PDA

View Full Version : ESPY Award Nominations (Roger left off Male Athlete List)

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I put this thread on the menstennisforumn, but I thought it was news worthy that Peyton Mannying, Vijay Singh, Lance Armstrong, Micheal Phelps, and Bode Miller all got on the list, but Roger didn't!! Please ESPY, give him a nomination. He is more dominate than any other man of the list in his sport!! Not to mention that so guy on ESPN radio was saying that Maria should get Best Female Athlete over Annika. OKAY!! Maria has won one major, whereas Annika is far more dominate in her sport than Maria!!

RenaSlam.
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:09 PM
That is ridiculous that Roger was left off the list. Absurd.

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM
That is ridiculous that Roger was left off the list. Absurd.

I TOTALLY AGREE!! you probably already knew that though!!(lol)

Oneofakind0490
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Whos on the womens list? Roger should be on the list. Its more of American awards.

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Whos on the womens list? Roger should be on the list. Its more of American awards.

Annika, Maria, Semoine Augustus(college basketball), Natalie Coughlin (swimming). Annika SHOULD win hands down!!

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:24 PM
omG. that sucks for roger. :sad: maria shouldn't win either. she may get it at some point in her career, but i hope they make her have a better year than last.

PaulieM
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:24 PM
that's ridiculous that maria made the list and roger didn't :(

SelesFan70
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:23 PM
The ESPY nomination committee probably doesn't know who he is... :o If he's not playing Roddick, Nadal, or Agassi he's invisible. :tape:

franny
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Anika wins like every year doesn't she? Time to spread around the love.

harloo
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:12 PM
go annika. Sharapova does not deserve the award yet.

Federer off the list is scandalous.:fiery:

TakeThat
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:39 PM
that's ridiculous that maria made the list and roger didn't :(
You have to consider the source. :rolleyes: Womens tennis has much higher profile then mens tennis as far ESPN is concerned. Not to mention, mes category is more competitive because there are so many professional teams in the US, in addition to individual atheletes. In womens category, it's almost always individual sports that get better representation.

Albireo
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Golf: a good walk, spoiled.

No golfer should be on a list of athletes.

"I thought, in order to be called a sport, you had to sweat while playing it." --John McEnroe

lizchris
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I put this thread on the menstennisforumn, but I thought it was news worthy that Peyton Mannying, Vijay Singh, Lance Armstrong, Micheal Phelps, and Bode Miller all got on the list, but Roger didn't!! Please ESPY, give him a nomination. He is more dominate than any other man of the list in his sport!! Not to mention that so guy on ESPN radio was saying that Maria should get Best Female Athlete over Annika. OKAY!! Maria has won one major, whereas Annika is far more dominate in her sport than Maria!!

The person in question was probably Eirc Kasilies or Steve Phillips, who were filling in for the morons (Fat and Slim I call them) who ususally host the morning show. The fact that they think Maria should win over Annika means they are using the wrong head to think with, espeically if Annika wins the (golf) US Open this weekend. That would be equal to winning three tennis Grand Slams in one year.

And it is an outrage that Roger wasn't nominated for Male Athlete of the Year.

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Further evidence tennis gets no respect. Lance won 1 friggin' race all year and is painted a hero and wins all these athlete awards, whereas Roger wins the equivalent of 3 Tours in one year and gets nothing.

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:12 PM

"I thought, in order to be called a sport, you had to sweat while playing it." --John McEnroe

That's how I feel!! My dad's friend and I had a good discussion on whether golf is actually a sport. My dad's friend is a pro golfer who doesn't have a tour card, just is good enough. He and i have played tennis in the past as well. Any hoo, I brought up John Daly, and asked him if she was an athlete. He agreed he wasn't, but still thinks golf is a sport and that tennis players are barely more athletic than golfers. I WAS PISSED!! Myself being a tennis player, I know that any golfer other than Tiger couldn't run 5 miles with starts and stops, have the hand-eye coordination, the flexiblity, the strength, the stamina, and the balance to play tennis at a high level. Golf is an activity that a player can walk(name another sport that allows you to do that) and nobody can alter your shot. You have a caddy telling you what club to use, you can talk as much time to hit your shot, and your caddy carries your bag. Golf is a great competition, but tennis is one of the most athletic sports out there!!

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:13 PM
The person in question was probably Eirc Kasilies or Steve Phillips, who were filling in for the morons (Fat and Slim I call them) who ususally host the morning show. The fact that they think Maria should win over Annika means they are using the wrong head to think with, espeically if Annika wins the (golf) US Open this weekend. That would be equal to winning three tennis Grand Slams in one year.

And it is an outrage that Roger wasn't nominated for Male Athlete of the Year.

The guy had white hair and looked like an absolute moron. I e-mailed them this morning on my outrage, but i don't think it got on!!

Albireo
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:16 PM
That's how I feel!! My dad's friend and I had a good discussion on whether golf is actually a sport. My dad's friend is a pro golfer who doesn't have a tour card, just is good enough. He and i have played tennis in the past as well. Any hoo, I brought up John Daly, and asked him if she was an athlete. He agreed he wasn't, but still thinks golf is a sport and that tennis players are barely more athletic than golfers. I WAS PISSED!! Myself being a tennis player, I know that any golfer other than Tiger couldn't run 5 miles with starts and stops, have the hand-eye coordination, the flexiblity, the strength, the stamina, and the balance to play tennis at a high level. Golf is an activity that a player can walk(name another sport that allows you to do that) and nobody can alter your shot. You have a caddy telling you what club to use, you can talk as much time to hit your shot, and your caddy carries your bag. Golf is a great competition, but tennis is one of the most athletic sports out there!!

Which is not to say, of course, that it doesn't take a great deal of skill. But many things take a great deal of physical skill without being sports. ;)

(You also left out the mention of the existence and use of golf carts. ;) )

lizchris
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:18 PM
The guy had white hair and looked like an absolute moron. I e-mailed them this morning on my outrage, but i don't think it got on!!

If he had a goatee, then that was Steve Phillips and he is a moron.

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Which is not to say, of course, that it doesn't take a great deal of skill. But many things take a great deal of physical skill without being sports. ;)

(You also left out the mention of the existence and use of <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=golf%20carts" onmouseover="window.status='golf carts'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">golf carts</a>. ;) )

SO TRUE!! Golf carts are the reason somemany Americans are overweight (especially the old men that think golf is an activity that helped you lose weight, as they did their 5th beer of the day)!! Any sport that you can compete on a national scale when you are 70 is a reason that golf isn't a sport. You can play tennis when your 70, but there is no way anyone would want to watch it. It does take a lot of skill, but so does fixing a car or painting a great picture, but they aren't sports.

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:23 PM
If he had a goatee, then that was Steve Phillips and he is a moron.

Yep, that's the douche-bag. Thank God the other guy disagreed with him and said Annika!!

miffedmax
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:26 PM
What do you expect from the network that would rather show you where strawberries come from than cover Dementieva/Washington or Kuzzy/Vaidisova?

And if golf is a sport, then I'm the Emperor of the Universe.

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:27 PM
What do you expect from the network that would rather show you where strawberries come from than cover Dementieva/Washington or Kuzzy/Vaidisova?

And if golf is a sport, then I'm the Emperor of the Universe.

Another person I agree with, thank you!!

lizchris
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Yep, that's the douche-bag. Thank God the other guy disagreed with him and said Annika!!

Not only is he a douchebag, he is a loser. Steve Phillips was a General Manager of the NY Mets baseball team before he got fired for all the bad deals he made. No other baseball team would hire him, so he had to resort to working at ESPN as a baseball analyst and talk show host.

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Not only is he a douchebag, he is a loser. Steve Phillips was a General Manager of the NY Mets baseball team before he got fired for all the bad deals he made. No other baseball team would hire him, so he had to resort to working at ESPN as a baseball analyst and talk show host.

Wow, doesn't that sound a lot like many other coaches that get fired and end up working for ESPN becasue NO ONE wants them (Brad Gilbert...)!!

Albireo
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:30 PM
In any event, the ESPYs are the sports equivalent of the Grammys-- full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. A microbe fart has more substance than the ESPYs.

lizchris
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:33 PM
BTW, another ESPN radio host just played a sound effect laughing at Maria's nomination for Female athlete of the Year.

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:39 PM
BTW, another ESPN radio host just played a sound effect laughing at Maria's nomination for Female athlete of the Year.

Good to hear that!! Maria gets nominated over the number one player in the world because she won Wimbledon and is hot!! I guess in 1997, Anna should've been nominated for her semi at Wimbledon over Martina Hingis. Maria got her arse kicked by Davenport 6-0, 6-0 if anyone remembers!!

kosmikgroove
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Has anyone forgot that ESPN covers

POKER AND SPELLING BEE'S?!

Those are the 2 least physically demanding "sports"! Can you imagine the outrage if some 3rd grade dork was nominated best male athlete?!

ESPN has always been an odd sports network...

caseyl45
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Myself being a tennis player, I know that any golfer other than Tiger couldn't run 5 miles with starts and stops, have the hand-eye coordination, the flexiblity, the strength, the stamina, and the balance to play tennis at a high level.

You did know that before she started focusing on golf full-time, that Annika Sorenstam was a nationally-ranked junior tennis player in Sweden, right?

K-Dog
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:55 PM
You did know that before she started focusing on golf full-time, that Annika Sorenstam was a nationally-ranked junior tennis player in Sweden, right?

Yes, I've known that for a couple of years now!!

miffedmax
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:10 PM

Yes, and if she'd been a good enough athlete she might have stuck with it!

Seriously, Annika, Tiger and a few others are proof that some athletes are golfers. But that's far different from saying all golfers are athletes.

Davenselesport
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Well true... I went to the US Open at Pinehurt and not everyone is very fit there... Singh works the hardest and seems very nice.

Albireo
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:35 AM
I have to ask:

For those who don't consider golf to be a "proper" sport, how can you justify giving a golfer (i.e. Sorenstam) a sports award over a tennis player-- if golf is not a "real" sport, then doesn't one tennis Slam outweigh any number of golf Slams in terms of accomplishment?

RatedR Superstar
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:54 AM
ESPY is really more of an appreciation of american athletes,thats why i dont watch it and i dont care who wins

VS Fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:09 AM
I have posted this before, but in my opinion, for an activity to be a "sport", there must be a defense to the ability to score.

Tennis, Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey qualify as "sports".

Golf, Bowling, Darts, Shuffleboard, do NOT qualify, since an opponent, can only watch as you apply your skill to the game. They CANNOT interfere.

These are games of SKILL, not sport. My 2 cents.

Ryan
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:19 AM
:rolleyes: Golf is a sport.

It may not require sprints, or physical contact, but you must have impeccable hand-eye coordination, mental strength, and upper body strength to pummel a ball 300 yards.:) Case closed.

Ryan
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:19 AM
I have posted this before, but in my opinion, for an activity to be a "sport", there must be a defense to the ability to score.

Tennis, Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey qualify as "sports".

Golf, Bowling, Darts, Shuffleboard, do NOT qualify, since an opponent, can only watch as you apply your skill to the game. They CANNOT interfere.

These are games of SKILL, not sport. My 2 cents.

A sport has never been defined as something where and opponent interferes with you.

lucashg
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:31 AM
It seems ESPY Awards mean absolutely nothing as the Laureaus Award winner didn't even get nominated. Tss!

I don't really think Maria deserved that nomination, apart from Wimbledon and the YEC, she reached Roland Garros' QFs, Zurich F and had some Tier III, IV titles, finishing #3 in the world. That's hardly HUGELY impressive considering all female athletes who competed last year on any kind of sport. I don't even think she should win the Best Female Tennis Player as Justine was more impressive than her in those 9 tournaments she played, half of them being ill.

franny
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:27 AM
A sport is anything that involves competition. Bird watching can be considered a sport if people compete to see how many birds they can spot.

franny
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Oh and Maria should win breakthrough performance and female tennis athlete. I can see why Justine should win it too though, cuz she was so amazing early on before the virus. But you know that Maria is going to win it. Oh, and Maria will not win athlete of the year. Trust me, Anika will win it. Everyone is saying Anika deserves it. I don't know who the ESPN radio guy was, but on ESPN, the commentators and analysts were all saying Anika by a mile.

jacobruiz
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:51 AM
I have to ask:

For those who don't consider golf to be a "proper" sport, how can you justify giving a golfer (i.e. Sorenstam) a sports award over a tennis player-- if golf is not a "real" sport, then doesn't one tennis Slam outweigh any number of golf Slams in terms of accomplishment?

Apparantly not when we're talking about Maria.:rolleyes:

ceiling_fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:57 AM

It most definitely should be a recognized sport. Even though it does not take much fitness ... It takes a LOT of skill, and mental strength to be good at golf. But still, golfers must be physically prepared for the burden of potential injury if not prepared well for example when making swings