PDA

View Full Version : I have a feeling Sharapova will make the final

Volcana
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Same feeling I had last year, except last year I thought she'd win, since the quality of Serena's play during the tournament was uneven.

Can't say I think she'll win. I haven't seen Clijsters or Davenport yet. But Serena isn't going to win playing in the kind of pain she was in yesterday. Venus look VERY tentative. Put diffently, Sharapova would have to play far below form to NOT make the final.

Okay, if Venus suddenly rediscovers her form from 2001, she could beat her. But that's what it would take. And Venus isn't even trying to play like that. I just don't see a loss for Sharapova on that side of the draw. Petrova is very gifted athletically, but....

Ah well, I'll watch anyway.

tennislover
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:30 PM
let's hope

sartrista7
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Bottom half isn't so stacked as it first seemed. Who's there to stop Sharapova? I love Nadia, but she's a flake. Venus struggles against Nicole Pratt and has never won a set against Sharapova on tour anyway. Serena is injured, out of shape, and playing less than brilliantly.

Ana Ivanovic is probably the biggest threat to Sharapova in her half - she's on fire, comfortable, and seriously talented.

grandpuba
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:36 PM
i have a feeling she'll win the final again. somebody save me from this...

Lady
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Bottom half isn't so stacked as it first seemed. Who's there to stop Sharapova? I love Nadia, but she's a flake. Venus struggles against Nicole Pratt and has never won a set against Sharapova on tour anyway. Serena is injured, out of shape, and playing less than brilliantly.

Ana Ivanovic is probably the biggest threat to Sharapova in her half - she's on fire, comfortable, and seriously talented.

Yep, same thought here.

Only afraid that Ana will have her off-day some time. That'll be :scared:

SJW
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:40 PM
the beauty of sport is that anything can happen. she can win without losing another game. then again she could lose to Srebotnik tomorrow.

No Name Face
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:42 PM
yes. I agree. she's gonna have it relatively easy though...i don't think serena or venus will make the semis and she'll have to face a flaky petrova and (probably) exhausted danillidou

Anna F'd Enrique
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I think Ivanovic can do damage....

in the final she will have hell if she has to face Davenport of Clijsters.

tennisIlove09
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:45 PM
From what Ive seen, Sharapova will defend. She's playing by far the best tennsi out of everyone. However, every match is different. Who knows what'llhappen on any given day.

sartrista7
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I think Ivanovic can do damage....

in the final she will have hell if she has to face Davenport of Clijsters.

Clijsters should beat Sharapova in the final if she keeps it together mentally, which is not something to rely on.

Sharapova would probably beat Davenport, double bagel notwithstanding. Sharapova knows the reasons for that score, and certainly considers the beating she gave Davenport at Wimbledon last year more significant. In any case, Davenport would probably choke, tank or get 'injured', because that's what she does in the latter stages of Slams.

Mauresmo would be an intriguing opponent in the final - she is playing REALLY well, and she's got to overcome the nerves sometime. It could happen here. And if she does, I think she has a better grass court game than anyone else left.

sartrista7
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:53 PM
I'd laugh so much if the final was Mauresmo v Ivanovic pt948347272 :tape:

SJW
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:59 PM
btw, with Serena, yes she's hurt and not in the physical shape she could be in (her injuries may have something to do with this) but anyone who has watched her two matches will KNOW....her opponents didnt play like their rankings in the sets that they won. Haynes was on crack with some of the shots she was making. Santangelo was very tidy and was hitting the lines. just had to say that. i dont expect Serena to win with a fractured ankle so that is not what this post is about :)

matthieu_tennis
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:02 AM
and sharapova never beat mauresmo in 2 or 3 attempt :P

ezekiel
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Ivanovic isn't in the same quarter as Sharapova. If they meet it'll be in the semis. Don't worry. Sharapova doesn't have any advantage against Ivanovic. Ivanovic is as tall but is bigger and stronger than her so Sharapova will have to get a b plan which she hasn't shown yet.

sartrista7
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Yeah, you're right - Haynes was totally treeing ;) (I love her for it!) And Mara has game but not the ability to sustain it, cf AO 04 vs Justine. Serena shouldn't have the same trouble against Craybas. But she is still playing really quite badly by her standards.

matthieu_tennis
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:06 AM
ivanovic thats flat forehand must be very dangerous on grass omg :P

franny
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:09 AM
and sharapova never beat mauresmo in 2 or 3 attempt :P

They played once, at last year's tour championships where they had nothing at stake. They had both made it to the semis already. From what I heard, both were just playing around with their game and trying to do new things. The score was 7-5, 6-4 Mauresmo.

matthieu_tennis
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:15 AM
yes :P the first time was by W/0
the second was at yec 7-5 6-4

lucashg
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:15 AM
I think she'll reach the final, but won't win it, unless she meets Kuznetsova, Myskina or Dementieva. I think Davenport, Clijsters or Mauresmo can win in the final.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I'd love to see Mauresmo in the final against Sharapova. Amelie's junk balls REALLY irritate Maria. Clijsters also rattles Sharapova because she gets a lot of balls back, and turns them into offensive shots. I also feel that Davenport could beat Sharapova in the final as well, not just because of Indian Wells, but at Tokyo Davenport was injured and still took Sharapova to a 3rd set tiebreak. Davenport was also leading Maria a set AND a break last year before a rain delay. I really wish Serena wasn't injured, because she'd probably take out Sharapova again because even she herself said she knows how to play Sharapova now, and didn't know in '04.

Volcana
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:21 AM
In any case, Davenport would probably choke, tank or get 'injured', because that's what she does in the latter stages of Slams.That would, naturally, include the three she won, right?
I think she'll reach the final, but won't win it, unless she meets Kuznetsova, Myskina or Dementieva. I think Davenport, Clijsters or Mauresmo can win in the final.Mauresmo on a fast track in a GS final? The woman's talented, but I'm sure not puttin' down anything but Monopoly money on that horse.

V-MAC
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Same feeling I had last year, except last year I thought she'd win, since the quality of Serena's play during the tournament was uneven.

Can't say I think she'll win. I haven't seen Clijsters or Davenport yet. But Serena isn't going to win playing in the kind of pain she was in yesterday. Venus look VERY tentative. Put diffently, Sharapova would have to play far below form to NOT make the final.

Okay, if Venus suddenly rediscovers her form from 2001, she could beat her. But that's what it would take. And Venus isn't even trying to play like that. I just don't see a loss for Sharapova on that side of the draw. Petrova is very gifted athletically, but....

Ah well, I'll watch anyway.

true, Venus isn't playing like she did back in 2001 coz she has new tactics to try out now - mainly her net play. Interesting how people seem to forget this too that Vee's game is changing and that partly explains why she is making a lot of errors lately. It is only a matter of time though before everything sticks firmly together ;) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Now if she can take out Dani in straights tomorrow and play quite solidly, then we'll start discussing her chances at the title :)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:25 AM
;) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Now if she can take out Dani in straights tomorrow and play quite solidly, then we'll start discussing her chances at the title :)

Sounds like a plan to me ;)

franny
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:26 AM
I'd love to see Mauresmo in the final against Sharapova. Amelie's junk balls REALLY irritate Maria. Clijsters also rattles Sharapova because she gets a lot of balls back, and turns them into offensive shots. I also feel that Davenport could beat Sharapova in the final as well, not just because of Indian Wells, but at Tokyo Davenport was injured and still took Sharapova to a 3rd set tiebreak. Davenport was also leading Maria a set AND a break last year before a rain delay. I really wish Serena wasn't injured, because she'd probably take out Sharapova again because even she herself said she knows how to play Sharapova now, and didn't know in '04.

What is there to know? She beat Sharapova at Miami and almost beat her at the YEC. It's not like there is a big mystery to beating Sharapova. You just simply have to either outslug her or just keep running balls down and let her hit errors. You'd have to be pretty dang good at doing those things though, and Serena and Kim are both great at it. I don't think Davenport can beat Sharapova on grass. Indian Wells favors Davenport much more. Here, Sharapova's serve becomes just as effective as Davenport's and she moves better, which would be the difference. Who knows though, we will just have to wait and see.

blumaroo
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Ivanovic is the only one that can harm Sharapova. It will be an interesting rivalry between these two big babes for years to come. Ana's level of play usually does deteroriate with each match caused by whatever reason. IF she makes the semis then she really needs to bring out her A-game. As for the top half, I still have the belief in Lindsay. If she battles through Clijsters, I fail to see a Kuznetsova or a Mauresmo stopping her since Kuzzie is struggling and Mauresmo can easily get overpowered. I'm predicting a Lindsay-Masha final with Lindsay winning :)

Justine Fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:05 AM
the beauty of sport is that anything can happen. she can win without losing another game. then again she could lose to Srebotnik tomorrow.

Saw Ana play her match at Wimbledon on Thursday and she was AMAZING! That forehand is something to be admired - so strong. Her serve has improved and she played a brilliant game.

I really hope she can get through it - if anything, I would absolutely LOVE her to be Sharapova. Sharapova has such an easy draw that it's just not fair. The way Serena is at the moment, I will be very surprised if she can play the way she normally plays.

Let's hope for Ana to have a very, very good day and get through to beat Sharapova!

Justine Fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:08 AM
From what Ive seen, Sharapova will defend. She's playing by far the best tennsi out of everyone. However, every match is different. Who knows what'llhappen on any given day.

It's not that she's playing the best tennis out of everyone - she hasn't had anyone who's in the top 20 to play! She's had an easy ride! That's the difference. Let's wait and see when she plays someone who's very, very experienced! Her draw was so easy, that it wasn't really fair!

Andy.
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:09 AM
I hope so i would dearly love for her to defend her title.

franny
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:12 AM
I don't think you can say that her draw was so easy that it isn't fair. Mauresmo has just as easy if not an easier draw. Plus, Petrova is by no means a slouch. She hits the ball hard and has a big serve and can beat anyone on any day, much like she beat Justine last year at the Open. I think she's dangerous. Then she has to play Serena or Venus, two players that should not be overlooked. With that said, her draw really isn't that tough. Why wasn't there this much complaining before the tournament started? It seems like just because Justine lost everyone thinks that the bottom half is completely opened now, but its not. All I know is that the Williams sisters are always vulnerable in the early rounds, but once they get going, they get going. The bottom half is just as tough as before.

switz
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:19 AM
It's not that she's playing the best tennis out of everyone - she hasn't had anyone who's in the top 20 to play! She's had an easy ride! That's the difference. Let's wait and see when she plays someone who's very, very experienced! Her draw was so easy, that it wasn't really fair!

it's impossible for her or any top 8 seed to play to play someone ranked above 20 before the 4th round :confused: i don't like her but that just a fact.

Justine Fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I don't think you can say that her draw was so easy that it isn't fair. Mauresmo has just as easy if not an easier draw. Plus, Petrova is by no means a slouch. She hits the ball hard and has a big serve and can beat anyone on any day, much like she beat Justine last year at the Open. I think she's dangerous. Then she has to play Serena or Venus, two players that should not be overlooked. With that said, her draw really isn't that tough. Why wasn't there this much complaining before the tournament started? It seems like just because Justine lost everyone thinks that the bottom half is completely opened now, but its not. All I know is that the Williams sisters are always vulnerable in the early rounds, but once they get going, they get going. The bottom half is just as tough as before.

Firstly, what has this got to do with Justine? I thought we were talking about Maria?

Secondly, you state that Petrova beat Justine in USO, but if you remember, Justine was ill with a virus and after that match she had 7 months off. That was the only reason she lost. If you also remember, Justine beat her only a few months ago. I still do not see the relevance to this post about Maria.

Please explain

Dawn Marie
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:26 AM
The draw was stacked for Sharky since day one.

Henin and team Williams were do to knock each other off. Anyway Maria only has to win two matches to win Wimbeldon.

Yet I had a feeling since day one that Venus Williams could make the final.. just a feeling. I wouldn't be surprised though if Venus lost because of my typing this. I don't want to jinx it. Venus pops in my head as the trophy winner and Kim did to.

I hope my vision comes true. Maria didn't do anything wrong but I hope she loses the because of the establishment. Stacked draw for Maria and yet so true that it had past champs though.:)

Justine Fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:27 AM
it's impossible for her or any top 8 seed to play to play someone ranked above 20 before the 4th round :confused: i don't like her but that just a fact.

OK, what I meant was someone who was dangerous - i.e. Jankovic etc. Do you understand what I mean now?

WIMBLY2004
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:23 AM
For people who said Maria played the easiest opponents, look at the facts here :rolleyes:

First 3 rounds opponents of the top 4 seeds

Davenport: Alina Jidkova (80), Jamea Jackson (107), Dinara Safina (32), average 73

Maria: Nuria Llagostera Vives (36), Sesil Karatancheva (52), Katarina Srebotnik (57), average 48

Mauresmo: Maria Sanchez Lorenzo (113), Shenay Perry (159), Melinda Czink (133), average 135

Serena Williams: Angela Haynes (104), Mara Santangelo (124), Jill Craybas (85), average 104

franny
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Firstly, what has this got to do with Justine? I thought we were talking about Maria?

Secondly, you state that Petrova beat Justine in USO, but if you remember, Justine was ill with a virus and after that match she had 7 months off. That was the only reason she lost. If you also remember, Justine beat her only a few months ago. I still do not see the relevance to this post about Maria.

Please explain

Omg honey, how did I badmouth Justine? I love Justine to death, she's like my favorite player out there. Seriously, I was just trying to make a point. I just said that it seems like once Justine lost everyone thinks that the draw is easy. How is that bad-mouthing Justine? Seriously, that just pisses me off when people not only misread my posts but accuse me of badmouthing anyone because I've always tried my best to be subjective without insulting any player.

How was my post relevant to the topic? Well, in several posts above me, someone was saying that Maria has too easy a draw. I'm just saying that before the tournament began, everyone was saying how tough the bottom half is. So..therefore, if you put two and two together, you would see that I'm implying that Justine's lost has caused people to believe that the bottom half is not really that strong anymore, whcih I am rebuting with the fact that there are still many great players left. Honey, next time before you go and bad-rep me for "bad-mouthing" anyone, please make sure you have read my post clearly. Seriously, make more of an effort next time. Just because I refer to one of her losses does not mean I'm badmouthing her, let alone for the fact that she's one of my favorite players. Why would I insult her? Also, let me conclude this post by explaining, in case you still don't understand, why I brought up her U.S Open lost. It's because I want to show that Nadia Petrova, Maria's quarterfinal opponent, is capable of beating anyone on any given day. Yes, Justine was recovering from a virus and was not at her best, but that's not what we're talking about here. That still does not take away from Nadia's win now does it? Nadia is still capable of beating Maria right? Sheesh.

Leo_DFP
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:29 AM

I completely agree. I think Ivanovic has the best chance of anyone in the bottom half to really challenge Sharapova, although I'm not sure if she'd be ready to win just yet.

I'd be really surprised if Sharapova didn't make the final again. And I think she'll be playing Davenport or Clijsters.

ceiling_fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:33 AM
yeah me too.... but i hope serena (possibly) or venus (possibly/unliekly) or dani (unlikely):tape:...ana ivanovic (pretty good possibility), danilidou (not sure... ) , Petrova & Dechy (don't think so) can stop her.... she is basically guaranteed a semi-final spot....

ceiling_fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:34 AM
For people who said Maria played the easiest opponents, look at the facts here :rolleyes:

Davenport: Alina Jidkova (80), Jamea Jackson (107), Dinara Safina (32), average 73

Maria: Nuria Llagostera Vives (36), Sesil Karatancheva (52), Katarina Srebotnik (57), average 48

Mauresmo: Maria Sanchez Lorenzo (113), Shenay Perry (159), Melinda Czink (133), average 135

Serena Williams: Angela Haynes (104), Mara Santangelo (124), Jill Craybas (85), average 104

that's a good point.... but you also have to consider that some players are playing beyond their ability...e.g grass court ability... etc

sartrista7
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:11 AM
That would, naturally, include the three she won, right?

She hasn't done that for half a decade. These days, she consistently chokes/tanks etc.

Chunchun
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:16 AM
:help: then.

Sam L
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I haven't seen Clijsters or Davenport yet.

Why do you play these games?

jacobruiz
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Well Dawn, Volcana, Justine something, and all the others shooting off their mouths about Maria's "cakewalk draw" - got anything thing to say when the facts are presented to you?:rolleyes:

Elldee
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Yeaaaah, but then Lindsay has CLIJSTERS former world number one who's only ranked lowly because of injury, and Serena has VENUS former world number one who beat her in Miami... not the same threat as Clijsters but I'm sure they'd both rather have Dechy who they've never lost too.

Lynx
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:14 AM

You can't work with average rankings, lol.
You could work with highest ranking (and still have it wrong, since ability and real worth all play a role too) - but not with averages, that's ridiculous.

Otherwise having to face numbers 74 and 76 (average 75) would be twice as tough as having to face numbers 1 and 299 (average 150) :cuckoo:

Rub
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:18 AM
given serena's mediocre performance... sharpy has a very good chance to reach the final... i mean... who could possibly stop her!? :yeah:

_LuCaS_
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:48 AM
given serena's mediocre performance... sharpy has a very good chance to reach the final... i mean... who could possibly stop her!? :yeah:
We'll find out won't we? :devil:

WIMBLY2004
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:48 AM
You could work with highest ranking (and still have it wrong, since ability and real worth all play a role too) - but not with averages, that's ridiculous.

Otherwise having to face numbers 74 and 76 (average 75) would be twice as tough as having to face numbers 1 and 299 (average 150) :cuckoo:

Yeah right, let's look at the highest ranking, among these 12 opponents, Maria played/will play the 2nd, 3rd and 4th highest players here, don't try to look smart when you are not :retard:

Lynx
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Yeah right, let's look at the highest ranking, among these 12 opponents, Maria played/will play the 2nd, 3rd and 4th highest players here, don't try to look smart when you are not :retard:Yes, dearest wimbly2004, I'm not disputing that. I more or less pointed you to it, in fact.

Nevertheless it was not very smart to work with averages here, as I suspect you understood from my example - otherwise you wouldn't have reacted with so much aggression.

It would have been wiser to react with some embarrassement and a smile though - that would have bought you a lot of credit. Aggression doesn't buy you anything.

Ah well, you'll learn :kiss:. I hope :unsure:.

Lady
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Exactly! ;)

cheesestix
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Yes, that's possible. But yours is a stupid example, because all of the data is in front of you. So, it's apparent that the average isn't calculated from some large range of numbers. Nor is there anyone lower than 32 or higher than 159 in the mix.

Oddly enough, each player's opponents is in a relatively small range (with the exception of Davenport):

Davenport: 32 - 107
Maria: 36 - 57
Mauresmo: 113 - 159
Serena Williams: 85 - 124

There's nothing so extreme as your example of 1 - 299.

More importantly, you're losing sight of the whole point of that post in the first place, IMO.

I never heard anyone say that Maria's schedule was more tough than any of the other women listed here. Did they?

I never heard anyone try to rank them in any order according to those averages. Did they?

Nor did I see anyone try to quantify her schedule is "twice as tough" as anyone else's. Did they? (You are the only one that did that with your example.)

The whole point (IMO) was to say that Maria's schedule/draw hasn't been any easier than any of the other top women's schedules.....that's all.

And for THAT, the averages have some validity.

Quit trying to read into that post what's not there.

WIMBLY2004
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Yes, dearest wimbly2004, I'm not disputing that. I more or less pointed you to it, in fact.

Nevertheless it was not very smart to work with averages here, as I suspect you understood from my example - otherwise you wouldn't have reacted with so much aggression.

It would have been wiser to react with some embarrassement and a smile though - that would have bought you a lot of credit. Aggression doesn't buy you anything.

Ah well, you'll learn :kiss:. I hope :unsure:.

I understand your example is stupid and totally irrelevant here.

WIMBLY2004
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Yes, that's possible. But yours is a stupid example, because all of the data is in front of you. So, it's apparent that the average isn't calculated from some large range of numbers. Nor is there anyone lower than 32 or higher than 159 in the mix.

Oddly enough, each player's opponents is in a relatively small range (with the exception of Davenport):

Davenport: 32 - 107
Maria: 36 - 57
Mauresmo: 113 - 159
Serena Williams: 85 - 124

There's nothing so extreme as your example of 1 - 299.

More importantly, you're losing sight of the whole point of that post in the first place, IMO.

I never heard anyone say that Maria's schedule was more tough than any of the other women listed here. Did they?

I never heard anyone try to rank them in any order according to those averages. Did they?

Nor did I see anyone try to quantify her schedule is "twice as tough" as anyone else's. Did they? (You are the only one that did that with your example.)

The whole point (IMO) was to say that Maria's schedule/draw hasn't been any easier than any of the other top women's schedules.....that's all.

And for THAT, the averages have some validity.

Quit trying to read into that post what's not there.

Exactly ;)

Greenout
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM
The draw was stacked for Sharky since day one.

Henin and team Williams were do to knock each other off. Anyway Maria only has to win two matches to win Wimbeldon.

Yet I had a feeling since day one that Venus Williams could make the final.. just a feeling. I wouldn't be surprised though if Venus lost because of my typing this. I don't want to jinx it. Venus pops in my head as the trophy winner and Kim did to.

I hope my vision comes true. Maria didn't do anything wrong but I hope she loses the because of the establishment. Stacked draw for Maria and yet so true that it had past champs though.:)

True, but it's too bad Justine wasn't around because
she added tension to the draw. Even if Maria beat these
same players in rd 1, rd 2, rd 3 and 4th round
there was still the potential drama to come, and it would've
given her pressure.

Serena hasn't said much because, well
we know how uninterested she is in Maria anyway. :lol:

When Justine was around Serena was interested in getting
her digs in too. Now there's really nothing, but fawning
press conferences for Maria. Nobody is questioning her loses
or asking her how will she try to protect her Wimbledon title.

Dawn Marie
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:46 PM
You dumbasses don't know tennis. It is not all about the rankings it is about how well the player is playing at that time and the surface. The draw is stacked for Sharapova and you can't deny it. LOL.:)

This is a STACKED draw. Maria only has to win two solid matches to win Wimbeldon. I've never seen a past champ have such an easy draw on grass as Maria this year.

Her quarter is cakewalk and the first four rounds were Cakewalks. Comparing Lindsay to Maria's draw is ludicrus.

udachi Elena
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Why is maria all the sudden hated so much?

azmad_88
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:49 PM
who said top draw was easier?

Dawn Marie
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Who in here hates Maria? I dislike the establishment but I LOVE tennis. Nothing like ball hitting tennis raquet.:):)

rightous
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Personally I would rather play Dechy and Petrova to get to a Semi than Clijsters and Kuzzie

10nisfanofruz
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:12 PM
who said top draw was easier?

It was if Justine hadn't lost in 1st round. Anyway, after 4th round match between Kim and Lindsay<whoever wins> will easily get through to the semi.
Amelie may get into trouble in QF :tape:

udachi Elena
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:15 PM
The only reason you can say the top half was easier is b/c you had 3 amazing people in the same quarter which was on the bottom half..

franny
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:46 PM
You dumbasses don't know tennis. It is not all about the rankings it is about how well the player is playing at that time and the surface. The draw is stacked for Sharapova and you can't deny it. LOL.:)

This is a STACKED draw. Maria only has to win two solid matches to win Wimbeldon. I've never seen a past champ have such an easy draw on grass as Maria this year.

Her quarter is cakewalk and the first four rounds were Cakewalks. Comparing Lindsay to Maria's draw is ludicrus.

Are you implying that the draw was rigged for Maria? Because honestly I doubt that is the case, for the draw was done live and publicly. How can you hate the establishment for stacking the draw up for Maria if they didn't even do it on purpose? It's like hating the sky for being blue or the clouds for being white.

I just don't understand why there is so much negativity around Maria's draw here. Quite frankly, she'd had to play quality opponents here. She's just played better and her opponents may not have quite risen to the occassion as well. Serena has played just as easy of opponents so far, only that she's struggled with her footwork and movement. It used to be where drawing Serena in your half of the draw meant horrible draw, and I believe it still means that. Serena will work her way into the tournament(I hope Vee wins though) and her match with Sharapova will be a thrilling one. Maria has to play three tough matches to win this thing: Petrova who is coming off a semifinal at Roland Garros and who is great on grass, Serena/Venus who have four Championships between them, and whoever comes from the other side of the draw. That's not suck a cakewalk draw. It's not as tough as Davenport's no, but what can you do. The draw wasn't made to make sure Maria is in the finals. You can't hate the establishment FOR that. You can hate them for other reasons though, but don't let your hatred for them blind you into thinking that the draw was stacked for Maria purposely. If that's not what you meant in the quoted post and your last previous post, then I am sorry, I must have misread you. However, it just seems to me that you are complaining about Maria's draw because the big bad establishment gave her the easiest one and gave everyone else a really tough draw.

udachi Elena
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:00 PM
After seeing the upsets we have seen, how can you say anyone has an easy draw? Any given day one of those players could take Maria out... Justine is gone.. Serena has dropped sets to two not even top 100 players.. NO draw is an easy draw.. you still have to win 7 matches to get the championship

Rocketta
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:45 PM

The highest rated person's best results are on clay.....a kid who had a rating jump because of a good result on Clay, and if you look at the last two years on Srebotnik most of her best results.......that's right you guessed it....clay.

This is why her draw is easier.

ace4lleykim
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Now that Justine is gone, yea she might have a chance for the final. No one can really challenge her, but we'll see. She has a great chance.