PDA

View Full Version : Will Maria EVER gain the #1??

Davenselesport
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:16 PM
After this round, Lindsay is now nearly 800 points in front of Maria-

Does anyone know what it would take for Maria to reach #1? I'm assuming some time during the American hardcourts...

Lady
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Yep, as all big hard-court tournies are staring later this year, Lindsay will start losing points without a chance to defend them.

Strange Famous
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Maria is 18... she has a lot of time and she is a great player... I think she will be number one one day.

lucashg
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:34 PM
She'll eventually be #1 this year, not so sure about ending as #1 though.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Sharapova will be VERY CLOSE. After Wimbledon, Lindsay is supposedly playing FED CUP and nothing else till Stanford. Lindsay will lose 175 points from Cincinnati. She might decide to play Cincinnati after all on a wildcard like last year just to get the bad taste of clay courts out of her mind. So if Lindsay loses to Clijsters on Monday and Sharapova wins Wimbledon and Sharapova plays and wins Stanford then that would be enough. It's a lot of ifs for sure but Sharapova can do it if she wants.

Lady
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Sharapova will be VERY CLOSE. After Wimbledon, Lindsay is supposedly playing FED CUP and nothing else till Stanford. Lindsay will lose 175 points from Cincinnati. She might decide to play Cincinnati after all on a wildcard like last year just to get the bad taste of clay courts out of her mind. So if Lindsay loses to Clijsters on Monday and Sharapova wins Wimbledon and Sharapova plays and wins Stanford then that would be enough. It's a lot of ifs for sure but Sharapova can do it if she wants.

Cincinatti was in mid August last year, Stanford on the other hand was in the mid-July. These points she's gonna lose, Cincinatti is nothing comparing to those. ;)

Russianfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Maria will be #1 this summer.... Take out points up for the hard court season (including US Open)... and Maria is over 800 points in front of Lindsay.... so Lindsay needs to do more than winning, she needs to hope for Maria to play little and lose early... I just don't think Lindsay will have 800 points more from now till August than Maria.

Also need to consider that if Lindsay does get some of those points in Wimbledon, she'll be tired after going to Moscow for Fed Cup and might not even play all the tournaments she played last year....

And in a more short term view, take out points from Stanford, SD and LA and Maria is already a few hundred points in front of Lindsay...

Of course all of this depends on Maria getting far in Wimby:)

jenglisbe
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Remember that Maria lost early in last year's U.S. Open while Lindsay made the SF. Maria can gain a lot of points there, as well as in other summer tournaments.

Russianfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:22 PM
By the way... if you take out points of hard court season (including US Open), here is the top 10!:)

1 2 Maria Sharapova RUS 4026
2 1 Lindsay Davenport USA 3189
3 3 Amelie Mauresmo FRA 2934
4 4 Serena Williams USA 2525
5 7 Justine Henin-Hardenne BEL 2506
6 8 Nadia Petrova RUS 2174
7 13 Kim Clijsters BEL 2074
8 5 Elena Dementieva RUS 1962
9 6 Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS 1948
10 11 Patty Schnyder SWI 1943

serenafan08
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I think Maria will get to number one - it's inevitable. As for when??? That's a toss-up. :confused:

Russianfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Let's say Maria gets like 800 points through the hard court season... then Lindsay needs about 1600...(she got 1770 last year).... when you consider she'll probably play less... it makes it very likely...

800 points is not a lot for Maria to get... a good part of it could come from the Open... and then maybe a few SF or Finals...

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:28 PM
By the way... if you take out points of hard court season (including US Open), here is the top 10!:)

1 2 Maria Sharapova RUS 4026
2 1 Lindsay Davenport USA 3189
3 3 Amelie Mauresmo FRA 2934
4 4 Serena Williams USA 2525
5 7 Justine Henin-Hardenne BEL 2506
6 8 Nadia Petrova RUS 2174
7 13 Kim Clijsters BEL 2074
8 5 Elena Dementieva RUS 1962
9 6 Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS 1948
10 11 Patty Schnyder SWI 1943

You forgot one thing. Lindsay has only lost once before the SF since 1998 at any of the California tournis. She's made it to the final of at least one of those Cali tournis since 1998 as well. Lindsay is the most consistent player on tour and like Sharapova hasn't lost in any tourni before the QFs yet. Odds are that one of them will probably have to play Clijsters before the SF. One of them will lose. Let's see where the luck of the draw is. Will it be for Lindsay, like it was during the red clay season? Or will it turn in favor to Sharapova?

Russianfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:32 PM
You forgot one thing. Lindsay has only lost once before the SF since 1998 at any of the California tournis. She's made it to the final of at least one of those Cali tournis since 1998 as well. Lindsay is the most consistent player on tour and like Sharapova hasn't lost in any tourni before the QFs yet. Odds are that one of them will probably have to play Clijsters before the SF. One of them will lose. Let's see where the luck of the draw is. Will it be for Lindsay, like it was during the red clay season? Or will it turn in favor to Sharapova?

Oh I have no doubt that she'll do very well there, no doubt at all... Just saying:

1-it would be very hard to do better than last year, where she was basically unbeatable except at the Open

2-even if Lindsay does play as well, it's still probably unlikely she'd keep #1 (unless for example she wins the US Open...)

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Oh I have no doubt that she'll do very well there, no doubt at all... Just saying:

1-it would be very hard to do better than last year, where she was basically unbeatable except at the Open

2-even if Lindsay does play as well, it's still probably unlikely she'd keep #1 (unless for example she wins the US Open...)

You forgot one more thing. :lol:
Lindsay only played one top 5 player in her California tournis. She's lacking lots of quality points. She beat Venus, Serena, Zvonareva, and Myskina in finals. Only one of those players was in the top 5 when she beat them. She could still gain some points. It's not as impossible as it seems.

Lady
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Lindsay only played one top 5 player in her California tournis. She's lacking lots of quality points. She beat Venus, Serena, Zvonareva, and Myskina in finals. Only one of those players was in the top 5 when she beat them. She could still gain some points. It's not as impossible as it seems.

She got big points for Venus in Stanford at least. Venus was under protected seeding still.

Russianfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:49 PM

Well not all of them enter these tournaments either... I just really think matching last year's total would be an achievement....

mboyle
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Let's face reality: Lindsay is not going to win three hardcourt titles with Serena, Kim, Justine AND Maria in the draw. Assuming she wins Stanford (just Kimmie present; I'm being generous,) and the gets to the F of LA and the SF of San Diego, she'll drop about 450-500 points, depending on bonus points, by the time US Open seedings come around. Lindsay has no 18th result to fall back upon.

I think Maria is going to beat Lindsay in the finals of Wimbledon. That means Maria will gain 180 points (bonus points,) and Lindsay will gain 380 points (net gain 200, contingent on bonus points.)

That means Lindsay will lead Maria by between 0:eek: and 100 points come US Open seeding time if Maria only equals her performances from last year. Then we have to take this into account: Maria's summer hardcourt results from last season aren't even included in her best 17 performances:eek: . That means, essentially, that, if Lindsay doesn't do as well as I predicted (or even if she does and doesn't get good bonus points), Maria will be no. 1 by not even playing this summer. However, to be safe, let's look at her worst 3 results:

Berlin (93)
US Open (92)
Beijing (102)

That means, to guarantee no. 1 by the time of US Open seedings, Maria needs to gain 400 points over three tournaments (two tier ones.) Three SF would do it. Two SF and one QF might even do it. That's very very realistic.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:11 PM
She got big points for Venus in Stanford at least. Venus was under protected seeding still.

As far as I know and as far as the WTA goes by rankings. Quality points are done by RANKINGS not by seedings. Venus and Serena were given a protected seeding and not a protected ranking. Venus was ranked 15 at the time so the quality points that Lindsay got from Venus came from a player ranked 15.

10nisfanofruz
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:08 AM
if Lindsay doesn't do as well as I predicted (or even if she does and doesn't get good bonus points), Maria will be no. 1 by not even playing this summer. However, to be safe, let's look at her worst 3 results:

Berlin (93)
US Open (92)
Beijing (102)

That means, to guarantee no. 1 by the time of US Open seedings, Maria needs to gain 400 points over three tournaments (two tier ones.) Three SF would do it. Two SF and one QF might even do it. That's very very realistic.

:eek: It would be huge for Maria if she reaches #1 in USA. :lol:

Rtael
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:16 AM
First of all Maria won't even be in the Wimbledon final. Second, Serena and Maria are no threat to Lindsay on hardcourt, only the Belgians.

@m@nd@
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:48 AM
yes of course probably after US open

goldenboi356
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:41 AM
i don't want to say i hate sharapova but i don't really like her so i hope and pray lind stays number throughout hard season.

sartrista7
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:46 AM
If Sharapova defends Wimbledon, she'll almost certainly be No 1 this summer. If she doesn't...it will be harder, but not implausible, and then it would be very ironic that she only manages to get to No 1 when she's not holding a Slam.

Evelyn Tremble
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:50 AM
It is as inevitable as global warming.

Lemonskin.
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Around or after the US Open.

Even if Lindsay defends all those tournaments and her SF at USO, Maria can surely only get lots more points

*Karen*
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Probably because later on in the year Lindsay is going to lose loads of points. It doesn't look like Serena or Justine will be fully fit for sometime yet. Maria should get there by the end of the year.

Lady
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:52 AM
As far as I know and as far as the WTA goes by rankings. Quality points are done by RANKINGS not by seedings. Venus and Serena were given a protected seeding and not a protected ranking. Venus was ranked 15 at the time so the quality points that Lindsay got from Venus came from a player ranked 15.

And you're wrong AGAIN!
It was discussed SOOO MANY times here, so I won't repeat it. But they gave points as if Serena is #2, and Venus #3. That's a FACT. You can ask Eggy or nitsansh, or anyone...

Lady
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:55 AM
If Sharapova defends Wimbledon, she'll almost certainly be No 1 this summer. If she doesn't...it will be harder, but not implausible, and then it would be very ironic that she only manages to get to No 1 when she's not holding a Slam.

And that way joining a club of Kim, Lindsay and Amelie. Interesting will people call Maria na undeserving #1 then? What about press?

azmad_88
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:31 PM
if maria constantly draw kim and justine...in those tourny...they will met either Sf or QF...so its tough..same goes to linz

WIMBLY2004
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Maria lost to Kim once after her breakthrough, two losses to JHH happened on clay and she actually beat JHH on hard court. People talk like Maria stands no chance agaist them on hardcourt :rolleyes: The thing is that they haven't played enough for us to predict the future results between them.

Szymanowski
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I'm 100% sure she will. I think she's likely to this year.

Szymanowski
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Maria lost to Kim once after her breakthrough, two losses to JHH happened on clay and she actually beat JHH on hard court. People talk like Maria stands no chance agaist them on hardcourt :rolleyes: The thing is that they haven't played enough for us to predict the future results between them.
True, they haven't played enough to predict the results between them, but remember when Maria beat JHH she was in her first (or was it 2nd?) tournie back from injury.

azmad_88
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:02 PM
but u have to admit the belgians have a better game and possibly can beat maria on most of the surfaces... justine lost to maria at her first tourny back...so no shock there..in fact it was 3 sets. kim really really dominated maria...so i dont think maria can beat them constantly during the hard court series..maybe one win against either of them..kim and justine will be at almost all the tourny..so its tough for kim AND lindsay... never forget serena and other russians too

Slumpsova
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:03 PM
even i hate it, Maria will definitely be #1 by the US Open.

Lindsay can prevent her from doing that if she had played more tournament in the last six months, but obviously she didn't care :rolleyes:

damn it! :fiery: :mad: :banghead:

azmad_88
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:05 PM
i am very very sure maria will get to number 1....for sure..but when... ?????

Andrew..
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:32 PM
As people have been saying, Lindsay didn't get alot of bonus points last summer. Her only top ten bonus points were from Venus, Serena and Myskina. She hasn't lost before the final of any outdoor tournament in California since 2003. She's a lock for at least the semis in every tournament out there.

And, Maria isn't playing alot this summer. She's only commited to San Diego and Toronto.

Even if Maria gets #1, the chances of her being year end #1 are very slim. She has huge points to defend all of October and November. After Filderstadt last year, Lindsay was sick and had poor results and did not play much. Lindsay will almost surely gain at the YEC, and Maria can't. If Maria gets to #1, she won't have it for very long.

mrush2004
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:55 PM
As people have been saying, Lindsay didn't get alot of bonus points last summer. Her only top ten bonus points were from Venus, Serena and Myskina. She hasn't lost before the final of any outdoor tournament in California since 2003. She's a lock for at least the semis in every tournament out there.

And, Maria isn't playing alot this summer. She's only commited to San Diego and Toronto.

Even if Maria gets #1, the chances of her being year end #1 are very slim. She has huge points to defend all of October and November. After Filderstadt last year, Lindsay was sick and had poor results and did not play much. Lindsay will almost surely gain at the YEC, and Maria can't. If Maria gets to #1, she won't have it for very long.

i thought she's playing in los angeles as well?

MissJessou
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I'm sure Sharapova is going to be #1 one day. Probably before the end of the 2005 season. And after all, she's only 18. She has a lot of time in front of her to become world #1.

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Even if Maria gets #1, the chances of her being year end #1 are very slim.

Clearly, you don't understand the rankings at all..

How on earth a Race leader's chances could be considered "very slim"? :confused:

Andrew..
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Clearly, you don't understand the rankings at all..

How on earth a Race leader's chances could be considered "very slim"? :confused:
She is 140 points ahead of Davenport, with more tournaments. Davenport will play more tournaments over the summer and gain. Maria has never done very well on the summer hardcourts. Lindsay should pull ahead of her in the Race over the summer.

And I was simply pointing out that people were talking about how mcuh Lindsay has to defend over the summer, but not saying that Maria has loads to defend this fall, while Lindsay can gain everywhere but Filderstadt.

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:37 PM
She is 140 points ahead of Davenport, with more tournaments. Davenport will play more tournaments over the summer and gain.

I am not even sure that Davenport won't call it quits right away if she wins W. Or she can get hurt any day, as she is much more injury-prone.

Maria has never done very well on the summer hardcourts. Lindsay should pull ahead of her in the Race over the summer.

There are a lot of things that she has never done well before this year. Sharapova earned more points than Lindsay on spring hardcourts. the chances are that Davenport might simply lose tomorrow, and byt the hardcourts time Sharapova could have 600 points lead.

[And I was simply pointing out that people were talking about how mcuh Lindsay has to defend over the summer, but not saying that Maria has loads to defend this fall, while Lindsay can gain everywhere but Filderstadt.

You simply said "very slim" which is , frankly, a ridiculous statement.

silverwhite
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Q. In Japan we print stamps with you. All this publicity is helping you to climb to No. 1 of the world ranking?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Those things definitely don't help me to become No. 1. What helps me to become No. 1 is the hard work I put in on the practice courts. Not the stamps, that's for sure.

densuprun
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM
What most people don't realize is that Maria may become #1 MUCH earlier than they expect. In fact, if Lindsay loses tomorrow and Maria wins the title she may become #1 RIGHT AFTER WIMBLEDON. All she will need is 983 points. At the moment the most she can get is 1036 (remember, assuming Lindsay loses to Clijsters) so she doesn't even need Mauresmo (132 quality points) in the final to get those 983 that she needs. Dementieva or Myskina will be fine, too (but not Clijsters). I expect Maria to become #1 in August, perhaps, as early as August 1.

Geisha
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Hold up, you bitches...What is all this talk about Lindsay vs. Maria battling it out for Number One? I mean, Justine has NO points to defend until the US Open (other than the Olympics, but I'm not sure how that works out.) If she reaches the finals in three tournaments, she'll be gaining a ton of points, won't she? I think she and Kim both have pretty good chances of being in the top 4 and 8 by the US Open.

Plus, we can't forget that Maria has three titles and a Tier I final after the US Open. I doubt she will be able to equal those points.

densuprun
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:24 PM
It's about Maria reaching #1 before US Open, not what happens afterwards. And she still has excellent chances to be year end #1 as she is the Race leader.

Davenselesport
Aug 25th, 2005, 02:40 AM
After this round, Lindsay is now nearly 800 points in front of Maria-

Does anyone know what it would take for Maria to reach #1? I'm assuming some time during the American hardcourts...

bump :D