PDA

View Full Version : Kim one win away from returning to the top 10!

Russianfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:29 PM
It's a tough one.... and I like Lindsay too... but I'm pulling for Kim...

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Ummm... yeah. I don't know about that. I seriously doubt that Clijsters can gain the 450 points she needs against Lindsay. There are too many variable involved to make this statement. Anastacia Myskina and Nadia Petrova will continue to gain points over Clijsters as long as they keep winning. Molik right now is the only one who isn't playing. Molik is over 450 points ahead of Clijsters. So... Clijsters will get 162 points for making it to the quarters plus 200 quality points for beating Lindsay. 200+162= 362... I seriously doubt that there are 88 quality points between the players that Clijsters dismissed in the first 3 rounds.

Babolatpro880
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Considering in the grand slams there are double quality points, I am quite sure there are that many.

manu
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Ummm... yeah. I don't know about that. I seriously doubt that Clijsters can gain the 450 points she needs against Lindsay. There are too many variable involved to make this statement. Anastacia Myskina and Nadia Petrova will continue to gain points over Clijsters as long as they keep winning. Molik right now is the only one who isn't playing. Molik is over 450 points ahead of Clijsters. So... Clijsters will get 162 points for making it to the quarters plus 200 quality points for beating Lindsay. 200+162= 362... I seriously doubt that there are 88 quality points between the players that Clijsters dismissed in the first 3 rounds.

Alicia is only 2330 in safe points, while Kim stands at 1958. That's 372 points between them. So a win over Lindsay would indeed clinch it. But that doesn't make it any easier... It'll be very difficult anyway, I'm just really excited for this match :)

Russianfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:47 PM

No need to worry about Anastasia or Petrova, Molik is the one who will drop out if Kim wins...

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Considering in the grand slams there are double quality points, I am quite sure there are that many.

Riight. Kate O' Brian is ranked 320. Melissa Irvin is ranked 93. Roberta Vinci is ranked 64. She played an average ranked player of 159. Now as I as before which you disagreed on. I seriously doubt there are 88 quality points from the 3 players that Clijsters has played before Lindsay. I could do all the math if you like but it really should be obvious by now.

Russianfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Alicia is only 2330 in safe points, while Kim stands at 1958. That's 372 points between them. So a win over Lindsay would indeed clinch it. But that doesn't make it any easier... It'll be very difficult anyway, I'm just really excited for this match :)

exactly...

Russianfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Kim has 116 points so far...(26 quality points)

If she beats Lindsay, she'll get an additional 272 points... 72 points for the round, 200 quality points

That's enough to move to #10

Russianfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Riight. Kate O' Brian is ranked 320. Melissa Irvin is ranked 93. Roberta Vinci is ranked 64. She played an average ranked player of 159. Now as I as before which you disagreed on. I seriously doubt there are 88 quality points from the 3 players that Clijsters has played before Lindsay. I could do all the math if you like but it really should be obvious by now.

What exactly should be obvious? ;)

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM
OK. Fine you're right. Clijsters will be 16 points ahead of Molik IF she win. Then again Clijsters has paid before for not having a hard draw before playing top 5 players before. We'll see.

mboyle
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:07 PM
If Lindsay loses the R16 match and Maria wins Wimbledon, Maria becomes no. 1 in the world:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !!!!!

Ceze
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:09 PM
If Lindsay loses the R16 match and Maria wins Wimbledon, Maria becomes no. 1 in the world!!!!
Im not so sure...

manu
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:12 PM
OK. Fine you're right. Clijsters will be 16 points ahead of Molik IF she win. Then again Clijsters has paid before for not having a hard draw before playing top 5 players before. We'll see.

So were Lindsay's opponents so stunning? You're staring yourself blind on Katie's ranking, who actually played a very decent match. Of course #320 takes down your averages... But were Alina and Jamea so much better than Katie and Irvin? Vinci was in good form and is currently probably comparable to Dinara on grass. Or are you referring to Roland Garros maybe? Kim played a seed there, Lindsay didn't.

What's your issue with Kim? I'm sure that the outcome of Monday's match will have everything to do with the form of these two players, not with their previous opponents. Just as was the case at Roland Garros.

Daniel
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Go Kim :)

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Umm...Lindsay didn't play a player ranked lower than 51 at Roland Garros. Clijsters did twice. It's obviously not her fault but Clijsters usually gets some easy draws when she plays in tournis.
Do I have an issue with Clijsters? I don't like her persona on the court so yes. To me she's the equivalent of Lleyton Hewitt on the men's side. Her gamestyle to me is boring and annoying. So if she gets in the top 10 right now, it's only because Molik couldn't defend her points.

Melly Flew Us
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM
she would have been in a lot sooner if she had done well at RG.
i hope that kim approaches the match with clinical detachment.
but lindsay is more comfortable on grass.

manu
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Umm...Lindsay didn't play a player ranked lower than 51 at Roland Garros. Clijsters did twice. It's obviously not her fault but Clijsters usually gets some easy draws when she plays in tournis.
Do I have an issue with Clijsters? I don't like her persona on the court so yes. To me she's the equivalent of Lleyton Hewitt on the men's side. Her gamestyle to me is boring and annoying. So if she gets in the top 10 right now, it's only because Molik couldn't defend her points.

1) Bottom line is that a) Kim indeed can't help it so shouldn't be blamed b) in both cases, the rankings of the early-round-opponents don't really matter anyway, because the 4th round opponent is obviously a few levels ahead.

2) If you'd show a little interest in actually verifying your opinion concerning Kim, you'd know that there's a HUGE difference between Kim's and Lleyton's attitudes/personality on- and off-court. Why else do you think Kim is a multiple winner of WTA Sportsmanship award and Lleyton's got a bad reputation for his exagerated pumpfisting/shouting/... ? Of course you have every right to think whatever you want about her game. But that shouldn't be a reason not to acknowledge that a possible top-10 ranking would be totally earned by Kim herself and no one else's injuries. Frankly, I strongly doubt Kim would have left the top-10 had SHE been able to defend her points before February.

Lynx
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:57 PM
But that shouldn't be a reason not to acknowledge that a possible top-10 ranking would be totally earned by Kim herself and no one else's injuries. Frankly, I strongly doubt Kim would have left the top-10 had SHE been able to defend her points before February.
Exactly. And lets not forget that Kim's ranking comes from 9 tournaments only (Wimbledon included). There is only one player ranked above her with less tournaments, and that's, of course, Justine (8).

azza
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Why do i have a feeling Lindsays gunna blow Kim away :eek: :sad: :sad:

~|Naomi|~
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:58 AM
God Wannabe the ultimate Kim troll.

azmad_88
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:52 AM
If Lindsay loses the R16 match and Maria wins Wimbledon, Maria becomes no. 1 in the world:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !!!!!

how sure are u?
i dont think maria is going to gain any quality points being th higher ranked player....
please confirm first..
is this true/???
if lindsay looses in 4r maria number 1?

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:11 AM
1) Bottom line is that a) Kim indeed can't help it so shouldn't be blamed b) in both cases, the rankings of the early-round-opponents don't really matter anyway, because the 4th round opponent is obviously a few levels ahead.

2) If you'd show a little interest in actually verifying your opinion concerning Kim, you'd know that there's a HUGE difference between Kim's and Lleyton's attitudes/personality on- and off-court. Why else do you think Kim is a multiple winner of WTA Sportsmanship award and Lleyton's got a bad reputation for his exagerated pumpfisting/shouting/... ? Of course you have every right to think whatever you want about her game. But that shouldn't be a reason not to acknowledge that a possible top-10 ranking would be totally earned by Kim herself and no one else's injuries. Frankly, I strongly doubt Kim would have left the top-10 had SHE been able to defend her points before February.

There was nothing stopping her from defending her points. At any time she could have continued to play with a one handed slice. She could have done that last year and worked on her volleys as well. Chip and Charge to the net or use her powerful forehand. If she would have done that, then I'm certain she would be number one for most of last year and most of this year.
She made the choice not to do that. I made the choice of not being a fan anymore. If she would have come back being a more rounded player or more mentally tough, then I would understand her taking the 8 months off.
She's not. She's the same player that played a year ago. If I was talking about any player other than Kim Clijsters that would be a complement. I am talking about Kim Clijsters and so it's an insult. Her volleys aren't any better than before which they should be. Her backhand is a lot more compact and that's good but everything else about her game is the same.
The reason I don't like Clijsters or Venus is because I haven't seen any improvements in any of their games after their layoffs. I feel that players should grow into a complete game as they should off the court. As a person on the court I don't see that so. As a person off the court I believe that Clijsters is as all around as she can be. I just wish she would take that kind of ideal into her on the court game.

gopher
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:53 AM
So if she gets in the top 10 right now, it's only because Molik couldn't defend her points.

the moment Molik is able to win Masters, Fedcup and Indian Wells and Key Biscane back-to-back we can talk

Kim is $10 mln player, Molik made two million, how can you even compare.

azmad_88
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Kim

4 times Grand Slam FInalist(singles)
2 times Grand Slam Doubles winner
2 times YEC Champion
Finalist once in YEC for Doubles
Winner of Indian Wells twice
Winner of Miami
and total of 24 Career title

Molik
Winner of Zurich
Winner of 1 Doubles Grand Slam
Total of 5 Career Singles title

Clijsters lead head to head 2-0

Molik only beat clijsters at hopman cup..which doesnt count

goldenboi356
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I like both Lind and Kim, although I would like Lind to win cause she's getting old and time's running out for her to win another GS. If kim wins it, that's cool too. Id be happy either way.

Rub
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:35 AM
:dance:

greenfunkTHREE.
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:56 AM
No need to worry about Anastasia or Petrova, Molik is the one who will drop out if Kim wins...

really?

tfannis
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:20 AM
There was nothing stopping her from defending her points. At any time she could have continued to play with a one handed slice. She could have done that last year and worked on her volleys as well. Chip and Charge to the net or use her powerful forehand. If she would have done that, then I'm certain she would be number one for most of last year and most of this year.

Oh please :lol: :lol: Kim wasn't even allowed to run after her operation, but suuurrrre...she should have played :rolleyes: :lol: Just throw in the one handed slice and everything will work out :retard:
Tennis is not really your thing, huh? :tape:

~|Naomi|~
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Oh please, Kim playing just with a slice and chipping and charging and being number 1 doing that, she'd get creamed by the big guns. Her double handed backhand is her strength. Shows how much you really know about Kim's game.

jes_022
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Right :rolleyes: , do you even understand the game of tennis? Or what her injury entailed. Stop bitching about thing you dont know nothing about.

manu
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:02 PM

You're joking right? Even if she would have done such a lunatic thing as playing with an operated and injured wrist by doing everything one-handed, she would have needed it to support her entire body while doing her trademark-split. Secondly, Kim said that she wouldn't have a chance to be top-10 if she'd play her backhand one-handed. So there is NO QUESTION AT ALL that this was even an option! Let alone a way to be #1.

She made the choice not to do that. I made the choice of not being a fan anymore. If she would have come back being a more rounded player or more mentally tough, then I would understand her taking the 8 months off.
She's not. She's the same player that played a year ago. If I was talking about any player other than Kim Clijsters that would be a complement. I am talking about Kim Clijsters and so it's an insult. Her volleys aren't any better than before which they should be. Her backhand is a lot more compact and that's good but everything else about her game is the same.

I guess you haven't been watching enough of her then. As you said, her backhand is more reliable now, her serve has improved (Kim served at 116 MPH this Wimbledon, while before her injury she'd find it very difficult to surpass 110 MPH) and is now more of a weapon, her forehand had improved in her first tournaments back but is maybe a bit less steady again, Kim's coming to the net more and while her volleys may not have improved, they already were very solid.

The reason I don't like Clijsters or Venus is because I haven't seen any improvements in any of their games after their layoffs. I feel that players should grow into a complete game as they should off the court. As a person on the court I don't see that so. As a person off the court I believe that Clijsters is as all around as she can be. I just wish she would take that kind of ideal into her on the court game.

Kim's personality on the court is just fine. No link at all with Lleyton as stated in your previous post. I also fail to see what your GAME has to do with your PERSONALITY on-court? These are two different things IMO.
Players do try to grow all the time I think, but that doesn't necessarily translate in better and better results. Kim is trying the best she can, and has had an impressive year so far, esp in IW and Miami. The only disappointment for me personally was Roland Garros, but that was ONE match. Is that proof that Kim hasn't evolved at all? Or that she isn't complete? Or that her on-court-behaviour isn't what it should be? Not at all. You don't always get what you want. I still support Kim big time, and I believe she can still achieve great things in her career and learn from her setbacks.

jes_022
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:09 PM
You're joking right? Even if she would have done such a lunatic thing as playing with an operated and injured wrist by doing everything one-handed, she would have needed it to support her entire body while doing her trademark-split. Secondly, Kim said that she wouldn't have a chance to be top-10 if she'd play her backhand one-handed. So there is NO QUESTION AT ALL that this was even an option! Let alone a way to be #1.

I guess you haven't been watching enough of her then. As you said, her backhand is more reliable now, her serve has improved (Kim served at 116 MPH this Wimbledon, while before her injury she'd find it very difficult to surpass 110 MPH) and is now more of a weapon, her forehand had improved in her first tournaments back but is maybe a bit less steady again, Kim's coming to the net more and while her volleys may not have improved, they already were very solid.

Kim's personality on the court is just fine. No link at all with Lleyton as stated in your previous post. I also fail to see what your GAME has to do with your PERSONALITY on-court? These are two different things IMO.
Players do try to grow all the time I think, but that doesn't necessarily translate in better and better results. Kim is trying the best she can, and has had an impressive year so far, esp in IW and Miami. The only disappointment for me personally was Roland Garros, but that was ONE match. Is that proof that Kim hasn't evolved at all? Or that she isn't complete? Or that her on-court-behaviour isn't what it should be? Not at all. You don't always get what you want. I still support Kim big time, and I believe she can still achieve great things in her career and learn from her setbacks.

Couldn't agree more with your points :worship: , but some people only see what they wanna see. This one seems like a lost case. I just wish that people would stick to the facts.

Mercury Rising
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:14 PM
:lol: :lol: you really are a wannabe aren't you? :lol: :lol:

Mon.
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Pffff, you really think you know what you are talking about, don't you? You seem to forget Kim not being able to move her fingers after the operation. So please, explain to me how the hell she could have played a match.

Mon.
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:19 PM

You don't like her persona on court? :lol: That's the biggest joke I've heard in a long time. I think almost everyone agrees with me if I say she's one of the most sportive people out there.

jes_022
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Pffff, you really think you know what you are talking about, don't you? You seem to forget Kim not being able to move her fingers after the operation. So please, explain to me how the hell she could have played a match.

I wish there were more people around that really know about tennis, to avoid these types of discussions. :lol:

~|Naomi|~
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Also Kim couldn't have gone to a one handed backhand she still has to look after her shoulder and it would have overloaded it, she has even mentioned that herself.