PDA

View Full Version : Mary def. Ana 61 64

pierce0415
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Mary adds Ana's scalp to the list of teenagers she has defeated over the past year: Sharapova, Golovin, Peng, Anna C, Douchevina, Vaidisova, Safarova.

pierce0415
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM
For all of you that were predicting Ana to beat Mary easily and then reach the QF / SF, :tape:. Yes Ana played well and beat her 2 opponents in straight sets but those opponents were not 1/5 the calibre of Mary

Mary served 75% first serves in while Ana 49%

Mary had 6 UE while Ana 13

Mary had 24 Winners while Ana 21

Mary was 19 of 22 (86%) at net. Ana was only 54% successfull.

The only stat Ana led was serving, although slightly. Both women served 115 mph. Ana first serve average 105 mph but Mary average 103 mph. Ana 2nd serve average 93 mph but Mary average 90 mph.

random fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Mary adds Ana's scalp to the list of teenagers she has defeated over the past year: Sharapova, Golovin, Peng, Anna C, Douchevina, Vaidisova, Safarova.

Yeap she is good at dealing with teenagers. I think she feels an extra motivation when playing against them.

Shoulderpova
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Just didn't think Mary wins this match so easily.
She struggled and faced mp against Vakulenko.

Lemonskin.
Fwaha!

TatiAnnahølic
Mary :banana: :banana:

amnesiac
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:
i never expect it in that way.
what a match and look at the stats.
great mach for her.
:worship:

VivalaSeles
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Great win, Mary !!!!!! :D :D

Andrew..
Just didn't think Mary wins this match so easily.
She struggled and faced mp against Vakulenko.
With Mary, you should know to absolutely ignore previous rounds. :p

motta
Great job Mary!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

VivalaSeles
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:28 PM
24 W against 6 UE :D :D Mary was on FIRE !!!!
75% 1st serves :D

pierce0415
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I like both players but sooooo happy Mary won. Looks like an aggressive match from both but Ana just ran into a player on fire

Elldee
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
She's in fine fettle! Danillidou next maybe? It'd be cool to see Mary in the quarters against Venus or Serena.

NicoMary
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Mary is just the QUeennnnn:worship: :hearts:

She'll kick everybodies ass HIHIHI..... :bounce:

SilK
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Mary! :D Wimbledon 2005... :tape:

Come on girl! Try to steer shit up at Wimbly! :D

Too bad Ana! :(

alibaby
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:35 PM
fulll respect,mary-baby!!to beat an in-form player like ana like that,is a great effort!!

whorehand
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:36 PM
That was one of the best performances I've ever seen Mary play! She mixed it up so well, coming in to net several times, hitting great drive volleys, and playing a few drop shots that really threw Ana. She served amazingly too. Ana didn't play a bad match at all, but just couldn't find any rhythm. I thought she might muster a resugerence in the last game, hitting 2 clean winners off mary's first serves, but Mary managed to pound in a few harder ones! Great match - really high quality! :)

ezekiel
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Too little too late there eh Ana?

Mary must have played a hell of a game.

Chunchun
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:38 PM

huh when did Mary def. Sharapova?? :confused:

aimee20
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM
With Mary, you should know to absolutely ignore previous rounds. :p

that's so true

I'm so happy for this win
good luck nex round Mary :bounce:

Clai
Props to Mary

ashwu
i wish i could watch this match...

ashwu
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:41 PM

us open 2004

:Rawwb:
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Mary played a great match :D

sebbe
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Last year in Usopen.

:Rawwb:
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Us Open i think, but not sure

switz
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:45 PM
i feel very validated. i said Mary "surprising easily" and it was. ivanovic is going to be a great player but she was being given far too much hype here. most of that thread about this match said ana easily and that she is only player who can stop sharapova :tape: the expectations were just too high of her.

sebbe
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:45 PM
So happy for Mary....never thought that she would go trough so easy.

switz
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:48 PM
i'm not usually the "i told you so" kind of person but i knew that match versus Julia would be good for Mary. she almost always plays spectactular tennis the next match if she scraps through a match.

big chance here for Mary to produce another great GS result!!

améliemomo
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:50 PM
bravo mary!great job!

Maria Croft
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Mary is on fire !! better watch out for her !!

saby
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Great job Mary, it feels good to see that Mary is back, the last 4 years had been horrible with all this injuries...Mary is a wonderful player and people forget that very often.

Good luck for next round, but I'm already proud of her

vutt
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Ho-ho! I like when older laydies do put teens where they belong. ;)

pierce0415
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Pierce Halts Ivanovic's RunSaturday, June 25, 2005

French Open finalist Mary Pierce brushed aside the 17-year-old Serbian Ana Ivanovic on Saturday to win a place in the last 16. In marked contrast to her struggle in the previous round, Pierce saw off the six-foot Wimbledon debutant with some ease, strolling away with the match 6-1, 6-4.

Pierce, now 30, took her time finding her way to No.3 Court, leaving her opponent to cool her heels for some five minutes before the warm-up could begin. But there was nothing leisurely about the way she demolished her opponent. Ivanovic, one of the sport's most intriguing young prospects, could do nothing to halt the tide.

Yet the contrast between the frequently strained-looking Pierce and the confident young Ivanovic could hardly be more marked. The Serbian teenager has a superstition; however many times she chooses to bounce the ball the first time she delivers serve in a match, she must continue to do the same until the last ball is struck.

Today she opted for just the one bounce, meaning she set about the business of getting the ball in court like lightning by comparison with Pierce.

Perhaps she should have taken her time. It was Pierce who got into her stride first, confidently demolishing the Serbian's serve for 3-1.

But, as observers had anticipated, Ivanovic was soon testing 30-year-old Pierce's speed about the court, requiring the Frenchwoman to save two points for the immediate break back. If Ivanovic could have got her first serve in consistently, it might have made all the difference.

As it was, Pierce was in the ascendancy, her powerful groundstrokes proving too strong. She broke again, and the set sprinted past in 32 minutes.

This was not the match which had been anticipated. Only on Thursday Pierce struggled horribly to edge past Julia Vakulenko, ranked 200.

Sure, Pierce is by far the more experienced, and came to Wimbledon fresh from her glorious run to the French Open final. But Ivanovic made a Slam breakthrough of her own at Roland Garros, defeating hometown heroine Amelie Mauresmo on her way to the quarter-finals.

Furthermore, she knows her way around a grass court having reached the junior final here a year ago. It is nine years since Pierce's best career performance here, when she reached the quarter-finals.

Yet Ivanovic could do nothing to alter the pattern of the match. She gifted the Frenchwoman an immediate break with a wild forehand, and Pierce was enjoying herself, grinning frequently and clenching her fist throughout the match.

Despite this result, Ivanovic remains a wonderful prospect. She jumped 608 places up the world rankings last year, and in January captured her first title, as a qualifier in Canberra, before reaching the third round on her Slam debut in Australia.

Pierce, meanwhile, has a good draw and knows she has a chance to equal her previous best Wimbledon display this year.

ezekiel
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
After the first hold , Mary went on a 7 game run for 6-1, 2-0 lead and than apparently it was too late. Ana played ok but she didn't dictate the game like she usually can and Mary was just too good today.

selestribe
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Ana played ok

I've watched the match and Ana played really bad. She was just playing shots, but had no strategy, no plans. Her serve was very poor, she missed a lot of forehands and has offered some games because she wasn't focused on her game enough ... just like she wasn't concerned.
This was a very disappointing match, even if Mary played great

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM
OMFG! I'm happy that you proved me wrong! :D Allez Mary! :banana:

EVERY 5 YEARS!! EVERY 5 YEARS!! IT'S ALL YOURS, MARY!! :banana:

ezekiel
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I've watched the match and Ana played really bad. She was just playing shots, but had no strategy, no plans. Her serve was very poor, she missed a lot of forehands and has offered some games because she wasn't focused on her game enough ... just like she wasn't concerned.
This was a very disappointing match, even if Mary played great

I believe you, I didn't see the match fully. Just bits and pieces. I guess it was one of those off days for Ana. For better or worse she hasn't learned to adjust during the game just in between the matches.

Berlin_Calling
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:53 PM
:D I knew Mary would turn it around to play a perfect match that long match against Julia. She showed all the doubters how she handles all the young guns :bounce:

Markus
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:05 PM
make the list complete, mary!

australian open 1995
french open 2000
wimbledon 2005 ???

what about usopen 2010 ;)

tterb
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Impressive, Mary!

Looks like everyone's expectations were a bit high for Ivanovic, but wow... Didn't expect it to be quite this easy on grass. Stats-wise, it doesn't seem like it was a bad match for Ana... When Mary's on her game, though :bolt:

saby
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I watched the whole match and I think Mary forced Ana to play bad...

morbidangle
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Mary was awesome today, didnt let Ana play her game. Ana didnt play her best match, but she certainly didnt play bad. 22 winners and 14 errors is a good performance. Mary was just better.

Slumpsova
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:55 PM
this is scary :scared:

Auntie Mary will rise up to top ten again!

*Jool*
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Congrats Mary and thx for making my day among these awful results :rolleyes:
I knew I cd trust you , now beat Pennetta and reach QF , good luck :kiss: :bounce:

Ceze
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM
:yeah: Mary!! Good luck for your next match ;)

rsunderji
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Mary is just a fighter and I think she has a real shot at this tournament, and she is looking so hot beating everyone...Go Mary

gmak
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:05 PM
omg mary :worship: :yeah: :D :kiss: she put ivanovic in her place ;)

now mary has a real shot for the semis :D

keep it up girl, you are on fire! :)

Havok
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Allez Mary, nice win.:D

selyoink
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I didn't expect Mary to perform very well at Wimbledon but she is proving me wrong. She easily dispatched Ivanovic. Mary has a very good chance at making another semi-final.

Daniel
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Ana :sad:

hingis-seles
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Go Mary! Go Mary!

Andy.
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:13 AM
What done Mary on a hugely impressive win. Keep it up

Scotso
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:36 AM
awesome match, Mary... you're on fire. keep it up! :D

Jakeev
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Mary is 7-2 against teenagers this year. But darling, that does not include Golovin or Sharapova.

And I guess you can figure out what teenager Mary's two losses were too.......

Shana
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:08 AM
this is what I'm waiting for...
u guyz start talking and keep ur eyes on Miss Pierce!
after she's cruised silently here for a while...;)

The Mary Code w'd come true?
..AO95 FO00 WIM05..!

tennisrox
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Fantastic stuff Mary!!!Amazing performance.Just keep going....

Declan
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Mary is 7-2 against teenagers this year. But darling, that does not include Golovin or Sharapova.

And I guess you can figure out what teenager Mary's two losses were too.......

The Golovin win was in Paris in February 2004 (6-4 6-0) and Sharapova win at last year's US Open. It's just the time scale that was incorrect -over the last 18 months would have been more accurate.

Jenny.C.Fan
Jun 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Dissapointing from ana but very good from mary again, she has a good chance to get to the quarters now :)

saby
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM
The Mary Code w'd come true?
..AO95 FO00 WIM05..!

I hope you are true but Mary's fans code is more like :
"One match at the time, with Mary we never know"