PDA

View Full Version : SI: "See ya, Serena"

Julia1968
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:07 AM
See ya, Serena
Unseeded Craybas ousts two-time Wimbledon champ
Serena Williams earned her seventh Grand Slam title in January at the Australian Open but hasn't won a tournament since.
AP

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- Two-time champion Serena Williams lost at Wimbledon one round shy of another showdown with sister Venus.

Still rusty following a layoff and slowed by an ankle injury, Serena was upset Saturday by fellow American Jill Craybas 6-3, 7-6 (4).

Williams departed hours after her older sister advanced to the fourth round by beating Daniela Hantuchova 7-5, 6-3. Venus will next play Craybas, who arrived at Wimbledon with a career record of 7-23 in Grand Slam tournaments.

It was Williams' earliest elimination at a major event since the 1999 French Open.

"I've never been one to lose well," said Williams, who fought back tears and dabbed at her eyes during a postmatch news conference. "I'm just used to winning these kind of matches. It's hard for me to go out there and you can't make a shot and you've been making them for years."

The match was scheduled as the last of the day on Centre Court, but because other matches there ran long, Williams and Craybas were moved to Court 2 -- the "Graveyard of Champions." Past losers there have included Andre Agassi, Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe and seven-time champion Pete Sampras in his final match at Wimbledon.

Williams made a late decision to play at Wimbledon following a six-week layoff because of a left ankle injury. Earlier this week she said for the first time that her ankle was slightly broken, but she declined to blame the injury for the loss to Craybas.

"I think I was better off staying at home," Williams said. "I shouldn't have lost this match. She didn't have to do anything exceptionally well. She just had to show up."

On a chilly, cloudy afternoon, other women's winners included Lindsay Davenport, Kim Clijsters and Maria Sharapova. None lost a set.

Two-time defending champion Roger Federer and 2004 runner-up Andy Roddick advanced in men's play.

Williams earned her seventh Grand Slam title in January at the Australian Open but hasn't won a tournament since, and it was clear from the start this week she wasn't at her best.

She was pushed to three sets in the opening two rounds for the first time at a Grand Slam event, and Saturday's match was just her fourth in 21/2 months.

Williams lost her first five service games and became increasingly frustrated as she fell behind. When she sent a swinging volley long to lose the opening game of the second set, she looked to the gray sky with an anguished expression, then tossed her racket.

By the end Williams looked exhausted, panting between points. But she continued to battle, shouting "Come on!" or "Yes!" almost every time she hit a winner.
She overcame a 4-2 deficit in the second set to lead 5-4 and 6-5, and was up 2-0 in the tiebreaker. On the next point Craybas' forehand clipped the net and dropped for a winner, starting a run of five consecutive points for her.

Williams pulled within 5-4, then put shots into the net on the final two points. Craybas leaped in glee and was met at the net by a gracious Williams, who smiled as they shook hands.

"I'm not sure if it has hit me yet," Craybas said, "but it feels real good."

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Nice win for Jill no matter what the circumstances. If you take the court you take the loss or win. Get better soon Serena and get some matches in before the US OPEN!!! Nobody likes a rusty grand slam winner except the competition.

Venus, take out the Serena Slayer!!!

volta
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:27 AM
wait a minute wasn´t Bye cya in the next Slam what u said Julia so early in this tournament?! xD

udachi Elena
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:32 AM
This is what i don't like about her.. just go in and say.. Jill played a great match..everyone knows you are injured.. you don't have to be like.. all she had to do was show up..I will win a wimbledon title before serena gives someone credit for beating her.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:34 AM
This is what i don't like about her.. just go in and say.. Jill played a great match..everyone knows you are injured.. you don't have to be like.. all she had to do was show up..I will win a wimbledon title before serena gives someone credit for beating her.

Sometimes the truth hurts. I'm sure Jill doesn't care so why do you? All that matters is that Jill has that W by her name not how or why its there.

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:35 AM

That’s what I love about her. She’s so magnanimous in defeat. LOL

Paneru
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:35 AM

Why lie!

Jill do nothing spectacular,
simply got balls back and won
on Serena's errors.

Brooks.
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:36 AM

but i mean what top player does........does elena......i havent heard her.......i would like to see a quote of her losing where she didnt blame it on her serve or whatever problems she had........kuznetsova?....mauresmo?.....justine?.. .....lets face it......all the top players do this but of course you only point it out for serena

StarDuvallGrant
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:37 AM
That’s what I love about her. She’s so magnanimous in defeat. LOL

It's definitely something you love about her to the point of obesession. You can't get Serena off your mind :lol: The title of the thread is so fitting because you will be seeing Serena, I doubt you'd miss any of her matches, interviews, etc. :lol:

StarDuvallGrant
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Why lie!

Jill do nothing spectacular,
simply got balls back and won
on Serena's errors.

Because udaci elena needs to sleep better at night knowing what Serena thinks. This coming from a fave who has no problem speaking ill about other players and concocting family conspiracy theories when she gets beaten by one sister. Yeah, udaci elena is a person who can sit and judge :haha: The usual typical hypocrite. Classic.

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:40 AM
It's definitely something you love about her to the point of obesession. You can't get Serena off your mind :lol: The title of the thread is so fitting because you will be seeing Serena, I doubt you'd miss any of her matches, interviews, etc. :lol:

I did NOT miss today's match that's for sure!

StarDuvallGrant
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:42 AM
I did NOT miss today's match that's for sure!

But of course you wouldn't. You have to be on top of what Serena does, what she says. You wouldn't be able to go about your day on the regular if you didn't :haha:

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:44 AM
But of course you wouldn't. You have to be on top of what Serena does, what she says. You wouldn't be able to go about your day on the regular if you didn't :haha:

It's apparent in your case the wheel is still spinning but the hamster died.

Joana
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:44 AM

I did not see the match but frankly I can't possibly imagine Jill outplaying Serena on grass (or any surface for that matter) so I believe Serena wasn't wrong there.

StarDuvallGrant
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:45 AM

Wow, what a comeback. Pat yourself on the back and get a cookie :yeah:

Justeenium
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Sometimes the truth hurts. .

And the truth is... that you are just another dumb SerenaW fan. :haha:

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:49 AM
And the truth is... that you are just another dumb SerenaW fan. :haha:

LOL

RenaSlam.
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Good for Jill. She's a nice player and person and can't complain with another American going through to the 4R. Good for her.

Serena, you need some help. Get your priorities straight.

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Good for Jill. She's a nice player and person and can't complain with another American going through to the 4R. Good for her.

Thank Allah for the voice of reason!

Fingon
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Really, I don't know what's the problem with Serena speaking the truth.

I don't like Serena, but she is one of the best players on the tour. I don't know what her problem is, whether it's lack of motivation, injuries, rustiness or a combination of factors, she isn't obviously playing like she can.

Give me a break, if Serena had said that Jill beat her by playing a great match she would have been lying. It's obvious to anyone that Jill Craybas cannot beat a healthy and motivated Serena, not on grass (not on snow either if you ask me), this is not disrespectful towards Jill, it's simply the truth, they are in different universes in terms of tennis ability, so if Jill Craybas won, I know something is wrong with Serena, I don't need Serena to tell me that and if she had said otherwise I wouldn't have believed her.

Some time, political correcteness makes me want to puke, screw that, every time it makes me want to puke, one of the few things I like about Serena (besides her breasts) is that she isn't fake, she says what she thinks and if somebody doesn't like it or feels hurt by her comments, too bad.

hotandspicey
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:02 AM

I don't like Serena, but she is one of the best players on the tour. I don't know what her problem is, whether it's lack of motivation, injuries, rustiness or a combination of factors, she isn't obviously playing like she can.

Give me a break, if Serena had said that Jill beat her by playing a great match she would have been lying. It's obvious to anyone that Jill Craybas cannot beat a healthy and motivated Serena, not on grass (not on snow either if you ask me), this is not disrespectful towards Jill, it's simply the truth, they are in different universes in terms of tennis ability, so if Jill Craybas won, I know something is wrong with Serena, I don't need Serena to tell me that and if she had said otherwise I wouldn't have believed her.

Some time, political correcteness makes me want to puke, screw that, every time it makes me want to puke, one of the few things I like about Serena (besides her breasts) is that she isn't fake, she says what she thinks and if somebody doesn't like it or feels hurt by her comments, too bad.Thank you!!!!:yeah:

Kart
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Presumably it's not so much what she said as the way she said it.

In this instance though, she seems to have said it just fine to me.

darren cahill
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:05 AM
well to me, Jill did what two prior players couldnt do, so she did something right. i dont buy the "all she had to do was show up' cause Angela showed up and so did Montreigo or whoever that was.

Jill played

roarke
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:07 AM
A bunch of (R) jerks congratulating themselves over a successful tennis player's loss. Wow! They must really live such fulfilling and interesting lives that Serena's defeat can give them such a feeling of success!

Sam L
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Serena's just cold right now, she'll get hot again soon enough. The thing is Serena is one of the best, if not the best player, on tour. We all know that. And we all know she'll win slams again. But I'm not sure if she'll threaten the all-time greats like Graf and Wills with her inconsistency. And that's a shame because she could've threatened them. But she'll win many more yet, believe me.

icequeen
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:14 AM

You serena fans are all a damn bunch of phonies...I think Serena should be commended for playing seeing how she is injured. The girl damn if do and damn if she don't. If she had not shown up you all will be talking shit, she showed up to play and you are still talking shit.

Please tell me what help Serena needs? also, tell me how much can you do on an injured ankle. I think some of you all need to get your priorities stright.

I remember a couple of months ago someone started a thread "why can't Serena play with an injury" because kim was playing with one....now the girl played with a bum ankle and lost she is being critize. When Kim lost because of her injury it was an entire different story she got all the sympathy but now Serena is suppose to get her priorities stright. Even double standards from her own so call fans.

StarDuvallGrant
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:15 AM
IceQueen, don't generalize, if you have a problem with someone, address them specifically.

Veenut
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Fine with me that you don't like her but what I don't get is the satisfaction in stating empty words that you don't mean? Everyone who whatched knows deep in their hearts what happend, therefore why should Serena say she played a great match when it didn't happen? I'm sure not even Jill herself believed this even if Serena had said it. What credit does she deserve to get more than she is on to the next round. Frankly this giving credit issue is so over the top and meaningless IMO. You are entitled to be happy that Serena lost without any justification. :confused:

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:18 AM
You serena fans are all a damn bunch of phonies...

Please.......

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:19 AM
It's the end of the road for Serena.

icequeen
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:19 AM
IceQueen, don't generalize, if you have a problem with someone, address them specifically.

I did..the post was to that individual I replied to. Just ignore the "you all" in the post.

Brooks.
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:20 AM
You serena fans are all a damn bunch of phonies...I think Serena should be commended for playing seeing how she is injured. The girl damn if do and damn if she don't. If she had not shown up you all will be talking shit, she showed up to play and you are still talking shit.

Please tell me what help Serena needs? also, tell me how much can you do on an injured ankle. I think some of you all need to get your priorities stright.

I remember a couple of months ago someone started a thread "why can't Serena play with an injury" because kim was playing with one....now the girl played with a bum ankle and lost she is being critize. When Kim lost because of her injury it was an entire different story she got all the sympathy but now Serena is suppose to get her priorities stright. Even double standards from her own so call fans.

:unsure: :cuckoo: :bs:

SelesFan70
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:23 AM

I don't hear BoysIIMen singing... :shrug: We all know Serena was less than her best, but Jill did what had to do...get enough balls back and strike a winner when given the opportunity. It's not like Serena didn't have her chances in the 2nd set ya know. :wavey:

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:36 AM
I don't hear BoysIIMen singing... :shrug: We all know Serena was less than her best, but Jill did what had to do...get enough balls back and strike a winner when given the opportunity. It's not like Serena didn't have her chances in the 2nd set ya know. :wavey:

She's like Monica. Stick a fork in her she's done!

Rocketta
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:44 AM

why are you responding to her like she actually has a grip on her mental faculties? :confused:

Veenut
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:49 AM

Some time, political correcteness makes me want to puke, screw that, every time it makes me want to puke, one of the few things I like about Serena (besides her breasts) is that she isn't fake, she says what she thinks and if somebody doesn't like it or feels hurt by her comments, too bad.

Well stated and I concur!!! No one should have to rely on false statements in order to feel good about their accomplishments. I for one couldn't careless who give credit to whom, one just have to accept the realities and move on.

switz
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:53 AM
they do press conferences to find out what happened so the media can report on it - not so we can have a nice cushy wta family were everyone is nice and says the right thing.

i think on occasions serena has not given her opponents enough credit when she loses but seriously it would just be so fake to say "Jill was just too good and i couldn't beat her" because that would just be so fake - especially on grass.

we take the political correctness way too far on this board and it's funny how it's always the same people (that is person) who does it.

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:57 AM
At least Serena had the decency to admit she LOST to the better player on the day!

Veenut
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:59 AM

Shouldn't you be more focused on Mary?

Even if your wish should come true, it has been a great and wonderful journey for her and her fans!!! :worship:

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Shouldn't you be more focused on Mary?

Even if your wish should come true, it has been a great and wonderful journey for her and her fans!!! :worship:

Serena is my 2nd favourite.

And shouldn't you be more focused on Venus?

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:04 AM

don't say that that is mean

Veenut
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:05 AM
At least Serena had the decency to admit she LOST to the better player on the day!

Does this mean that you will now have some closure? You seem to be taking Serena's statements very hard. :lol:

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:11 AM
What the hell is wrong with you. You must be White or anythign but black and Hispanic because a typical white racist would say this shit. Keep your ahit to your self. No yo ass an made me mad dont put on no shitty ass 2 cent mouth piece and talk your shit. If you don't like Serena don't say any shit

YOU should delete this post immediately!

How DARE you insult me with by refering to me as RACIST!

Of course YOU can OFFER PROOF where I have posted RACIST cooments - CAN YOU?

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Well no I can't but you shouldn't say things about people like that. What if u was Serena and Serena was u. How will yo ass feel. But all the rest of my *comments*
i had said I ment

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Well no I can't but you shouldn't say things about people like that. What if u was Serena and Serena was u. How will yo ass feel. But all the rest of my *comments*
i had said I ment

I will be reporting your racist comments to the administrators on this forum.

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:30 AM
and I will reporting your rude comments towards Serena

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:31 AM
there not rasict comments they were sayign that I thought u were a rasict because of what you said towards Serena

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:34 AM
there not rasict comments they were sayign that I thought u were a rasict because of what you said towards Serena

And I told YOU to provide 1 post I have made that has racist overtones? And YOU have NOT because there are not any!

Serena would be sickened to have persons like YOU claiming themselves to be her fans!

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:36 AM
no I Kar16d are myself and how can I log out and log on in 3 min think

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:38 AM
No I don't think she would I play like her and I am very suportive let's just drop this whole convo and call it truse

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:45 AM
No I don't think she would I play like her and I am very suportive let's just drop this whole convo and call it truse

Are you apologizing?

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:47 AM
no i'm saying im tired of arguing you have your thoughts and I have mine so let's just stop arguing for something happens

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:53 AM
no i'm saying im tired of arguing you have your thoughts and I have mine so let's just stop arguing for something happens

So! You do not possess the graciousness to apologize. No surprise there!

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:57 AM
I do waht to say I am sorry but I don't know how you will take it but I will say that I'm sorry I lashed out at you. I just have to realize that you just don't like Serena. But please wheather u do or not please don't do things like that

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:58 AM
and i do posses the graciousness

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:02 AM
and i do posses the graciousness

Then why has there not been an act of contrition forthcoming?

All I ask was YOU delete the offending post - which YOU did not.

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:04 AM
THERE I DID delete the Post HAPPY

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Can this thread be locked already?

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:17 AM
really please

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Can this thread be locked already?

All you fuckers are RACIST, just like most WHITE PEOPLE!!

<race brought into thread. now lock please, thanks> :angel:

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:18 AM
an amen to that

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:19 AM
THERE I DID delete the Post HAPPY

No I am NOT happy.

I am saddened when a fellow poster makes unjust accusations about a fellow poster without proof.

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:20 AM
okay what is your problem i just apalogized(sorry for my spelling) for saying those remarks okay and stop using big words Im sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:21 AM

Beware!!!!

He's the reason brothers and sisters shouldn't marry.

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Beware!!!!

He's the reason brothers and sisters shouldn't marry.

yeah becos then you come out like this: :retard:

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:23 AM
what the hell do you mean brothers and sisters

Julia1968
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:23 AM

And you wonder why? :rolleyes:

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:24 AM

lol, dont take the bait, race-baiter! thanks :D

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:25 AM

Julia - There’s no point reasoning with them they just get off on hate!

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:26 AM
oh shut up

Tennis Fool
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:26 AM

Well, Serena did admit that she doesn't take losses well :shrug: I think she must have felt extremely vulnerable to say that.

Julia1968
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:27 AM
lol, dont take the bait, race-baiter! thanks :D

Other than your other ignorant friend, you were the only person race baiting. But then again, that's all you have as an excuse for your inability to succeed in life. Always an excuse.

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Other than your other ignorant friend, you were the only person race baiting. But then again, that's all you have as an excuse for your inability to succeed in life. Always an excuse.

lmao, you took it!

*dead*

Kar16d
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:29 AM
ignorant oh please

udachi Elena
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Thanks for all the bad reps, mature. If i don't like her why do you care? I didn't say she's a bad player, i don't like how she NEVER gives credit to anyone, not just craybas..other players do it as well, never said they didn't.

Crazy Canuck
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:31 AM

Wow. This may well be like, the best line ever.

Marry me.