PDA

View Full Version : Looking Forward to Serena's Summer 2005

azinna
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:42 PM
We didn't expect too much from Rena at Wimbledon after the 1st two rounds and the varied medical reports. But it feels weird to see Craybas def S Williams.

Anyways, she gave it a try. Maybe she shouldn't have, but she did. Now onward march. What will the rest of Serena's summer look like? Not great, I say. This is a tough time for Rena to be dealing with injury and fitness problems. Even if she rests and heals properly, it isn't likely that she'll get fit and match tough before the US Open.

There is some hope. First, as she showed at US Open 2002, AUS 2005, and countless other tournaments, she doesn't need a long wind-up of matches to win a slam. Second, if she really wants to, she can start next week with a programme of low-impact cross-training, sparing her ankles while dropping the pounds and regaining tone and flexibility. If she goes Graf on us, by mid-July she could be back on the court pain-free and doing tennis-specific drills. Then a tournament, maybe two, before the US Open?

That's actually optimistic. I'm praying for Serena to commit to this sort of plan and for it to be carried out with as few probs as possible. But I think we Serena fans need to start contemplating a strong-ish autumn/indoor season for our girl, with an eye on her defending at Melbourne. Sucks, but she's still one of four current holders of WTA Slam trophies. Not too bad for a woman so injury-prone that she really should have Graf's number saved on her cell phone.

dylan24
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:50 PM
serena nor venus will ever win a grand slam again

selking
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:07 PM

thats quite a BOLD statement

starr
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:10 PM
We didn't expect too much from Rena at Wimbledon after the 1st two rounds and the varied medical reports. But it feels weird to see Craybas def S Williams.

Anyways, she gave it a try. Maybe she shouldn't have, but she did. Now onward march. What will the rest of Serena's summer look like? Not great, I say. This is a tough time for Rena to be dealing with injury and fitness problems. Even if she rests and heals properly, it isn't likely that she'll get fit and match tough before the US Open.

There is some hope. First, as she showed at US Open 2002, AUS 2005, and countless other tournaments, she doesn't need a long wind-up of matches to win a slam. Second, if she really wants to, she can start next week with a programme of low-impact cross-training, sparing her ankles while dropping the pounds and regaining tone and flexibility. If she goes Graf on us, by mid-July she could be back on the court pain-free and doing tennis-specific drills. Then a tournament, maybe two, before the US Open?

That's actually optimistic. I'm praying for Serena to commit to this sort of plan and for it to be carried out with as few probs as possible. But I think we Serena fans need to start contemplating a strong-ish autumn/indoor season for our girl, with an eye on her defending at Melbourne. Sucks, but she's still one of four current holders of WTA Slam trophies. Not too bad for a woman so injury-prone that she really should have Graf's number saved on her cell phone.

I thought Serena's fans were saying she was so injured and sick, she might not even play the USO. No?

But what I don't understand is if her ankle is so fragile and still hurting, what is she doing showing up on the red carpet in stilettos?

ys
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:10 PM
She is washed out.. Venus has a body type of her father and she stays naturally slender no matter whether she is injured, not working out or anything. Serena has a body type of her mother and will tend to quickly gain weight as soon as she is not on a strict physical regime. As always, with age it becomes more and more of a struggle..

Black Mamba.
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I thought Serena's fans were saying she was so injured and sick, she might not even play the USO. No?

But what I don't understand is if her ankle is so fragile and still hurting, what is she doing showing up on the red carpet in stilettos?

That's a solid point.

K-Dog
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Serena really needs a break. Remember when Serena dominated!! She got slight injuries, but not this!! It was because Serena ended points quickly and was totally dominant. Now Serena scrambles for everything and forces her body to do things it doesn't need to have to do!

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Honestly she might not have a big summer 2005. Unless she goes on strict diet that hairline fracture in her ankle is going to take a month to heal itself. They could put pins in her ankle but she would be out longer.

starr
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Honestly she might not have a big summer 2005. Unless she goes on strict diet that hairline fracture in her ankle is going to take a month to heal itself. They could put pins in her ankle but she would be out longer.

Then she needs to stay out of the high heels. Any orthopedist would tell her that.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:27 PM
She shouldn't play until Canada at least. She shouldn't even get on the plane to Moscow.

serenafan08
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:32 PM
She shouldn't play until Canada at least. She shouldn't even get on the plane to Moscow.
Agreed. That's exactly what I was thinking; the Rogers Cup is about the right time for her to start playing again, maybe even the Acura Classic.

azinna
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Agreed. Moscow (as well as stilettos) should certainly be out of the picture. Canada would be a nice goal. But she should go there with low-to-medium expectations: it'll calm her down and may give her a chance to swing freely again.

vettipooh
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:22 AM
serena nor venus will ever win a grand slam againAnd if they don't, ELEVEN (11) looks quite good to them...and to me.:lol::lol: :lol: :p

WorldWar24
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Then she needs to stay out of the high heels. Any orthopedist would tell her that.

Actually they're good for her if she has problems with her Achiles Tendon. But it won't help her much if she falls down and say, "fractures" her ankle

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Actually they're good for her if she has problems with her Achiles Tendon. But it won't help her much if she falls down and say, "fractures" her ankle

LOL

azinna
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Although folks have (rightly) complained about the general tone of Tracy Austin's MSNBC article, I do like the fact that she's confident that a focused Serena can get back in near-top gear within a month. A real recognition of Rena's ability.

Full article to be read at: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8336456/

The bit in question is as follows:

No excuses, but a promise
If Serena had come into this tournament with a few more matches under her belt and a few dozen more hours of practice, she probably would have beaten Craybas and gotten herself another highly anticipated match against her older sister, Venus.

Instead, all Serena has is a one-way ticket home. I admire Serena for not blaming her ankle injury as the cause of her defeat. She didn't make any excuses for her loss, merely saying that she played horribly -- which she did.

She's slow to the ball, isnít explosive enough on her serve and doesn't have the proper timing on with her returns.

Assuming her sore ankle properly heals, Serena should be able to work all that out on the practice court during the next month. She has vowed to work harder in the future and if she does, she should be a serious contender for every tournament she enters.

But she has outside interests and so keeping her vow to increase her training and get back into top form will be a challenge -- one she has to accept and conquer if she is ever going to get back to being the dominant player she was earlier in this decade.

A defeat that motivates?
Serena was embarrassed by her defeat and hopefully she will transform that embarrassing feeling into one of hunger and desire to get back on top. Once she flies back to her Beverly Hills home, she has to be very careful not to dismiss Wimbledon as a one off disappointment.

She must get back on the court as quickly as possible.

If the defeat to Craybas taught Serena anything, itís that she can no longer just show up and win titles -- something she could do in the past to the amazement of many players.

She may have been spoiled by her title run at the 2005 Australian Open, where she managed to win her seventh major without a lot of preparation coming in.

But she hasn't won a title since then and is in danger of falling out of the top five.

Given how long and hard Serena cried after her Wimbledon loss, I know this defeat stung her deeply.

Hopefully, it will motivate her to right her ship because if she doesn't change her attitude and approach to her tennis very soon, she might end up being an afterthought at the majors -- a scenario that the talented and attention-loving Serena would surely dread.

vw.
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:01 PM
we'll see at the end of this fortnight ;)

Diesel
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I didn't read any confidence coming from the author in that article, but what she's said isn't anything new and nothing we or Serena hasn't read or heard before. The only thing that is of import is that Serena knows the deal and Serena take action to deal with it and make it better. The ball is in Serena's court and she needs to make sure she's in charge and not reacting.

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Serena will be fortunate if she gets a decent tan this summer because she ill NOT be winning any majors!

mboyle
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Serena does a lot of talking about better preparation and training. I haven't seen anything yet. But, obviously, if she does get fit and gets her strokes and serve grooved, she's not really touchable except by JHH on clay and Maria on grass/carpet.

azinna
Jun 27th, 2005, 04:25 AM
I didn't read any confidence coming from the author in that article, but what she's said isn't anything new and nothing we or Serena hasn't read or heard before. The only thing that is of import is that Serena knows the deal and Serena take action to deal with it and make it better. The ball is in Serena's court and she needs to make sure she's in charge and not reacting.

I personally think Tracy was quite optimistic in saying that a focused Serena could take care of things within a month on court. I'm with you, diesel, on Serena knowing the deal and taking action. I just think that even if she decides to commit whole-hog next week, it'll take several months for her to be at 80%.

RenaSlam.
Jun 27th, 2005, 04:46 AM
She's won a slam this year, so I can't complain.

However, her current form is shit. This is not Serena Williams. Hell, I'd even bet the Serena of '98 could beat the Serena of '05. I hope this is a wake up call, but she's said that losses like this "wont happen again" and such before so I won't believe it until I see it.

Get in the gym and on the practice courts Serena, and come back strong for the hardcourt season...Remember, the USO is your house!