PDA

View Full Version : nerves of steal ;) Elena Dementieva vs Anastasia Myskina

SJW
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:16 PM
which one will come out on top? :angel:

im happy either way. good luck to them both

ys
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Nastya owns Lena recently. I don't fancy Lena's chances here.. In fact, I think Nastya might be going all the way now..

ginger_fish668
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Tough. I'd give the edge to Lena. She seems fresher.

Louis Cyphre
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Lena coz of her service !!!

No Name Face
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Elena definitely. You can't look past the fact that Nastya choked so much against a lesser opponent. Lena's gonna want this, just like she did when she beat Sveta twice after the U.S. Open.

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:23 PM
This is a rematch of last year's FO final, and Tier I Moscow final.

Stephieva
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Tough. I'd give the edge to Lena. She seems fresher.
They have a couple of days to rest.
I dun think today match will affect Ana in a bad way...
It will do all good.
She has match tough...find her form and confidence back.
I'm really scared now :crying2: :bigcry: :sobbing: :hysteric:

Helen Lawson
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I have to go with my lady Lena D!

I see a really sloppy first set that Lena D pulls out like at the last minute, like 7-5, 6-4, or 7-6. Myskina gets on fire in the second set and Elena gets nervous and it's over with quickly and it's a crap set. Myskina craters in the third and Elena double faults only 12 times but hits in a couple over 100 mph.

Shoulderpova
I want LenaD to win but i think Nastya will win :)

mboyle
Nastya owns Lena recently. I don't fancy Lena's chances here.. In fact, I think Nastya might be going all the way now..

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's hillarious!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stephieva
This is a rematch of last year's FO final, and Tier I Moscow final.Also YEC RR..
Which Lena lost all of them...:sad:

cellophane
I don't know who to root for... Nastya needs this win a bit more, I guess.

greenfunkTHREE.
but check out the head to heads. nastya has beaten her more times. http://www.wtatour.com/players/playerprofiles/PlayerHeadToHeadDetail.asp?PlayerID=130533&Player1ID=40289

Helen Lawson
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Ignore their head to head, it's like Conchita's head to head with Mary Pierce.

alexusjonesfan
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:26 PM
The thread title should be "The Unbreakable Serve"

GertAlert
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:28 PM
It's a bit of a guess, but I think Nastya will win this... (eventually) ;)

ys
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:28 PM
but I would think wider.. It is now truly a funny quarter. Mauresmo, Likhovtseva, Dementieva, Myskina. One of the four will be in semis. I think at this point all four are with equal chance. Mauresmo owns Myskina and Likhovtseva, but has lost to Dementieva in grand slams two times in a row. Likhovtseva just beat Dementieva in Grand Slam. Dementieva is owned by Myskina recently. Those stats do favour Amelie to go through. But she has to beat Likhovtseva first, who is 8-1 in her lsat two Grand Slams and knows that she is two winnable matches away from another Grand Slam semis..

greenfunkTHREE.
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:30 PM

not to be a wet blanket or what. but if nastya does beat lena. and amelie beats lena L. then 2 of them will meet in the semi finals. and the head to head, amelie leads 5-1 against nastya.

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:31 PM
i'll go with lena. she's fresher and played better today than myskina imo. she also has nothing to lose. myskina will feel pressure to beat a top player,imo.

No Name Face
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:32 PM
4r matches look good:

(hopefully) Davenport vs. Clijsters
Dementieva vs. Myskina
Mauresmo vs. Likhovtseva (I only think this is good because LenaL has been doing well this year and proving her RG SF wasn't necessarily a fluke)
(hopefully) Serena vs. Venus
(hopefully) Ivanovic vs. Danillidou

i don't mean to jinx but damn...that's high quality as opposed to RG. the grand slams are getting better.

ys
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:32 PM
not to be a wet blanket or what. but if nastya does beat lena. and amelie beats lena L. then 2 of them will meet in the semi finals. and the head to head, amelie leads 5-1 against nastya.

I would nto look at head to head. I'd rather look at an ability to perform in big matches, to keep one's cool and not choke. Which one do you think is likelier to choke, Nastya or Amelie? But let's not get ahead of ourselves. It may well end up being an all-Lena quarterfinal.

Dementinator
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:34 PM
WEl lit could go Either way ,Lena will play better than Jelena thats for sure ,ELenas got the power to blow Nastya of court and force errors but Nastya has the menta ledge at times and is tricky ,Niether has a good serve and I think Elena can break Nastya a lot and prob Vice Versa ,but Nastya will not get away with anything but her best ,Lena will fire the returns far harder than Janko and hit more winners ,I give a slight edge to Lena but it really is up in the air! Lenas beaten Schnyder and Kuz twice so she can do it ,lets just see!

sartrista7
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:34 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's hillarious!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilarious like saying "Nastya will go all the way now" would have been after the R16 matches at RG 04?

Nastya owns Lena recently. As much as Nastya's given her fans heart attacks, I don't think Lena's been in sparkling form either (8-6 over Klaschka :tape: ). For the first match in a while, I'm backing Nastya.

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:39 PM
yea but lena was pretty damn good against benesova and really good against washington, and that's her most recent match.

ys
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:40 PM
WEl lit could go Either way ,Lena will play better than Jelena thats for sure ,ELenas got the power to blow Nastya of court and force errors but Nastya has the menta ledge at times and is tricky ,Niether has a good serve and I think Elena can break Nastya a lot and prob Vice Versa ,but Nastya will not get away with anything but her best ,Lena will fire the returns far harder than Janko and hit more winners ,I give a slight edge to Lena but it really is up in the air! Lenas beaten Schnyder and Kuz twice so she can do it ,lets just see!

I think Nastya has an edge. She is more accomplished on the surface. Her game is more compact. Lena is particularly vulnerable on backhand side on this surface, her backhand needs more time and is not designed for lower bounce . Nastya's backhand is perfect for the surface.

sartrista7
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Yes, many people appear not to realise that Nastya's game is very well suited to grass. It enables her to be more aggressive, her flat strokes zip through so much faster - this is why she excels indoors, too. And she doesn't have to be as patient as she does on clay. She hasn't performed that well at Wimbledon in the past for a number of reasons - fatigue after over-playing in '02, generally horrid form everywhere in '03, RG hangover in '04 - but she did reach back-to-back Edgbaston/Eastbourne finals in '02.

miffedmax
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I can't bring myself to vote.

I wish this was a semi or final.

Just when I thought Lena D. was looking good.

katiektc
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I think it will be a good match! Probably 3 sets, but I think Nastya will win.

blumaroo
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM
They both have a very good draw. One part of me wants Nastya to win it because she is really due for a good run but Elena D is a fave of mine and I feel she has more chances against MoMo. I still give the edge to Nastya because of the mental advantage.

felipe2004
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:53 PM
4r matches look good:

(hopefully) Davenport vs. Clijsters
Dementieva vs. Myskina
Mauresmo vs. Likhovtseva (I only think this is good because LenaL has been doing well this year and proving her RG SF wasn't necessarily a fluke)
(hopefully) Serena vs. Venus
(hopefully) Ivanovic vs. Danillidou

i don't mean to jinx but damn...that's high quality as opposed to RG. the grand slams are getting better.
First of all, three there are only hopefully, but let's take a look at some 4r matches of RG:
Davenport vs. Clijsters
Pierce vs. Schnyder
Dementieva vs. Likhovtseva
Kuznetsova vs. Henin-Hardenne
Petrova vs. Bovina
Ivanovic vs. Schiavone
I say those were some very good ones too ;)

Vamos Feńa
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM
The answer is simple for me:
The one who won't be choking.
Lena D. choked to Lena L.
Nastya choked to Justine and almost to Jelena.

Beat
after my vote (for myskina) it's 50:50!

Albireo
"Nerves of Steel-- Serves of Cotton!"

ys
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:55 PM
The answer is simple for me:
The one who won't be choking.
Lena D. choked to Lena L.
Nastya choked to Justine and almost to Jelena.

Edge to Nastya. Choking to Lena L. is hardly an honour. And on this tour you have to be named Williams to be able to say that I am a top player who does not choke against Justine. And "almost" does not count in this binary sport.

thelittlestelf
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I want Nastya to win. She hit some great shots today, from what I saw. That was some match!

greenfunkTHREE.
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I would nto look at head to head. I'd rather look at an ability to perform in big matches, to keep one's cool and not choke. Which one do you think is likelier to choke, Nastya or Amelie? But let's not get ahead of ourselves. It may well end up being an all-Lena quarterfinal.

that's why i said if nastya beats lenaD..

cellophane
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I really hope they put this match on Centre court...

Red Lantern
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I'm going with Nastya.

Nastya had a tough match today - literally speaking - but also that if she won it would signal a 'turn-around' for her - the pressure felt playing Jelena would have been immense because of that.

She might have less pressue now;
- because she's actually got further this year than last (even with the rut she has recently gone through)
- she has already proved a lot of sceptics wrong, and in some ways has less to lose and can just 'go for it'
- she's playing Lena, who she is very familiar with. They have both been here before, and the confidence should have nicely risen for Nastya now.

That's my theory anyway. I also hope it's shown on a bigger show court.

udachi Elena
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:37 PM
of course going with lena...she beat washington pretty easily today, given her last matches...and lena won't give myskina the chance to go down 5-1 and come back

SelesFan70
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Dementieva will win. Myskina will be exhausted from her long match today and doubles and mixed doubles and the rain... :wavey:

hilde26
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM
LenaD beat Nastya on outdoor hard. Nastya beat Lena at clay and indoors. It's fast court. So I think Lena will win.

Pengwin
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Lena only made like 17 DF's in her last match :p

Go both, although I will be cheering for Myskina ;)

_LuCaS_
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Doesn't matter that much to me

Russia-Rulez
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Well....They never played on grass against eachother so the chances are all open for both players....Elena is getting used to grass and getting a better serve....Myskina also is playing better then she used to play this year...so I DON'T KNOW....but I hope Lena will win this one!

Alenyaa
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Lena only made like 17 DF's in her last match :p

Go both, although I will be cheering for Myskina ;)

strato
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Lena seems to have fun during this Wimbledon and is quite relax, so let's hope she wins at last vs Myskina !!

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I really hope they put this match on Centre court...

I really hope they DONT put this match on Centre court or for that matter Court One. I don't much fancy queueing all night and paying lots of dosh to see this match. I will if I have to however. Much better for me if its on courts 3,13 or 18. I love all three. :)

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Oh and for the record Nastya is playing great for those of you who don't know and when she is playing great she has way to much game for Elena. Nastya will get to AT LEAST the quarters and I'm hoping beyond :)

Pengwin
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:47 PM

Sorry I meant the one against the German girl.

Kart
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:56 PM
LOL at the thread title.

I think the result will come down to who has the strongest will to lose.

On what I've seen of their matches Anastasia looks in better form - not that that means anything !

itzhak
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM
There are 2 special elements in this paritculary match:
1. as far as i know, this is their first match on grass...
2. They playing without pressure- they are happy to get to the 4th round in wimbeldon.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Nastya will win. she's gained confidence and lena d's serve will most likely collapse against a russian

Derek.
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I like both so much. I dunno who to cheer for. :unsure:

Whoever wins I will be very happy because they will be in their 1st QF this year @ a GS! :D

I dunno who will win either. I think Myskina.

Alenyaa
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Sorry I meant the one against the German girl.
That's ok. :)

miffedmax
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I didn't like Lena's interview--already started on that "Oh, my arm's hurt, I'm glad i got this far" crap.

It's going to be a long Monday, I 'm afraid.

No Name Face
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I didn't like Lena's interview--already started on that "Oh, my arm's hurt, I'm glad i got this far" crap.

It's going to be a long Monday, I 'm afraid.

yes. i agree. she seems too complacent but she did express a desire to make the quarters. i'm scared though...i want her to break the 4r curse and who better to do it against than myskina?

matthieu_tennis
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:00 PM
im sure lenad will lose :P i dont know why but im sure. i saw some point against jankovic and she plays very well she was consistants but on bp :(:(:(:(

lukehingis
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:39 PM
I want ElenaD to win. She has been very consistent this year but hasn't made it deep in a big tournament like she did in 04. Although Nastya has the mental edge, I think 2 factors could drive LenaD to victory.

1. She doesn't want to keep losing to her childhood rival
2. She doesn't want to lose again in the R16 in a slam against a lower ranked player!

I think we can be quite certain (fingers crossed) that LenaD won't choke this time. Hopefully she's learnt her lesson from the previous R16's she played this year.

However, as a nastya fan too, I must admit, Nastya needs this win more. Ranking and confidence wise.

Rub
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:57 PM
either way... fine with me! :wavey:

jacky90104
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Nastya will win :D :D :D

switz
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM
i don't know who is going to win but i'm confident that it aint going to be pretty.

Davenselesport
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Well they both have tons of rest... being that there's no play on Sunday so I don't think that will be a factor...

I will go with Dementieva just because her serve MAY be better than Anastasia's now (from what I hear?)

Either player will be lucky to have made the quarters on their not-so-favorite surface.

Lemonskin.
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Hoping Elena, but...

Sun*Kissed
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Between Lena's serve and Nastya's erratic play, it's going to be quite a freak show. They know each others game pretty well, but i think nastya has the mental edge when they play each other. Despite their weaknesses, both have that fighting spirit (especially when they're down) that i admire so much. Either way a good result, but i'd love to see nastya take it and, if nothing else,start building some confidence for hc season.

kfh_9118
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Elena will win, hopefully :angel:

Chunchun
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Lena plzzz :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

lovlenad
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:27 AM
:awww: :awww: :awww:

fleur137
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:29 AM
I know who I'll be rooting for - NASTYA!! cos she needs it more

But as to who I think will win, its a totally different matter.
From what I hear, Lena D's serve has gotten better. And Nastya is so unpredictable at times - blowing a 5-1 lead against nakamura and then a 6-0 5-3 lead against jankovic. She makes it so hard for herself at times...but anyway, I'm glad that she's through.

IMO, its a waste of time to really base this on previous matches because:
1) at FO last year both were debutantes in a GS final and lena D was super nervous
2) the Nastya back at FO and Moscow last year ain't the same Nastya now in regard to her form. But I'm glad that she's coming back!
3) there's always an evil evil thing called REVENGE....

ceiling_fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:26 AM
nastya... actually im not sure... hopefully it will be a tough 3 setter though

Stephieva
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Mix of emotions:

first: :awww: :awww: :awww:

Ana again.http://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/angry/img/026.gifhttp://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/angry/img/016.gifhttp://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/angry/img/026.gifhttp://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/angry/img/016.gifhttp://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/angry/img/026.gif

Jelena J, http://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/angry/3/img/018.gifhttp://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/angry/3/img/018.gifhttp://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/angry/3/img/018.gifhttp://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/angry/4/img/015.gif

Then, :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

And, :help: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :help:

And, :explode: :speakles: :armed: :armed: :speakles: :speakles: :armed: :armed: :speakles: :explode:

And, :tears: :crying2: :sobbing: :bigcry: :hysteric:
Finally, http://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/sad/2/img/009.gif

I do believe in Lena, but not when against Anastasia.
I have a damn respect for Ana especially when she plays against LenaD.
She uses Lena's weekness so well.
Also, she definitely has mental edge over Lena.
Lena's fans who love to think positve might not like this...
but sorry I can't help it.

Drake1980
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Myskina is becoming one of my faves because of her play this week.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM
:bounce: Im hoping Dementieva!! :kiss: :hearts: :drool: :lick:

bigshow21
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Dementieva in 2!! Good luck!!! :banana:

Leo_DFP
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:45 AM

No way she's beating Mauresmo, I'm afraid. The Frenchwoman has handed Myskina's some bad losses recently (all straight sets for Amelie wins since Moscow '03, right?) just as Myskina has owned Dementieva. And I don't think Myskina would beat Davenport or Clijsters in the semis on this surface, either.

selyoink
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:53 AM
I think and hope Nastya will pick up the victory. It will be a huge win for either of them.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Elena Dementieva should win. I hope mentally she is prepared. :)

Goodluck Elena! :bounce: :kiss: :hearts:

Prizeidiot
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:54 AM
I'm hoping Elena wins. She should. But you can't discount the mental edge Anastasia has. All I can guarantee is, Elena will give me a heartattack. Whatever follows that, I don't know.

JLDementieva
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM
wow I'm surprised that more people think Nastya is going to win...
I say Elena will win in 3!

Dementinator
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:54 AM
well I would give the edge to Lena from what I have seen of the two 3rd round matches ,Mashona played better than Jankovic ,she served better and her errors were forced rather than simply playing badly and Jankovic ,believe me played badly ,she had that match and gave it away .

But there is no doubt NAstya has improved indeed and she always has the mental edge usually ,but this aint a final so it could be different ,its hard to say ,Nastya did play some nice shots but her second serve is worse than Elenas and it will be buried ,Lenas so much more powerful than either Nastya or Jankovic and will force more errors from NAstya I think ,NAstya will have to end the points quickly which at her best shes good at doing.

Whatever happens I am gald to see Nastya finally playing much better ,it bodes well for her and her fans and she could well beat Lena if Lena reverts to round 2 Lena ,but if Nastya hits round one or round three Lena then I will say Lena to win ,but the votes seem almost right to me but just reverse Lena 60% Nastya 40% its damn close!

Dementieva-fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I believe in Lena!!!!

Dementinator
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:59 AM
well Dementieva-fan Lenas existence to me confirms the exisitence of god! nothing else could have created such a sublime and beautiful creature! so we all believe in her ,shes just gotta believe in herself!!

Piotr'ek
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Nastya will win very easy
sth like 6-1 6-2 or even bagel :)

Andy.
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Im thinking Myskina is back.

DevilishAttitude
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Anastasia will probably win since she has got the mental belief while Elena has got a mental block.

It'll probably be a very ugly match but Nastya will win something like 7-5 6-2.

I think this match is much more important for Lena than Nastya. She doesn't have a better chance to get rid of her demons... yet you still think she won't be able to do it :rolleyes:

Clai
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Dang, I like them both...

I'd go with Lena though...

Drimal
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:45 AM
First of all: I like them both and I'm happy that one of my favourites will make the quarterfinal. :D

I'm cheering for Anastasia Myskina and it would be a really relief for Anastasia to make the quarters after avoiding a first round loss against a qualifier.^

The chances are 50:50 in my eyes. :p

Go Anastasia! :kiss: :smooch:

Lemonskin.
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM
:scared:

Mathijs
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:49 PM
They have a couple of days to rest.
I dun think today match will affect Ana in a bad way...
It will do all good.
She has match tough...find her form and confidence back.
I'm really scared now :crying2: :bigcry: :sobbing: :hysteric:

:awww: Steph :hug: :kiss:

Well i think Lena has a serious chance looking to Nastya's last match, it's always difficult to predict who'se gonna win but seriously i believe in a win for Lena this time ;)

Well yesterday's match could affect Nastya, i think it gives her alot of thoughts to think out before the match ag. Lena...

Strange Famous
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Myskina will win in straight sets :)

azmad_88
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM
all the best elena dementieva..
she needs a good wimbledon.

DEETHELICK
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Elena D is after revenge. I know it.

She knows she is capable of beating Nastya and her quickfire aggression caused her to lose matches against Nastya last year. If she can be a little more patient, her big first strikes should pay off.

Nastya is a tough cookie, but it depends on how much nerve Elena shows. Elena should have taken the first set at the Kremlin Cup. It was her nerves, rather than Nastya's outstanding play that lost her that first set and the FO final.

C'mon Elena, play to your TRUE ability. :)

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:14 PM
They've been in the same section in all 3 majors this year.
I predict there will be a lot of service breaks.

_LuCaS_
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:20 PM
And they finally meet :hehehe:

_LuCaS_
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:26 PM
http://img140.echo.cx/img140/553/na019fo.jpg

Jakub
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM
just hope it will be Elena :hearts:

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Sick mum inspires Myskina to victory
LONDON, June 25 (AFP) - Former French Open winner Anastasia Myskina says she is taking her battling Wimbledon inspiration from her cancer-hit mother.
The Russian 23-year-old has endured a disappointing 2005 becoming the first defending champion in history at Roland Garros to lose in the first round as she tried to cope with her mother Galina's illness.
On Friday, Myskina reached the last 16 at Wimbledon with a punishing 6-0, 5-7, 10-8 win over Serbia's Jelena Jankovic while, in the first round, she struggled to beat Czech qualifier Katerina Bohmova 5-7, 7-6 (7/4), 6-4.
"My mum called me after the match and said she almost died and that really wasn't good news," said Myskina who could have wrapped up the tie on Friday in straight sets after having two match points.
"She was watching the match from home in Moscow and it's really hard for her. But she's really proud and happy and that's good."
Myskina, the ninth seed, faces compatriot Elena Dementieva, seeded six, on Monday for a place in the quarter-finals and she paid tribute to her family who supported her after the devastating loss in Paris.
"It was hard after Paris because I couldn't defend my title. I was really upset but then I talked to my family and my coach and they said that I just had to go out there and play a lot of matches to get my confidence back.
"So it was the right decision to play in Eastbourne last week (where she made the quarter-finals) and be here right now."
Despite her problems off the court, the Russian Fed Cup star insists that she is regaining her confidence again although she has never got beyond the fourth round at the All England Club in six previous appearances.
"I have started believing in myself again," she said.
"I know what I can do right now even if I am not playing my best tennis. But I am fighting and I will do my best no matter what."

_LuCaS_
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Court 13, 2nd match

ys
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:25 PM
We have the only match in BOTH draw that features two Top 10 players and ... Court 13? :rolls: I guess, girls will just be less nervous..

Daniel
Jun 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Nastya :D

jacky90104
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Myskina will win :) :) :)

goldenlox
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:20 PM
http://images.scotsman.com/2005/06/26/2606eleb.jpghttp://sport.scotsman.com/img/pxl.gifhttp://sport.scotsman.com/img/pxl.gifhttp://sport.scotsman.com/img/sos.gif (http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/)
Sun 26 Jun 2005http://sport.scotsman.com/img/pxl.gifElena Dementieva consoled herself after losing to Anastasia Myskina in Paris by going out on the town with her.
Elena plays a rushing game

HISTORICALLY - and when you are talking about two women of 23, the idea of history does seem a little ridiculous - but, historically, when Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva play each other, Myskina always wins. They meet again tomorrow in the fourth round, weather permitting, their umpteenth match over the course of a lifetime.

It all started years ago when they were kids growing up in Moscow. Training together at the Moscow Spartak club and becoming the best of friends, they used to liven up their practice matches with a little bet: the loser buys the pizza. Myskina ate well and Dementieva was always skint.

Their most famous face-off was in the French Open final last year when, as is always the way, Myskina walloped her mate for the loss of only three games. Dementieva, stricken with nerves, served ten double faults. A bit like watching a car crash, it was gruesome but fascinating.

It was the first all-Russian final in the history of the women's game and was the start of the Russian revolution last year. From Myskina's victory at Roland Garros, Maria Sharapova won Wimbledon and Svetlana Kuznetsova won the US Open, where she beat Dementieva in the final.

For all the hype around the Russian women, Dementieva was the forgotten name - she was a loser, and yet she was the most consistent of the group.

Most of the others were one-hit wonders - only Sharapova has continued to win with reckless abandon - while Dementieva reached two Grand Slam finals.

Not only that, but she had been part of the original Russian revolution, one step behind Anna Kournikova. Both were blonde, both were from Moscow but, unlike the much-photographed Miss K, Dementieva actually won things.

When she first emerged as a potential world beater in 2000, she was just 18. She reached the semi-finals of the US Open and had Lindsay Davenport on the ropes before she suddenly realised where she was and what she was doing. She was on the verge of reaching her first Grand Slam final and she was not ready. Collapsing with a fit of the jitters, she was marked down as a choker, not to be bothered with. And yet the US Open was one of many places that year where she proved that she had real talent.

"When I look back on my tennis career I realised that the year 2000 was the greatest year of my career," she said. "I was 18 years old; I was in the semi-finals of the US Open; I was in the semi-finals of the Championships and I won a silver medal at the Olympic Games but it just came too quickly to me, too fast.

"I was under pressure all the time. I was top 10 but I didn't feel like a top 10 player and that was a really hard time for me. I started to lose in first rounds because I didn't have enough confidence, all the people were pushing me and saying 'you have to win this one, you are a big player now' and so it was a very difficult time for me."

And for the next five years she stumbled around the circuit, failing to live up to her potential. Only at the start of last year did life start to improve. Working with Olga Morozova, the 1974 Wimbledon finalist, the confidence began to return and she was on her way the French and US Open finals.

The manner of her loss to Myskina was unbearable - she was in tears both during and after the match - but the loss to Kuznetsova gave her hope. She had choked horribly in Paris but in Flushing Meadows, she was simply beaten. No nerves, no disgrace, just a little disappointment.

"I think that was the most incredible moment of my tennis career," she said. "I would never forget this moment. At the end of the tournament I was so tired, my leg was injured and I wasn't satisfied with the way I played that match but it was still the best moment in my career. I'd never forget it. I look at my runner's-up trophy very often when I'm at home and this reminds me how good this tournament was for me."

The feelgood factor is, she hopes, going to carry her through to the quarter-finals in SW19 for the first time. But that means beating Myskina and that is a big ask. "It's always interesting to play against her because we know each other so well," was the best assessment she could manage.

When she lost to her pal in Paris, it took her mother to mop her up and persuade her to celebrate the fact that she had, at last, reached the final of a major tournament. So out she went to have a few sherbets and who did she take along with her? Her bestest friend Myskina. Who else?

"We were just celebrating this final," Dementieva said, "and people, when they saw us they were like 'Oh, it's Myskina and, oooh, it's Dementieva and they are together.' They couldn't believe their eyes, they thought we wouldn't be speaking to each other. When we were younger, if I lost to her I wouldn't talk to her for a couple of days but now I play against Russian players almost every week, so I'm kind of used to it."

Myskina is kind of used to Dementieva, too. She has just been through the worst few weeks of her life as her mother has battled against cancer. Her results have been awful - she was the first champion to be trounced in the first round of the French Open just weeks ago - and her mind has been elsewhere. But with the news that her mother is doing a little better and with a battling 6-0, 5-7, 10-8 win over Jelena Jankovic on Friday, she thinks she has turned a corner.

And facing Dementieva again, she knows just what to expect. "I know her weaknesses," she said. "I know what she can do best. And she knows the same things about me. I know her serve is not that great. She's improving it every day but that's still my advantage and I have to take it."

Growing up in what used to be the Soviet Union, both women share memories of the bad old days, days when there was no foreign travel, no money and no way out.

"It's a funny time to remember now," Dementieva recalled, "because we were washing the balls after each practice, you know. We couldn't find a skirt for me to play a match so we bought a long skirt and then my mum just cut it in the way I needed. She was good at sewing in those times."

Such memories give the Russians a different perspective on life and grim determination to make the most of their chances. Having spent that last week or so working with Richard Krajicek, the 1996 Wimbledon champion, to beef up that dolly serve of hers, Dementieva knows that, little by little, she is making progress. To reach the last eight here would be a real achievement but to lose to Myskina would not be the end of the world either.

While Sharapova hogs the limelight and Kuznetsova struggles to come to terms with her role as a Grand Slam champion, Dementieva, the unsung heroine of the pack, is the one who is quietly improving all the time.

And whoever wins between Myskina and Dementieva, one thing is certain - it will be pizza for supper on Monday night.

ys
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:32 PM
but, historically, when Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva play each other, Myskina always wins.

Always, that is why their head-2-head is 6:3

Not only that, but she had been part of the original Russian revolution, one step behind Anna Kournikova.

So was Myskina. They all were the part of junior Russian Big Four of the first wave.

When she first emerged as a potential world beater in 2000, she was just 18. She reached the semi-finals of the US Open and had Lindsay Davenport on the ropes before she suddenly realised where she was and what she was doing.

She never had Lindsay on the ropes int hat match.

She was on the verge of reaching her first Grand Slam final and she was not ready. Collapsing with a fit of the jitters, she was marked down as a choker, not to be bothered with.

It was , in fact, Lindsay who nearly choked and nearly collapsed in that match.

Working with Olga Morozova, the 1974 Wimbledon finalist

French Open finalist first.

"We were just celebrating this final," Dementieva said, "and people, when they saw us they were like 'Oh, it's Myskina and, oooh, it's Dementieva and they are together.' They couldn't believe their eyes, they thought we wouldn't be speaking to each other.

This is so sweet.. Imagine Serena and Justine or Serena and Capriati doing the same.. :lol:

Growing up in what used to be the Soviet Union, both women share memories of the bad old days, days when there was no foreign travel, no money and no way out.

It all ended around 1988. They both were 7. They surely remember.

And whoever wins between Myskina and Dementieva, one thing is certain - it will be pizza for supper on Monday night.

Doubt it, as the winner will have to play ( probably Mauresmo ) next day..

These journos.. :retard:

DEETHELICK
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Good luck to Elena!

Nice to see such a strong bond between the two. But Elena has to put that out of her mind and focus on playing tennis!

Alenyaa
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Nice article, I really like it. :yeah:

goldenlox
Jun 26th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Court 13 -

Centre Court (13,813), No.1 Court (11,429), Court 2 (2,990), Court 13 (1,541), Court 3(800) and Court 18 (788+).

goldenlox
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:16 PM
http://ads.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/customavatars/avatar27959_58.gif (http://wtaworld.com/member.php?u=27959) :drink: yum, yum http://smileys.******************/cat/12/12_4_44.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001)http://smileys.******************/cat/12/12_4_19.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001)

No Name Face
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:32 PM
dementieva is the best. she is the only one who could have won two slams in one year. if she beats anastacia here it will be a pivotal moment in her career. i hope she can summon the strength to do it.

Munchen
Jun 27th, 2005, 04:39 AM
I really hope Dementieva wins.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 27th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Please ESPN, I'm begging you. Show this match.

Sevenseas
Jun 27th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Go Elena!!!!!!!! :bounce: