PDA

View Full Version : When your favorite player loses ...

auntie janie
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Does WHO they lose to affect how you react?

It doesn't really make sense, after all -- I mean, if your player is out, they are OUT, no matter who has beaten them. But I find that seeing Justine lose to the likable Eleni was less painful for me than some other losses of hers, even though it was a first round loss in a Slam, which has to be a very bad thing. Strange!

Do you gnash your teeth if your player loses to Maria, but merely sigh if she loses to Kim (or vice versa?) Does a loss to an aging veteran, or a former top player who has been through a rash of injuries, hurt you less, or more, than a loss to a brash teenage rookie like Sesil?

Obviously, no one is going to be happy when their player loses to someone that fan "hates". But aside from that situation -- and if you don't "hate" any player -- then how much are you affected by WHO beat your fave?

Serena!
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Well, for me it does make a difference. Because if Serena loses to like a nobody, or someone who is ranked pretty low, and you know that she should have beat, it's really annoying. Also, for me when Serena loses to Maria, I have bitter sweet feelings, becuase I know that Maria is a great player, but I also know that they have a heated rivalry, and that Serena will take a blow o her confidence.

volta
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:43 AM
no only the way they lose affects the way i react.

auntie janie
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Well, for me it does make a difference. Because if Serena loses to like a nobody, or someone who is ranked pretty low, and you know that she should have beat, it's really annoying. Also, for me when Serena loses to Maria, I have bitter sweet feelings, becuase I know that Maria is a great player, but I also know that they have a heated rivalry, and that Serena will take a blow o her confidence.

What if Serena, rusty, just coming back from an injury layoff, had lost to Eleni, a currently low-ranked but experienced grass-court player?

daffodil
Jun 24th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I think that because Serena (my favourite) used to be such an amazing player, I think anytime she loses I get angry. Whether it's Santangelo :rolleyes:, Farina Elia :rolleyes:, or Davenport, I get angry with her loss because she used to be able to beat them on a regular basis.

Sam's Slave
Jun 24th, 2005, 12:32 PM
of course does it matter. if they lose against a player i don't like i'm more pissed. if my favourites play each other i don't really mind...

DEETHELICK
Jun 24th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I Like Elena D and dislike her losing to Nastya, Maria and Sveta.

I hope she establishes herself as the Top Russian. Her losses against nastya trouble me because Nastya somehow, in some way gets Elena to self destruct.

But its up to Elena to change that as she can hit Nastya off the court.

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:13 PM
yes, it matters to whom she loses. for seles and now for sharapova.

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:47 AM
I hate when Jen loses no doubt but the way I feel about it depends on my feelings of the other player. If she loses to Serena I get pissed. When she lost to Justine in the USO I was also pissed, but Elena D. did not bring the same reaction because I like her. That is the way it goes, but no doubt if it is someone I never heard I also get real mad!!

Kabezya
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:57 AM
I don't upset when Serena or Venus lose. When either of them is playing I take into account how they are playing within and through the match as well as their opponent. Some of the losses or close matches they've had in which they've won have been positive in one hand because I've come away with new appreciations for their opponents and new favorites if you will. But in terms of who they lose to, I don't get upset because my mind isn't on the other player. Whether it's Justine, Maria, Jennifer, Svetlana, Lindsay, my mode of thinking is that Venus and Serena can and should win that particular match. If they are beaten soundly, they are beaten soundly. If health becomes an issue, then health and or fitness is an issue. I've simply come to the place where I enjoy watching Venus and Serena play, after having them out of the game with injuries and then a family member taken away from them, I take all their matches in a different perspective and while I dislike certain players, I care more for Venus and Serena. It helps for me to also take my hints at times from Venus and Serena themselves. If they were in crisis in interviews, with their demeanor, etc, I would probably also be in extremes with my feelings. They're put together quite nicely, I figure I might as well be too.

matthieu_tennis
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:00 AM
often when my favorite player lose against someone i started to hated the others player for 2 week ;p

No Name Face
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:00 AM
I won't get upset if the following lose to:

LenaD: Henin, Clijsters, Serena (although I'll always WANT her to win)

Serena: LenaD (although that's never happened)

mboyle
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:20 AM
When Jennifer lost to the Russians in the SF last year, I got very upset. When she lost to Justine, I was proud. The difference? Justine is a champion with whom Jennifer has always had problems (even in 2001.) That she pushed her as hard as she did really made me beam, even if she should have won. With Myskina, Jen had her owned and then did not even show up on court. It was pathetic and disgusting and shameful, especially because I knew in my heart that Capriati was a far superior player. Then with Dementieva, same deal. Davenport had just lost to Sveta, which just shocked me and pissed me off, because that was supposed to be Lindsay's slam, and then Capriati goes and AGAIN does not show up in the SF of a major, and chokes beyond belief. Again, Capriati had beaten Dementieva at least three times in a row, and Capriati is the better player. She couldn't even attack Dementieva's pathetic serves that day, because she was so tight.

With Maria, I don't mind if she loses to Serena or Justine. When she lost to Lindsay, I did not care so much because she had beaten Linds before and, when push comes to shove, Maria's going to take the important matches. When she lost to Kim, I was like WTF because Kim now officially owns Maria, and that's upsetting. When she lost to Schnyder I just about threw my computer out into the back yard. She was up a set and a break, and it's Patty Schnyder, not Justine or Serena or someone really top tier like that. Also, Maria would have been no. 1 in the world if she had won the match, and it just saddened me so much that she lost it.

With Ana and Nicole, as long as their vanquisher is within the top twenty, I don't really care because they are still developing.

udachi Elena
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:22 AM
I Like Elena D and dislike her losing to Nastya, Maria and Sveta.

I hope she establishes herself as the Top Russian. Her losses against nastya trouble me because Nastya somehow, in some way gets Elena to self destruct.

But its up to Elena to change that as she can hit Nastya off the court.

she sucks her blood in the locker room b4 their matches... Lena has no control over the situation :eek:

ceiling_fan
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:27 AM
It also depends how they lose... Was it a tough 3 setter, or just a quick beating?

When Daniela loses to really lowly ranked players, it is annoying... and now I don't really have many expectations for her but... it is still annoying... but it isn't shameful for her to lose against Kim.... or losing in a tough 3 setter against Elena D at the Aus Open...or serena Williams.
Daniela lost to Maria Sharapova at Wimbledon last year, but since Maria ended up the eventual champion, so it would ease the fall, but since I don't like Maria that much... it is kind of annoying../.

switz
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:34 AM
well i think it also depends where they lose and how they lose etc but it does make a difference.

obviously has a Patty fan i'd prefer she not lose to Conchita for example (although that's usually inevitable). But i wasn't really upset when she lost to Mary at RG even though she probably would have made the final because Mary has always been a big favourite of mine and i felt it was more important for her.

I don't know who i'd feel if Patty played Chanda. They played once ages ago but i didn't pay that much attention then. Chanda has become my favourite player even though she never plays :lol:

the jamierbelyea
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Well with Tammy Tanasugarn obviously I won't get too upset if she loses against a top player because her game is currently not up there with the top. When she plays on clay, I expect her to lose every match as well. I guess I get more frustrated when she plays on grass because I feel she is a top 20 player on grass, but she seems to be in a deep slump, so the losses are not hurting as much as they used too.

lucashg
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Of course it's disappointing when your favorite player loses, but I don't really care so much about it after a brief period of mourning. Granted, I haven't seen Justine losing all that much and the worst loss was definitely this one to Daniilidou, but knowing all the facts which took part on this particular match, and knowing Daniilidou is no pushover on grass and has an enjoyable game, did make up for it a lot.

I remember I truly didn't like it when she lost to Petrova last year at the US Open because she was defending her title and had just come from a great showing at the Olympics (tournament that made me fan of hers), so even knowing she was ill and all, I really thought she should've won that match. Well...

Now all I really want is to see more matches of Justine because she's so talented, enjoyable to watch and a very nice person off-court, not to mention I also love her boss behavior on-court. So I know losses are part of the game, and depending much on the tournament and how she played I care more or less. Regarding her opponents, I don't really like to see her losing to low-ranked untalented big babes, ball-basher youngsters because I know she really should win and women's tennis is not all that interesting if you forget the top players, so I want her to go deep in every tournament.

It's better if Justine loses to Kim, Amelie, Serena, Lindsay, Maria or other top players than to some up-and-coming teen whose name ends with "ova", "eva", "ina", "skya", "enko", "vic" who have one-dimensional games with two-handed unforced errors machine. But on a second thought, a loss to a top-player usually wakes up more trolls than usual, I guess. But we can always avoid GM for a couple of days. :p

Chunchun
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:02 AM
of cuz !

If LenaD lose to somebody outside top 50 or top 100, or those players i hate :p, i will really be pissed off :mad:

franny
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Definitely. I'd rather have Maria and Justine lose to a top player than a nobody. When Maria lost to Schynder, that was a tough one to take. But when Maria lost to Kim, it wasn't so tough because I know that Kim is a great player who was on an amazing run. When Maria loses to Justine, I don't mind because I love Justine to death. However, how she loses is probably more important. Like 6-0 6-0 to Davenport was pretty saddening. But not as saddening as losing three match points against Serena. I'd rather have my faves lose like 6-4, 6-4 or like 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.

alexusjonesfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:15 AM
I get pissed off my fave Justine loses to people I've never heard of like Daniilipoo :(

bigshow21
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:16 AM
YES!!

If Jen loses to someone I don't like or don't even know, I am pissed. But if she loses to someone I like, I don't mind it that much. But I am still mad that Jen even lost in the first place. When Jen lost to Justine in the 03 USO semi...I was pissed because I hated Justine (but now I like Justine so I am not mad about that loss anymore). When Jen lost to Dementieva last year in the USO semi...I didn't mind because I like Elena. So the point of my rambling is, it sure does matter who Jen loses to.

matthieu_tennis
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:53 AM
daniliido was very good player in 2002 she was ttop 20

alexusjonesfan
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:01 AM
daniliido was very good player in 2002 she was ttop 20

please, I've never even heard of her :rolleyes:

Stamp Paid
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Kinda. If its to a skank like Jidkova, then yeah that loss sucks elephant cock. Sad part is, bullshit losses like that for Serena only started happening recently. Also a bagel by Jankovic (a very talented player, no disrespect to her, Serena just should have won at least 1 game) didnt go down easily, injured or NOT.

The inexplicable Wimbledon 2004 final performance is a day that I've worked hard to *ahem* be OK with *sniff* - definitely her most disappointing loss. EVER. Way worse than the FO '03 Semis or even the USO 04 QF. Defintely a scar on the heart from that match.

to Jennifer, its not really so bad although I hate Jen, because I know that she is firmly in Serena's head, and thats the main reason she challenges her so toughly. So Serena really cant help it.

the loss to Venus in Miami was only sucky because Venus hadnt been playing well in forever, and Serena had just won the AO, so she should have toughed out the tiebreak at least. But venus is still venus, and she has beaten Serena more times than anyone else.

So yeah, it depends on the opponent.

greenfunkTHREE.
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Does WHO they lose to affect how you react?

nope. if she loses, it already affects me and i'll rant and sort of say bad things about her for no more than 24hrs. then i'll be back my normal love Emilie and Nastya ways. heehee

CooCooCachoo
Jun 25th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Yes.

If one of my favourites loses to Sharapova, I am more gutted than when they lose to someone else.

Prizeidiot
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Yes.

If one of my favourites loses to Sharapova, I am more gutted than when they lose to someone else.
Same here

I don't mind as much when Elena loses to someone like Kim though

DutchieGirl
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:18 AM
often when my favorite player lose against someone i started to hated the others player for 2 week ;p

:haha: me too... although sometimes longer... ie Meilen Tu is still on my "shit list" from Prague! ;)

James
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Yes.

:haha: I have the same thing.

auntie janie
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I don't upset when Serena or Venus lose. When either of them is playing I take into account how they are playing within and through the match as well as their opponent. Some of the losses or close matches they've had in which they've won have been positive in one hand because I've come away with new appreciations for their opponents and new favorites if you will. But in terms of who they lose to, I don't get upset because my mind isn't on the other player. Whether it's Justine, Maria, Jennifer, Svetlana, Lindsay, my mode of thinking is that Venus and Serena can and should win that particular match. If they are beaten soundly, they are beaten soundly. If health becomes an issue, then health and or fitness is an issue. I've simply come to the place where I enjoy watching Venus and Serena play, after having them out of the game with injuries and then a family member taken away from them, I take all their matches in a different perspective and while I dislike certain players, I care more for Venus and Serena. It helps for me to also take my hints at times from Venus and Serena themselves. If they were in crisis in interviews, with their demeanor, etc, I would probably also be in extremes with my feelings. They're put together quite nicely, I figure I might as well be too.

Great attitude! :worship:

Lady
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Yes, it depends. ;)

But for me it's better that Justine loses say to Eleni (who is a nice girl) THEN TO Serena or Maria or any other top player, because the loss to Eleni can be brushed aside and I don't think it really affects her in a long term (like losses to Petrova and Garbin last year didn't), but the loss to top player can really affect confidence in the future meetings with them. ;)

Kart
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM
It totally matters.

It matters less though if I avoid coming on here for a few days afterward though.

andrewbroad
Jul 20th, 2005, 01:51 AM
The more I like the winner, the less bad I feel for my player. It doesn't matter how good a tennis-player the winner is, or whether I like her for her tennis, her looks or her personality, only how much I like her.

My favourite top player is Maria Sharapova. In a strange way, I feel worse when she loses to another top player than when she loses to - say - Mashona Washington (New Haven 2004). Because a top player will take confidence and a psychological edge from that win and use it against Maria in future matches, whereas Washington's chances of ever beating Maria again are approximately zero.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sizzlingsharapova/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sizzlingsharapova/)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)

AjdeNate!
Jul 20th, 2005, 01:52 AM
My fave loses all the time. And in Round One. :bounce:
I just laugh now. It's gotten humorous.

DragonFlame
Jul 20th, 2005, 02:40 AM
well off course some losses are much worse then others. i dont like justine and elenaD losing to players they should have beat and some topplayers. But thats all individual and depends on their h2h, results, admosphere between players and how they lose in the match.
i felt sad and mad when elena lost to myskina because myskina played incredibly bad this season but somehow she always wins against elena. that made me sad. she really should turn the tides and win against her, she has the ability to do it.

about justine: i felt sad when justine lost to eleni but it was a different sad then i normally feel. i had the feeling she would lose because she hadnt played a grassmatch in 2 years so i wasn't sad or suprised about that. i was more sad about wimbledon because somehow a grandslam is just less fun when your favourite player is out of the tournament really early. do you guys have that too?

Andy.
Jul 20th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Yeah if i like the other player it doesnt hurt as much. If i hate the other player then i get quite pissed. If they lose to a player they shouldnt thats when it really hurts and those matches is when im most nervous.

jcman
Jul 20th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Well, I am now get used to KiKi's losses.
If she manages to win a match, I'd be very happy.
Even fi she loses, I will not be sad

Hots4Safin
Jul 20th, 2005, 04:41 AM
With Venus: the loss to Sesil is what made me the most angry. I mean, a 15 year old? It was like Venus was giving her a present wrapped up in pretty paper with a big ol' bow on top. The loss to Raymond also bothered me quite a bit b/c she'd never even taken a SET off Venus.

Serena: The 04 wimbledon final is still a sore spot for me.

I guess just when it's obvious that a win was possible. Although Sharapova played quite well that day, Serena just looked lost.

Knizzle
Jul 20th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Well, I am now get used to KiKi's losses.
If she manages to win a match, I'd be very happy.
Even fi she loses, I will not be sad

She's suffering from the curse of Venus along with Molik.

kammgretel
Jul 20th, 2005, 04:50 AM
When do you see Elena Dementieva loses?

Did you see she in US Open 2004 her soul of fighter?

Never, she is improving after every tournament,
so I know she is a strong girl !! Never loses! :bounce: