PDA

View Full Version : Big Babe Showdown of Generations: 5'10" Pierce (12) vs. 6' Ivanovic (19)

pierce0415
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_02_ivanovic46_ips_m_pozzetti.jpghttp://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_02_pierce_196_epa_h_philpott.jpg

First meeting between two of my favorite players. Sorry Ana :devil: but have to go with Mary on this one.

Mary

2005 Record: 20-9
2005 Titles: 0

Ana

2005 Record: 31-9
2005 Titles: Canberra (Tier V)

Cariaoke
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
dammit. I KNOW espn isn't showing this match! :sad:

i wish i could see Ivanovic play for the first time but I don't think it's going to happen.

I wanna say Mahree will win but I think Ivanovic is so hot right now. So, I don't know.

Berlin_Calling
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:06 PM
Mary beat Patty in a TOUGH 3 set battle at RG, and that win gave her the confidence to rout Lindsay in the next round.

Mary will be confident after this TOUGH match, and she usually brings her A-game after a match like this. Hopefully, she will beat Ana but it will undoubtedly be tough.

ezekiel
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:06 PM
Come on Ana :bounce:
Show her the way :bounce:

Hopefully they show this on espn :fiery: , I see no other really interesting matches...

SilK
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:08 PM
I went for Ana! :o

Wannabeknowitall
First meeting between two of my favorite players. Sorry Ana :devil: but have to go with Mary on this one.

Mary

2005 Record: 20-9
2005 Titles: 0

Ana

2005 Record: 31-9
2005 Titles: Canberra (Tier V)

Yeah I had a feeling you would pick Pierce, pierce0415. I'm picking Ana. She has a better feel on grass and has been serving well here. Movement will be a big factor in this match and that's something that Ivanovic does better.

pierce0415
Of course this won't be on TV. It will happen on Saturday which means it will be NBC coverage! They are going to throw themselves over Roddick, Serena, Venus and Masha even if those matches are all 60 60

blumaroo
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Ana :)

ezekiel
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:11 PM
I am holding out some hope. Espn has the coverage in the morning and nbc starts in the afternoon. I was cheering for Mary to win because I know she already has some draw and this match would likely end up on tv.

jfk
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
Mary beat Patty in a TOUGH 3 set battle at RG, and that win gave her the confidence to rout Lindsay in the next round.

Mary will be confident after this TOUGH match, and she usually brings her A-game after a match like this. Hopefully, she will beat Ana but it will undoubtedly be tough.
Mary beat Julia Vakulenko. That's not like beating Patty Schynder.

Ivanovic is a better grass courter player than Mary is even at this young age. The only thing stopping Ivanovic is having to defeat the recent French Open finalist...if her mind and nerves are up to it, she should win.

Cariaoke
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Of course this won't be on TV. It will happen on Saturday which means it will be NBC coverage! They are going to throw themselves over Roddick, Serena, Venus and Masha even if those matches are all 60 60
espn shows replays during the night.

NBC for sure won't show it. Especially after that FO fiasco. :o

JenFan75
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Go Mary!!!

Berlin_Calling
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:19 PM
Mary beat Julia Vakulenko. That's not like beating Patty Schynder.

Ivanovic is a better grass courter player than Mary is even at this young age. The only thing stopping Ivanovic is having to defeat the recent French Open finalist...if her mind and nerves are up to it, she should win.

Well of course Schnyder on clay is much better than Vakulenko on grass, but thats not the point. Im just saying that regardless of the opponent, Mary usually plays much better in the next round after a tough match.

pierce0415
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:24 PM
This match will probably come down to who can break first. Both have big serves over 110 mph. The player that gets them in will win

ezekiel
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:16 AM
I want to watch this!!!
Unfortunatelly , I haven't seen any matches pf Ivanovic at wimlbedon yet but going by the stats I am having a hard time seeing Mary hold up here seeing as her movement is limited. Now the x factors can be the crowd, what court they play, or just experience of Mary.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Unfortunately, I think Ana :sad:

Allez Mahree though.

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:48 AM
i love them both but think ana will win.

mboyle
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:52 AM
I don't think Ivanovic is going to lose to anyone this tournament until she runs into the Masha grasscourt express. Ana hit a 123 MPH serve today, averaging 110 MPH. She hit 30 winners to 11 unforced errors. She was never broken but saved 10 breakpoints. She won 80% of first serve points and 62% of second serve points. This has (scarily) become standard practice for her. She moves better than Pierce as well. Of course, Ana could play as she did vs. Petrova at the French, and then Mary would win, but, if Ana continues her good form, Mary's going down.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:55 AM
I really hope Mary :hearts:

BUT im happy if Ana wins, in fact - I think she'll win 6-4 7-5 :worship:

pierce0415
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:57 AM
I don't think Ivanovic is going to lose to anyone this tournament until she runs into the Masha grasscourt express. Ana hit a 123 MPH serve today, averaging 110 MPH. She hit 30 winners to 11 unforced errors. She was never broken but saved 10 breakpoints. She won 80% of first serve points and 62% of second serve points. This has (scarily) become standard practice for her. She moves better than Pierce as well. Of course, Ana could play as she did vs. Petrova at the French, and then Mary would win, but, if Ana continues her good form, Mary's going down.

I agree with you that Ana has been playing unbelievable so far in terms of stats but she was taken to close sets by both Douchevina and Foretz. Ana also had 10 double faults vs. Vera. Mary is a much better player! Anything can happen.

Andy.
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Im hoping Mary will win and i think she will she will lift her level a few notches after her struggle.

Darop.
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:27 AM
I'm gonna be glued on the TV watching this.

Whoever wins, I'm happy.

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:34 AM
I'm gonna be glued on the TV watching this.

Whoever wins, I'm happy.
i hope for you that it's on tv ;) so you can tell me about it.

Venus Forever
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Hope Mary, but based on results... I'm gonna go with Ana.

-Kieron-
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Ana in two.

Red Lantern
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Toughie.
I'll say Mary - although Ana has been on fire, so I might be deluding myself on this one. I love 'em both, should be a good match.

Havok
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Mary has a very good track record vs the youngsters, usualy routing them fairly easily. Ana is one tough customer though, and this match will be huge as I don't see the winner of this match losing their 4r match. Allez Mahree.:D

Scotso
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Ana couldn't handle the pressure against Nadia... might be the same thing here.

deja_entendu
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Ana's game is even more explosive than Mary's... the girl has future and that future is now, I'll say 6-4 6-3 to Ivanovic.

switz
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:31 AM
I think Mary will win. Ivanovic is good no doubt about it - but she's still overrated for where she is currently at. Beating Mauresmo at RG isn't something i consider such a huge achievement when you look at the players she has lost to there (Jana Kandarr for example) and she got dusted by Petrova.

I know she's going to be very good but i think she's far from unbeatable at present.

And i agree that Mary usually benefits from scrapping through matches in her next match.

I say she wins 6-0, 6-0 :lol:

If Mary plays like she did today though Ana will win easily.

rada
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:54 AM
ana is playing better then mary, in her last match ana hit 33 Winner's and only 12UE thats good and served 197 ;) bye bye mary

VeeDaQueen
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:29 AM

It's gonna be funny when she gets her ass kicked by Serena :)

deja_entendu
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Ass kicked by Serena?? If they play, Ivanovic will have Serena chasing balls ten feet behind the baseline, she hits so much flatter and harder and more aggressive. IMO Ana if she's on her game is about the deadliest opponent one can play bar none.

rada
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:52 AM
It's gonna be funny when she gets her ass kicked by Serena :)
:lol: serena has been pushed in all her match's

Cris Senior
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Ass kicked by Serena?? If they play, Ivanovic will have Serena chasing balls ten feet behind the baseline, she hits so much flatter and harder and more aggressive. IMO Ana if she's on her game is about the deadliest opponent one can play bar none.
Absolutely right Well said
CS

switz
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:03 AM
lol at how overhyped Ana is being here. She's suddenly the best grasscourter in the world because she beat Douchevina and Foretz :lol:

I'm not saying she'll lose to Mary but the girl hasn't shown anywhere near the type of fom to be considered a tournament favourite.

Dinkie
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Go Mary!!!!!!

darren cahill
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM
why did so many people vote for Ana? what was this based on? because she beat Amelie at the french?

dont forget who Mary Pierce is.:worship:

Venus Forever
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Ahhh, so glad I was wrong.... great job Mary... :D

jlamire
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:48 PM
lol at how overhyped Ana is being here. She's suddenly the best grasscourter in the world because she beat Douchevina and Foretz :lol:

I'm not saying she'll lose to Mary but the girl hasn't shown anywhere near the type of fom to be considered a tournament favourite.
That's funny, it's overhyping time nowadays...

switz
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:55 PM
That's funny, it's overhyping time nowadays...

no now is when they either say nothing or make excuses.

i remember when sprem started losing last year she was always sick or injured and then she kept losing and suddenly most of her fans just started calling her an idiot etc which i didn't think was very nice

ezekiel
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Mary must have played her match of the year at least. Nothing like she played against Justine at RG. She pulled all the tricks from her book.

It's ok for Ana, it's her first year, first wimbledon. She is still very young. It's sometimes good in the long run to get humbled a little.

switz
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:03 PM
It's ok for Ana, it's her first year, first wimbledon. She is still very young. It's sometimes good in the long run to get humbled a little.

good attitude

saby
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:21 PM
With Mary you never know....the result of almost every match depend at 90 % on how Mary feels.
Mary plays like shit or if you want to win you better come and take it b/c she will not give it to you.

THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT MARY

darren cahill
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:00 PM
LOL at the people still voting for Mary hours after she already won!:lol:

vutt
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Well, it proves that most posters here do not know much about tennis I guess :angel:

darren cahill
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Well, it proves that most posters here do not know much about tennis I guess :angel:

true i guess

and another vote for Mary after she already won. too funny