PDA

View Full Version : Does Dechy Have A Chance Against Sharapova?

Freewoman33
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM
She took Davenport to 3 sets in Australia, and she has had some pretty decent results against good players. She's a fiesty player and a veteran who won't be rattled by the occasion or her opponent. Their first and only meeting was in 2002 or 2003 I think and Sharapova won quite easily. Can Dechy take Sharapova to three sets, or even upset the defending champion? I don't think so, but it'll be interest to see if Dechy shows up this time.

chris whiteside
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:22 PM
She took Davenport to 3 sets in Australia, and she has had some pretty decent results against good players. She's a fiesty player and a veteran who won't be rattled by the occasion or her opponent. Their first and only meeting was in 2002 or 2003 I think and Sharapova won quite easily. Can Dechy take Sharapova to three sets, or even upset the defending champion? I don't think so, but it'll be interest to see if Dechy shows up this time.

I'd love to think so, but no.

rightous
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Dechy to me has a belief issue, if she goes out there at leat believing she can do some damage she could

FLL
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I don't know why people like her and her game.. All the times I've seen her in interviews, she looked boring and speaking of boring... Her game sucks big time :yawn:

Sharapova 6-1, 6-3

SelesFan70
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Dechy is a very clean striker of the ball. She's in great shape, too. However, she hasn't done a thing since the Australian Open, and I doubt Maria will be in the mood to go 3 sets against her. Maria wins 6-4, 6-3

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:41 PM
There are two types of players who can bother Sharapova on fast surface.. Players with variety. Players who have the power and accuracy to blow her off the court ( and there is , admittedly, only one such player ). Dechy is neither. But until the match is over, she has a chance.

SJW
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:44 PM
absolutely not

selestribe
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I don't know why people like her and her game.. All the times I've seen her in interviews, she looked boring and speaking of boring... Her game sucks big time :yawn:

Sharapova 6-1, 6-3

I agree
She'd be pretty lucky if she manages to win 2 or 3 games

On the other hand I can't understand how some of you can wish she'd win on monday ... like Sharapova or not, she has a much more spectacular game than Dechy, no doubt about it ! If you like tennis and entertainment, go for Maria ! But if you prefer sleeping in front of your TV, support Nat ... :rolleyes:

jlamire
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:16 PM
I agree
She'd be pretty lucky if she manages to win 2 or 3 games

On the other hand I can't understand how some of you can wish she'd win on monday ... like Sharapova or not, she has a much more spectacular game than Dechy, no doubt about it ! If you like tennis and entertainment, go for Maria ! But if you prefer sleeping in front of your TV, support Nat ... :rolleyes:

Well I guess old vicious men and teenagers prefer girls like Maria...but I prefer by far Nathalie because of her personnality...I know most of kids will find her boring because they'd rather see players bitching each other and talking trash etc...
Anyway Nathalie is a wonderfull professionnal and you should show more respect you little boring poster ;)

selestribe
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Well I guess old vicious men and teenagers prefer girls like Maria...but I prefer by far Nathalie because of her personnality...I know most of kids will find her boring because they'd rather see players bitching each other and talking trash etc...
Anyway Nathalie is a wonderfull professionnal and you should show more respect you little boring poster ;)

That's your opinion, no need to react like a stupid hater because some of us don't appreciate your sweet Nat ... and you're talking about showing respect :rolleyes:
Anyway, I was talking about tennis man, you're talking about vicious men and teenagers ... quite off topic

selestribe
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM
But this doesn't matter, Nat has no chance against Masha ;)

mboyle
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM
There are two types of players who can bother Sharapova on fast surface.. Players with variety. Players who have the power and accuracy to blow her off the court ( and there is , admittedly, only one such player ). Dechy is neither. But until the match is over, she has a chance.

I assume Davenport is the player with the power/accuracy to blow Maria off court. On a hardcourt, yes. On a fast surface, no. Maria takes the initiative even earlier than Davenport. The problem on a hardcourt is that Davenport can still get there in time to smack an even harder shot even closer to the line. Maria doesn't always win those battles because she is not quite as accurate or clean as Davenport. On a fast surface, Maria goes even closer to the lines, and her shots are helped along by the speed of the court. This exposes Lindsay's movement. Still, I do believe Lindsay is the only player in this draw with the ability to take out Maria on grass (serena could have done it if she had been playing very well.) I just would not worry as much about that matchup as I would on a slower hardcourt.

hablo
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Nat has a chance... this is the world of sports, where sometimes the impossible happens !!! ;)

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I assume Davenport is the player with the power/accuracy to blow Maria off court. On a hardcourt, yes. On a fast surface, no. Maria takes the initiative even earlier than Davenport.

Did you watch last year semis? Maria was blown off the court just as much.

thelittlestelf
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Well if she finds that magical form that took Davenport to 3 in Australia and Sharapova has an off day, then she could take it to 3. Win? Unlikely to say the least.

thelittlestelf
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Did you watch last year semis? Maria was blown off the court just as much.Exactly. They've played 3 matches all of which Lindsay should have won if there wasn't a rain delay or she wasn't injured.

améliemomo
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:59 PM
nathalie can produce a very competitive tennis, worthy of the top10 like she did in australian open.If she can produce again tomorrow she has a real chance to disturbe maria.She has to try to play a clever tennis, not play in the same kind of tennis as sharapova,use her top spin against her, give some variety, slices, come to the net and volley.Maria is very tall and hates low balls, nat has to be really on her top.maria has some weaknesses and makes errors, sometime loosing her focus.Hope nat to be in very good conditions tomorrow.

Allez nat!!!!!!!!!

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Maria is very tall and hates low balls

That's why her best surface is grass, right?

améliemomo
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:23 PM
That's why her best surface is grass, right?

she is doing well on grass but you cant deny that she is not very good when she has to play low balls, for example at RG against justine who played with so much ability, maria had to run so much and each time she lost the point.Of course you will say that clay is not grass and vice versa but I think the "key" is the same.Not let maria taking the controle of a point because she likes to hit big strokes that put the opponent very far from the ball in the baseline, when maria is "on the control" after a very good serve its very difficult to beat her but if her serve is not "IN" like it was against srebotnik,all her game is changed.Then she is "vulnerable" and beatable.

we'll see if nathalie will be able to play a very complet and various tennis to surprise maria.Surprise her, thats one of the keys.

goldenlox
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Maria has won 20 straight matches on grass. She lost only 5 games against Dechy in 2003, when Maria was ranked about #200.
Maria's a lot better now.

Dechy also complained about Maria's grunting. Maria remembers that.
She'll be very focused for Dechy.

améliemomo
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Maria has won 20 straight matches on grass. She lost only 5 games against Dechy in 2003, when Maria was ranked about #200.

it was in 2003.Nathalie is better now too.The two players evolved.Maria is the last year champion, so she has some pressure,she can loose her focus and get nervous.

Nathalie has nothing to loose, she is not the favorite but the outsider,she can play her best with no pressure.Anything is impossible, its sport and we will see what will happen tomorrow.

goldenlox
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Anything is impossible, I'll agree with that.

*JR*
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I think you both meant to say "anything is possible". (Like Anna winning a title? Uh... no). :lol:

jlamire
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:41 PM

If there is something that Maria is never shy of it's focusing on her match. So Dechy or not I don't think it will make any difference for Maria.

goldenlox
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I think you both meant to say "anything is possible". (Like Anna winning a title? Uh... no). :lol:Roger, here's a radio station for you.
KHTKournikova - There's all news, all sports, now all Anna.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/images/teams/wttcapitals.gif KHTK Sports Talk 1140 AM, billing itself as "KHTKournikova" during the first full week of July when Anna Kournikova makes her marquee appearance for the Sacramento Capitals, is also presenting tennis talk with Caps coach Wayne Bryan.

Tune in on Wednesdays at 8:35 a.m. PST from June 22 to July 27 to listen to the 2004 World TeamTennis Coach of the Year. This is Coach Bryan's fourth year with the Caps and his twin sons, Mike and Bob Bryan, are the No. 1 doubles team in the world. Whitey Gleason and The Rise Guys will be the hosts, and KHTK is also the sponsored radio station for Kournikova's charity and marquee night on July 10th. GO CAPS!

sebbe
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:44 PM
not a chance, maria will probably crush nat

blumaroo
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Natalie has no weapons whatsoever. Maria will eat her alive. 6-2 6-2

ezekiel
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Dechy isn't so good. She is so average in every facet of the game. Should be a cakewalk for Maria

goldenlox
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:48 PM
If Dechy won, that would be good for Nadia. But I can't see it happening on grass.

RussiansFan
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Masha will win easily, I don't see Dechy having the weapons to bother her, expecially on fast courts...

Kart
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Anyone who has the ability to reach a grand slam semi has a chance.

However, personally I rated Srebotnik's chances against Sharapova more than I rate Dechy's.

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:08 PM
LOL She's NO hope of winning!

gmak
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM
NO!

BUBI
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Yes.

Ceze
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Perhaps ;)

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Funny how some of you give NO credit to Nat..even though she has been ranked in the top 20 for a while now. However, I do NOT think Nat will win....;)

Daniela¤Forever
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:32 PM
6-4 6-0.;)

VeeDaQueen
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Why do people not think Nathalie is good? She was 2 points away from a Grand Slam final :retard:

Daniela¤Forever
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Why do people not think Nathalie is good? She was 2 points away from a Grand Slam final :retard:

Nathalie is good, but Maria is way better.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:39 PM
No.

franny
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Ew I am so sick of people thinking that Davenport should have won those other two matches. Excuses excuses. Oh she was injured, oh it rained. It rains for both player, both players have to go through the same conditions. It's not like it rained and then Davenport came back and lost 6 straight games. Geez guys, way to take credit away from someone's victory. I have the match on dvd and I've watched it over and over. Maria just completely upped her level of play in the second and third set. I mean, if you watched the tiebreak in the second again, I think 6 of Maria's 7 points were from winners. You know what, nevermind. I'm done trying to get people to stop using stupid excuses as to why a player lose. If they lose, they lose. Let's just hope Sharapova and Davenport plays in the finals and then we will all see. But knowing you guys, if Davenport wins you'd say that it proves she OWNS Maria, but if Maria wins, you'd say, oh Davenport choked.

pav
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:46 PM
At least the match will last a while, they are both serial holder uppers, and piss around like old chooks serving and receiving, Masha will be hair behind the ears tucking, Nat will be last minute string checking,I'll be checking if My zip is up

baleineau
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:57 PM
anything can happen. maria could slip and break her ankle for instance.

AaronJoyB
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Dechy will lose 06 61 61

améliemomo
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I just checked the maria and nat last match statistiqs

nat played better than maria(both players stats)

dechy / sharapova

1st Serve %: 38 of 54= 70% 37 of 67 = 55 %

Aces 4 3

Double Faults 0 2

Unforced Errors [B]13 21

Winning on 1st Serve 25 of 38= 66% 26 of 37 = 70 %

Winning % on 2nd Serv 8 of 16 =50% 16 of 30 = 53 %

Winners (Including Service) 28 21

Receiving Points Won 32 of 55= 58% 30 of 61 = 49 %

Break Point Conversions 6 of 10= 60% 4 of 10 = 40 %

Net Approaches 6 of 8 = 75% 11 of 14 = 79 %

Total Points Won 65 72

Fastest Serve 104 109 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed 96 MPH 103 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed 89 MPH 90 MPH

Maria made more errors, less break points converted, nat has a better %of receive points.more powerful serve for maria.

if nathalie can play as she played against bondarenko(who beat golovin)and manage to stay such consistant miss sharapova will have some problems against her.

selestribe
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:31 PM

dechy / sharapova

Aces 4 3

Double Faults 0 2

Unforced Errors [B]13 21

Total Points Won 65 72

Maria made more errors, less break points converted, nat has a better %of receive points.more powerful serve for maria.

if nathalie can play as she played against bondarenko(who beat golovin)and manage to stay such consistant miss sharapova will have some problems against her.

You're kidding

JenFan75
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Dechy will win 6-4 4-6 6 7-5

Louis Cyphre
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Does Dechy Have A Chance Against Sharapova?

Nope :drool:

Dave B
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:46 PM

dechy / sharapova

Aces 4 3

Double Faults 0 2

Unforced Errors [B]13 21

Total Points Won 65 72

A recreational player could have stats like that on any given day. I wouldn't give them much of a chance against Maria.

Dawn Marie
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:06 PM
First of all I think Dechy has a nice game as she hits the ball cleanly and slices quite well. Not to mention she knows how to volley.

I think whomever serves and returns well, will win this match. Maria has the game for grass but Nath can be a tricky player. I mean she knows what to do with the ball and knows how to place it. If I were betting with my own money I would bet on Maria BUT I would not think that Dechy had no chance at all. Old school vet's like Pierce, Dechy and Likotseva are tricky players who are able to get a win over a top player every now and then.

I hope I can see a good match.

*JR*
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:32 PM
First, I've had great affection and admiration for Nat as a person going back a few years, came up with the Placid Parisian bit, etc. Hell, she's even been in a few dreams of mine (Pretty Platonic ones). ;) So I'd be ecstatic if she won big events (or matches like this one).

But the "flip side" of her AO SF is that she couldn't close the deal in that semi, against a clearly off-form Linzi. This is like citing Nat's bon ami Lefty Loo-wah being 3 points from that huge 1st round upset @ Oz '03 vs. a healthy Serena, B4 being "caught in the stretch". :shrug:

franny
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM

dechy / sharapova

Aces 4 3

Double Faults 0 2

Unforced Errors [B]13 21

Total Points Won 65 72

I think you have the wrong stats, or those stats are reversed for the two. Sharapova won 6-3, 6-2. How can Nat be 6/10 break point conversions when she didn't even win 6 games? That makes no sense.

G_Slammed
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Does Dechy Have A Chance Against Sharapova?

Nope, but Petrova does!