PDA

View Full Version : Could Maria's Easy Draw Come Back to Haunt her!

lili123
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
To me she might as well not even bother, she is guarenteed a place in the semi without a doubt, it is as clear as the sky is blue, but wondering if she has all these easy matches will she then be ready for a tougher match?

lizchris
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:21 PM
It has always hurt Kim and it may just hurt her as well.

Brooks.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:23 PM
she'll be ready...........sadly i think with serena's health in question i think maria is definitely the favorite to defend her title..........it just that not too many girls can compete with her on this surface......if dechy is consistent like she was against lindsay at ao i could see her possibly taking a set from maria but she wouldnt have the nerve to close it out i dont think

faboozadoo15
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
well her opponents haven't been any worse than the players who are pushing the other "top" players. maria is just handling things better and really taking her opponents out of the match and just playing very cleanly. there's never been anything wrong with that in the past.

she's blessed with a good draw, but let's not sit here and pretend klaschka, birnerova, pratt, benesova, santangelo, and haynes are setting the world on fire with their awsomeness. sesil and nuria are at the same level to or superior to those players.

faboozadoo15
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
also maria had 3 3-set matches in birmingham. she'll be match tough i think.

mboyle
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Maria had to play the most promising 15 year old since Martina Hingis and destroyed her 6-0; 6-1. Venus had to play a struggling journeywoman who has no weapon at all and still manages to donate a lot of points, and only squeaked by 7-5; 6-3. Serena hasn't had to play one player in the top 100, and has already lost two sets because she plays like an amateur these days.

I don't think Maria is going to have much of a problem beating Ana in the SF.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
It has always hurt Kim and it may just hurt her as well.

I doubt that. Sharapova rarely has mental lapses that cause her to lose a match. Clijsters does. Sharapova has been outplayed in her losses this year. Clijsters hasn't. Sharapova's movement became an issue in every one of the matches she's lost. That being the case, Sharapova is moving as fast as I've ever seen her. Serena is moving slower than she did last year. Venus doesn't have the game to beat Sharapova yet.

alexusjonesfan
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:41 PM
there would need to be other players in good form for that to happen :tape:

Brooks.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:44 PM
Maria had to play the most promising 15 year old since Martina Hingis and destroyed her 6-0; 6-1. Venus had to play a struggling journeywoman who has no weapon at all and still manages to donate a lot of points, and only squeaked by 7-5; 6-3. Serena hasn't had to play one player in the top 100, and has already lost two sets because she plays like an amateur these days.

ok if you want to be a little bitch about it :rolleyes: ...........are you fu*king blind...........SERENA IS INJURED.....SHE CANNOT MOVE.......i swear you and mary carillo should go live together and freaking discuss how perfect maria sharapova is :rolleyes:

Serena!
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
ugh I guess Maria will be ready, but I just don't want her to win Wimbledon! I think she is just incredibly ANNOYING!

jfk
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:49 PM

There are 14 year olds who are more promising than Sesil. Sesil almost lost to Amanda Janes for pete's sake!!! The only players Sesil could beat at this Wimbledon were probably wildcards. However, I won't say that Nicole Pratt was a tough match either...she was awful. (Regarding Sesil...I hope I'm proven wrong because she is entertaining and has a good personality....but she's as overrated as they come.)

Except for Henin, none of the top players had difficult draws. That's just what happens on grass...the top players have weapons that the lower ranked players can't match. On clay, it's a lot more even.

G_Slammed
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Sharapova hasn't played an opponent worth a raggedy assed damn as of yet... and everybody sees it, everybody knows it.

*Karen*
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:52 PM
It looks like Venus might be able to knock Serena out. And I don't think Venus will give Maria anything to worry about. With Justine out I don't see what problem Maria will have getting to the final of a grass tournement.

catkey94
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:52 PM
I think she'll be fine for the finals. She is mentally tough so I think she will be ready to compete with whoever her opponent is if she makes it to the finals.