PDA

View Full Version : V. Williams (14) def. D. Hantuchova (20) 7-5 6-3

tennisIlove09
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Very high quality match! If Venus keeps this up, she'll go deep in this tournament! Venus only bad game of the match was when Hantuchova broke back for 3-3 in the second, giving Dani two doubles.

Nice win :woohoo:

Dani :sad: Good match though :hug:

silverwhite
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:28 PM
That was a great MP by Venus, scrambling and getting those balls back deep. :)

VRee_Willario
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I'm relieved Venus picked it up

In the second set it was first Venus 3-0 then 3-3, then she broke after a tight deuce game and won 6-3
Gongrats :worship:

FLL
She did play well but I'd like to see how she'll do against a more consistant opponent like probably Serena...

The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper she had on her head :tape:

faboozadoo15
that was by far the best match venus has played in a major in a lontime. also congrats to her, she did everything right.

tough luck for daniela, she could have held her nerve a little better at big moments.

ginger_fish668
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Good match from both players. Venus played very well. :yeah:

Daniela showed us how well she can play. But unfortunately she couldn't hold on a little longer. :sad:

grmbl
Great match.. Well done Venus and Danka!

CJ07
If Venus can keep improving she will do very well! Good luck V!

K-Dog
Just by the exact score I predicted!! JUst like with Maria. I said 6-2, 6-3, she won 6-2, 6-4. Great aggresive match against a high-quality opponent. Stick this up your ass mboyle!!

VRee_Willario
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Match Summary

Williams (USA) Hantuchova (SVK)

1st Serve % 41 of 61 = 67 % 45 of 74 = 61 %

Aces 0 1

Double Faults 4 5

Unforced Errors 21 21

Winning % on 1st Serve 27 of 41 = 66 % 26 of 45 = 58 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 10 of 20 = 50 % 12 of 29 = 41 %

Winners (Including Service) 26 18

Receiving Points Won 36 of 74 = 49 % 24 of 61 = 39 %

Break Point Conversions 5 of 8 = 63 % 2 of 5 = 40 %

Net Approaches 11 of 15 = 73 % 5 of 12 = 42 %

Total Points Won 73 62

Fastest Serve 119 MPH 109 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed 108 MPH 100 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed 85 MPH 89 MPH

vutt
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Venus :) Now go take that title!!

However little to tight score for me. Hantu sucked on grass this year with two low Tier first round losses. :confused:

VRee_Willario
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:32 PM
There's somthing wrong with statistics. Venus did have aces, one 119mph I remember :confused:

Shoulderpova
too bad, Venus has to play against Serena in the fourth round :mad:

Rising Sun
Congrats Vee! :D

Staticbeef
Great match, my Queen, came to the net a bit ah!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

VeeReeDavJCap81
I got a little nervous at 3-3 2nd set, but Venus obviously didn't. Great match.

VRee_Willario
Venus had more winners than errors and that's a good thing

tterb
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Not a bad quality match at all! Well done, girls!

Good sign for Venus that her play is picking up against better opponents. I definitely saw some glimpses of her top form in the match. Keep winning, Venus! :D

Daniela :sad: Good effort, but you've got to take your opportunities when they come. Losing games from 40-0 up is not good. But the talent was visible this match. Just put it together consistently, Daniela.

Also, work on the footwork Dani... Every time Venus hit a shot that landed shorter than Daniela anticipated, she didn't move up toward the ball to hit it. She reached for the shot, and pushed it into the net. That happened several times. Also, net play could have been improved... It seemed she made some poor decisions up there at times.

Overall, fun match though, ladies. :)

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Daniela should of been up 6-5 since she had 40-0 at 5 all!! :fiery: And Daniela had many chances on Venus' Serve at 0-30 many times.. Plus Daniela could of been leading the second set if she didnt come out acting like she didnt want to be there and hitting 4 errors.. She should of also held at 3-3 since she had some bad line calls.. Daniela needs to fight throughout the entire match.. not just parts :rolleyes:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Daniela should of been up 6-5 since she had 40-0 at 5 all!! :fiery: And Daniela had many chances on Venus' Serve at 0-30 many times.. Plus Daniela could of been leading the second set if she didnt come out acting like she didnt want to be there and hitting 4 errors.. She should of also held at 3-3 since she had some bad line calls.. Daniela needs to fight throughout the entire match.. not just parts :rolleyes:

I don't know about all that. Daniela played well, but Venus played better. It's really hard to beat Venus if she makes less errors than winners. But Daniela did good, and I can see her improving.

VRee_Willario
But Venus hit two winners to get to 30-40 iin that game , then Dani netted after a nice rally
Both hit some doubles, Venus was doing good expext one game she hit two of them

vettipooh
Really nice match from both. Congrats, Vee!!:yeah: Small lapse in 2nd set, but she pulled it off. Nice service game, overall. Good to see her in 2nd week and into 4th round.....where 'you know who' siad she wouldn't be....:p

tennisbum79
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:38 PM
There's somthing wrong with statistics. Venus did have aces, one 119mph I remember :confused:

Agree

VRee_Willario
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Really nice match from both. Congrats, Vee!!:yeah: Small lapse in 2nd set, but she pulled it off. Nice service game, overall. Good to see her in 2nd week and into 4th round.....where 'you know who' said she wouldn't be....:p

:p :p :p :p for them

:lol:

Venus Forever
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Great victory from Venus!!

Keep it going, and take out lil' sis in the next round. ;)

:banana: :bounce: :yippee:

Foot_Fault
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM

It wasn't an ace, it was 119 service winner(unreturnable) Dani got her raquet on it.

Mike_T
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Did Richard Williams get that rat? Richard is working for Wimbledon pest control this year. The hawks are let out to control the pigeons while RW stalks the seating area, armed with a tennis shoe, ready to hit the pesky rodents on the bonce.......except he’s not supposed to be working during play :rolleyes:

VRee_Willario
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM
It wasn't an ace, it was 119 service winner(unreturnable) Dani got her raquet on it.
Yeah, Daniela does have reach, It's just srange Venus had no aces, serving really well :confused:

GoSandrine
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:45 PM
She did play well but I'd like to see how she'll do against a more consistant opponent like probably Serena...

The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper she had on her head :tape:

Congrats!!! :yeah:

Only Vee could make a fashion statement with toilet tissue :lol:

Derek.
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Danka :sad: But you played a good match. Had chances, but didn't convert..

Shuji Shuriken
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Venus :hearts: :kiss: :hearts:...great win for you Venus, and good try for you too Daniela :kiss:, but Venus is Venus and I could never go against her. Good luck against your next opponent Venus :p. Fearless Venus rules.

Lemonskin.
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Exact same score that she beat Prattitude by...

akosijepoy
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Awesome match!!!

GO VENUS!!! :)

blumaroo
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Daniela couldn't take the chances but props to Venus. SHe can beat Serena if she comes out firing.

jfk
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:56 PM
This doesn't tell me much about Venus' progress. Sure, she played her best match in a long time, no doubt. BUT...Hantuchova is a great opponent to play if you want to get into a rhythm. She hits the ball flat and with the right amount of pace. She doesn't try much variety (except for drop shots which play right into Venus' excellent front and back footwork) and makes mistakes to help opponents out.

Unfortunately, Serena is also not a player Venus can measure herself against for obvious reasons. Same goes for Pierce in the QF, since Mary is basically hit or miss and would determine the match. I'd like to see Venus play someone like Danilidou...should show whether she's ready to be at a top level again.

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Glad to see it was a great match and I am sad to miss it (I had to take my car through inspection:o ), but I was listening to updates on the radio. I must admit I got nervous when I heard Venus was up 3-0, but then was tied 3-3, but when I didn't heard any future updated on the match, I figured she probably won and I was correct:).

I am also happy to see she cleaned up her game from the last match. If she plays like this in the next round, regardless of if he plays Serena or Jill, I think she will go on to the quarterfinal.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM
This doesn't tell me much about Venus' progress. Sure, she played her best match in a long time, no doubt. BUT...Hantuchova is a great opponent to play if you want to get into a rhythm. She hits the ball flat and with the right amount of pace. She doesn't try much variety (except for drop shots which play right into Venus' excellent front and back footwork) and makes mistakes to help opponents out.

Unfortunately, Serena is also not a player Venus can measure herself against for obvious reasons. Same goes for Pierce in the QF, since Mary is basically hit or miss and would determine the match. I'd like to see Venus play someone like Danilidou...should show whether she's ready to be at a top level again.

I honestly don't think Venus would have trouble with Daniilidou. It might be a close match, but Venus would prevail because she's a lot faster than Eleni.

UDiTY
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Vee!:D :bounce:

Great job girl, too bad I didn't get to see it!

Good luck against Serena! You can do it!

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:05 PM
This was a very solid match and Venus should take many good things from this. Very good first serves, the forehand was very solid today. It seemed to me that her racquet head speed was much faster today and she was eager to get to every ball, they ultimate key in keeping her errors down. Yes it was close, and she did lose her lead in the 2nd, but other then that, a very nice performance. She did her thing and now she needs to do it again against Serena or Jill...

Keep it up Venus, you can do this! :bounce:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:07 PM
This was a very solid match and Venus should take many good things from this. Very good first serves, the forehand was very solid today. It seemed to me that her racquet head speed was much faster today and she was eager to get to every ball, they ultimate key in keeping her errors down. Yes it was close, and she did lose her lead in the 2nd, but other then that, a very nice performance. She did her thing and now she needs to do it again against Serena or Jill...

Keep it up Venus, you can do this! :bounce:

Venus did her thing, and at one point had 79% first serves in.

azinna
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Solid stuff from Venus. I like the focus and sharpness. She needs to improve a few things to be certain of a run to the semis/finals. But her performance today was quite good.

I think we're very slowly, over the next few months, going to get back a version of Venus 2000 or 2001. The only thing missing will be the 120mph 1st serve. She's decided to try to raise the 1st serve % and go for placement and protect that 2nd serve while she tries to improve it. The results have, of course, been mixed. Her service games are no longer quite in her hands as before. And against the top returners, she can get stuck playing defense for 1/2 the match.

And the defensive outlook can get contagious. As it did today when her serve went off. Even on balls you'd expect Venus to step into, you watched in amazement as a medium-paced rallying shot was produced. She resorted very quickly to a gameplan to mix things up, to rely equally on flashes of aggression and topspinned strokes that either sat deep and high, begging her opponent to hit past her, or suddenly skimmed the net and landed real short, drawing a shot into the net (a la Federer).

Smart stuff. But it can backfire against the very best. It WON'T only IF each of those 3/4-pace shots are executed with aggressive intent: close-to-the-lines, either deep or intelligently and opportunistically angled, with the idea of moving the opponent around, out of her comfort zone, and coming in to knock off the floater. And her defense should played like she did that very last point. If folks ever wondered why she won her slams with that attackable 2nd serve, all one needs to do is tape that last point and hit: Replay.

Meanwhile, stay intelligently aggressive, Venus. And remember that you're on a grass court.

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:12 PM

She did at this year's AO and won 6-1, 7-5:o

Plus, Daniilidou is down in her match 4-6, 1-3, so Venus may not get the chance to play her.

Tennisaddict
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Congrats Venus, she played a good match and finished it in straights :bounce:.
She looks really fit to me, she was getting a lot of balls back and she looked sharp at the net. If she comes in more and hits her groundstrokes a bit deeper she will get really dangerous. It's really sad though that her fourth round match will probably be against Serena :mad:.

Infiniti2001
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:17 PM
WooHoo! very encouraged by what I've read about the match ;) . I'm on vacation with no ESPN :fiery: Go Venus ; please pick it up even more in the 4th rd :bounce:

Kart
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I was glad to see Venus hit a bit more consistently and keep calm.

She will have to pick it up even more though for the next round I'm afraid.

Daniela played well but she could have pushed things much further if she'd not gotten down on herself.

Venus Forever
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Solid stuff from Venus. I like the focus and sharpness. She needs to improve a few things to be certain of a run to the semis/finals. But her performance today was quite good.

I think we're very slowly, over the next few months, going to get back a version of Venus 2000 or 2001. The only thing missing will be the 120mph 1st serve. She's decided to try to raise the 1st serve % and go for placement as well as to protect that 2nd serve while she tries to improve it. The results have, of course, been mixed. Her service games are no longer quite in her hands as before. And aginst the top returners, she'll get stuck playing defense for 1/2 the match.

And the defensive outlook can get contagious. Even on balls you'd expect Venus to step into, you watch in amazement as a medium-paced rallying shot is produced. She seems to have adopted a gameplan to mix things up by relying equally on topspin-forcing-the-error strokes and flashes of aggression (a la Clijsters?). Yes, she is no longer fiercely punishing serves, returns and groundstrokes with regularity (that was more Serena's game anyway). But she is forcing errors by begging her opponents to hit past her, or by suddenly hitting real short and drawing a shot into the net.

Smart stuff. But can backfire against the very best. It WON'T only IF each of those 3/4-pace shots are executed with aggressive intent: that is, they must be close-to-the-lines, either deep or intelligently and opportunistically angled, with the idea of moving the opponent around, out of her comfort zone. And Venus must up the frequency of those flashes of true aggression. And her defense should played like she did that very last point. If folks ever wondered why she won her slams with that 2nd serve, all s/he needs to do is tape that last point and hit: Replay.
I agree with your sentiment.

I just hope we do eventually get that Venus back who did step into most of her shots, from her serve to her groundstrokes.

One other problem, I see, that could be easily corrected, is Venus' footwork. When the ball is hit to her, and she is all set up, I notice she hits more errors than she should. She doesn't move her feet to set the shot up, and just swings through, creating some errors along the way.

Avid Merrion
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:38 PM
:yeah: congrats Venus! good win today :kiss:

Sevenseas
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Congratulations Venus!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck for the rest of the tournament!!!! :bigclap:

volta
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
i didn´t saw the match but from what yall are saying the first set was close cuz it was very good played wich means that Vee was in great form in this match :bounce: :bounce:

Vee :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

now the nightmare match will be done :sad: so bad that they have to face each other in the 4rd round :sad:

aNYthing
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Great win for Vee today, and she looked stunning again...

hotandspicey
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Great consistency from Vee today. Wtg girl. keep it up.:bounce: Into the fourth round just like i expected. :bounce:

cometz9
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Venus :rocker2: Great match, i can't wait for next round.
Dani :sad: you played a great 1st set but keep it up, i know you'll be on your way back to the top again.

thelittlestelf
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Venus played a great match today :hearts:... I just love watching Venus play well. Daniela played well too and she had a good tournament here, good luck in the rest of the year Daniela :kiss:.

Well done Venus!

V-MAC
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I don't know about all that. Daniela played well, but Venus played better. It's really hard to beat Venus if she makes less errors than winners. But Daniela did good, and I can see her improving.

;) Just like I said Thursday after Vee beat Pratt, that she should be able to handle Hantuchova in this match quite straight forwardly if she was just able to keep her winners/unforced errors ratio in check and she did just that :D Well done Vee :bounce: :bounce: I got to see the whole match on tv and I was mightily impressed with Vee for the most part except for that little blip in the second set where she threw Dani a lifeline up 3-0. That first set though was so high quality, possibly one of the highest quality sets of the tournament so far. Venus made so few errors and it was difficult for her to be serving a game down all the time, especially at 4-5 but she held her nerve and once she got that crucial break in the first set, it was great to see Vee bouncing around that court in excitment with that old hunger and desire back in her eyes :bounce: :D Second set was a bit ropey but Daniela played some awesome tennis and had some superb tactics, i.e like serving constantly to Vee's forehand to open up the court for her. Fortunately, Vee's forehand was quite sizzling today :cool: and I just loved the last point of the match where Vee leaped around 3 feet in the air to avoid the ball hitting her :lol: A very satisying match for Venus and it sure ranks as one of her best performances of the year :)

Now to mention something else from that match, what was going on with Richard and that shoe in his hand?! :tape: :lol: Anabel Croft who was commentating on the match said that Dani was trying to gesture to Richard in the first set ( think it was at around 5-5) to shut up or something but I think it was more likely she was just showing her frustration at Nigel.

Sportfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Good job Venus :)

thelittlestelf
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I also really liked Venus's intensity on the court, she's showing a LOT of positive emotion in a very "Venus" type of way. Just like she used to! :)

beauty_is_pink
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:11 PM
nice try Daniela. great first set :yeah: :hug:

Deuce Court
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Anyone noticed the interaction between Hantuchova and Richard Williams? Daniela was very unhappy with the fact that Richard was talking between points, I think? She was distracted by it. Anyway, I sure did notice that Venus didn't like what Daniela was doing because she immediately hit a FH DTL winner. I found it very funny! :D

raquel
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Well done Venus :yeah: Suddenly the draw's opened up a bit with Serena out. Good luck on Monday, Venus.

Kabezya
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Congrats to Venus :) Some positive things today.

Martian Willow
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Dani was playing quite well till Richard started waving his shoes around like a moron.

RVD
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Congratulations Venus! :bounce:
Maybe it's just my imagination, but she seems more intense now.
Hope she keeps it up and reclaims that little dish she misplaced a few years ago. ;)

LucasArg
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:21 PM
I am glad Venus won it in straight sets. Daniela played very well and Venus managed to pull it off.

Congrats Vee!!! :wavey:

Kabezya
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Congratulations Venus! :bounce:
Maybe it's just my imagination, but she seems more intense now.
Hope she keeps it up and reclaims that little dish she misplaced a few years ago. ;)

I hope so. I didn't get to see the match but I like hearing abouther intensity in matches and focus.

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Dani was playing quite well till Richard started waving his shoes around like a moron.

And that ws supposed to have caused her to lose?

Give me a break.:rolleyes:

Nemesis
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Venus :cool:

Great. now finally get over that R4 barrier again. Punish that damn Craybas for beating your sister. And then beat the crap out of the other players too, especially the one that she may encounter in the SF :p

Mike_T
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Dani was playing quite well till Richard started waving his shoes around like a moron.As has already been explained in this thread, that was merely ‘Richards Rapid Response Rodent Control’ in action.

selyoink
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Nice effort from Daniela but Venus was just the better player.

Venus should make the semis now that Serena is gone as well as Justine.

azinna
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:34 AM
...One other problem, I see, that could be easily corrected, is Venus' footwork. When the ball is hit to her, and she is all set up, I notice she hits more errors than she should. She doesn't move her feet to set the shot up, and just swings through, creating some errors along the way.

VForever, yes, very observant. She's had that problem since at least the late-90s. For a while, only Hingis picked up on it, and of course that little genius exploited it for as long as she could. Venus didn't really make efforts to correct things until she hit her prime in 2000 and 2001 and found herself the target of a well-designed, effective game plan executed by Davenport and JCap that had as a central principle the hitting of several deep, solid-paced shot right to the middle of the court, then getting the error or waiting for a short, looped response, then going for the winner.

Venus and her team caught and corrected things, but unfortunately, this problem is pretty much the last thing to go, and then only during one of Venus' few and far between "Tennis 24/7" periods. The day you watch a match where that error is non-existent is the day you know she's spent the last two-three months on court.

RatedR Superstar
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:01 AM
daniela fought hard but made some costly mistakes, she did showed some signs of brilliance but venus is venus and daniela is daniela..good job for daniela though, congrats to venus and her fans.

Jakeev
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Was pretty impressed with how well Dani actually competed with Venus today. She actually outright several points in the match which accounted for her 18 winners and I think at least a dozen forced errors.

But Venus was still much quicker and played the bigger points well and so now she has a date with her sister's conqueror, a player I really think Venus will dominate if she plays at least at the level she did today.

deja_entendu
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Again, Daniela isn't really that good. She hits hard and flat but not the hardest or flattest, and she's not quick and she makes errors. Good serve though I suppose.

Still she's a good warm-up for potential match-ups with Pierce and/or Sharapova.

icequeen
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:30 PM
As has already been explained in this thread, that was merely ‘Richards Rapid Response Rodent Control’ in action.

There's something about Iroda I really like. I am hoping she comes back strong.

*JR*
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Again, Daniela isn't really that good. She hits hard and flat but not the hardest or flattest, and she's not quick and she makes errors. Good serve though I suppose.

Still she's a good warm-up for potential match-ups with Pierce and/or Sharapova.
You just described Dani to an "I" (the letter she's shaped like). Of course, the Barbie Doll's savants in that cult called The Cocktail Party will never admit how ordinary she really is. Oh well, a few more gin and tonics to wash away their sorrows. :lol:

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Venus did her thing, and at one point had 79% first serves in.

She was also 100% at the net for a large portion of the match. This is the only match I've seen so far, and I was happy to see Venus playing better. I thought her forehand was also pretty reliable. If she can keep this up, she has a good chance.