PDA

View Full Version : Does Srebotnik Have A Chance Against Sharapova?

Freewoman33
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I don't think I've ever seen her play before. How's her game and has she caused any upset against a top player in recent months that I might be unaware of? Also, is her game suited for grass?

thelittlestelf
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Well... I don't think she can win... but Srebotnik's best surface is grass from what I remember and she should have a little confidence after getting a few wins under her belt. It could be rather interesting if she brings her A game.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I thought her best surface is clay?

korben
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Sure she has a chance.......... of getting more than three games :rolleyes:

Former (junior) champion against current champion.. maybe four games then :bounce:

Nicjac
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I am with u - I don't have a clue. Let's wait and see. Thanks to thelittlestelf for the input ... before that I wouldn't have put an effort into watching the game. If they'll broadcast it.

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Katarina's best surface is clay, but she CAN play well on grass. She isn't an opponent to be overlooked at all. I think Maria will win 6-2 6-3 tomorrow!

Grand Phantasm
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM
:lol: I want Srebotnik to do well against Sharapova I know she will never beat her though :lol: She always runs into the top players Davenport at the French and now Sharapova at Wimbledon my faves all seem to get horrible draws though :lol:

Now she is gonna lose to :lol: Well maybe she will get 5 games :lol: Maybe 6 if she serves well!!

SJW
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:01 PM
when i think of her i think of that amazing one handed back handed pass Venus played against her at Wimby 03 :hearts:

since i said Daniilidou had no chance against Henin i think i better say lets wait and see :)

alibaby
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:03 PM
i dont know her,but every match is different,and to my opinion,it will be even better for tennis if karina wins tomorrow!the more open,the better!!good luck,girl!! :)

korben
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:07 PM
1998 Wimbledon girls FINAL

K. Srebotnik - K. Clijsters 7/6(3) 6/3 :yeah:

1998 Wimbledon Boys winner.... someone called Federer.... :shrug:

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:07 PM
She won the juniors Wimby championships over Clijsters back in the day... but she hasn't done much as a pro.

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:08 PM
1998 Wimbledon girls FINAL

K. Srebotnik - K. Clijsters 7/6(3) 6/3 :yeah:

1998 Wimbledon Boys winner.... someone called Federer.... :shrug:
you beat me to it... looks like we posted at the same time...lol.

Grand Phantasm
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Sharapova beat Srebotnik in 2003 6-3 6-1 on a hard court

tyk101
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:20 PM
srebotnick has no chance~
if she brings her best game and Sharapova forgets to grunt.. then maybe she has a chance.

Grachka
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Kata has a chance of unsettling Sharapova, but she needs to mix it up a bit. She won't be able to out-hit Maria from the baseline like she may be able to do to the likes of Cho. She should hit slices, moonballs, dropshots, get to the net and get Maria in at the net as much as possible. If Maria is unsettled, the errors may start and then we would have a game on our hands :)

In a straight fight, Kata has little chance :(

Good luck Kata, do yourself proud!

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Srebotnik has a chance and even though she did win the girl's championship at Wimbledon her best surface is clay. She hits with some top spin and her volleys are good. Clay gives Srebotnik that extra time she needs to mix things up. Grass doesn't. She'll have to move great and use her doubles experience on the singles court to get Sharapova thinking. Srebotnik can have slow starts and that's definately something she can't afford against Sharapova.

lindsayno1
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:35 PM
she took a set off davenport at the french...

Maria Croft
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:41 PM
she took a set off davenport at the french...

Davenport was playing like crap on her worst surface and still won ;)

Srebotnik, might have a change, she must bring her best game and hope for Maria to make UE, but Maria already beat her 6-3 6-1 in 2003, so it doesn't look like she has a change, but it's tennis, you never know :D

Daniela¤Forever
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Um.. No.

udachi Elena
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Lindsay beat her in 3 first round @ ro...so no she does not have a chance.. masha will SMOKE her

volta
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:52 PM
no. Maria will send her home in 1 sec

korben
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:54 PM
but Maria already beat her 6-3 6-1 in 2003, so it doesn't look like she has a change,

Ok, you did have additional comment, never know.

So what that she beat her 3 & 1 ? Anyone could dig results that A beat B 1 & 3 and has lost to her like 4 & 2 year later. Or vice-versa. End result seems obvious but I looooove surprises so go Kata go :D :bounce:

And 1-2% chance is still a chance.

Completely off topic - you are given 98-99 % chance that surgery doesn´t do any harm. But 1-2 % chance that you die of compications. Slim chance, but enough to make you think a bit, no ?

HTE
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Honestly no I don't think so. But then again I really hope so ;).
Katarina has been a major talent ever since she won the girls' singles. She has done really well in doubles and pretthy good in singles. If both players are at their best Masha will win, but Katarina is clever and if she spots a weakness or two, it might be a much tighter match than we expect.

Kart
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Yes.

Aerien
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Well Katarina won her debut tournament as a pro including reaching both the French Open and Wimbledon mixed doubles finals (winning FO) plus that juniors crown. Her best results have come on clay but I wouldn't put it past her to challenge Maria.
Can't force myself to make a scoreline prediction though.

Albireo
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:31 AM
A player always has a chance. Not necessarily much of one, but a chance nonetheless. Who knows-- Sharapova might have an off-day, develop a sudden allergy to gold flake, get hit by a falling Motorola satellite... as Richard Feynman once said: "The list of possibilties is written upside down... in Pig Latin... on an Etch-a-Sketch!"

Or something like that.

Lemonskin.
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Maybe... not a lot methinks.

Volcana
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Sharapova could always sprain her larynx.

Martian KC
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:48 AM
I'm sure she'll suffer a letdown sooner or later. Why not sooner.

Rub
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:14 AM
sharpy is already in the quarters... srebotnik definitely has no chance as long as the grasses in wimbly are green... :wavey:

a cakewalk draw for sharpy until the semis...

Aerien
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Sharapova could always sprain her larynx.

Or her ankle because of a ball laying unattended because a ballkid forgot to pick it up a.k.a. Whatever Happened to Tommy Haas. :tape:

tterb
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Not a huge chance, but it wouldn't be intelligent to underestimate Srebotnik. She's very talented, as shown by her junior Wimbledon title. I'd give her a much better shot on clay, which is her best and Sharapova's worst surface. That said, she's quick and has an effective first serve... She won't be able to outhit Maria, so she'll have to use her volleying skills at net and force Maria into some errors by varying her shots (I think she has a nice backhand slice, if I remember correctly). That's all much easier said than done, of course.

@m@nd@
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:59 AM
i dont think so..but who knows, tennis is an unpredictable sport

lucashg
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Chance to win a couple of games, don't see much more than that, sorry. I'd be pleased if she put up a good fight. Maria has such an easy draw it's kinda :retard:

tterb
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:00 AM
when i think of her i think of that amazing one handed back handed pass Venus played against her at Wimby 03

since i said Daniilidou had no chance against Henin i think i better say lets wait and see

I remember that, too! Venus' face after the shot was priceless... A mixture of wide-eyed disbelief and some swagger as well.

I think this match is a little less risky to predict than Daniilidou-Henin Hardenne was, since Sharapova has full health and a proven grass court prowess, while Srebotnik really doesn't have the firepower to hit with Maria. I'm surprised you didn't give Eleni a chance at winning given that she was a former top 15 player who's always been dangerous on grass :eek:

franny
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:15 AM
I don't really know this girl or her strengths. HOwever, in tennis today, no one should be overlooked. I just hope Maria is ready.