PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams vrs Martina Hingis

V-MAC
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM
sigh, I miss the rivalry so much between these two on court :sad: :sad: Nothing used to give me greater satisfaction than when Vee used to win a thrilling three-set match over Marti, like at the US Open 2000 :hearts: :worship: :worship: I never liked Martina but I used to love the fact that she always played her best tennis against Vee, which made the victory for Vee all the sweeter. I think Venus also possibly loved playing against Martina more so than any other player as she had a differant , more intense kind of hunger and passion about her when she used to play against Martina. I'm feeling nostalgic for the great tennis rivalries of the past at the moment so I thought I'd just mention the best one :) Other ones I used to relish were Serena against again, Martina Hingis - always classic encounters full of drama and high quality tennis. hmm, please consider a proper comeback to the wta tour Martina!! :p

Famu_lady
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I hear you!!!!

volta
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:11 PM
yeah USOPEN 2k is one of my fav match

Marie Waggedorn
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:13 PM
sigh, I miss the rivalry so much between these two on court :sad: :sad: Nothing used to give me greater satisfaction than when Vee used to win a thrilling three-set match over Marti, like at the US Open 2000 :hearts: :worship: :worship: I never liked Martina but I used to love the fact that she always played her best tennis against Vee, which made the victory for Vee all the sweeter. I think Venus also possibly loved playing against Martina more so than any other player as she had a differant , more intense kind of hunger and passion about her when she used to play against Martina. I'm feeling nostalgic for the great tennis rivalries of the past at the moment so I thought I'd just mention the best one :) Other ones I used to relish were Serena against again, Martina Hingis - always classic encounters full of drama and high quality tennis. hmm, please consider a proper comeback to the wta tour Martina!! :p

People always feel nostalgic when things arenít going well in the present day.

VRee_Willario
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Venus liked to play Lindsay more, her power game suited Venus' game more and Venus didn't get all those slow balls back until she would miss. But I do like her matches against Martina a lot, but I prefer Wimbledon 2000 match 'cause I like grass court game and Wimbledon's atmosphere more.

VRee_Willario
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
People always feel nostalgic when things arenít going well in the present day.
Not always, I felt nostalgic in 2002 of her 1998 matches against Martina

franny
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Martina and the Williams had a great rivalry. Her rivalry with Serena was amazing, but it was her rivalry with Venus that really was what made tennis so interesting in the 1998-2002 years. I really think that they drove each and made each other play their best tennis. I really don't see anyone that we can say Venus has a rivalry with right now, unless you consider her and her sister's match-up as a rivalry. Venus lacks the passion and hunger that she once possessed, especially in those matches with Hingis.

thelittlestelf
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Come back Martina! :bigcry:

hingis-seles
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Oh to relive those days. The US Open semifinals of 1999 and 2000. Two nail-biters. One win for Hingis. One win for Williams. Great tennis all around. Everyone's happy. :)

V-MAC
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Martina and the Williams had a great rivalry. Her rivalry with Serena was amazing, but it was her rivalry with Venus that really was what made tennis so interesting in the 1998-2002 years. I really think that they drove each and made each other play their best tennis. I really don't see anyone that we can say Venus has a rivalry with right now, unless you consider her and her sister's match-up as a rivalry. Venus lacks the passion and hunger that she once possessed, especially in those matches with Hingis.

Yep they both certainly brought out the best tennis in each other. was the Aus Open semi-final 2001 their last ever match?? ( I don't like refering to that match too often :o )

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:16 AM

I loved watching Martina and Venus play. Serena and Martina wasn't as fun, because Martina had more trouble with Serena, and only would beat her if she was spraying errors. However, the 2001 Aussie Open QF was a pretty good one.

lukehingis
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Yep they both certainly brought out the best tennis in each other. was the Aus Open semi-final 2001 their last ever match?? ( I don't like refering to that match too often :o )

they played twice more after that. Close but not classics

Miami 01 venus won 6-3 7-6 (6)
Hamburgh 02 venus won 7-5 6-3

The Hamburgh match was the last time the martina of old was playing... after that she wasn't the same player.

I just love their matches. In the end, the best player always won. Both always produced the most spectacular shots! (Single handed backhand winner from Hingis anyone?)

kiwifan
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Yep, coulda been the next truly great rivalry for the ages...:cool:

I blame Serena, she beat Hingis out of the game and beat Venus into not caring about her results anymore :devil:

lukehingis
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Yep, coulda been the next truly great rivalry for the ages...:cool:

I blame Serena, she beat Hingis out of the game and beat Venus into not caring about her results anymore :devil:

:lol: at blaming Serena, but you do have a point!

Martina vs Venus could've been the biggest rivalry since Navratilova and Evert! There are some similarities.

The aggressor against the counterpuncher. Also like Evert, Hingis won most of their earlier meetings but venus was catching up only for Hingis to retire. (Hingis leads 10:9) Would be great if they'd met in some slam finals. Hingis was always seeded 1 and venus 3..

hingis-seles
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:55 AM
lukehingis, Martina was not the same player at Hamburg 2002. She was playing on painkillers and one leg. :sad:

Havok
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Hingis was always enjoyable to watch vs the big baes on tour.:worship:. Her many encounters with the likes of Serena, venus, Davenport, Capriati, Seles, Pierce etc were fun to watch for the most part. It was interesting to see the power players struggle with all the shots being sent back by Martina and her change ups in her shots, the angles, the drop shots, then all of a sudden Hingis would go on the attack and smack incredible winners. Makes you really miss Hingis and when the big babes really played clean, consistent tennis, moreso than they do now.