PDA

View Full Version : Teen starlets all gone

clonesheep
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Golovin, Karatantcheva, Vaidisova, Ivanovic. All the hype but no impact at all at Wimbledon and it's only 3rd round. Comments?

Melly Flew Us
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:23 PM
no grass court pedigree.

most will do better next year, if they are still around.

jfk
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Similar to Sharapova last year...they just need another year. Except for maybe Golovin..she's had chances and seems to be regressing.

Ceze
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I didnt know that Ana is older than Tatiana! I have just noticed that today, she is 2 months older (87 Nov for Ana, 88 Jan for Tati)!
I think all these young "starlets" will achieve great things next years! (and perhaps in September at US Open?)

gmak
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:46 PM
nicole didn't do badly ;)

she'll be much better next year :)

Derek.
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Golovin - Hasn't been in the best of form lately. I'm sure she will pick it up soon.

Karatantcheva - She had to face Sharapova in 2R! HELLO!?!

Vaidisova - Still getting used to the bounce on grass. She did pretty good. Should have beaten Kuznetsova in straight sets! I think she can win this tournament in the future.

Ivanovic - Had a minor injury and didn't play any warm-ups. I think she can win this tournament in the future as well.

Joana
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:38 PM
For all except Golovin this was the first Wimbledon appearance. And all except Golovin played tough opponents.
BTW, I don't mean to bash Golovin this way, I'm pretty sure she'll bounce back from this mini-slump she's in right now.

xan
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:59 AM
All four mentioned in the 1st post are talented and have a future, but we can't tell yet whether any will make it to Top Ten status for any length of time.

rightous
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Well they probably have played less on grass than any other surface so it might take them longer to adjust

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Similar to Sharapova last year...

Similar in which way? :confused:

Lemonskin.
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:16 AM
So Sharapova is no longer a teen starlet?

Lemonskin.
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:16 AM
And Kuznetsova?

blumaroo
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Ana and Nicole will make it big. Trust me on that.

MissJessou
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:48 AM
I think those girls did'nt had enough experiences to perform well at Wimbledon this year, except for Golovin. I'm sure they will have a better result next year! ;)

Davenselesport
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Every time I go to a match watching the 'up and comer' they seem to fall into a slump :sad:

-Hantuchova in 2003
-Dokic in 2003
-Golovin in 2005

sorry people! :wavey:

Gowza
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:39 AM
golovin and karatantcheva i never really rated as prospects to get to the very top (top 5 or 10, but sesil did do well at RG so maybe on clay she will be a great player). vaidisova wasnt disappointing because she didnt do well in the lead up tournaments and hasnt really had a breakthrough at a slam anyway, her game could trouble players on grass being so big but ovbiously she doesnt feel comfortable on it, just needs more practice on the stuff. ivanovic was a bit disappointing after doing so well at RG, but lost to the runner up of this years RG who is in really good form so the loss wasnt so disappointing because of who she lost to.

jfk
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Similar in which way? :confused:
In that Sharapova made the fourth round at Wimbledon in her first year playing GS main draws. Ivanovic and Vaidisova made the third round, so by next year, if they follow a similar path, they should go deep into the second week. Vaidisova is also 2 years younger than Sharapova, so that would work out timewise. Ivanovic has already had GS success at RG, so her path is different.

Andy.
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Remember Maria S is still Ivanovics age and and she is still in the tournament i think people forget that they are the same age some times. She is still so young

I<3Tati
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Not tryin to make an excuse for Golovin, but she has an ankle injury, so that might have been a factor in her play.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Sesil is sooooo young and drew Masha in the 2nd round!! She is so excused! As is Vaidisova. I don't care for her, but the girl is pretty young. I think she did well!

Tati, I think she needs to improve her fitness and shed some 10 pounds. She looked really really promising last year, but she still hasn't head a *spectacular* kind of break through. I hope she goes really deep into the US Open and surprises everyone or something.

Ivanovic IS Maria's age pretty much. Maria has accomplished way more than her, obviously--9 titles I believe including grandslam and year-end champs. She's had amazing accomplishments, so I think it is too late for Ivanovic to even compare to her in the teen starletness. Ivanovic is a good up-and-comer, but I don't think she's such a "young starlet"

Jakeev
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:07 AM
So Sharapova is no longer a teen starlet?

No I think it's Teen Queen now.

*Karen*
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Third round is good for a wimbledon debut. Look at who they all got beat by - Mary Pierce who is in top form just now, Maria Sharapova who is defending the title and probably the best player on grass and Svetlana Kuznetsova who is a top ten player and who Nicole but up a good fight against.

Harju.
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Golovin has not been in form? :shrug:

People are forgetting that she has an ankle injury that is pretty serious that has affected her play since RG.

She reached semifinal of Birmingham before losing to Sharapova last week.
Last year she made it to the 4th Rd of Wimbledon on her first appearance before losing to Serena.

And this season, her only bad loss was to Spears at AO and perhaps to Peng at Strasbourg. All her loses to top players like Dementieva, Myskina, Henin, Schnyder have all been 3 sets or 2 tight sets. True, she might not have beaten any good player this season but it's not like she has a bad season either. With Wimbledon and AO (4th Rd), Paris (SF) and Birmingham (F) points taken off, she is still in the top 25. Not too bad, me thinks.

Golovin also became one of just three players to reach semifinals on all four surfaces this year. She was a semifinalist at Gold Coast on hard court, at Paris [Indoors] on indoor carpet, on the clay at Charleston, and now on grass at the DFS Classic. The other players are Sharapova and Davenport.

vutt
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Every time I go to a match watching the 'up and comer' they seem to fall into a slump :sad:

-Hantuchova in 2003
-Dokic in 2003
-Golovin in 2005

sorry people! :wavey:

Dokic wasn't "up and comer" in 2003. It was her fifth year on WTA tour...
I guess you have not watched tennis that much... :wavey:

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Most of the young players dont have experience on grass so they wouldnt do well at Wimbledon. Vaidisova didnt do too badly though, and Mirza too, but they both had to play a top player.

mboyle
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:44 PM
And Kuznetsova?

Sveta is officially 20.

mboyle
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Tati, I think she needs to improve her fitness and shed some 10 pounds.

No, are you serious? Tati is a stick. If she lost 10 lbs she'd be the next Hantuchova of 03:o :sad: .

Ivanovic IS Maria's age pretty much. Maria has accomplished way more than her, obviously--9 titles I believe including grandslam and year-end champs. She's had amazing accomplishments, so I think it is too late for Ivanovic to even compare to her in the teen starletness. Ivanovic is a good up-and-comer, but I don't think she's such a "young starlet"

Ana is 7 months younger than Maria. Tati is 9 months younger than Maria. Not everyone can compare to Maria. Ana and Tati are both doing far better than Kuznetsova did at that age.

clonesheep
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:57 PM
I am afraid to say this, but after failing to breakthrough (i.e., at least making a QF of a slam) for one and a half year since the hype began, Golovin is no longer a rising star in my book. She will do well enough to hang around top 20 or 15 that's my prediction.

Karatantcheva has had some bad luck (drawing Kuznetsova 1st round at USO 04, Sharapova 2d round at AO 05, and again Sharapova 2rd round at Wimby 05), but she also had good luck at FO 05 that made her to the QF. So, luck evens out. My concern, however, is that she is not mentally tough. The meltdown at FO QF and this Wimby againt Sharapova is disappointing. She also lack consistency and a big weapon -- speed and anticipation is good, groundstrock is good but not yet top 10 material; serve is weak. I will give her another year before further judgement.

Vaidisova has not lived up to the hype. Again, making at least QF of a slam is the benchmark that she failed to clear. More troubling is that she has not had any significant career victory against top 10 players. Everytime she faces a noted veteran or a player ranked higher at an important event, she lost. Ivanovic at least beat Mauresmo and Sesil beat Venus at a grand slam event. There is none for Vaidisova. If this continues for a couple more slams I just have to write her off.

Late bloomers are relatively rare in women's tennis. Great champions usually show exceptional skill and mental fortitute at a yound age. Just think Graf, Seles, Capriati, Hingis, the WS. Justine and Kim have their success a bit late but their skills were much talked about even before that. My feeling is that none of these 4 "starlets" measure up to these great players. Not now, and likely not in the future.

ezekiel
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Sesil is sooooo young and drew Masha in the 2nd round!! She is so excused! As is Vaidisova. I don't care for her, but the girl is pretty young. I think she did well!

Tati, I think she needs to improve her fitness and shed some 10 pounds. She looked really really promising last year, but she still hasn't head a *spectacular* kind of break through. I hope she goes really deep into the US Open and surprises everyone or something.

This is her first year on tour, first wimbledon, first grass event and she isn't young at 17? :eek:

Maybe your standards are skewed toward Bollatieri factory of "young starlets" where they push them on the tour at 15 or even 14 years?
Your favourite Miss Sharapova was just another "teen starlet" a year ago after 2 years on tour so I suggest you to not be quick on judgment :tape:

ezekiel
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Remember Maria S is still Ivanovics age and and she is still in the tournament i think people forget that they are the same age some times. She is still so young

Maria is 7 months older and has been on the tour for couple of years now, no?

She also has the benefit of the cakewalk draw

I<3Tati
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I am afraid to say this, but after failing to breakthrough (i.e., at least making a QF of a slam) for one and a half year since the hype began, Golovin is no longer a rising star in my book. She will do well enough to hang around top 20 or 15 that's my prediction.

C'mon, give her a break. I mean she's only 17, she has plenty of time to do somethin big on tour. And btw, she's been one win away from getting to the QF twice, and in those matches she was either very inexperienced or just faced a player that was a loooooot better. And again, I'm not tryin to make excuses, just stating a couple things.

Vaidisova has not lived up to the hype. Again, making at least QF of a slam is the benchmark that she failed to clear. More troubling is that she has not had any significant career victory against top 10 players. Everytime she faces a noted veteran or a player ranked higher at an important event, she lost. Ivanovic at least beat Mauresmo and Sesil beat Venus at a grand slam event. There is none for Vaidisova. If this continues for a couple more slams I just have to write her off.

OMG, the girl is 16, she hasn't really had a chance to do anything yet. And besides, she's already won two titles. Yes I understand they were like Tier 4 or whatever but they're still titles.

HTE
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Well Tatiana has a nasty ankle injury and probably only played beacuse she loves Wimbledon and would do almost anything to do as well as last year. Hopefully her injury heals complication.

Sesil clearly doesn't know how to move on grass yet, she's still very, very young and will be back stronger and more experienced next year. Shecertainly believes she can beat everyone :lol:

Nicole V. played a good tournament and she might as well have won, but Kuznetsova's experience decided that match.

I haven't followed Ana that much during this years tournament, and I was a bit disappointed when I saw that she lost. But as with Sesil she isn't really at home on grass yet, I'm sure her power game will make a lot of impact here in the following years.

To sum up all thre "starlets" coud have performed better, but under the circumstances I don't think a lot more could be expected from them.

ZAK
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Karatantcheva has had some bad luck (drawing Kuznetsova 1st round at USO 04, Sharapova 2d round at AO 05, and again Sharapova 2rd round at Wimby 05), but she also had good luck at FO 05 that made her to the QF. So, luck evens out. My concern, however, is that she is not mentally tough. The meltdown at FO QF and this Wimby againt Sharapova is disappointing. She also lack consistency and a big weapon -- speed and anticipation is good, groundstrock is good but not yet top 10 material; serve is weak. I will give her another year before further judgement.

Late bloomers are relatively rare in women's tennis. Great champions usually show exceptional skill and mental fortitute at a yound age. Just think Graf, Seles, Capriati, Hingis, the WS. Justine and Kim have their success a bit late but their skills were much talked about even before that. My feeling is that none of these 4 "starlets" measure up to these great players. Not now, and likely not in the future.

Women's tennis is becoming older, and think we are going to see break throughs at around 18 or so a lot now instead of 16. Just look at the ages of the players on the juniors ranking, there aren't any 14 year-olds who are having success. And of course they won't measure up to the greats, that only happens once every few years, but they could definately be quite successful.

My little analysis:
Golovin- I'm incredibly biased because I have been a fan fo a couple of years, but I don't buy the 'she's just consistent' crap. She plays a very instinctive, improvisational game, and her forehand is really big. Tati been having some serious injury issues the last couple of month as well as in Australia. She's younger than Ivanovic aswell

Ivanovic- Has had great results, and has risen so quickly. She'll be in the top 10 soon. Her game is big and solid; grass isn't her best surface.

Vaidisova- Like Ivanovic, she doesn't love grass. Big serve and forehand' plays a lot like Sharapova. Her rise hasn't let up either.

Karantcheva- She's the one I question the most. She's fast and can hit hard, but doesn't seem to use her power well. But she's only 15 so anything can happen

HTE
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Women's tennis is becoming older, and think we are going to see break throughs at around 18 or so a lot now instead of 16. Just look at the ages of the players on the juniors ranking, there aren't any 14 year-olds who are having success. And of course they won't measure up to the greats, that only happens once every few years, but they could definately be quite successful.

Not quite true, there are some 14 year-olds with great success. But yeah otherwise I agree :D

ZAK
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Not quite true, there are some 14 year-olds with great success. But yeah otherwise I agree :D

But not like there used to be. Krajicek made a junior slam final at 14, Kleybanova was no. 3 in juniors at 14. Before them, Hingis was having success on the WTA at 14. There isn't anything of that magnitude now.

HTE
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:31 PM
well Caroline Wozniacki is well established in the top 10 and will be higher next week after winning Roehampton (and Eastbourne). She'll very possibly get very far at Wimbledon as well.
Martina was exceptional, IMHO the best tennisplayer ever. Had she had a bigger physique she would have been unstoppable. Krajicek and Kleybanova hasn't really gone anywhere lately.
But anyway around I think it's better for the players to use a few more years to strengthen thei bodies and minds before entering the pro ranks.

Pengwin
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:34 PM
The queen of Wimbledon was never a teen starlet so it doesn't really matter.

ZAK
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM
well Caroline Wozniacki is well established in the top 10 and will be higher next week after winning Roehampton (and Eastbourne). She'll very possibly get very far at Wimbledon as well.
Martina was exceptional, IMHO the best tennisplayer ever. Had she had a bigger physique she would have been unstoppable. Krajicek and Kleybanova hasn't really gone anywhere lately.
But anyway around I think it's better for the players to use a few more years to strengthen thei bodies and minds before entering the pro ranks.

Caroline is 15, she's definitely quite good but she's not 14. Also, she hasn't played a pro event yet, which I think is another trend: juniors staying in juniors longer

pla
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:44 PM

That only the future will tell.

Bad luck, good luck.. it's irrelevant at the age of 15, it's the game she will develop that matters and the experience. You really don't know much about her, did you ever seen her BH? :lol: If that's not a weapon, I don't know what it is..

Nicole is a top30 at 16, 2 WTA titles- no need of further comment I think.

You forget about the AER restriction AND, and I underline the AND, the power game. So let's just stick to the actual generation of "youngsters" and not try to compare things that are not comparable, shall we? ;)

HTE
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Caroline is 15, she's definitely quite good but she's not 14. Also, she hasn't played a pro event yet, which I think is another trend: juniors staying in juniors longer

Caroline's birthday is July 7 1990 = 14 years !

wurzelman
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:44 PM
They are only young, they all have very bright futures ahead of them.

Kiswana
Jun 27th, 2005, 10:39 AM
In my opinion, and Ivanovic have the most potential. They will both win a Grand Slam one day. I don't know if they'll win loads but I believe they'll both win at least one.

wurzelman
Jun 27th, 2005, 12:01 PM
who and Ivanovic??