PDA

View Full Version : So Is Serena Still Going to Moscow for Fed Cup?

pierce0415
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I doubt she is going to go despite her saying she was earlier this week. Richard says she has ankle and knee injuries and should go home.

I would like to see Zina G bring on Shaugnessy as a backup singles player to replace Serena. So the USA will be Lindsay, Venus, Meghann and Corina.

The tie will probably be:

Lindsay vs. Sveta :boxing:
Venus vs. Lena D :speakles:
Lindsay vs. Lena D :explode:
Venus vs. Sveta :armed:
Lindsay / Corina vs. Nastya / Lena L :scared:

volta
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:16 PM
i don´t know i hope that she doesn´t go unless she is 100%

mboyle
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Lindsay will win both her matches. Who knows about Venus? Lena beat her last time, and Sveta's really really good, but so is Venus. It will all depend on which Venus shows up. If the Venus of the past year shows up, Lindsay and Corina had better be pumped, because they're going to have to clinch the tie.

pierce0415
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Lindsay will win both her matches. Who knows about Venus? Lena beat her last time, and Sveta's really really good, but so is Venus. It will all depend on which Venus shows up. If the Venus of the past year shows up, Lindsay and Corina had better be pumped, because they're going to have to clinch the tie.

Lindsay beating Sveta and Lena D on clay? :tape:

slydevil6142
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Venus has beaten Sveta on clay more than once....... Lena D could be a problem but if shes having injury problems she wont beat Venus. US should win this tie and rather handily to.

RenaSlam.
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:57 PM
That would be foolish of her.

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:05 AM
I hope not, even if she had done well here, I wouldnt have wanted her to go from the grass to clay to hardcourts like that when her ankle is crap.

Paialii
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Her playing in Moscow was still iffy before all that happened at Wimbledon, and I think that if she wants to have any shot at winning another title for the rest of the /year/, she needs to get healthy and get her technique down for the summer hardcourt season. I'd like to see a 100% healthy Serena at the Open.

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:09 AM
That's what I think is going to happen. Serena might go to Moscow just the same way as when she went to Delray Beach, to support the team with no real intention to play, or maybe, with a slight chance of playing doubles if needed.

Her chance of going and actually playing singles is no more than 5%, I think.

And, to think about it, I would not be surprised if Lindsay eventually does not go. Yes, she said it many times that she wants to go. But that intention does not take into account the possible events of next week. Will she be in the mood to go if she loses a heartbreaker to Clisjters? And she beats Clijsters? Then she will be an odd-on favourite against any other player she plays - and that includes the final even against Sharapova. If she loses it close to the end, it will be another heartbreaker - and she will definitely be tired or even hurt - as it always happens to her recently at the end of the second week of the Slams - because only one player at this point has tougher draw than her - her R16 opponent. And - if she ends up lifting the trophey on Saturday? I don't think she will want to lift racket for few weeks at least.. She would want to go home and celebrate - not go to Moscow and play on hated clay after being physically and emotionally drained. Overall, I don't think that she is more than 30-40% of going to play.

One player who I think is definitely going to go is Venus. She seems to be taking her tennis quite light-heartedly lately. She wins, she loses, she keeps on working , she keeps on playing. She is a very good trooper for Moscow battle. One thing that has always been certain for team tennis - you don't want to have a player with issues in your team for serious tie. That's why Russian captain refused to seriously consider players with issues for selection ( Dementieva last year, when she could not serve, Myskina this year with her family problems, Kuznetsova with drug story, Sharapova trying to cope with all she has to handle now oncourt and offcourt ). Serena has issues. Davenport might also not have her mind straight by the end of this week. I think most likely Zina will have to heavily rely on Venus.

manu32
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:41 PM
i don't know if fed cup is an interesting challenge....probably no....

selking
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Either way USA will win 5-0 or 4-1

starr
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM
From reading her statements about going to Moscow during this tournament, I had already formed the opinion she probably wouldn't go. Even if she hadn't lost, I would have been surprised if she had gone to Moscow. Now, I will be shocked since she didn't even mention Moscow as part of her schedule during her last interview and had to be reminded of it.

freemartha22
Jun 27th, 2005, 06:31 PM
has anyone heard any more about serena's status for fed cup? by now the team is normally announced with less than 2 weeks until play...i am curious to know who will be the 4th player if serena is not going...they always take four players and assuming that davenport, venus and corina are all going, who is the 4th?

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 27th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Serena needs to stay at home

ys
Jul 6th, 2005, 01:00 PM
:)