PDA

View Full Version : (4) S. Williams Def. M. Santangelo 2-6, 6-3, 6-2

lizchris
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Sluggish first set, but on fire the next two.:)

She plays fellow American Jill Craybas next.

LeRoy.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:42 PM
these three setters are going to help Serena in the long run :)

Nabalonge
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
She turned it up in the second and went on from there. Glad she won, and hope she performs better, maybe a two setter next lol.

AjdeNate!
Not pretty in the first 1.75 sets, but she got it done.
Thankfully her draw is still powdery soft for the next match.

RenaSlam.
Flawless third set from Serena...16 winners, 3 errors, 4 aces, 1 DF.

Paldias
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:44 PM
Congrats Serena :)

manu
Strange... She seems to struggle big time but on the other hand, her stats look pretty good if not convincingly good:

1st serve percentage: 72%
Winners: 32
UE: 14

Anyway, I hope she's healthy (is she?) and that she can play herself into some better form! :)

tennislover
:sad: :fiery:

Rising Sun
Well done Rena! ;)

Nabalonge
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:45 PM
Didn't like how she started out, but loved it when her attitude changed and her play too. Santangelo played well and her attitude in the first especially showed a great deal why she was up.

I think what adds on to the 'struggling' label is Serena's body language most of the time. This when you compare it to the stats.

VRee_Willario
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:46 PM
I'm so happy she pulled it out. A loss would've ruined my Wimbledon, though Venus would've still been in the draw.
Well done :D , but what was wrong with her in that first set? :confused:

RVD
nice... :)

..ikke..
I really can't stand her :fiery:

faboozadoo15
i would like to know who was charting that match who only saw 14 unforced errors in three sets from serena!

jfk
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:47 PM
The bitchy Serena from Amelia Island (as in her matches versus Peer and Elena L) returned in this match. She cheered her far inferior opponent's unforced errors...uncalled for in a match that she can and did win in her sleep.

I wonder if she intentionally phoned it in in the first set. It seemed like she just came out with no intensity at all and then just decided to flip on a switch in the second set. Very contrived. For example, in the first set, she just didn't serve hard for whatever reason. Starting in the second set, she just added 20 mph to her serve. No reasoning behind it IMO...other than that she just decided to try. Maybe she just didn't like the mood on court due to Henman's loss?

I think her problem is that she doesn't get her juices flowing playing lower ranked players. When she plays Capriati, Mauresmo, Davenport, Sharapova, etc..she's a lot more fired up from the start. Unacceptable and disrespectful IMO but whatever works I guess.

lizchris
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:47 PM

And I am really sure she cares.:rolleyes:

Nabalonge
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:48 PM
Why would she phone in the first set? And she can cheer on a winner, error to her heart's content.

harloo
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:48 PM
OMG, that third set Serena was amazing. Just imagine if she commits to tennis 100% again she would be unstoppable.

Santangelo did not back away in the first set. I like the attitude of lower ranked players today. They are gonna go out their and give their all and have the belief that they can win.

Congrats Serena!! Time to clean it up next round though.:lol:

tterb
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:49 PM
Serena definitely picked it up in the middle of the second set... I think the biggest thing was how much her serving improved. She's still rusty, and she'll need to not hit off her back foot so much in later rounds. But three-setters aren't necessarily a bad thing after the long layoff she had.

Mara needed to keep up a high first serve percentage, but it just kept dropping after the first set. She played a solid match, but all those double faults hurt, and she seemed to lose all confidence as Serena picked up steam in the third set.

Also, :lol: at whoever said Serena wouldn't struggle today because Haynes' best was so much better than Mara's.

Cariaoke
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:49 PM
She needs the play so I won't be mad at 3 sets.

She picked up her game remarkably. I'm very proud of her. :kiss:

jj74
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Is she ok? It's strange she has to strugle in two consecutive rounds, anyway good reaction and maybe having tough matches is good to her confidence

jogoss_78
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Serena :worship: :D :kiss:
Another great fight!!!!!
She won 100% pts on her first serve in the third set :worship:
Please be fit Serena
Good luck :)

Denise4925
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:53 PM
:woohoo: I'm glad Serena won, but it was down right ugly in the first set. What was wrong with her??!! :confused: Was it the mood of the crowd? She needs to stop pulling this Safin attitude shit. I love them both (her and Safin :hearts: ), but get excited from the beginning Serena and stop this three set mess. And stop giving your fans a heart attack. :p

harloo
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:55 PM
Why would she phone in the first set? And she can cheer on a winner, error to her heart's content.

Oh don't pay the troll any mind. It's just sour grapes. No upset today.:lol:

Slumpsova
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:57 PM
these three setters are going to help Serena in the long run :)

i hope so ;)

Avid Merrion
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:58 PM
:yeah: congrats Serena! :D

harloo
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:58 PM
:woohoo: I'm glad Serena won, but it was down right ugly in the first set. What was wrong with her??!! :confused: Was it the mood of the crowd? She needs to stop pulling this Safin attitude shit. I love them both (her and Safin :hearts: ), but get excited from the beginning Serena and stop this three set mess. And stop giving your fans a heart attack. :p

For some reason I felt she was passive in the first set and Santangelo was the aggressor. Usually when Serena is dominating an opponent she is always in control. She took back that control in the second, and in the third Santangelo was shell shocked. Serena went into another gear, that set reminded of how she played in 2002.

harloo
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:59 PM
why am i shocked...that she won:) i went out to lunch and thought Serena was out to pasture...my mother just called me and said, Serena needs to stop the drama:lol:

She is an actress you know. She did have alot of drama in that first set.:lol:

Nabalonge
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:00 PM
why am i shocked...that she won:) i went out to lunch and thought Serena was out to pasture...my mother just called me and said, Serena needs to stop the drama:lol:

Serena, what a drama queen, keeping fans and non alike interested in all she does :lol:

aNYthing
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:01 PM
Hopefully Serena will cruise in the next round, but by the way she has been playing lately, there is no way to tell...

RenaSlam.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:02 PM
For some reason I felt she was passive in the first set and Santangelo was the aggressor. Usually when Serena is dominating an opponent she is always in control. She took back that control in the second, and in the third Santangelo was shell shocked. Serena went into another gear, that set reminded of how she played in 2002.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Serena in the third set was flawless, dominating off the first strike. She reminded me of 2002.

Brooks.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:03 PM
i would like to know who was charting that match who only saw 14 unforced errors in three sets from serena!

she missed a lot of return of serves which when watching a match feels like error after error........there were games where mara held because serena would miss 4 returns in a game ...........to me what really changed everything was serena's serve............if she serves like she did in the third she doesnt really need her movement as much.......im so happy she pulled it out but i cant help feeling a little sad that she is not more healthy :sad:

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:04 PM
A terribly flawed first set and a remarkably superb third set- all in all, nice job. Don't get me wrong I'd prefer two clean sets, but she couldn't have played a better third so I'm pleased.

...gotta advance to have a chance!!!!

Cariaoke
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:06 PM
She is an actress you know. She did have alot of drama in that first set.:lol:
She needs to bump Mary J's "No More Drama" on her ipod. :fiery:

Denise4925
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:06 PM
:lol: Your mom's cool :lol:

darrinbaker00
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:07 PM
The numbers say that Serena played a much cleaner match than her sister, so until I see the tape this evening (after the Spurs win the NBA title, of course), I have to assume that Santangelo, like Angela Haynes before her, brought her A-plus game.

DevilishAttitude
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:08 PM

I'm sure Serena cares your her fan too :lol: :tape:

Serena getting taken to 3 sets by players ranked outside the Top 100 :o :o :o

Not good.

Denise4925
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:08 PM
she missed a lot of return of serves which when watching a match feels like error after error........there were games where mara held because serena would miss 4 returns in a game ...........to me what really changed everything was serena's serve............if she serves like she did in the third she doesnt really need her movement as much.......im so happy she pulled it out but i cant help feeling a little sad that she is not more healthy :sad:
Where'd you get that avatar Vee? :hehehe: :p

Nabalonge
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Santangelo did bring her A game as Angela did before her. Watch the tape after the Pistons defend their title because the last two sets will be the most enjoyable.

Denise4925
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
The numbers say that Serena played a much cleaner match than her sister, so until I see the tape this evening (after the Spurs win the NBA title, of course), I have to assume that Santangelo, like Angela Haynes before her, brought her A-plus game.
:lol: That first set was horrors. :eek: But, I didn't see the third set and I too must wait until after the Spurs win :p before I see a replay of my recording of both her and Venus match. I didn't see Vee's match at all, but props to her for the win. :woohoo: GO TEAM WILLIAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brooks.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Where'd you get that avatar Vee? :hehehe: :p

yahoo :D ..........they'll have more after rena's match today. ;)

Denise4925
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Santangelo did bring her A game as Angela did before her. Watch the tape after the Pistons defend their title because the last two sets will be the most enjoyable.
:lol:

Julia1968
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:12 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself. Serena in the third set was flawless, dominating off the first strike. She reminded me of 2002.

Three sets against a qualifier??? :cuckoo:

Yeah, nice dominating performance.

SJW
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:13 PM
well done Serena. best of luck next round:)

Brooks.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:13 PM

:tape: at least our fave made it to the third round which is more than you can say ;)

Denise4925
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:14 PM
:tape: at least our fave made it to the third round which is more than you can say ;)
:o :tape:

Slumpsova
btw i heard the commentator said she had a problem with ankle again?

VRee_Willario
Julia, your avatar is right. We're really afraid :eek: ;)

tterb

Mara played VERY well in the first set... She's a solid player, probably top 40 talent. But Serena's movement was sluggish, and the footwork was :eek:. She was hitting off her back foot and giving Mara opportunities to dictate. Mara's first serve is pretty effective as well, and she got a high percentage in during the first set.

Mara stayed in the match until she broke back to get to *3-4 in the second set. Serena's movement didn't get tons better, but she hit more aggressively and improved her serving big time. Mara started hitting some crucial double faults, and once she folded in that eighth game of the second set, you could tell her confidence was shot.

I think Craybas is much less a threat than Mara or Angela were on grass, so Serena should use that match to try to maintain her intensity and aggression from the start.

Nabalonge
:lol:

:yeah:

harloo
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:15 PM
She needs to bump Mary J's "No More Drama" on her ipod. :fiery:

You know Serena is a Green Day/50 cent type of Girl. In the first set she was playing like an "American Idiot", but got that song out of her head in the second. I imagine she must of been thinking about 50 cent's In Da Club because she knew if she didn't raise her level she would be back in Hollywood trying to find the next party.:lol:

I just love babygirl, she is too much.:hearts: :lol:

SJW
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
btw i heard the commentator said she had a problem with ankle again?
that's what Richard said to me too. that's why every win is a bonus. she's not fit.

darrinbaker00
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:18 PM

How did Justine do today, Julia?

abayen
I don't think Serena was all that different in the 3rd set (except for the serves). Santangelo just lost all confidence and stopped playing like she did in the first set.

Serena will have a tough time against the top players with this kind of game.

And am I the only one who thinks so or does Serena rarely win a rally anymore ?

:lol: That first set was horrors. :eek: But, I didn't see the third set and I too must wait until after the Spurs win :p before I see a replay of my recording of both her and Venus match. I didn't see Vee's match at all, but props to her for the win. :woohoo: GO TEAM WILLIAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cariaoke
You know Serena is a Green Day/50 cent type of Girl. In the first set she was playing like an "American Idiot", but got that song out of her head in the second. I imagine she must of been thinking about 50 cent's In Da Club because she knew if she didn't raise her level she would be back in Hollywood trying to find the next party.:lol:

:spit: YOU STUPID, SON!

mentos
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:19 PM

:wavey: You're funny.
Congrats to my girl, though I was cussing her silly ass out in that first set.
Too much Jekyll and Hyde from babygirl...just makes me :rolleyes: at times...but it never lasts for too long because she always manages to ante-up in the clutch...AND that fight, that determination and passion is why I'm hooked.

cellophane
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:25 PM
I don't think Serena was all that different in the 3rd set (except for the serves). Santangelo just lost all confidence and stopped playing like she did in the first set.

Serena will have a tough time against the top players with this kind of game.

Agreed. Serena really picked up her serve in the third, whereas Mara folded. :sad:

cometz9
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Serena :hearts: I'm glad you won today, both you and Venus are just one match away from the RD16. Good Luck :yeah:

chris whiteside
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:32 PM
I don't think Venus could go the whole way but watching how Serena has played so far I have a funny feeling she could lose to Venus in the last 16.

volta
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:32 PM
i´m sure that she wont sleep thinking about it ;)

Gratz Rena but make it Simple next time :o

G_Slammed
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:35 PM

... so, what are you going to do about her?

volta
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:37 PM

u should post without looking to the mirror u would post much less smiles like :cuckoo:

Serena+LenaDrule
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:38 PM
:lol: :tape: well said
I really hope this 3 setters help her in the latter stages of the tournament :yeah:

Denise4925
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:45 PM
that's what Richard said to me too. that's why every win is a bonus. she's not fit.
You talked to Richard, Sara? :eek:

SelesFan70
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:08 PM
Santangelo wasn't ready to win...was waiting for Serena to lose. A big mistake obviously. :rolleyes:

hotandspicey
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM

Yeah, nice dominating performance.Better three sets than packing her bags. :lol: :lol: You are so funny!! Your sig should say.....I'm afraid...I'm very afraid ......that Justine will lose in the FIRST round!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

volta
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
yeah :o the nerve to speak to him first then me :fiery:

cellophane
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Santangelo wasn't ready to win...was waiting for Serena to lose. A big mistake obviously. :rolleyes:

Just like that game with the netcord in the second set in the match with Angela, the game at 4-3 was crucial, but Mara's serve let her down... :( Mental toughness is everything. :sad:

Staticbeef
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
I really can't stand her :fiery:Why?.......she.....likes.......you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SelesFan70
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Just like that game with the netcord in the second set in the match with Angela, the game at 4-3 was crucial, but Mara's serve let her down... :( Mental toughness is everything. :sad:

And Serena is one of the game's most mentally tough...ever.

Evert
Seles
Graf
Serena

:bowdown: to all of them

SJW
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:25 PM

yeah lol. he's awesome. i spoke to him in 03 too. our convos are hilarious...he even asked me how i'm doing in school :lol:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:33 PM
Congrats Serena :bounce:

I only got to see the first three games of the second set :sad: because BBC2 switched to Andy Murray :fiery: and my dad was watching cricket on Sky Sports. I really hope they show this on the late night show, although I doubt it. 50 minutes will be taken up by Henman and Murray :fiery:

serenafan08
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:38 PM
These three-setters are going to help Serena later on in the tournament I think. She needs all the match play she can get. It looks like her and Venus are still on course for a clash in the fourth round, so these matches will help warm her up for that. Way to go Serena!!! :bounce:

jbone_0307
Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:07 PM
The stats look good, but it went to three sets.

raquel
Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:14 PM
Well done Serena for pulling another match out after going a set down. Her ankle may not be 100% but her determination is. Good luck against Jill, Serena :yeah:

Kabezya
Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:58 PM
It went three sets and Serena won.

Good luck in the next round.