PDA

View Full Version : What has been the biggest upset so far?

twight6
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:15 PM
What as been the biggest upset as of the end of the 3rd round? (serena hasn't played yet). Vote!

Allez-H
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Obviously Justine

faboozadoo15
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:23 PM
mashona over amy frazier was the REAL stunner for me. that girl should have made her first semifinal here... :sad:
i had a bigtime feeling justine would crash and burn.

twight6
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Obviously Justine

not really. although she won rg, she didn't play at all on grass, has never won Wimbledon, or any tournament on grass for that matter. She came into this tournament just expecting to play well, when she hadn't played since the french which is almost the exact opposite of wimbledon. She got stuck with a tricky draw, facing eleni in round 1. Daniilidou is a very tricky player who has always done good on grass, and Justine is a player who hasn't really done that well on grass in the past. Based on this, it was not really expected but believed to be highly possible, and it happened. Sure, it's the 7th seed losing, but many people had a really good idea it oculd happen.

jfk
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:25 PM
The only ones I'd call upsets were the Henin-Hardenne, Golovin, and Razzano matches. The other matches were even.

.ivy.
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Justine. Even though she hadn't played a grass match in 2 years, and had no warm up preparation, she was still considered a heavy favorite.

twight6
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:34 PM
The only ones I'd call upsets were the Henin-Hardenne, Golovin, and Razzano matches. The other matches were even.

i know :o. I needed more to fill in so i put in any that were unseeded over seeded. I think the peschke batch could also be considered an "upset"

Allez-H
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:36 PM
not really. although she won rg, she didn't play at all on grass, has never won Wimbledon, or any tournament on grass for that matter. She came into this tournament just expecting to play well, when she hadn't played since the french which is almost the exact opposite of wimbledon. She got stuck with a tricky draw, facing eleni in round 1. Daniilidou is a very tricky player who has always done good on grass, and Justine is a player who hasn't really done that well on grass in the past. Based on this, it was not really expected but believed to be highly possible, and it happened. Sure, it's the 7th seed losing, but many people had a really good idea it oculd happen.

I fail to understand this statement over ad over. hat do you call a final and two semifinal in her previous 4 Wimby's? And add to that a title at Rosmalen.
Well, you're right. She was probably so darn lucky for three straight years :yeah: Lucky bitch...

tennisIlove09
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I thought JHH won a grass warm up in 2002? or maybe it was 2003?

Anyways, it was a HUGE shock. Yes she had won Paris and no warm ups, BUT look at her recent track record at Wimbledon: F-SF-SF-DNP. She was a heavy favorite.

tennisIlove09
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:39 PM
my bad...JHH won a grass tune up in 2001

2001 'S-HERTOGENBOSCHGRASS J. HENIN-HARDENNE def. K. CLIJSTERS 6-4 3-6 6-3

ys
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM
There was only one real upset so far. JHH.

alexusjonesfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Arvidsson over Perebiynis obviously

*roddicksinme*
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM
thats not much of a question :p

azza
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM
only an American would put

1st Round: WASHINGTON, Mashona d. FRAZIER, Amy [28] 6-4, 4-6, 6-4

as an upset :rolleyes::retard: