PDA

View Full Version : Can Mary reach the Wimbledon semis for the first time ever?

Joana
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:51 PM
I saw her match today and unfortunately she played great. Huge serves, big groundies, painting the lines, good volleys. Pretty much didn't put a foot wrong.
The big question is if she can keep up such level of play. If she can, it wouldn't be so hard to imagine her being in the semis - she's facing Penetta next and then Venus (surely Jill can't beat Serena and Venus in a row, can she???!).
The way she played today she could beat both of them... But will she?
If she can, she would have her best Wimbledon result ever, which would be pretty amazing at her age.

darren cahill
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:08 AM
sure she can

Andy.
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Of course she can.

Kart
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Why stop with the semis ?

If she plays and beats Venus, she'd presumably be in with a shot against Sharapova.

RenaSlam.
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:15 AM
"EVERY 5 YEARS!"

Damn straight. Allez Meryl.

alexusjonesfan
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:16 AM
well you know according to that bizarre 5 year theory (and the theory that she loses a gs final before winning another one), this is the year she wins Wimbledon :tape:

Brooks.
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:16 AM
she has the talent and ablitity to win any match she plays........i hope that we get to have a mary-venus QF b/c both these women have shown so much class through the entire tournament and im just excited to see them both do well here.

Joana
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:18 AM
well you know according to that bizarre 5 year theory (and the theory that she loses a gs final before winning another one), this is the year she wins Wimbledon :tape:

That theory is holding up very well as for now. And honestly nothing would surprise me at this point. But still that would be hilarious. :haha:

cartmancop
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:21 AM
I think she can...but on grass, I would definitely give the edge to Venus. I'm not sure my Mary hasn't had more success @ Wimbledon in the past...maybe her fitness back then hurt her....anyway, I think Venus should take out Mary but you never know,...every 5 years:)

K-Dog
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:25 AM
As much as I love Venus, I have to be honest. Mary has a very good shot at the semis and perphaps the finals. Her play except for the 2nd round has been good. Venus' shots are not penetrating the court enough for my liking. I expect the Venus-Mary match (if it happens) could be a great three set battle!!

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I am confident she can win the title!

alexusjonesfan
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:54 AM
if she wins, wouldn't she be back in the top 10 for the first time in 5 years? :eek: As it stands, if she continues playing well, she's got a shot at making top ten by year's end anyway

cellophane
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:01 AM
if she wins, wouldn't she be back in the top 10 for the first time in 5 years? :eek: As it stands, if she continues playing well, she's got a shot at making top ten by year's end anyway

:yeah:

Havok
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Mary most definitely has a shot at making the semis. Her groundies have been on since Roland Garros and it seems as though she just hasn't let up, which is great to see. A few struggles here and there but for the most part she's crusing. Pierce's power is big enough to blast her way to the semis, but I think Venus would obviously pose the biggest problem for Pierce. The reason why Pierce hasn't done better at Wimbledon is that she isn't the greatest at playing low balls. She hits with incredible pace, but balls on grass stay so low, Pierce likes a more waist high ball and isn't as good when she has to hit the low ones.

JenFan75
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:04 AM
She has a good shot for the final IMO

Rtael
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Pierce will win the title. End. :)

Scotso
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Allez Mahree!

Gowza
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:13 AM
it would surprise me if pierce didnt get the win over flavia. venus a bit tougher but winnable.

10nisfanofruz
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:26 AM
I think that Venus has better shot to reach the semi.
However, who knows what will happen right?
Everyone expected Serena Vs Venus in 4th round but look what happened :rolleyes: :(

morbidangle
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:16 AM
One match at a time.. First I hope Mary beats Flavia. With Mary u just dont know.
Can she get to the semis.. yes she can, will she.. no idea. Venus on grass is still pretty tough.
Allez Mary!

manu32
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:38 PM
she can .....but i prefer venus for the final quality.....pierce is a good player but remember RG....

:Rawwb:
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:39 PM
She can! Lmao every five years!! She played great agaisnt Ivanovic who is no weak player, and the only criticism i would say is that she missed so many relatively easy shots on the important points...cough..choke...cough

starr
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't it be great if Mary made the final? :D

I've never been a fan, but the Mary fans are great, imo, and I'd love to see it happen for them and for this veteran who refused to quit when most everyone thought she should. :)

gmak
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:58 PM
sure she can! :)

allez ma'am!!!!!!!!

davidmario
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:18 PM
If she plays like she did against Vakulenko - No way!
I think Venus will beat her easy even if Mary has a good day.

Daniela¤Forever
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Um.. No. Three words: Venus and Maria.

Berlin_Calling
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:20 PM
If she plays like she did against Vakulenko - No way!
I think Venus will beat her easy even if Mary has a good day.

:retard: you mean like the Olympics last year?

Anyone know how many more matches itll take Mary to win for her to re-enter the top ten? She lost first round at Wimbledon last year so she hasn't had anything to defend so far this tournament ranked 14 coming in...

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Anyone know how many more matches itll take Mary to win for her to re-enter the top ten? She lost first round at Wimbledon last year so she hasn't had anything to defend so far this tournament ranked 14 coming in...

Venus was playing HORRIBLE last summer, and is playing better at this tournament. Plus, this is GRASS...Venus' best surface. I'm not counting Mary out, but no one should count Venus out either.

davidmario
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:27 PM

Venus played so poorly that day. Everyone would have won against her that day. These days at Wimbledon Venus is more confident...

Mary lost all her Ordina Open points (120?) from her win last year. She has to go really deep if she wants to be TOP 10.

Berlin_Calling
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Venus played so poorly that day. Everyone would have won against her that day. These days at Wimbledon Venus is more confident...

Mary lost all her Ordina Open points (120?) from her win last year. She has to go really deep if she wants to be TOP 10.

Im not saying Mary will definitely beat Venus, but you made it sound like Venus will rout Mary without breaking a sweat.

mboyle
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:37 PM

:lol: Venus didn't play any worse than she has been playing for the past two years. Venus strugged against Nicole Pratt. Venus hasn't been getting balls in court, and even when she has, they haven't been struck powerfully. I don't know. I might have to believe the "every 5 years" thing;) . But I really want Masha to repeat...

Hots4Safin
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Venus will NOT lose to mary...everyone better watch out for the elder Williams for the remainder of this fortnight. That means you too Sharapova. :devil:

saby
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Mary has to beat Flavia and Venus has to beat Jill.... After we will see !!!

EVERY 5 YEARS...

Rtael
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Um.. No. Three words: Venus and Maria.

Uhm... One Word: Dumbass. First of all, Mary doesn't even have to play Maria to make the semis...she would be playing Maria there, if Maria makes it. Second-of-all Mary is playing some of the best tennis she has ever played and Venus is playing some of the worst. Venus just lost to Sesil K. Who got beat by Elena L. who lost to Mary P. I know transitivity doesn't necessarily work in tennis, but it atleast has SOME merit.

cometz9
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I would give the edge to Mary making it to her first Wimbledon SF if she plays Venus in the QF. But we will have to wait tomorrow to see if Mary can beat Flavia and Venus can beat Craybas or not. Good Luck to both, i expect a great match if they are in the QF.

Mark Spruce
Jun 27th, 2005, 03:33 AM
I am in the group of

ONE MATCH AT A TIME

Mark

MistyGrey
Jun 27th, 2005, 04:49 AM
ONE MATCH AT A TIME PPL. Flavia is a tough opponent.

Good Luck Mary!

thelittlestelf
Jun 27th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Never count her out!