PDA

View Full Version : Pierce has such great comments on Serena and Venus...I love MAry

NicoMary
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Q. A couple years ago when the Williams sisters came in here, it was sort of a foregone conclusion they would reach the finals. They might play in the fourth round. From your perspective, what's happened to Venus and Serena?

MARY PIERCE: I don't know. You know, they're the best people to ask.

Q. Do you sense they're not as engaged in the sport as they were before?

MARY PIERCE: You know, I don't know. I think Serena and Venus are really interesting girls. I like them a lot. I have admiration for them and respect. I think they're doing a lot of great things for women and sports on and off the court. Very interesting.

I think that they're really the best ones to ask I think of what's going on with them.

Q. Sometimes the Williams sisters are criticized for all their off‑court activities as a distraction. You had a very nice positive comment a moment ago about them being good for sports and for women. Can you expand on that a little bit, please? >

MARY PIERCE: Well, I think also for their color, it's great. You see a lot other girls that are coming out now, young girls in the USTA that are coming out and playing. I think that was great. We had Zina before and Laurie. You know, just for young girls in general, to get them out there and play sports and have confidence in themselves.

I think Venus and Serena do have confidence in themselves and they go after what they want and they know what they want. I think those are great qualities to have. To dream and to know that things can become reality.

Q. The off‑court activity has a plus side to it?

MARY PIERCE: You know, I don't know. I don't look at things that way actually. I look at things totally differently. If you're happy and you're doing what you want to do, it's great. That's all that really matters.

saby
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Yeah it's for that reason, some journalists don't like to interview Mary, she never says bad comments about a player, she is always nice with everybody!!!

GO MARY YOU CAN DO IT GIRL

Dawn Marie
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Mary is such a class act.

I liked her comment about how Venus and Serena are doing great thjings for WOMEN. it is so damn true.:) I also loved her "you need to ask them comments" But I especially loved the last three sentences.

WHATEVER MAKES YOU HAPPY WHICH IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS!!.:)

switz
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:26 PM
:lol: you would not be able to find many active high profile players that would say such glowing things about Justine, Venus and Serena in a few short weeks.

Mary is the best. Anyone who dislikes her is a moron. I'm sorry but it's true - I can understand disliking Patty but not Mary.

azinna
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Excellent handling of the press, Mary!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
That's so sweet of Mary. A lot of players could learn a thing or two from her about not disrespecting your opponents.

harloo
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Wow such classy comments from Mary. :worship:

Infiniti2001
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:35 PM
:lol: you would not be able to find many active high profile players that would say such glowing things about Justine, Venus and Serena in a few short weeks.

Mary is the best. Anyone who dislikes her is a moron. I'm sorry but it's true - I can understand disliking Patty but not Mary.

I personally don't know anyone who dislikes Miss Meryl :shrug:

treufreund
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Mary loves Venus, Serena, Justine, Amelie, Hingis, Morariu, Clijsters, etc, etc, etc. Boy she just LOVES everyone. LMAO

good on ya Mary Meryl Pierce and great work today to dispatch the overrated Ivanovic whose game is more suited to clay than grass. :D

AjdeNate!
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Allez!

Rocketta
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:02 PM
niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Mary is a smart sportswoman. She refuses to get into gossipmongering and saying things that aren't necessary.

saby
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I personally don't know anyone who dislikes Miss Meryl :shrug:

well apparently you didn't read the comments of the former english player "anabel croft"
Some of us dream to put her head in the toilet

THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT MARY

serenafan08
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Awwwww Mary!!!!! :hug: I love her - she's great.

thelittlestelf
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Mary!!! :hug: I really am glad to see her play well again and I'm always glad to read the nice things she has to say not just about Venus and Serena but about everyone... :)

SpikeyAidanm
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Mary :worship:

Midnite Surfer
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Mary loves Venus, Serena, Justine, Amelie, Hingis, Morariu, Clijsters, etc, etc, etc. Boy she just LOVES everyone. LMAO

good on ya Mary Meryl Pierce and great work today to dispatch the overrated Ivanovic whose game is more suited to clay than grass. :D

Your misery makes my day so much brighter. I missed you.

CooCooCachoo
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Very much true :worship:

mykarma
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Q. A couple years ago when the Williams sisters came in here, it was sort of a foregone conclusion they would reach the finals. They might play in the fourth round. From your perspective, what's happened to Venus and Serena?

MARY PIERCE: I don't know. You know, they're the best people to ask.

Q. Do you sense they're not as engaged in the sport as they were before?

MARY PIERCE: You know, I don't know. I think Serena and Venus are really interesting girls. I like them a lot. I have admiration for them and respect. I think they're doing a lot of great things for women and sports on and off the court. Very interesting.

I think that they're really the best ones to ask I think of what's going on with them.

Q. Sometimes the Williams sisters are criticized for all their off‑court activities as a distraction. You had a very nice positive comment a moment ago about them being good for sports and for women. Can you expand on that a little bit, please? >

MARY PIERCE: Well, I think also for their color, it's great. You see a lot other girls that are coming out now, young girls in the USTA that are coming out and playing. I think that was great. We had Zina before and Laurie. You know, just for young girls in general, to get them out there and play sports and have confidence in themselves.

I think Venus and Serena do have confidence in themselves and they go after what they want and they know what they want. I think those are great qualities to have. To dream and to know that things can become reality.

Q. The off‑court activity has a plus side to it?

MARY PIERCE: You know, I don't know. I don't look at things that way actually. I look at things totally differently. If you're happy and you're doing what you want to do, it's great. That's all that really matters.Wonderful post. Horray for Mary!

V-MAC
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:38 PM
wow this is very interesting coz I saw an article on teletext today or maybe it was Ceefax but with it's info based on this Mary interview and the article went on about how Mary was sounding the "death knell for the Williams sisters". :rolleyes: Some journalists can just twist anything into being negative :mad:

tennisIlove09
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Ive always loved Mary. She's wonderful. And Venus and Serena took after her in the on court fashion. Before the sisters, she was really the fashion diva! Kudos Mary!

THE NET
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I am so happy to see Mary playing well again. Hope she will go through QF and beat one of the Williams! They are not in their best shape.

I think it's true that the Williams pay more attention to other things else. But that is life. We, tennis fans, will be sad...but it the players' right to enjoy what they like.

You see Anna K.? She is not a tennis player anymore :sad:

Strange Famous
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:40 PM
A class act on and off the court

Mark Spruce
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Mary is such a class act.

Hey guys thanks for all the good words about Mary.

Mark

Volcana
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Mary Pierce had a long hard road to happy. It's not very likely you're gonna find her dissing other players now. She knows what its like to be miserable and a GS champ.