PDA

View Full Version : Mary in tight matches

MaryPierceFan
Jun 29th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Hi guys! I thought a lot about Mary's matches this year. I know it's a great season so far for her but I'm not talking about it. I want to talk about it that Mary sometimes has many problems to make use of her advantages in her matches. She wastes, squanders so many chances. In "big" tennis it's very important to make use of your chances. Sometimes Mary has many problems to finish a match or a set. Like yesterday against Venus. Venus plays great and she doesn't give many chances. But Mary had as much as 5 set points. She should have won it. With Pennetta she needs many match points, the same with Schnyder at RG. She led 5:2 and it ended 5:4; the same with Davenport - 5:0 to 5:2. Maybe it's not as important when You lead 5:0, 5:1 or 5:2. But when the match is very tight often one ball decides. In 2nd round against Vakulenko Mary had few 0:40; 5:3 in the 2nd and then tiebreak with the match ball; then 6:5 in the 3rd and she wasted it. I don't know if You agree but it's too ofen in my opinion. Mary in an excellent player but she has problems to finish sets, matches, to make use of her lead. Another problem - Mary in tiebreaks. I remember that probably in '99 Mary lost only 1 or 2 during the whole season and has a great record. But in the last seasons it's not very well. I hope it'll change. Mary is such a wonderful player that it's sometimes very frustrating that she squanders so many oportunities. When she plays a medium-level player she can eventually win but against players like Venus and other top players it's very important to make use of the oportunities because they don't give too many. I hope and I'm sure it'll be better this season in that kind of matches and Mary will show her class. What do You think about this?

NicoMary
Jun 29th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I really don't think that mary is a choker.....in fact she has a great level...but she is not the best (i'm sorry to say that) :sad:

when someone is stronger than her.....when a top player really dominates her...she has no plan B...no second speed...She can not always improve her game during a match...

But my comment is not a generality...when we saw Mary beat Dokic, Sharapova, schnyder or Davenport....Mary has proved that even when the other player is strong and put her in trouble, she can overcome..and win...:worship:

This second set against Venus was just amazing...this is one of the best set ever taht i've seen from Mary...:eek::worship::worship:it prooves that Now she is strong, confident and can fight against anybody...the only thing she has to do right now..is having fun even if she is in a really tough Match...fun is the KEY:hearts:

MARY is really really strong

MaryPierceFan
Jun 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Other comments? Don't You agree?

rsunderji
Jun 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I thinkt he more Mary finds herself in these positions against the top players the more she will learn from the experiences and hopefully will be able to put it away in the first opportunity rather than the fifth or sixth.