PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think One of Bridesmaids Kim, Amelie, Lena D Will Finally Win GS at Wimby 05?

pierce0415
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:26 AM
OK there are 16 women left but it is pretty clear that there are 9 have a realistic shot of taking the Wimbledon title. Of those, we can split into two groups.

PREVIOUS SLAM CHAMPS

Lindsay
Sveta
Nastya
Venus
Mary
Maria

and then there are the

BRIDESMAIDS

Kim
Amelie
Lena D

At Roland Garros, all 3 collapsed when they had a good chance to at least reach the final. I really hope that this is the Grand Slam that one of them can break through.

Fingon
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:31 AM
no

RenaSlam.
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Hm....don't think so.

StarDuvallGrant
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:33 AM
If I can't have Venus win, I am so rooting for Kim. I would love for her to get a slam and what a first slam to get.

Sam L
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:33 AM
No, they still won't be able to find husbands.

No Name Face
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:41 AM
i think kim will break through and win one this year...and maybe 3 over her career. lenaD will win one. amelie won't, IMO.

StarDuvallGrant
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:43 AM
i think kim will break through and win one this year...and maybe 3 over her career. lenaD will win one. amelie won't, IMO.

Which do you think Lena will win? US maybe?

Joana
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:01 AM
If Kim beats Lindsay I'd say she has a very good chance.
As much as I like Amelie, I've stopped hoping she'll win a Slam. So it's her turn to surprise me. :cool:
Dementieva will not win Wimbledon.

blumaroo
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Only kim has a chance.

No Name Face
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Which do you think Lena will win? US maybe?

Roland Garros is my first choice for LenaD.

cynicole
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:24 AM
As much as I like Amelie, I've stopped hoping she'll win a Slam.

Same here.

I feel confident that the winner of Davenport vs. Clijsters will face Sharapova in the final and have a very good crack at her.

(Then again, I've been known to be wrong A LOT.)

HotSpot
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:38 AM
they were born not to win Wimby... :p

miffedmax
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I've pretty much thrown in the towel, as I don't think Lena d. will get by her bete noire, Nastya.

Please don't kill me, fellow Lena fans.

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:13 PM
IMO, the Russians are way over-rated (apart from Sharapova). Therefore, of the 3 bridesmaids, the only contenders in my mind are Momo and Kim. But I don't see either of them winning.

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Quite possible. The likeliest one of them is Amelie, I think. But the draw is now SOOO top-heavy, that you just have to like Sharapova's odds.
Look at it this way..

Kim's possible path to the trophey:

Davenport-Kuznetsova-Mauresmo-Sharapova

Every player is either a recent Slam winner or very recent #1

Amelie's possible path:

Likhovtseva-Dementieva-Davenport-Sharapova

Dementieva's path:

Myskina-Mauresmo-Davenport-Sharapova

Every player is either a recent Slam winner or very recent #1

It is very tall order for Kim and Elena. It is somehat easier for Amelie.

Compare it to Sharapova's path:

Dechy-Petrova-Venus-Davenport

No wonder they shortened her odds of winning to 1-2. They are giving her almost 50% of a chance. By comparison, they give Clijsters less than 20%, Davenport - less than 15%, Mauresmo - around 10%, Venus - less than 10%, Kuznetsova - around 5%. Other's chances are considered insignificant.

hablo
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I still think Momo can win a slam :angel:

I think she has the kind of game that can trouble Sharapova :p

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I still think Momo can win a slam :angel:

I think she has the kind of game that can trouble Sharapova :p

Absolutely. She is a variety player, Sharapova does not like those. That is, if you take a choking tendency out of consideration..

lucashg
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I think that the winner of Davenport vs Clijsters will have a good chance at the title, barring injuries throughout the tournament. I think Kim can finally win her first slam if she meets Sharapova in the final. Amelie has the kind of game that can trouble Sharapova? Yes, but I don't see her beating Clijsters or Davenport unfortunately. Maybe she can prove me wrong and win it if Kim doesn't.

I doubt Dementieva will win a slam, especially Wimbledon.

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Each time she made a run to Slam finals so far, it looked extremely unlikely at R16. Next match is crucial for her. Her record in Slams R16 is not that good. But, if anything, she has never lost a GS quarterfinal. She is increasingly dangerous in the second weeks.

hablo
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Absolutely. She is a variety player, Sharapova does not like those. That is, if you take a choking tendency out of consideration..

I'm sure she is working on that...

I really do hate that word though -choking-, it seems no matter how she looses that word is applied to her :p :o

but ya, sharapova's draw has been lighted considerably :( she has a good chance to make it to the final!!!!! :mad:

hablo
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I think that the winner of Davenport vs Clijsters will have a good chance at the title, barring injuries throughout the tournament. I think Kim can finally win her first slam if she meets Sharapova in the final. Amelie has the kind of game that can trouble Sharapova? Yes, but I don't see her beating Clijsters or Davenport unfortunately. Maybe she can prove me wrong and win it if Kim doesn't.

you never know!!! this is tennis... did you really think Juju or serena would be out of the tournament by now ;) :lol:

I hope Momo proves you wrong too :p

thelittlestelf
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Idk... I wouldn't mind seeing Kim do it but she has her hands full already. If she beats Lindsay I think she has a great shot at winning the whole thing. In fact, I think she and Lindsay have the best chance against Sharapova of anyone left in the draw.

I think Kim would be fine in a final that didn't have a WS or Justine in it.

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Idk... I wouldn't mind seeing Kim do it but she has her hands full already. If she beats Lindsay I think she has a great shot at winning the whole thing. In fact, I think she's got the best chance against Sharapova of anyone left in the draw.

Any non-Russian from the top half has a decent shot against Sharapova, Davenport more than Clijsters or Mauresmo. Clijsters less than Davenport or Mauresmo.

mboyle
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Maria's good fortune is this: she has to face Davvy, Clijsters or Momo in the FINALS. If she had to face one in the SF, I'd be really REALLY scared out of my mind. However, Lindsay has a love affair with choking big matches these days, Kim doesn't show up in finals and Mauresmo doesn't show up at slams period, or, if she does, she remembers to exit in the SF round, so she won't even get to the final. Lindsay at least has proven that she CAN play her best tennis in finals, so all the Maria haters had better hope that she gets Davenport in that round.

cartmancop
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:56 PM
If Mauresmo plays Sharapova, she can win b/c she is the type of player Maria hates to play... But if Mauresmo were to face anyone else, she'd be the favorite & the choking would take over.

*Karen*
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:57 PM
I think they are all dangerous. Mauresmo in particular is playing very well just now and she doesn't have the pressure she does at RG. I still think sharapova will win but these three and Lindsay and maybe Kuznetsova are all contenders for the title

manu
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I think only Kim and Amélie have a realistic shot, I don't really see Elena beating Nastya, Amélie, Kim/Lindsay AND Sharapova. That's a bit too much I believe.

To me, the favourites for the title now are:

1. Sharapova
2. Davenport
3. Clijsters (/Amélie)
4. Amélie (/Clijsters)
5. Venus
6. Sveta

Explanation:

Maria is my favourite because she'll only face strong grass-competition from the semi's, and that is if Venus makes it and has played herself into form by then, which still is a big question mark. She's also one of the 3 best grasscourters left in the draw IMO, and with the best draw and playing well.

Lindsay has a tough draw, but has the best chances of all the players in the top half IMO, esp being the most experienced player and arguably the best grasscourter of the top half.

Kim has an equally tough draw, but if she can beat Lindsay, which will be VERY tough, I think she can also beat Sveta and probably Amélie to reach the final. I was thinking of putting her below Amélie because of her tough draw. But if she beats Lindsay, she'll be the favourite of these two I think, because of the confidence boost it would give her.

Amélie probably has the best draw of the top half contenders, and if she keeps this level up, she should be able to reach the semi's. And who knows what might happen there? If she could almost beat Serena last year, one shouldn't count her out against Lindsay or Kim. The pressure is low and even less people than usual are mentioning her, and she could benefit from that.

Venus is the best bet of the bottom half after Maria IMO. Her only tough match before the semi's would possibly come from Mary, and the grass gives Venus an advantage in that match-up. If she finally manages to go deep in a Slam draw again, that would certainly give her a big confidence boost, esp at Wimbledon. I see her challenging Maria then.

It's hard to see Sveta beating Lindsay/Kim and Maria in the finals, but after all, she only lost narrowly to Kim in Eastbourne. Maybe she needed her tough early round matches to play herself into form. I think she's definitely underrated on grass and maybe any surface.

I'd be very surprised if the title wouldn't go to one of these six, but of course you never know... I'm excited! :)

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I think they are all dangerous. Mauresmo in particular is playing very well just now and she doesn't have the pressure she does at RG.

If Mauresmo plays Dementieva in GS quartefinal, the result will be written on the wall.. :lol:

DEETHELICK
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Amelie has the best chance of the three based on her current draw.

Likhotseva isn't a bad draw. Lindsay in the next round could be tough, but if Mauresmo sticks to her guns, she has a shot. And Maria will be confounded by Amelie's spins.

Elena and Kim's fate lies heavily on their 4th round matches.

Elena D has a mental block against Nastya unfortunately. And Kim is facing an in form Davenport who is striking the ball so beautifully.

manu32
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:27 PM
maybe kim

Daniela¤Forever
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:18 PM
I think final = Kim vs Venus. Now that would be something to love:)

Kart
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:28 PM
No, they still won't be able to find husbands.

I'm not sure Amelie is too worried about that.

Dave B
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I dunno how well Momo's variety would work against Sharapova on grass, as Sharapova dislikes high bouncing balls the most--the slices don't bother her as much. Given that, Ameilie is still an excellent player, and is still a threat for the title.