PDA

View Full Version : Callens' cheeky advice to Kim Clijsters

gopher
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Els Callens gave five hints to Kim Clijsters today in Het Laatste Nieuws Belgium's leading sports newspaper before her match to Vinci:

1) Play the ball deep (keeps Vinci from coming to the net)
2) Serve on the body (disrupts serve-and-volley)
3) Mix it up (Vinci tries to play Italian "booktennis" so just confuse her expectations)
4) Attack her backhand (she has only a weak slice backhand)
5) if things still go wrong, be assured she is a choker

Quite fun to get a player's analysis during the tournament.

Callens had Vinci as a doubles' partner !!!:lol:

Beat
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:33 PM

she didn't say this, did she :eek: ? that's rather offensive.

and :lol: about callens giving advice to clijsters anway...

*JR*
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:34 PM
I don't know why Els is doing this (unless she had a falling out with Roby when they played dubs as a team). Someone should remind Els that @ Antwerp '04, she was going 2B denied a MD WC by TD and Clijsters Crony Bob Verbeeck, so that the Winless Wonder (Elke, who's never won a WTA singles match) could get one for the 3rd straight year. :rolleyes: (Only Flipper having to give up hers due to an injury got Antwerp resident Els one for that MD, not Qualifying).

gopher
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:40 PM

no she said it slightly differently, like she has a hard time winning big matches, happened each time in Eastbourne she was taking a lead

Babolatpro880
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Callens should really be working on her own career, not worrying about someone who has had more success than she ever will :lol:

E. Blackadder
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Els would be a perfect coach. She has a great tactical insight but unfortunately she doesn't have the physique (anymore) or the power to compete with the younger girls there days

At Rolland Garros she was comentating for Belgian TV and seh sure gave us a real inside tactical and technical look on tennis!

gopher
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Callens should really be working on her own career, not worrying about someone who has had more success than she ever will :lol:

Unqualified comment

we have to give vinci credit but as she is only 22 but still a few figures to compare:

Prize money: Callens is top 100 all times with $1.7 mln, Vinci has $600.000
career highest ranking: Callens 43, Vinci 64
doubles highest ranking: callens 12, Vinci also 12
Callens has 10 career doubles titles, Vinci 2
Callens has also won the Fedcup (in which she DID play a role it was not all Kim and Justine)

Still some work to do for Vinci I would say.

manu
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Unqualified comment

we have to give vinci credit but as she is only 22 but still a few figures to compare:

Callens has also won the Fedcup (in which she DID play a role it was not all Kim and Justine)

I think babolatpro was talking about Kim Clijsters.

danra
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Unqualified comment

I assumed he was referring to Kim :confused:

charmedRic
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
funny.

Babolatpro880
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Yes, I was talking about Kim, not Roberta lol

Brαm
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I don't know why Els is doing this (unless she had a falling out with Roby when they played dubs as a team). Someone should remind Els that @ Antwerp '04, she was going 2B denied a MD WC by TD and Clijsters Crony Bob Verbeeck, so that the Winless Wonder (Elke, who's never won a WTA singles match) could get one for the 3rd straight year. :rolleyes: (Only Flipper having to give up hers due to an injury got Antwerp resident Els one for that MD, not Qualifying).
How is this relevant in a thread about Vinci? :shrug:

Mercury Rising
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Jolly Roger I presume? :lol: :tape:

Darop.
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Unqualified comment

callens is also 32 and her career is over, while roby is 22 and she is coming out just now.

*JR*
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:36 PM
How is this relevant in a thread about Vinci? :shrug:
Bram, first the thread title is about Els Callens giving match advice to Kim Clijsters. Now you're a smart young fellow, who I've always liked here (and still do, BTW). Which also means that your smart enough 2C the relevance. But as you insist, I'll "paint you a picture". ;)

As you know, Lei traded Kim playing (defunct after '03) Leipzig to get '02 and '03 MD WC's for the Winless Wonder. (He didn't have to "trade" re. Antwerp, as his buddy Verbeeck is the TD, besides being Kim's agent). And in Antwerp, it was also for '04, until Elke took @ least "a break" from the tour.

And in '04, Els was gonna get screwed out of it, until Flipper had to withdraw with an injury. (Though Caroline Maes also deserved it more than the clearly "going nowhere" Elke did, but she didn't get one). Right and wrong is not determined by who you or I like as a player.

This "endless payoff" was wrong, and Kim clearly could have told Lei and Bob: "Stop it". And Els is being a wimp IMO for not refusing 2B involved with the "Gang of Four" (Bob, Lei, Kim, and Elke) as she knows damned well that they took what they wanted, whoever else may have deserved it.

Brαm
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:39 PM
But Roger, I know your point of view on this matter, you've already explained it to me like 10 times :)
I just don't see why you post this in a thread about Els giving advice to Kim on how to beat Roby... This isn't a thread about wildcards, Elke Clijsters, Bob Verbeeck...

:wavey:

gopher
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:43 PM
sorry Balbolat misinterpreted your post.

Callens will be retiring btw after US Open I believe and her frequent tennis analysis sessions can be seen in view of the preparation of her after-WTA life.

thelittlestelf
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Go Kim!

Hagar
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Els would be a perfect coach. She has a great tactical insight but unfortunately she doesn't have the physique (anymore) or the power to compete with the younger girls there days

At Rolland Garros she was comentating for Belgian TV and seh sure gave us a real inside tactical and technical look on tennis!

EXACTLY!!! The few times that I heard her comment, I immediately noticed that her analyses are excellent. I find them better than the analyses from Sabine (Appelmans), and as good as the ones by Dominique (Monami).

Meesh
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:03 AM
I wish I saw it... was it on TV or print?