, was able to put her recent surge to good use on Tuesday. Eggert, Miami champion and Amelia Island finalist, took on her toughest opponent of late. Losing twice in the first round to the controversial Madonika Diva Jahfson in 2002, Eggert took the court to try and gain revenge. In straight sets, Eggert mopped the floor with the cocky Jahfson. Known for her lack of personality skills and poor sportsmanship, Jahfson had nothing to say after the match as she quickly ran into the lockerroom. "I was really glad to beat her. I have made it clear my dislike for Jahfson. There was a lot of pressure on me today, but I am glad I won," Eggert told reporters. The win was Eggerts 11th in her last 13 matches. "When I go into a tournament these days, I just try and win the first match. I used to consistently lose first round. I try to get past it and then see what happens. The first round is the first step."

In the second round, Eggert plays Anabel Conde-Martinez, a former top junior. The two have never met before.

Tennis124
Apr 17th, 2002, 05:31 AM
you are correct jane. i am now 1-2 against Jahfson in 2002, first rounds, and career. congrats on your win, maybe another final meeting. although i doubt i will make it.

Tennis124
Apr 17th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Alx, what are the rankings as of Monday? More specifically, what is Tiffani ranked?

Tennis124
Apr 17th, 2002, 05:33 AM
sorry bryanne, i took away your seeding and then you lose first round

spencercarlos
Apr 17th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Karla Herrera beats her Older Sister Ana Maria 3/6 6/4 6/4.

Interviewer.Congrats Karla how do you feel after this match?
Well i feel just a bit sad cause Ana Maria is a great player, it`s a shame to have played this early, but the match as you saw was pretty difficult. Ana Maria led a set and 4/2 and then i won the second set and led 4/2 in the third before she attempted a comeback, i was pretty lucky that she, you know, made those errors at the last two games.

Interviewer.Your Next match (7)Jane Wong, Roland Garros
Champion what to expect?

Omg was she the last year`s Roland Garros Winner?

Interviewer. Yes she is the Roland Garros Defending Champion.
Well you know i won`t expect anything less than the best you knwo, its clay, its her surface, you know, i will just try my best and see what happens she is definetly a heavy favorite at this event so.

Interviewer.Has this match afected your relationship with your sister?

Not at all, we are sisters and better than that we are great friends, so no hard feelings. She has beaten me more times so i guss i should be the one upset to her IMAO, lol Joke. I wish Ana Maria the best of lucks in the doubles.

Interviewer. Thanks Karla Good Luck!
Thank you are wellcome!

Mattographer
Apr 17th, 2002, 05:58 AM
That's OK, Tiffani. Look like I will be out Top 10 next week! :o Thanks, Monica! :p

Anyway, I am sure I will be back Top 10 again after Roland Garros cause clay is my fuck worst surface :angel: Grass is my abolutely love surface! :D

Monica_Rules
Apr 17th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Yeah Monica wins again!:D

potty
Apr 17th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Mazzi finally gets a win.

Mazuelena Majlana finally ended her slump in form with a not so convincing win over qualifier Carmen Prado in a tough 3 set match, Mazuelena who has not won a match since getting to the final in Acapulco wrap up the match 2-6 6-2 7-6(5) to advance to the next round. In the second round she will face Larisa Ferrer who beat her in that Acapulco final in straight sets. We got these comments from Mazuelena heading into the second round encouter

"You know I played her in the Acapulco final and she beat me easily, hopefully I will do better here, though I was playing well at that time and I am just coming out of a slump that has seen me lose first round in qualies or main draw of Indian Wells, Miami, Sarasota and Amelia Island, hopefully now I will be able to get me season going again."

anabel
Apr 17th, 2002, 11:46 AM
:bounce:

Kris
Apr 17th, 2002, 04:35 PM
another disappointing first round loss...Sabine can not play on clay....:sad: :sad:

paul_masterton
Apr 17th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Paula wins!!! (just) And Linzi looses out in a close gfigth against caly-court specialist Anabel Conde-Martinez so im very happy!!

Its just a sahem that teh new scottish protige couldnt haev played Tiff - i know that experiecne would ahve been very valueable indeed.

Paul

polishprodigy
Apr 17th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Darn! Gianna Adrianna Dulko lost, and 7-6(5) in the third too! :p :( I hate how Dulko comes so close to beating top ten players, but always loses! :p Oh well, good luck to Dulko/Torres in doubles! :D WIth this loss, Gianna's record is 18-16! A WINNING RECORD IN SINGLES! :o

Jippo McScally
Apr 17th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Well once again Sophia loses!!!!!!!
She today announced she had Tendonitis in her left wrist.

Well played, Taliamanosoko! :)

Monica_Rules
Apr 17th, 2002, 09:19 PM
GAMBILL SURVIVES MARATHON MATCH WITH APPLEGATE!

In what can only be described as a marathon match Monica Gambill defeated Bryanna Applegate 6-7 7-5 7-6 to advance to the second round of the Family Circle Cup in charlston.
'It was such a great battle every set lasting over and hour each.I am so exhausted but i'm really glad with the win Bryanne is such a great player that i never thought i'd win after loosing the first set!We both played really well it was a shame one of us had to loose'
Asked about her chances tomorrow she said
'I'll be glad to finish the match with how tired i am feeling now'

deftman
Apr 18th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Tanya wins "SanBulmar Classic" Exhibition

http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/1mhpic379.jpg

"It's a great feeling to win a exho like this.It came as a good consolation for my 1st round loss to Anjie here ;)"

In an exciting exhibition held on MSN , meant for practice for the upcoming important tournaments in May, Tanya Hingis edged out Daniela Turundzhov 6-2,6-3 in the final. Though Tanya lost to Byranne in the Round Robin she beat Byranne to get a spot against Daniella in the final .There were 4 contestants, World No.9 Byranne Applegate,World no.18 Tanya Hingis,Former World Junior No.1 Daniela Turundzhov and Junior player Virginia Ross.

The results
Round Robin :-
Bryanne Applegate bt Virigina Ross 6-1 ,4-6, 6-2
Bryanne Applegate bt Tanya Hingis 6-4,0-6,6-1
Daniela Turundzhov bt Bryanne Applegate 7-5,6-3
Daniela Turundzhov def. Viriginia Ross by 3-6,6-4,7-5
Tanya Hingis by Virginia Ross 0-6,6-3,6-3
Daniela Turundzhov def.Tanya Hingis by w.o.

Daniela got a bye into the finals ,while Byranne and Tanya fought for a finalist spot
Tanya Hingis bt Bryanne Applegate 6-3,2-6,7-5

Final :-
Tanya Hingis bt Daniela Turundzhov 6-2,6-3

THE PRESS CONFERENCE

Daniela Turndzhov
http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/1jdokpic1.jpg
"'I've been a little injured lately, took the last 2 weeks off so for me to return the way I have really gives my confidence a boost. I was still a little tired so to beat Bryanne and Virgina was fantastic, Tania was just too good for me."

Bryanne Applegate
http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/1129bh02-13-008.jpg

"The exhibition is helps me alot because I want preparing for defend my QF at Berlin in next few weeks. Clay is my fuck worst surface!", Bryanne Applegate who ranked #9 this week."

Virginia Ross
http://masterroma.iol.it/protagonisti/snap/grande_z.jpg

"I'd just like to say that Catherine Pierce is a crap player,and I can beat her easily"

Jordan.
Apr 18th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Virginia Ross' statement was a joke....:p ;)

jd4eva
Apr 18th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Interview with Daniela Turundzhov:

Turundzhov def V. Ross 3-6 6-4 7-5
Turundzhov def (1) B. Applegate 7-5 6-3
Turundzhov lost to (2) T. Hingis 2-6 3-6

Q: Daniela, where have you been?

A: I felt a little tired after Sarasota and I had a stomach virus so I missed a week last week and took this week off as well, I didn't expect to be playing this week at all, but I think it did me some good.

Q: How did you end up playing the Sanbulmar Classic?

A: I've been around this week, just watching the action and the organisers approached me about playing. At first I wasn't so sure about whether I wanted to play but I took the chance and I'm feeling full of confidence right now.

Q: Your win over Applegate, your biggest?

A: Yeah, I think that it was a good match for me to win. I've been a little injured lately, took the last 2 weeks off so for me to return the way I have really gives my confidence a boost. I was still a little tired so to beat Bryanne and Virgina was fantastic, Tania was just too good for me. I think that I played really well against Bryanne.

Thanks Daniela

Thanks

http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/1jdokpic1.jpg

Daniela Turundzhov returns a shot to Bryanne Applegate, Turundzhov won 7-5 6-3.

Jordan.
Apr 18th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Virginia Ross is sore muscles as she and Byranne were practicing all week......:wavey:

Mattographer
Apr 18th, 2002, 12:54 AM
Daniela, remember this is exhibition! :p You should don't say that this is your biggest won over me :p

Jordan.
Apr 18th, 2002, 12:56 AM
*hits Byranne with a tennis ball at 100 miles an hour*

Muahahahaha! :fiery:

Jordan.
Apr 18th, 2002, 01:00 AM
*Official Statement*

Bryanne Applegate is pregnant by Magnus Norman..:eek:

Alek
Apr 18th, 2002, 01:10 AM
[1]Larisa Ferrer (GBR) def. Mazuelena Majlana (BUL) 6-3 3-6 7-6(4)
Larissa Liashenko (BLR) def. [5]Brenda Van Haak (BEL) 7-6(3) 3-6 6-3 :eek:
Karla Herrera (VEN) def. [7]Jane Wong (HKG) 7-6(4) 1-6 6-2 :eek:
Paula Masterton (GBR) def. Candela Sanchez-Connelly (ESP) 6-4 0-6 6-4

Anjelica de la Courtiere (FRA) def. [4]Marteena Huubere (AUS) 4-6 7-5 7-6(1) :eek:
[8]Tiffani Eggert (BEL) def. NI Anabel Conde-Martinez (ESP) 0-6 7-5 6-2
Adriana Gonzalez (ESP) def. Monica Gambill (GBR) 6-4 4-6 7-6(4)
Gisele Noventz (BRA) def. [2]Ruflina Taliamanosoko (BOT) 3-6 6-4 6-3 :eek:

FLL
Apr 18th, 2002, 02:26 AM
Liashenko gets another shot at Ferrer

Reutuers

In one of the best match of the day, Larissa Liashenko defeated #5 seed Brenda Van Haak 7-6, 3-6, 6-3. Liashenko, who has struggled in the last few tournaments, won consecutive matchs for the first time since the Mexican Open where she was beat by world #1 Larisa Ferrer. Ferrer and Liashenko will play in the 1/4 final here in Charleston. ''I'm playing great again! I'm looking foreward to play Larisa again. Last time, she won but I had set points in the first set, so I think I can at least win a set from her!'', said the 17 years old Liashenko.

Liashenko's Match Statistics

% of first serves in: 65%
% of first serve points won: 63%
% of second serve points won: 61%
Ace: 6
Double-faults: 0
Winners(including servive): 59
Unforced errors: 34
Net approach: 9/15
Break points won: 5/11
Fastest first serve(MPH): 108 MPH
Average first serve speed(MPH): 97 MPH
Average second serve speed(MPH): 87 MPH

wongqks
Apr 18th, 2002, 02:53 AM
In a list of upsets, Jane Wong crash out of Charleston by losing to Karla in three sets, here is what she has to say.

'I think losing the first set is a key, I am dissappointed in myself today, but I am sure I will improve'

'I want to congratulate Karla. This year the competition is so much tougher and there are so many land mines, the depth of the tour definitely improve. I will try to do better in Berlin and Hamburg.'

Alek
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Doubles Qualifying Draw
WC Delacour/Paterson def. [1]Dlhopolcova/Yamada-Miyachi 8-3
Jahfson/Mutola def. [2]Hingis/Shawfink 9-7

Qualifying Round:
WC Delacour/Paterson def. Jahfson/Mutola 6-1 7-(4)

Scotso
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Interview with Anjelica de la Courtiere

Q. Another good win for you, Anjelica. How do you feel?
DLC: Other than being really tired (laughs), I feel great! It was a really tough match out there but I kept fighting and never gave up. My knee is a little sore but I'll get it iced and I should be good to go!

Q. Next up is Tiffani Eggert, you have a pretty good record against her.
DLC: Yes, I like playing Tiffani. I have a great record against her as you said, and her game just seems to play into mine. I don't know, I'm feeling confident, I think I can win, but she's a tough competitor, we'll see, I suppose! :)

Q. And in doubles?
DLC: Well as I said I'm not feeling too confident. Eva and I don't seem to have adjusted well to the clay and we're having some problems. It's hard because the pressure is getting to us. We're both so close to being ranked #1, which we really deserve. I really want to get there... but I think we need to try to focus on tournaments... just try to take them one by one. Hopefully we'll do marginally well in the clay and grass season and dominate again when the hardcourt tournaments come back around. But then I'd also love to win Roland Garros, anyway I'm rambling (sobs).

Q. :o Good luck in the next round, Anjie.
DLC: (sobbing) thanks.

Alek
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:13 AM
[1]Ferrer/Huubere def. LL Jahfson/Mutola 6-1 2-6 7-6(9)
q-Delacour/Paterson def. K. Herrera/Masterton 7-6(4) 6-2
Van Haak/Zubir def. Majlana/Noventz 7-5 7-6(4)
Dulko/Torres def. [3]Applegate/Eggert 7-5 6-3 :eek:

WC Graf/Selles def. [4]Taliamanosoko/Wong 6-1 1-6 7-6(5) :eek:
Fernandez/A. Herrera def. Da-Jung/Sarile 6-2 2-6 7-6(3)
Conde-Martinez/Vicario def. Gambill/Sabatini 7-6(2) 1-6 6-1
[2]de la Couritere/Sorrenta def. Kroulikova/Liashenko 5-7 7-6(9) 7-5

Scotso
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Fernandez/A. Herrera def. Da-Jung/Sarile 6-2 2-6 7-6(3)
[2]de la Couritere/Sorrenta def. Kroulikova/Liashenko 5-7 7-6(9) 7-5

wow, Fernandez/Herrera are unbeaten since the QF of Aussie Open! :D

Anjie/Eva win but with those scores I think they'll lose in the next round :sad:

ALLEZ ANJIE/EVA! VAMOS ZERENE/ANA-MARIA! :D

FLL
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:39 AM
CRAP!!!

I hate losing those very close tie-breakers!!! 7-6(11-9)

Anna...it's the first time we played together and we almost beat the best team out there! I'm sure we'll have some good success in the future:bounce:

spencercarlos
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Karla Herrera Upsets Wong, she now faces Paula Masterton. Who Paula is?? :p

"Well i think i played one of my best matches ever i mean today against the Roland Garros winner of last year and top ten player on his best surface to win is very especial, to bad that i now face Paula, my doubles partner she has had great wins this week also, so i expect a great match. Good luck friend. Bad for us in doubles ;)"

Yak
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:46 AM
you beat me to it Larissa;) :o

It's too bad we lost but like you said, we will do MUCH better in the future.........at least I hope so!!!

Kris
Apr 18th, 2002, 04:25 PM
WOW Jennifer and Sabine won in doubles against Jane and Ruflina!!! :D

paul_masterton
Apr 18th, 2002, 05:22 PM
q-Delacour/Paterson def. K. Herrera/Masterton 7-6(4) 6-2

am i meant to be happy or sad? LOL!!!

Well done Linzi but bad luck Paula/Karla

And good luck Karla against me in teh next round. I think you lead teh head-to-head, plus i suck on clay so its amazing to have won 2 matches here this week :D:D

Monica_Rules
Apr 18th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Well Done Paula for getting to the quarters Team GBR is looking good for the FED cup next week with Larisa,you me and Sophia!

Becool
Apr 18th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Gisele defeats 2nd seed Ruflina Taliamanosoko from Botswana in three sets.

Q: Great win Gisele congratulations.
GN: Yeah, I'm really happy with it. I hope I can do is much better in my next match. It was my best win of my career. I'm really exciting, but I don't want to this affect in my next round.

Q: Battle of unseeds in the quarterfinals you and Adriana who also upsetted Eva Sorrenta. Any thoughts?
GN: Adriana is playing a great tennis this week. I played her in Sarasota or in Amelia I'm not sure now, and I won, but she seems to be playing better and it will be a tougher match now. And Adriana is a clay courter player, so I'm getting ready, and we have to see.

Q: Do you think you have an advantage?
GN: About what? Jusct cause I won a higher seed?

Q: Yes.
GN: No, Eva also is a tough seed. She's the only player to stay at top ten since the beginning of tour, so she is tough, and Adriana won her. Eva and Ruflina are wonderful players, but Ruflina is better ranked. Like I said there is not favourite to win that match. I hope it's me but it's unpredictable.

Q: Ok Gisele so good luck and congrats about yesterday.
GN: Thanks :)

Lubidani
Apr 18th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Congrats Graf/Selles

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BabsiFan
Apr 19th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Larisa Ferrer bt Mazuelena Majlana 6-3, 3-6, 7-6

Q. A tough one Larisa?
A. A very tough one. When I watched that I would face Mazuelena I prepared my self for a tough one.

Q. So how did you feeled today?
A. I feeled good, I was playing good tennis and the points I lost were because Mazuelena played better not because of my errors.

Q. You will face Larissa Liashenko.
A. Yes, another difficult match like the last one we played I think in Acapulco. I hope I can pull it again.

Q. You also won in doubles.
A. Yes good match for Marteena and my self I hope we can do well.

Q. What are your expectations for the singles event?
A. Well the draw is oppening and I hope I can goo all the way, but we will see.

Q. Thanks Larisa.
A. Is a plessure.

http://www.barbara-schett.net/sydney022.jpg
Larisa in her match against Mazuelena

Alek
Apr 19th, 2002, 02:58 AM
[1]Larisa Ferrer (GBR) def. Larissa Liashenko (BLR) 7-6(6) 7-5
Paula Masterton (GBR) def. Karla Herrera (VEN) 7-5 5-7 7-6(5)
Anjelica de la Courtiere (FRA) def. [8]Tiffani Eggert (BEL) 6-3 6-4 :eek:
Gisele Noventz (BRA) def. Adriana Gonzalez (ESP) 7-6(6) 6-2

Alek
Apr 19th, 2002, 03:02 AM
[1]Ferrer/Huubere def. q-Delacour/Paterson 7-6(6) 2-6 6-1
Dulko/Torres def. Van Haak/Zubir 7-6(5) 6-4
WC Graf/Selles def. Fernandez/A. Herrera 7-6(0) 5-7 7-6(5)
Conde-Martinez/Vicario def. [2]de la Couritere/Sorrenta 6-4 0-6 6-3 :eek:

FLL
Apr 19th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Larissa is so mad of screwing up again against Ferrer!

She had set points in the first set at 5-4 and 6-5 and in the tie-break. Then in the second set, she had another one at 6-5! She has to win the important points if she wants to climb up the rankings...

Tennis124
Apr 19th, 2002, 03:46 AM
The resurgance of Tiffani Eggert, tour veteran, was put on hold Thursday. Taking on difficult foe, Anjelica de la Courtiere, Eggert bowed out of the Family Circle Cup very quietly. A 6-3, 6-4 loss has put an end to a tremendous effort. Eggert sat down after her match for an interview:

Q: What a great couple of weeks it's been for you. Are you bummed about today's loss?
TE: Well, I am and I am not. It's been an amazing couple of weeks, but I am exhausted . I am kinda glad to be out this week. Next week is FED Cup and then I have a lot of points to defend in Germany. I want to be rested. I have played 19 singles matches in the past 18 days. I am going to take a few days off and then get ready for FED Cup.

Q: Do you think that you will be able to continue you're high level of play?
TE: I hope so. I think I have learned a lot in the past few weeks. I can close out matches better. I have consistently beat players ranked higher than me. Today was a bit of a dissapointment. I know that usually Anjelica beats me and I thought maybe I could take this one.

Q: You have soared in the rankings. Ranked 16 only a few weeks ago, now you are at a career best 6. How does it feel?
TE: Absolutely great. A lot of pressure though. I am happy to be 6 and of course I want to go higher. I may lose some points from this tournament and I have a lot to defend in the next few weeks, but hopefully I can do it.

Q: Who did you vote for this week in FWTT Survivor Exhibition?
TE: haha Can't say!

spencercarlos
Apr 19th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Congrats Paula you played too well today ;)

Scotso
Apr 19th, 2002, 04:51 AM

Q. So you're upset again in doubles... how do you feel about that?
DLC: Bad, let's talk about singles.

Q. Ok, another upset victory... three straight victories following four straight loses, how does it feel?
DLC: Oh it's great. I'm pleased with my play this week and I hope I can continue to play well. Maybe my luck has turned... hopefully it has.

Q. You do pretty well against Eggert.
DLC: Yes, I don't think I've lost to her. I don't know why, she's an amazing player. My initial victories were over her when she wasn't as mature as a player, maybe... and now perhaps it's more of a mental edge I have over her. She played well though. The score doesn't do justice to how close this match was. I'm glad I managed to pull out the victory.

Q. Good luck in the semifinals, Anjelica!

martinafan
Apr 19th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Marteena is delighted that she and Larisa have won their QF doubles match. "It was a very tough match. Larisa and I were lucky to have won that first set, and after that we were steamrolled in the 2nd set. Luckily, we regrouped and played well in the third."

"I hope we can do well here, and I would love to win such a major tournament on the clay, it would be my first major doubles win on clay. I am having a ball playing with Larisa, and she not only is a remarkable player, but a remarkable person. She's been extremely nice to me and we've gotten along very well since we started playing together. I couldn't have asked for a better partner."

"I was a little suprised to have seen Anjie/Eva lose so early in the doubles, but sandy and anabel must've played a fantastic match. Anjie and Eva are such a great team, that I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they are back and winning titles. While clay may not be their favourite surface, they are more than capable of winning on it, and when they adjust to it, the rest of the teams better watch out.....right now though, i have no objection to them not having adjusted yet ;) ;) "

Good Luck to Larisa and Anjie in singles aswell.....congrats anjie for beating me last match. You played unbelievable and it's shown by your other matches here this week!

Also congrats to Regla, Sabine and Sandy in their 3 doubles matches!!!

Tennis124
Apr 19th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Filderstadt 2001
First Round
Tiffani Eggert def. Anjelica de la Courtiere 6-2, 6-4.

anabel
Apr 19th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Conde-Martinez / Vicario advance to semifinals

Conde-Martinez/Vicario def. [2]de la Couritere/Sorrenta 6-4 0-6 6-3

Q: Finally this team seems working

ACM: Yes, well, it is only our 2nd tournament together, so its great to be in the semis. We really played well out there, we were playing the 2nd seed and 2 great doubles players.

Q: What was the key of your win ?

ACM: I think after the 2nd set they thought it was finished, but it was not, we lost out concentration in the second set, thats the reason of the bagel, but we came back stronger in the third and we played as good as in the 1st set.

Q: Conde Sisters seems to have more success in doubles than in singles, last week your sister won the doubles title you won 1 two weeks ago.. and now you are going for the title here

ACM: Well i always have been a better doubles player, but i do get success in singles too. I have won a title two weeks ago and i usually win one or 2 matches in all the tournaments, but its hard for me to keep the concentration all the week, i have to work on it.

Q: Will you continue playing doubles with Sandy Vicario in the future?

ACM: Yes, maybe, why not?. Since my come back ive been looking for a regular partner, a partner like Dulko. i think its easy to get good results if you play with a regular partner. Sandy and i are in our 2nd tournament and we are in the semis, i think thats great, so i think we should continue playing together, but it will depend on our schedule i guess.

Q: Thanks and good luck in the semis.

ACM: Thanks

Monica_Rules
Apr 19th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Well DOne Paula all britsh semi

Becool
Apr 19th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Gisele advances for semifinals

After stunning secod seed, Ruflina Taliamanosoko out, Gisele continued her good form to put unseeded Adriana Gonzalez, from Spain, out. Gonzalez before defeated the 6th seed, Eva Sorrenta from Canada.

"I'm so happy with my performanc. It would be great to advance to the finals. I'm already happy with me performance this year." said Noventz that is reaching her 3rd semifinal on clay this year.

Now Noventz faces Anjelica de La Courtiere, former number 1, and Canadian. "It's gonna be tough, as she is winning all her matches easily. The serve is gonna be the key."

http://www.iroda-tulyaganova.com/ON_PIC_2/ROSEMAL25.JPG

Noventz serving in her match against Gonzalez

Scotso
Apr 19th, 2002, 12:16 PM
I must have blocked that one out ;)

polishprodigy
Apr 19th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Torres/Dulko are in the doubles semifinals! :D This is Gianna's thir straight semi-final doubles appearance! :D

Kris
Apr 19th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Graf/Selles in semis :D

paul_masterton
Apr 19th, 2002, 05:18 PM
omg!! :eek: :eek: i won 76(5) in teh third WOO HOO!!!

But one question - what the hell am I doing in the semi finals of a top clay tournament - its my worst surface!!! :P ;)

Paul :D

Randy H
Apr 19th, 2002, 05:40 PM
SORRENTA HEADS UP TO TORONTO

After early round losses im singles and doubles at Charleston, Canada's Eva Sorrenta is heading up to her hometown of Toronto Canada to prepare for the FED CUP against Spain.

Q: Eva, a tough week for you, losing to Spanish contingent heading into a week before you face them in Fed Cup.

A: Well, I was a bit disappointed but I have been struggling the last 2 weeks. I think I am playing decent but the past 2 weeks have been very hot and I have had some trouble with my conditioning at the moment, cramping up and such but I am not too concerned. Adriana, and many of the Spanish players are excellent clay-courters and she was just physically better than me in the conditions this week I think.

Q: How do you feel about the doubles?

A: Again, just a matter of me not holding my end of the bargain up, which I am disappointed about, but it happens to everyone. I am confident we will be back in top form soon, hopefully FED CUP will boost my spirits up a bit more.

Q: This is your first statement in over 2 weeks, why have you been delaying speaking with the press?

A: No specific reason, I've been a bit ill lately with the conditions as I said, and I felt that in order to win I needed to try and focus my energy strictly on the tennis for these 2 weeks, and not get caught up so much in the off court distractions.

Q: How are you feeling now?

A: A bit fatigued but I think everyone has to face that in extreme heat so it's not just me who has probably been struggling a bit. We Canadians don't get this weather for a couple more months *laughter*.

Q: It was recently announced that you are the only player in FWTT to remain in the top 10 since the beginning of the rankings, how do you attest to that, and how important is the ranking to you?

A: I've had my share of ups and downs and am fortunate to say that I have held onto a fair amount of consistency ranking wise. I ended my first year at number 3 in the world, but I've also been down at #10 too, so really sometimes I think luck plays a role in the rankings because you can be in a bit of off form, but you may not suffer as much if you don't have points to defend at the time, so I guess I've been fortunate to pretty much defend the majority of my points when needed, but I'd like to work on building up on the results from last year where I didn't fair quite aswell.

Q: Thanks Eva.

Alek
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Correction on results:

R2
Noventz def. Taliamanosoko 6-3 1-6 6-4

QF
Noventz def. Gonzalez 3-6 6-4 6-3

BabsiFan
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Larisa Ferrer bt Larissa Liashenko 7-6, 7-5

Q. Larisa another tough one.
A. Yes another tough match, all have been tough in Charleston.

Q. You saved set points in both sets, how do you feel?
A. It feels good to have come back in those moments, and is important for my conffidence.

Q. You will face Paula Masterton now.
A. Yes Paula, is a difficult opponent and we are Fed cup team members so it will be tough.

Q. You have played all clay events in all the season why is that?
A. Well I think the reason is obvious, my main goal is to win the French Open so I want the more practice so I can have a chance of winning it, as clay is not my best surface.

Q. What are your next events after here?
A. I will be playing the Fed cup and then I will be traveling to Germany and will be playing Hamburg and Berlin, then Rome and will take the next week to rest and then will play Roland Garros.

Q. Finally maybe you do not make the final but who do you think will make the final in the other half?
A. It's a difficult choice but I will go with Anjelica she has more experience and a very good clay player, I think she will be the finalist in that half.

Q. Thank you Larisa.
A. A plessure once again.

http://www.barbara-schett.net/indianwells025.jpg
Larisa Ferrer reacts after losing a point against Larissa Liashenko.

Alek
Apr 20th, 2002, 02:05 AM
[1]Larisa Ferrer (GBR) def. Paula Masterton (GBR) 7-6(4) 7-5
Anjelica de la Courtiere (CAN) def. Gisele Noventz (BRA) 7-6(6) 6-2

Alek
Apr 20th, 2002, 02:18 AM
[1]Ferrer/Huubere def. Dulko/Torres 6-3 1-6 6-3
Conde-Martinez/Vicario def. WC Graf/Selles 6-7(10) 7-6(9) 7-6(10)

Mattographer
Apr 20th, 2002, 02:18 AM
Congratulations, Anjelica!! :D :D :D :D

Mattographer
Apr 20th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Hmm... Bryanne and Tiffani only can stopped Larisa and Marteena before Final at Doubles this year! :o

Scotso
Apr 20th, 2002, 04:53 AM

Q. Congratulations, Anjelica.

Q. A few weeks ago you were ready to throw in the towel in singles, and now you're in the finals of another tier 1.
DLC: Yes, it's good for me. It's given me confidence again that I can play the best and beat them. I'm very happy to have made it to the finals again.

Q. This is bittersweet for you, though. Your last tour finals, New Haven and Tokyo, you played and lost to Ferrer.
DLC: Yeah, I've never beaten her. For sure it's hard, and I hope that I can win tomorrow. I just don't know. It's so difficult for me to play her, because a mental edge. My game, I know it's good enough. It just comes down to believing I can win.

Q. Does this give you some confidence for Roland Garros?
DLC: Oh certainly, I think. I feel good on the clay this week. It's nice to be playing well again and hopefully I'll win won more match this week.

Q. Good luck, Anjelica.
DLC: Thanks.

Monica_Rules
Apr 20th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Well Done Larisa on getting to the final:D

Unlucky Paula you had a great tourny!:)

anabel
Apr 20th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Conde - Martinez / Vicario in the final

Conde-Martinez/Vicario def. WC Graf/Selles 6-7(10) 7-6(9) 7-6(10)

Q: Congrats Anabel, this is a great results for you and Sandy.

ACM: Yes it is, its just great to be in the final of a Tier I, i have played finals before, and i even won a title last year with Dulko, but thsi si different, its amazing to reach the final in a big & important tournament like this.

Q: It was a long and hard match, was not?

ACM: Yes. it was a match without end. You know its hard to play a tie break i get so tense in them, so imagine if you have to play 3 in a row.. anyway i am so happy we could win in the end.

Q: Sandy and you are getting success, will this team continue in the tour?

ACM: I hope so, i mean maybe we have different schedule, but if not we should continue as we are making great results.

Q: Tomorrow you will face the to seeds...

ACM: Yes, we know. But we are not afriad, they are the favourites we have nothing to lose, we have upset the 2nd seed so why cant we make it again? Lets see what happen.

Q: Thanks and good luck in the final

ACM: Thanks

Kris
Apr 20th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Conde-Martinez/Vicario def. WC Graf/Selles 6-7(10) 7-6(9) 7-6(10) :sad: :sad:

but Sabine and Jennifer will come back!!!

Lubidani
Apr 20th, 2002, 05:16 PM
So close for Selles/Graf :(

polishprodigy
Apr 20th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Aww, too bad for Torres/Dulko. But to reach the semi-finals in their debut at such a big tournament and to lose in three sets to the no.1 seeds is a great accomplishment. Dulko and Torres will continue their promising partnership. :D

jd4eva
Apr 21st, 2002, 12:37 AM
Turundzhov shocks field to win L'Oreal Classic!

14 year old Australia Daniela Turundzhov has stunned a field including 2 top 10 players to win the 1 million dollar L'Oreal Classic Exhibition.
The field headed by world no 2 Ruflina Taliamonosoko were shocked by the youngster, who recorded only 1 loss throughout the whole Round Robin Event.
The event in it's first year featured Taliamonosoko, Australian Marteena Huubere, American Tanya Hingis and Brazilian Gisele Noventz alongside Turundzhov. Played on the Green Clay of the Family Circle Cup facility, the event caused many surprises, as players fought eachother for the US$ 400,000 prize that awaited the winner.
The tournament started in a Round Robin format, with Gisele Noventz taking the early lead, with a win over Turundzhov. 2nd seed Marteena Huubere began impressively, with a staright set win over the Australian Open runner-up Hingis, 6-1 7-6(1). Huubere however couldn't keep the streak in her next match, up against her younger teammate, Huubere started well, dominating to lead 6-1. Turundzhov however managed to get her game together and after a close beginning to the 2nd, took the final 2 sets.
Top seed Ruflina Taliamonosoko opened against Hingis, and surprisingly fell, wasting 20 matchpoints in the 2nd set. A demoralised Taliamonosoko was left dumbfounded at her inability to win the final point, falling in 3.
Noventz upset Taliamonosoko on her way to the semis in Chareston, an effort she was hoping to repeat against Taliamonosoko, however Taliamonosoko had other ideas. After a fantastic beginning, Taliamonosoko slowed the pace but eventually picked it up to win 6-3 in the 3rd.
Before today, Turundzhov had never beaten Tanya Hingis, in fact she had lost 6 sets in a row to the American. Their last match just 2 days ago, where Hingis thumped the Aussie in straight sets.
Turundzhov however was full of confidence after her win over Huubere and set to work, winning the first set 6-4. She let the 2nd slip however but regrouped, to win 7-5 in the 3rd.
2nd seed Huubere kept her hope alive, with a no doubt weird 0-6 6-2 6-1 win over Noventz, only god knows where Gisele went in the last 2 sets.
Top seed Taliamonosoko then faced 14 year old Turundzhov, in a match sure to be pivotal to the outcome of the event. Taliamonosoko started in her usual fashion, like a deer in headlights, hardly giving Turundzhov a point in a 6-2 first set. Turundzhov however started to re-group, and after a close opening game, she amnaged to gain the upper hadn and win the 2nd 6-4. A cry of 'Come On' followed as she rolled to the 3rd 2-6 6-4 6-4.
Noventz kept her hopes alive with a 0-6 6-1 6-3 win over Hingis, however the deciding factor came down to the marquee match-up between Taliamonosoko and Huubere. Huubere opened spectacularly, hitting 21 winners in a 6-0 opening set, where Taliamonosoko won 1 point. However Taliamonosoko clawed back to take the 2nd 6-1, with 5 games going to multiple deuces. The 3rd set began the same, with the first 6 games taking 45 minutes, before Taliamonosoko wrapped up a 0-6 6-1 6-3 victory.

It was onto the semifinals, where Turundzhov received a BYE courtesy of her top ending position after the Round Robin, coincidentally, Huubere would have to face Taliamonsoko to make the final.
Many felt that the mental advantage would be with Taliamonosoko, who had just beaten Huubere 1 hr earlier. However Huubere dominated from the outset, wrapping up the first set 6-2 in 22 minutes. The 2nd set was much closer, a tiebeaker eventually deciding as Huubere went through 6-2 7-6(3).
Huubere, the Australian Fed Cup Captain was keen to eaxact revenge on Turundzhov, her younger counterpart. However Turundzhov started the better, taking a 3-1 lead before Huubere took the lead at 4-3. Howevere Turundzhov responded with a barrage of winners to take the set 6-4. Huubere however fought back to take the 2nd set 6-2 and took an early 3-1 lead in the 3rd. Turundzhov however managed to get her game back again and closed out a 6-4 2-6 6-4 victory in 1hr and 35 minutes.

Turundzhov after the tournament:

'I'm really happy I won, I can't believe it. We had such great players and I'm dead tired now (laughs). Hopefully I can keep the form up in the Fed Cup'

Final Results:

Round Robin:

Gisele Noventz (BRA) def Daniela Turundzhov (AUS) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(4)
2- Marteena Huubere (AUS) def Tanya Hingis (USA) 6-1 7-6(1)
Daniela Turundzhov (AUS) def 2-Marteena Huubere (AUS) 1-6 6-4 6-3
Tanya Hingis (USA) def 1- Ruflina Taliamonosoko (BOT) 0-6 7-6(4) 6-2
1-Ruflina Taliamonosoko (BOT) def Gisele Noventz (BRA) 6-1 1-6 6-3
Daniela Turundzhov (AUS) def Tanya Hingis (USA) 6-4 2-6 7-5
2-Marteena Huubere (AUS) def Gisele Noventz (BRA) 0-6 6-2 6-1
Daniela Turundzhov (AUS) def 1-Ruflina Taliamonosoko (BOT) 2-6 6-4 6-4
Gisele Noventz (BRA) def Tanya Hingis (USA) 0-6 6-1 6-3
1-Ruflina Taliamonosoko (BOT) def 2-Marteena Huubere (AUS) 0-6 6-1 6-3

Semi Finals:

Daniela Turundzhov (AUS) def BYE
2-Marteena Huubere (AUS) def 1-Ruflina Taliamonosoko (BOT) 6-2 7-6(3)

Final:

Daniela Turundzhov (AUS) def 2-Marteena Huubere (AUS) 6-4 2-6 6-4

PICTURES COMING SOON!

deftman
Apr 21st, 2002, 01:01 AM
Interview with Tanya Hingis

2- Marteena Huubere (AUS) def Tanya Hingis (USA) 6-1 7-6(1)
Tanya Hingis (USA) def 1- Ruflina Taliamonosoko (BOT) 0-6 7-6(4) 6-2
Daniela Turundzhov (AUS) def Tanya Hingis (USA) 6-4 2-6 7-5

Q: Were U happy with your perfomance here?
A: NO WAY! After winning both the previous exhos, it was disheartening to not even make the semis this time.
Oh well ,I'll try next time

Q: You lost to Marteena is your opening match .
A: I guess I really took myself for granted. I had Sanbulmar and had won all my matches including the final ,in the last exho.So overconfidence swept in,and I was no match for MArteena.

Q: Was beating Ruffy any consolation?
A: I dont know.A minor consolation maybe,coz I beat the top seed.But I could not make the semifinals which was disheartening.

Q: And yet another loss to Gisele
A: She's really my nemesis U know ......LOL

Q: What is your reaction to Dani winning?
A :Oh I think it's a great acheivement and she thoroughly deserves it.She beat the likes of ME :p,Marteena and Ruffy which is no easy achivement

Q :Thanks Tanya
A: Thanks :D:D

Becool
Apr 21st, 2002, 01:33 AM
Interview with Gisele after L'Oreal Exhibitions

Gisele Noventz (BRA) def Daniela Turundzhov (AUS) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(4)
1-Ruflina Taliamonosoko (BOT) def Gisele Noventz (BRA) 6-1 1-6 6-3
2-Marteena Huubere (AUS) def Gisele Noventz (BRA) 0-6 6-2 6-1

Q: You lost 2 times, are you sad about this?
NOVENTZ : A little bit. The matches were tough, and I had to give all of myself. I broke Ruflina to 2-1 in the third set, and I guess I could have continue my form over her, but it wasn't possible. She showed what a great champion has to do in this hours.

Q: And against Huubere?
NOVENTZ: Yes, another one which I never won. I played her in Amelia Island and Goldcoast, and she won. And she won again (laughs) She is a tremendous player, and very experient too. She knew how to take the control and took it. I admire her a lot.

Q: But also you had your good moments on this exhibitions. You actually defeated the actual champion and Tanya Hingis.
NOVENTZ: Yes (smiles)

Q: Tell me more about Daniela.
NOVENTZ: She is great fighter. I was lucky to win, as she leaded the third set, and I had to comeback. But she is a great promiss for Australia, and she is a nice girl. I never met Jelena her older sister, but Daniela is so lovely.

Q: Do you think she can enter on top 10 for example?
NOVENTZ: She defeated Ruflina and Marteena, so she can. Both are top 10, and Daniela played without fear. I think it's cause of the age, she is very young. But she will become more mature, and can be number one.

Q: And Tanya?
NOVENTZ: Yeah, another win on her (smiles). I'm happy that I could play good against her over all these years. She's a talented player, and when she's on she can do whatever she wants. See Australian Open for example. I'm happy I could overcome her.

Q: You should be happy cause you lost for the top 10 players.
NOVENTZ: Yeah, I guess so

Q: So congratulations Gisele. I hope you have a better luck next time.
NOVENTZ: Thank you :)

Alek
Apr 21st, 2002, 03:03 AM
Larisa Ferrer (GBR) def. Anjelica de la Courtiere (CAN) 7-6(4) 2-6 6-2

Alek
Apr 21st, 2002, 03:04 AM
Ferrer/Huubere def. Conde-Martinez/Vicario 7-6(5) 7-6(1)

Scotso
Apr 21st, 2002, 03:05 AM
Anjelica had only one thing to say, "Fuck Larisa Ferrer. I don't know how she wins but she must have sold her soul."

Scotso
Apr 21st, 2002, 03:10 AM
Anjelica de la Courtiere will play singles at Roland Garros, and that will be her last event in singles.

Mattographer
Apr 21st, 2002, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Scotso
Anjelica de la Courtiere will play singles at Roland Garros, and that will be her last event in singles.
Anjelica :sad: I wish you beat Larisa today... oh well...

Monica_Rules
Apr 21st, 2002, 12:03 PM
Bad looser hey scotso

Scotso
Apr 21st, 2002, 01:19 PM
Yes, I'm sick of losing to her, so what?

I'm going to continue to play doubles because it's fun for me. I'll play singles at RG.

anabel
Apr 21st, 2002, 03:35 PM
Damn we lost doubles final :sad:

BabsiFan
Apr 21st, 2002, 07:25 PM
:eek: :D :bounce:

wongqks
Apr 21st, 2002, 07:47 PM
Congrats Larisa, although now, you will have so many bonus points that it is impossible for anyone to beat you ;) , I still happy for you, hope you can forget what the mindless Angelica says and just concentrate on your tennis, everyone on the tour look up for you. I still cannot work out how you can win so many matches and not get upset at all but whatever it is you must be really bright.

martinafan
Apr 21st, 2002, 11:11 PM
Congrats to Larisa! :) :)

Marteena is delighted that you have won the title! :) :) And even more delighted that we were able to lift the doubles title. Again, marteena thanks you for playing with her this year. She is honoured to be your partner!

And let's hope we can continue this way! :) :) :)

Bad luck to Anjie and Anabel/Sandy aswell....

Scotso
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:09 PM
I had time to think about it and changed my mind. Finals of a tier one isn't bad, and while I still think Ferrer is an ass... I'll continue playing singles.

Monica_Rules
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:23 PM
:rolleyes:

Scotso
Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:20 AM
Too bad Jahfson didn't do more damage.