PDA

View Full Version : Lena D. def Mashona 7/5 6/1

Vamos Feńa
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Well done Lena :D :D
Should have won that 6/3 6/0 but still a win is a win :worship:
The serve not so fast but 4DF-s only! :hug:
Now the most important thing, pls pass 4r!!!!!!!!

No Name Face
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:22 PM
only 4 double faults!!! :eek:

the speeds were a lot lower though but great job. third consecutive 4r showing in GS's...now WIN this 4r.

Lemonskin.
Cool :D

ginger_fish668
Great 2nd set & match Elena! :bounce:

DEETHELICK
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Well done Elena! You showed us some great toughness. The final set score is very satisfying and you learnt your lessons from Weds match! Good luck in the 4th round :)

Congrats :D
Any match reports?

Hantuchov
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Awesome Alyona! :hearts: :yeah: ;)

Finally another easy win after the tough match in R2 :bigclap:

And sooo few DF's, maybe a record in your career! :bolt:

I don't remember when Alyona's opponent had more DF's than her :lol:

Anyways, good stats and take a good rest till next Monday! :hug: :smooch:

Good Luck in R4, don't forget you deserve much more! :drool: ;) :bounce:

SelesFan70
:sad: Mashona...good run, though :yeah:

:bigclap: Keep it up Elena...be a surprise semi-finalist!

-Kieron-
Well done Elena :)

daffodil
Great Job Alyona!

Sevenseas
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Congratulations Elena!!! :D

Shoulderpova
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:26 PM
only 4 DFs :eek: :bolt: :bolt:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Well done Lena. :D

Chunchun
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:36 PM
And sooo few DF's, maybe a record in your career! :bolt:

I don't remember when Alyona's opponent had less DF's than her :lol:

Moscow 2004 QF def. Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-1 6-3 : 0 DF ;)

anyway Lena plzzz win a 4th round this time :bowdown: it will be so upset to stop @ 4R again :crying2:

Dementinator
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Well done Lena!! my god she was soo strong out there today ,her serves were not that fast but her Forehands were blistering and not many DFs!

Soory Mashona ,my god you can play on grass allright!! wow but in the end ,it just had to happen ,the Golden Goddess was simplt ot powerful today ,YOU HAVE BEEN DEMENTINATED!!

Clai
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Great win Lena! keep it up!

Foot's Fingers
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Well done Lena

A bit nervous end of first set, but then storm through the second :kiss:

Helas
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Great job Elena but a bit too many breaks of serve :( ;)

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM
that's great stuff from her. i thought this would be much much tougher. more winners than unforced errors and fewer than 5 double faults-- she's peaking at the right time!

JenFan75
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:20 PM
w00t! Good luck in the fourth round Lena!

lukehingis
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Elena surprised me! But I'm SO glad she did it in 2 sets. Hope she can maintain her play. Nastya will be tough. (shd nastya win.. leading 6-0 4-3)

I really hope that she makes it to the QFs at least.. once she's past that, who knows?

Hope she isn't wearing the thigh brace, anyone knows if she is?

RussiansFan
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Very well, Lena!!!! This time an easier win than in the 2nd round, and also a more convincing one!
Only 4DFs (less than her opponent!) and solid baseline strokes! Well done!!!
:worship: :worship: :banana: :bounce:

Irish
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Well done Elena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Now it gets interesting.

@m@nd@
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM
:woohoo:
WELL DONE ELENA!!!
congrats :yeah:

hablo
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM
great Lena!!

now a fantastique match-up with Nastya!!! :banana:

I wonder who will win?? :bounce: :devil:

Task
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Elena :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Principessa
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Lena! :woohoo:

Dava
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:45 PM
She made a meal of it, shoudl really have been a lot easier in the first set but once Mashona upped her level, Elena responded and took her through. It was her returns which got her through this, really punisihing the Washington serve...dont really know whos going to win in the next round though, it might be a bit of a nightmare match for both :lol:

Lennval
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:19 PM
great win elena!!!

TiK-Tee
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah!! Elena

joz
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Announcers blabbed on at the end of the first set about how awful Dementiava's serve is... they didn't even mention that she got four first serves in to serve out the first set... and that NO they didn't all go to the forhand as they'd been saying...
Why are the announcers there anyway if they're not going to watch the match they are televising?
Just rediculous that they didn't comment on that game.

BTW... did anyone find it odd that Mary Joe choose to compare Mashona to Chanda? Of all the players playing today... I just found that odd. Almost like she was only trying to compare her to another black player? I thought that was odd... and yes, I heard the attempted save comment about them both being from Houston... but I'm not even sure that's accurate. I'm not going to say it was a racial thing, but it did seem odd since Chanda hasn't really been that visible the last couple of years.

KV
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Good scoreline :D

V-MAC
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:18 PM
hmm, the first set seemed a complete embarrassment for both players:o.In the first set, did anyone manage to hold serve at least once untill Elena finally served out for the set at 6-5?

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:37 PM
E. Dementieva - Day 5
Friday, June 24, 2005

Q. The first set was interesting with the serves, wasn't it? Nobody could really seem to hold serve.

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: I think that was pretty tough condition to play, you know. It was very windy on the court and I thought that, you know, it comes, the rain. And that was kind of difficult.

But I think my serve was pretty good today ‑ much better than the previous match. And, you know, just feel like finally I've got my confidence on my serve.

Q. You've been working with Richard Krajicek, is that true?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Yeah, I was working with him last week and here as well, and he helped me a lot with my serve. I was very pleased that he was working with me because I think he had the best serve on the tour. You know, it's just so simple ‑ it looks so simple when he does it.

You know, he left already, unfortunately for me, but I'm always thinking what he told me to do on the court, and I hope to work with him again.

Q. Your serve looks better now, doesn't it? Does it feel better?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: For me, yeah. I feel more confident, you know. Even if I'm doing ‑ if I do double‑faults, you know, I feel like I'm doing the right thing and I'm trying, you know. It's kind of difficult to change your serve, you know, just a week before the Grand Slam.

But, you know, I really like my new serve.

Q. So Krajicek worked on the mental aspect of the serve as well as the motion?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: No, he said that I don't need to. He said everything is okay, you know, just a couple thing that we are working on. He thinks that, you know, one day it can be my weapon. All I need ‑ you know, it just takes some time, you know, and to believe in myself and to get my confidence. Because the motion, it's pretty good.

Q. What did you feel was maybe the problem from last year playing on grass here to now, to where you are now? How do you feel you've come on?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Yeah, after French Open final last year, I think I didn't have enough time to prepare myself for the grass season. And, you know, this time, you know, I'm just happy that I'm able to play because just a couple days ago I didn't know if I could do it because of my arm injury. You know, I'm just so happy that my shoulder is getting better. And, you know, I'm just, you know, trying to play ‑ maybe not my best tennis but, you know, every time it looks like it's getting better.

Q. Have you looked at who you may face in the next round? Perhaps Myskina.

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Myskina or Jankovic, yeah.

Q. Can you maybe tell us something about what you know of those two?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: I mean, with Myskina, we play lots of time. You know, I think last time she beat me. And it's gonna be ‑ it's always interesting for me to play against her because we know each other very well. It's always a battle against us, and it's gonna be a fight, you know.

But I've never been in the quarterfinals here, so that's what I'm looking for, and I'll try to play my best.

Vamos Feńa
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:41 PM
hmm, the first set seemed a complete embarrassment for both players:o.In the first set, did anyone manage to hold serve at least once untill Elena finally served out for the set at 6-5?
Well in 1set Lena held her serve 3 times:
1)to 15 at 0/1
2)to love at 2/1
3)to love at 6/5

No Name Face
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:42 PM

Elena held her first service game. So did Mashona.

Jakub
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM
well done Elena :hearts: :kiss:

keep going girl

strato
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:28 PM
While play was suspended they broadcasted her entire match, and I can tell you that Lena's groundies were terrific, extremely long, so that, even if she didn't make that many winners, Washington had always difficulties to play her game. That was a real good match from Elena !

gmak
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:36 PM
yay alyona :kiss: :hearts: :yeah: :D

very good match :D good luck against myskina ;)

miffedmax
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:47 PM
While play was suspended they broadcasted her entire match, and I can tell you that Lena's groundies were terrific, extremely long, so that, even if she didn't make that many winners, Washington had always difficulties to play her game. That was a real good match from Elena !

ESPN felt it was more important to show us where strawberries come from.

This is my rant for the day. Yes, I ranted to ESPN, too.

selyoink
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Good work Elena winning comfortably.

Rub
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:48 AM
gud luck next round lena!

Prizeidiot
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Good win... 4 double faults is good stuff

Anastasia next... hope Elena doesn't think about past results too much

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:10 PM