PDA

View Full Version : Japan Open grade-1 3rd Round and Quarter Final Results

lin
Apr 12th, 2002, 12:48 PM
3rd Round Results

Welford(AUS) def. (1)Bauer(NED) 1-6 6-3 6-2 :eek:
(6)Liu(USA) def. (12)Chan(TPE) 7-5 6-3 :sad:
(3)Sharapova(RUS) def. Hisami(JPN) 6-1 6-1 :)
(8)Miseviciute(LUT) def. (11)Laosirichon(THA) 6-1 6-2
Fuda(JPN) def. Lukaszewicz(AUS) 6-2 6-1
(4)Babos(HUN) def. (13)Julianto(INA) 6-2 6-4
(5)Tamaela(NED) def. Giltinan(AUS) 6-1 6-2
(2)Hsieh(TPE) def. Cupac 6-4 6-2 :D

Quarter Final Results

(6)Liu(USA) def. Welford(AUS) 6-3 6-3
(3)Sharapova(RUS) def. (8)Miseviciute(LUT) 6-4 6-2 :)
(4)Babos(HUN) def. Fuda(JPN) 6-4 6-1
(2)Hsieh(TPE) def. (5)Tamaela(NED) 6-4 6-4 :D

Rising Sun
Apr 12th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Good luck to Amber and Su-Wei in the SF. :D

ganymedeyu
Apr 12th, 2002, 05:05 PM
congras Su-Wei.......:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Poor Chin-Wei:sad:

Martian KC
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Congrats to Amber, Maria, and Su-Wei for getting this far!:D :bounce: Good luck to them in the semis.;)

It'll most likely be a rematch of Sharapova/Hsieh.:)

the cat
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Maria keeps mowing them down! Russian Lynx style! The change in countries and all that travel can'r slow Maria down. Udachi Maria!

Izzy
Apr 12th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Maria is on a roll.

P.S. Hello Cat. From Hoytie.

King Aaron
Apr 13th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Good Luck Amber and Su-wei !

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 13th, 2002, 09:09 AM
well done Masha and good luck girl :)

the cat
Apr 13th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Good luck in the final, Maria! Su Wei is very tough. Maria needs to be ready for a long match. But Su Wei is also in the doubles final. So that may drain Su Wei of some energy.

After their 2002 junior Australian Open semifinal, in which Maria defeated Su Wei in three grueling sets, Maria said in her interview that she only played at 50%. And that if she plays better the next time she plays Su Wei, she'll beat her "easy". I was surprised Maria said that. She is a very confident girl. Let's see if she can back it up. Udachi Maria!

Hello Izzy/Hoytie! What brings you here? Glad to have you.

auntie janie
Apr 13th, 2002, 01:59 PM
cat,

Maria's comments that, to you, reflect confidence, to me, reflect rudeness and a lack of any sensitivity whatsoever to the feelings of her opponent.

Because of Maria's age, it woudl be ridiculous to hold it against her, but I hope she will soon learn to tone down this type of remark about how superior she is to her opponent. It was this very type of comment that turned so many people against the young Williams sisters (who have now become very gracious).

And it makes me root for Su-Wei all the more, knowing that Maria publicly put her down in this manner. :D

the cat
Apr 13th, 2002, 02:43 PM
You're getting carried away, Janie! I was just showing how confident Maria is. She was taught to be confident at Bollettieri's. Maria is not a mean spirited girls at all. Mari did not intend to put down Su Wei at all. I can assure you of that. Maria was very complimentary of Su Wei in that interview. Sayng how tough she is, and how much Su Wei has improved. Maria is not like what you think she is. I'm sorry if I mis-represented Maria to you. Okay?

auntie janie
Apr 13th, 2002, 02:52 PM
cat,

If you beat someone and then avow that you were only playing HALF as well as normally, that is NOT a compliment to the player you beat! :rolleyes:

But don't worry, cat, I am not taking it too seriously. I was already rooting for little Su-Wei, who is a fave of mine. :)

Martian KC
Apr 13th, 2002, 03:35 PM
I hope Maria knows Su-Wei didn't play her best either!:rolleyes: She had so many chances, if she took them she would've won easily!;)

the cat
Apr 13th, 2002, 03:41 PM
I think Su Wei is going to be very tough for Maria to beat. Su Wei has great speed and court coverage. She gets alot of balls back. Which makes things tough for her opponents.

Janie, I also said Maria complimented Su Wei. I hope you change your mind and root for Maria.

lin
Apr 13th, 2002, 04:08 PM
I know Maria complimented Su-Wei, but I don't want janie change your mind and root for Maria this time ;) .

auntie janie
Apr 13th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Don't worry, cat, I know Maria is a not a snotty girl! I will root for her again very soon, I'm sure -- BUT NOT AGAINST MY LITTLE SU-WEI! :hearts:

Go Su-Wei!

the cat
Apr 13th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Janie, these were 3 questions asked of Maria pertaining to Su Wei, after she beat Su Wei 7-5 2-6 6-3 in the semifinals of the 2002 junior Australian Open.

Q. Maria, you must be pretty pleased with that. You had to fight hard?

A. Yeah. It was a very tough match, very tough. I battled it out. You know, it wasn't the best day of the tournament for me; but you know, I just played - I played, you know, at fifty perecent, I think; but I fought it one hundred, and it really helped me throughout the match.

Q. Is she (Su Wei) a frustrating person to play? She seems to take alot of pace off the ball?

A. I've played her - I played her, like a year ago, on clay, and I won in two sets. But she is a totally different person right now. She still does the same thing - slice, you know, and everything. But I think she has got alot tougher, and she's very tough right now.

Q. What does it feel like - obviously, beating a girl today who is really quite highly ranked, in WTA ranking, does that give you good confidence to what your game can be like if you were, say, playing the pro tour circuit?

A. Yeah, it does. And even tough I didn't play my best game today, if I play my best game tomorrow, or some other day, i will do better and I will beat her easy, you know. I'm very happy with the way, the way I fought today, and that was the very important thing. And, of course, beating a top player when you're 14 is great, you know. But I did - I can't let my mind go away and think, you know, "I'm very good", and everything; so I have to keep calm and just, you know, play my game.

P.S. - I would have posted the entire interview. But the url wouldn't come up. But it was a relatively short interview, anyway.

P.P.S. - Janie, I misqouted Maria by saying that Maria said if she played better the next time, she would beat Su Wei "easy". What Maria said was "if I do play my best game tomorrow, or some other day, I will do better and I will beat her easy, you know". You shouldn't hold someone's confidence against them. Especially if they think they will play their best tennis. Maria complimented Su Wei, too. I'm sure she has alot of respect for Su Wei.

auntie janie
Apr 13th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Okay, cat! Enough, already! :)

Please don't expect me to abandon my Su-Wei just because of your arguments. Can't we all have different favorites? I don't mind Maria!
But I AM ROOTING FOR SU-WEI, BECAUSE I LIKE HER!!! :bounce:

the cat
Apr 14th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Okay Janie! You win! And you think I'm too sensitive?

Good luck to both girls in the final!