PDA

View Full Version : Explain what is offensive about this statement....

Yonexforever
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:47 PM
For you Aussies and Brits.. Why did a TV station feel compelled to apologize for an open microphone in front of Pat Cash who didnt know he was on.. when the camera swung to Bec Cartwright(Hewitt's) fiance, Cash was heard to say "I bet she's on the duff"?
What does that mean ?????

No Name Face
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:47 PM
...that she's pregnant.

It's pretty gossipy and not fit to comment on, really.

Yonexforever
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:50 PM
The pregnacy has been announced via press release.. so I don't get it.
Gossipy it may be, but, maybe the connotation is tasteless perhaps.... beats me... hmmmmm

Lemonskin.
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:43 AM
I'm an Aussie and I always thought "Up the duff" meant "Up the arse" so my immediate conclusion from reading Cash's comments was that he was suggesting she likes a certain form of sex... (sorry mods I'm just trying to explain what I thought it meant)

LeRoy.
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Euphemism for pregnant

Odd
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Well if Cash said "On the Duff" and not "Up the Duff", then maybe someone off microphone said to Pat that she was Up the duff, and he replied to that by saying "I bet she's on the Duff", which could be a silly euphamism for she's drunk (ie, Duff beer, Simpsons). Who knows with Pat, he could just not know what the hell he is sayin.

Yonexforever
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:24 AM
hmmmm.. intersting, I think the quote I read was "on the duff", but I could be wrong!
Pretty funny though, till Lleyton hears it i guess!!

switz
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:28 AM
isn't it well known she's pregnant.

cash is an idiot in any event.

ceiling_fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:31 AM
i guess it seems kinda unnecessary to say it on air... well he could have said something like, she's pregnant at the moment.... but up the duff is a bit inappropriate don't you think?

~ The Leopard ~
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:09 AM
"Up the duff" is a coarse, insulting, disrespectul, expression for "pregnant", often with a connotation that the pregnancy is unwanted. It's not a euphemism, it's a dysphemism. "Gardening implement" is a euphemism for "spade"; "bloody shovel" is a dysphemism for it.

I've never heard of "on the duff".

~ The Leopard ~
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:11 AM
And why am I not surprised that this came from Pat Crass? He is a very difficult man to like.

Yonexforever
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:57 PM
"Up the duff" is a coarse, insulting, disrespectul, expression for "pregnant", often with a connotation that the pregnancy is unwanted. It's not a euphemism, it's a dysphemism. "Gardening implement" is a euphemism for "spade"; "bloody shovel" is a dysphemism for it.

I've never heard of "on the duff".

OOOO I learned something today!!!
Well done Leopard!!!!
:worship:

tennislover
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I'm an Aussie and I always thought "Up the duff" meant "Up the arse" so my immediate conclusion from reading Cash's comments was that he was suggesting she likes a certain form of sex... (sorry mods I'm just trying to explain what I thought it meant)

:lol: :tape:

tennislover
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:06 PM
fortunately I understand only BBC Standard English... :lol:

bis2806
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Stupid Aussie Pat Cash.