PDA

View Full Version : Ladies and Gentlemen, Play is suspended

E. Blackadder
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I can't believe have actually missed those words. You have to admit Wimbledon without a rain delay is no Wimbledon at all :p

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:26 PM
This makes things interesting for some players. Now the courts will play more like a grass court instead of a hard court. This will definately help players like Roberta Vinci, Lindsay Davenport, Ana Ivanovic, and Eleni Danillidou. It will hurt players like Clijsters, Pierce, Pennetta, and Safina.

foreva lindsay
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:43 PM
excellent....i hope theres a shock in the form of kim ;)

volta
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM
is it need a genius to make them see that they need a roof to the courts?! England is not a sunny country they should now it by now

raquel
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:48 PM
is it need a genius to make them see that they need a roof to the courts?! England is not a sunny country they should now it by now
The roof on Centre Court will be there in 2008 I think. The rain's stopped now for a while anyway and tomorrow/Monday/Tuesday look pretty dry so I don't think we'll have too much rain this year.

Shoulderpova
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:48 PM
:mad:

E. Blackadder
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Luckily it was a short one. We hava had it, now no more rain delays for the rest of the tournament :p

volta
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM
The roof on Centre Court will be there in 2008 I think. The rain's stopped now for a while anyway and tomorrow/Monday/Tuesday look pretty dry so I don't think we'll have too much rain this year.
2k8 is to far away we need one roof now :o

but yeah rain itīs not huge prob this year

cellophane
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Any news on ow long this rain dealy is expected to last? :fiery:

lindsayno1
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:50 PM
hopefully long enough so lindsays match is pushed back til tomorrow :D that means ill be there to watch it!!!

cellophane
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:51 PM
hopefully long enough so lindsays match is pushed back til tomorrow :D that means ill be there to watch it!!!

Nooooooooooooo. I have to study tomorrow. :fiery: ;) I've been waiting for this match since morning! :p

gopher
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Now the courts will play more like a grass court instead of a hard court.

I would not count on it. After today the courts must be baked. Furthermore it is going to be dry from tomorrow on.

bis2806
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM
This makes things interesting for some players. Now the courts will play more like a grass court instead of a hard court. This will definately help players like Roberta Vinci, Lindsay Davenport, Ana Ivanovic, and Eleni Danillidou. It will hurt players like Clijsters, Pierce, Pennetta, and Safina.

Lindsay hates rain delays :(

thelittlestelf
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Why are they showing the Safin-Lopez match? :zzz:

Babolatpro880
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:33 PM
What else would they show? A match that we're interested in watching? Fat chance.

cellophane
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I guess Lindsay-Dinara match will get moved to tomorrow. :( :sad: :fiery: If it's 6:45 now and it'll take them at least half an hour to get going unless the rain stopped now (hopefully). :( If it gets dark after 9, you know they won't play...

cellophane
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Is it still raining, btw? :(

manu
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I watched BBC live 10 minutes ago and the rain was pouring down. There was also some lightning and thunder and skys looked dark and closed... I think there's a good chance we won't see any more tennis today.

Do they let the covers on during the night BTW? Or do they take them off when it gets dark, even if there's a good chance it'll rain during the night and just put the covers back on in the morning?

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Of all the rules they could change, why has the one rule change been to eliminate the bow/curtsy?? Couldn't they at least move play up on hour on the main courts (or at least Court 1)?? It wouldn't help a ton, but it would help them get 1 more set in (or even a women's match) on days like this.

manu
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Play is officially suspended until tomorrow. So no more tennis today...

Freewoman33
Sunday play wouldn't be bad either.

lizchris
I watched BBC live 10 minutes ago and the rain was pouring down. There was also some lightning and thunder and skys looked dark and closed... I think there's a good chance we won't see any more tennis today.

Do they let the covers on during the night BTW? Or do they take them off when it gets dark, even if there's a good chance it'll rain during the night and just put the covers back on in the morning?

There won't be.

When I checked the scoreboard, it said play suspended on all courts. To me, that means play will resume tomorrow.

lizchris
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:21 PM

I doubt that will be the case unless they can't get in most of the singles play tomorrow because they have th option of starting earlier.

Freewoman33
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Wonder what tomorrow's schedule will look like. Poor Venus, she'll probably be relagated to the graveyard court again.

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:36 PM

Too bad they don't play on that Sunday!! Boy tomorrow is going to be star-studded!! Roger, Lindsay, Serena, Venus, Kim, Maria, Andy. I wonder who NBC and ESPN2 are going to show?

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Wonder what tomorrow's schedule will look like. Poor Venus, she'll probably be relagated to the graveyard court again.

I don't know about that even. Probably Court 18. This should be a Court 1 match!!

lindsayno1
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:40 PM
WOOO lindsay tomorrow!

lindsayno1
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Roll On Oop!

Babolatpro880
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Too bad they don't play on that Sunday!! Boy tomorrow is going to be star-studded!! Roger, Lindsay, Serena, Venus, Kim, Maria, Andy. I wonder who NBC and ESPN2 are going to show?
NBC and ESPN2 will both show Maria & Andy most likely.

tennislover
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
rain spoils schedule every year.....
(poor Martina was really damaged over the last years)

ezekiel
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:48 PM
They've got to play on sunday now some of the matches I would think

GoDominique
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Think again.

Freewoman33
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Andy has already won his match. He isn't scheduled to play tomorrow. They'll most likely show Federer.

V-MAC
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Damn it!!! :mad: There goes Vee's chances out the window of having a Centre Court slot tomorrow :( I bet her match won't be shown on tv now too as there are so many other top players playing tomorrow too.

lizchris
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Andy has already won his match. He isn't scheduled to play tomorrow. They'll most likely show Federer.

That is incorrect. He finished his second round match that was suspended from Thursday, so he will play his third round match tomorrow.

ys
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM

That could be the situation. It is not in tournament's habit to change court's assignments.
So Federer and Clijsters will likely to stay on CC, Davenport is likely to stay on C1.
Which means that they have a vacancy on CC - obviously, Murray-Nalbandyan match, two men's vacancies on C1 - Roddick match and perhaps, Gasquet. And C2 will probably have Venus and Sharapova. Serena might end up relegated as far as C3.

ys
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:06 PM
But those schedule problem is nothing comparing to what are they going to have on Monday.
Imagine, they'll have to put all of Federer-Ferrero, Roddick-Coria, Williams-Williams, Davenport-Clijsters, Sharapova-Dechy, Dementieva-Myskina, Hewitt-Dent, perhaps even Murray-Gasquet in one day schedule. And don't forget about minor matches like Mauresmo-Likhovtseva.

To thnik about that, one of Williams-Williams ( 2 out of 3 last Wimbledon champions ) and Clijsters-Davenport ( 2 out of 3 last #1s ) is not going to be on Central Court.. That's what tough schedule is.. Not tomorrow..

tennislover
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I strongly doubt it......

manu
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:10 PM
But those schedule problem is nothing comparing to what are they going to have on Monday.
Imagine, they'll have to put all of Federer-Ferrero, Roddick-Coria, Williams-Williams, Davenport-Clijsters, Sharapova-Dechy, Dementieva-Myskina, Hewitt-Dent, perhaps even Murray-Gasquet in one day schedule. And don't forget about minor matches like Mauresmo-Likhovtseva.

To thnik about that, one of Williams-Williams ( 2 out of 3 last Wimbledon champions ) and Clijsters-Davenport ( 2 out of 3 last #1s ) is not going to be on Central Court.. That's what tough schedule is.. Not tomorrow..

IF that happens, Williams-Williams should definitely be on Centre Court. Kim will have played twice there, Lindsay once. Venus and Serena wouldn't even have played on Court 1, so I think there'd really be no fair option but to put their match on Centre then (once again, IF these matches happen of course...)

ys
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I strongly doubt it......

It is a possibility. Tomorrow they have a possibbility of losing another half a day for rain. If they are not done with R3 by end of tomorrow, they'll have to play on Sunday.

Freewoman33
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:13 PM
That is incorrect. He finished his second round match that was suspended from Thursday, so he will play his third round match tomorrow.

Thanks for the correction. I forgot that Andy's match was suspended from Thursday.

ys
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:15 PM
IF that happens, Williams-Williams should definitely be on Centre Court. Kim will have played twice there, Lindsay once. Venus and Serena wouldn't even have played on Court 1, so I think there'd really be no fair option but to put their match on Centre then (once again, IF these matches happen of course...)

By R16 consideration of "fairness" are no longer relevant.. Kim and Lindsay looked like real contenders so far. Venus and Serena didn't. Organizers migth simply opt to go with what is supposed to be a better tennis.

manu
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:16 PM
It is a possibility. Tomorrow they have a possibbility of losing another half a day for rain. If they are not done with R3 by end of tomorrow, they'll have to play on Sunday.

Yeah I agree with you, I hope the rain will have washed away as soon as play starts tomorrow!

gsm
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:17 PM
the wimbledon organisers are wankers.

why on earth do they start play on CC at 1pm???

and no roof till 2008 , pathetic.

oh well , they will be the ones in a world of hurt on monday.

manu
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:20 PM
By R16 consideration of "fairness" are no longer relevant.. Kim and Lindsay looked like real contenders so far. Venus and Serena didn't. Organizers migth simply opt to go with what is supposed to be a better tennis.

Well, you could very well be right, but there's still one round to be played for all of them to 'prove' their form ;) Regardless of their form, I think Williams-Williams is a historic match-up anyway. Unless Serena's injury will trouble her again...
Personally I actually don't mind at all: either match would be great to see IMO.

lizchris
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the correction. I forgot that Andy's match was suspended from Thursday.

You're welcome.

manu
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Seems like Lindsay got unlucky... She's on Court 2. But Venus and Serena are on the Stadium Courts, so quite good scheduling IMO! :yeah:

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:25 PM
NEW ORDER OF PLAY UP!! SERENA ON CENTRE AND VENUS ON COURT 1. On the Wimbledon site!!

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Lindsay hates rain delays :(

She also would like the ball to skid a little more so when she plays Clijsters she has another advantage. She can take the rain delay. Lindsay hasn't has a day off at the CHampionships till now.