PDA

View Full Version : Report and photos from Wimbledon

ali
Jul 1st, 2005, 01:19 AM
I went to Wimbledon from Saturday until Wednesday night and wanted to share my experiences with you guys and hopefully some photos too (if I can remember how to do it!). I’ll try to miss out the boring bits so that this doesn’t get too long and repetitive, but I had such a great time and still feel on cloud nine so forgive me if I go on a bit! ;)

On the Saturday the queues we absolutely massive and I didn’t manage to get in on time for Mary’s singles match :sad: , but luckily there was still the doubles to look forward to. One thing that was really noticeable is how popular Mary is at Wimbledon; she always attracts a huge crowd and lots of support. Its actually quite nice that she isn’t always on the show courts because that way the real tennis fans get to see her play, and there were lots of her fans at all of the matches I saw. Anyway, the match was really exciting, both played great and I don’t mind admitting to being a bit shocked at how well they played against the defending champions. Mary’s serve was great, very powerful and she looked solid all the way through. She also hit some fantastic volleys and really seemed to be having a lot of fun.

After they won I made my way to the exit because I wanted to try and do better than my feeble attempt of talking to her last year! The other 3 players just walked off without being bothered by the fans, but Mary was swamped for autographs and had a security guy with her to help her past the crowds. She did sign a lot of autographs for people (she was so sweet, saying lots of thank you’s and your welcome’s – and she even had her own pen ready!) I didn’t say anything to her because I couldn’t really get that close – and I once again had lost my nerve a bit! :rolleyes:

Gosh, this is getting long already and it’s only my first day! I’ll cut out all the problems we had on the Monday, just to say that we didn’t get in! I was really disappointed but I managed to persuade the people I was with that we had to queue up for tickets overnight to see her play in the quarterfinals! Luckily one of my friends took pity on me and agreed, so we headed for the queue in the middle of the night!

After getting in on the Tuesday, I saw Mary at the practice courts with David. She was quite funny to watch because she only played for a few minutes and then took a rest! And then did the same again – at least she wouldn’t be tired for Venus! Like last year it was nice that whenever the other players walked past her to go to their practice court they all said hi to her. She seems really popular with everyone. Onto the quarters…wow! After the first set, I was nearly crying :o I really feared that we might have a repeat of the French Open final, she seemed really down on herself and had that look of "its just not my day". But I need not have worried. I don’t think I’ve seen Mary play so well before at Wimbledon, she was absolutely awesome :worship: . All the people sat near me started to cheer for her and were gasping at some of her shots. Anyway, we all know the result now so I won’t go on about the tiebreak, but I felt really proud of her performance. And in a strange way I wasn’t that sad about the defeat – she did herself justice on the big stage and won over some fans. When she waved to the crowd at the end she got a huge cheer :D

I then went to see her in the doubles but we only got one game before the rain came. But it was good to see her smiling again and she didn’t look too upset or disappointed.

Then Wednesday (phew – am I boring you yet?! :p ). Again I got to see her playing the doubles and again she played well. Within the eyeline of Court 3 are the score boards for centre and no.1 court and Mary often glanced up to look at the scores! I wonder who she wanted to win?! Her final service game was funny because she hit a DF followed by an ace, then another DF followed by another ace, and then the same again! She laughed and the crowd laughed, then she kind of sighed really loudly! :lol: It was funny – but she came through it. She actually held her service games better than Bhupathi and also hit some great volleys. I also have to say that she’s in amazing shape. I thought last year she looked fitter than people make out, but I think she’s lost a good few pounds. I was also impressed with how much her movement has improved, she was scrambling for balls that she would probably have given up on last year and won a lot of points throughout the tournament this way. Its obviously something she been working on because whenever she won a point this way she would have a huge smile on her face and would look over to her mum and David.

So that’s it for me for another year, but Mary is still there and in with a good chance in the mixed I think, I just hope the weather improves because otherwise I think she may get frustrated. The only thing that could have made the week better for me would have been if some of you guys could have been there too. Wimbledon is always such a fantastic experience and because Mary doesn’t often get put on the main 2 courts, you can get quite close to the action and see her play without having to queue overnight (QF not included!). Maybe next year?!

ali
Jul 1st, 2005, 01:21 AM
Okay, going to try and post some photos I took!

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/4409/warmup23bx.jpg

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/8188/serve5aw.jpg

ali
Jul 1st, 2005, 01:23 AM
Hope they worked :D Here's some more

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/2859/doubles2rx.jpg

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/4619/mary18ue.jpg

MissTennisFan
Jul 1st, 2005, 01:35 AM
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that with us, Ali! :wavey: What an awesome experience!

I think if I ever get a chance, I will try to go to Wimbledon to see Mary and some of my other favorites play... your story definitely makes me want to go! :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this! :wavey:

aimee20
Jul 1st, 2005, 02:45 AM
thank you so much :D

cakiteror
Jul 1st, 2005, 05:11 AM
Thanks,so,so Much!
You Were Not Boring At All!
If You Can Recall More Things,please Write!

saby
Jul 1st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks so much Ali, hopefully next week I will do the same for Fed cup....I cross my fingers

ashwu
Jul 1st, 2005, 11:18 AM
wow~ thanks so much for sharing these with us!

Andy.
Jul 1st, 2005, 11:50 AM
Thank you so much your story was great.

Mark Spruce
Jul 1st, 2005, 01:13 PM
Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!

What a great report and great photos !!!!!!!!!!

GOOD REP on the way

Mark

MaryPierceFan
Jul 1st, 2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks for you report. It's great! And thanks for the photos! You're amazing!

ali
Jul 1st, 2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks for your kind comments guys :) Like I said, the only thing that could have made the experience better would have been if everyone on this forum could have been there too!

Miss Tennis Fan - I really hope you'll make it to Wimbledon sometime, you'd love it I'm sure.

rsunderji
Jul 1st, 2005, 07:45 PM
thanks for that you're so lucky you were able to experience that.

stenen
Jul 6th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks Ali for those lovely pics.
French Tennis Federation have quite a few pics of Mary at Wimby on their website.
I already added the link in French connection but it doesn't hurt to put it here too. http://www.fft.fr/wimbledon2005/default.asp?page=5#

p.s. Please don't post these pics on this board because fft.fr and AFP are really touchy about it, thanks!

ae wowww
Jul 6th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the report :D You should have written more!! Great to see good pictures of our milf!! Congrats on the title Mary!