PDA

View Full Version : Ok,call me naive but....

MakarovaFan
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:35 PM
looking at Serena's stats for her first two matches(well one and a half;2/1 FS Rd 2)she is playing good matches:in first rd she had 14 more winners than errors and 6 more aces than dbls;now in rd 2(3/1 FS) shes at 11 more winners and 6 more aces;yet ppl are saying shes playing horribly.....,i think one of the differences from now versus when she dominated is not her level of play,but her oppenets!! up until the last game Mara had more winners and errors,same for Angie;fans keep saying the sisters arent ANYWHERE near their best,but i disagree i think its the girls these days arent afraid of them,back when they dominated the girls didnt really take it to them thus their dominace,now they are taking it to them hence their "struggles".Now before the bashing comes,i know they have been injured and i know they have been "pre occupied" but ppl need to wake up and see the truth!

RenaSlam.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:46 PM
Her movement sucks. That's what letting her down. Her opponents can hit more winners because she's not moving that well....

Deimos
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:46 PM
looking at Serena's stats for her first two matches(well one and a half;2/1 FS Rd 2)she is playing good matches:in first rd she had 14 more winners than errors and 6 more aces than dbls;now in rd 2(3/1 FS) shes at 11 more winners and 6 more aces;yet ppl are saying shes playing horribly.....,i think one of the differences from now versus when she dominated is not her level of play,but her oppenets!! up until the last game Mara had more winners and errors,same for Angie;fans keep saying the sisters arent ANYWHERE near their best,but i disagree i think its the girls these days arent afraid of them,back when they dominated the girls didnt really take it to them thus their dominace,now they are taking it to them hence their "struggles".Now before the bashing comes,i know they have been injured and i know they have been "pre occupied" but ppl need to wake up and see the truth!

Well, what you seem to be saying is that they dominated by intimidating the rest of the field, not through actual superiority of play. I don't know why this is constantly trotted out where those two are concerned.

If anything, players have always been very motivated to beat them.

icequeen
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Her movement sucks. That's what letting her down. Her opponents can hit more winners because she's not moving that well....

Don't you think that it's her ankle that causing her not to move well?

RenaSlam.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Don't you think that it's her ankle that causing her not to move well?

Of course. She's not 100%.

TonyP
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Her movement AT TIMES looks bad and at times she still runs down shots most players would never get. But she LOOKS to be very out of shape. Whether she is or not is hard to say. She was out classed all the way around in the first set today, but Mara quickly seemed to lose heart after Serena picked it up. The Italian could have made a real fight of it in the third set, but didn't.

But I don't think Serena is playing much differently than normal. I do think, though, she will not get through the second week without playing considerably better. Were she to give Sharapova the first set the way she did today, it would be all over in the second set.

VRee_Willario
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Serena was moving badly, backing up, hitiing sloppy groundies and serves and was easily passed many times. She somehow got her footwork going in the last two sets

harloo
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Her movement AT TIMES looks bad and at times she still runs down shots most players would never get. But she LOOKS to be very out of shape. Whether she is or not is hard to say. She was out classed all the way around in the first set today, but Mara quickly seemed to lose heart after Serena picked it up. The Italian could have made a real fight of it in the third set, but didn't.

But I don't think Serena is playing much differently than normal. I do think, though, she will not get through the second week without playing considerably better. Were she to give Sharapova the first set the way she did today, it would be all over in the second set.

AO 2005 Semis;)

harloo
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:07 PM
Serena was moving badly, backing up, hitiing sloppy groundies and serves and was easily passed many times. She somehow got her footwork going in the last two sets

Serena has not played a match in 2 months, has been having a problem with her ankle, and faced a first round opponent who played the match of her life.

She needs some matchplay to get her groove back that's all. I wish she would focus more on the game but that's her choice. Once she got her groove in the second set it was smooth sailing. I think she will be fine and raise her game when she needs to do so.

aNYthing
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Anyone who believes Serena is playing at her best right now is retarded :retard:

RVD
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:44 PM

Haynes (USA).... Williams (USA)

1st Serve% 93 of 122 = 76%.... 61 of 106 = 58%
Aces ....7..... 9
Double Faults...... 0...... 3
Unforced Errors..... 27....... 30
Winning% on 1st Serve...... 58 of 93 = 62%...... 45 of 61 = 74%
Winning% on 2nd Serve...... 10 of 29 = 34%........ 23 of 45 = 48%
Winners (Including Service)...... 29....... 44
Receiving Points Won...... 38 of 106 = 36%....... 54 of 122 = 44%
Break Point Conversions..... 3 of 7 = 43%....... 6 of 14 = 43%
Net Approaches...... 4 of 11 = 36%........ 17 of 24 = 71%
Total Points Won..... 106....... 122
Fastest Serve....... 115 MPH ..... 114 MPH
Average 1st Serve Speed...... 101 MPH ......102 MPH
Average 2nd Serve Speed........ 91 MPH ......86 MPH
A rudimentary analysis of Serena's 1rd match shows me that she stuggled some with her 1st serve, but offset that a bit with aces(not as many as she usually gets though).
UFEs, though not horrible, was not all that great either. She could have done much better.
Overall, Serena just barely pulled this one off. It wasn't her best performance. But not her worst either.
This is to be expected from a player that was coming in rusty. :)

Santangelo (ITA) Williams (USA)

1st Serve % 45 of 74 = 61%... 50 of 69 = 72%
Aces... 3... 9
Double Faults ...7 ...2
Unforced Errors ...23 ....14
Winning% on 1st Serve 31 of 45 = 69% ....38 of 50 = 76%
Winning% on 2nd Serve.... 11 of 29 = 31%.... 10 of 19 = 48%
Winners (Including Service)... 20.... 32
Receiving Points Won..... 21 of 69 = 30%...... 32 of 74 = 43%
Break Point Conversions..... 3 of 6 = 50%.......... 4 of 6 = 67%
Net Approaches..... 7 of 11 = 64%..... 5 of 7 = 71%
Total Points Won...... 63.......... 80
Fastest Serve............ 107 MPH............. 113 MPH
Average 1st Serve Speed....... 101 MPH .... 101 MPH
Average 2nd Serve Speed..... 89 MPH ........ 86 MPH I agree. The stats here aren't too shabby. :) She kept her UFEs and DFs way down. Everything else seemed mediocre (for Serena). But overall, decent stats. It's possible that most here were people keying in on Serena's on-court presentation. She was frustrated with her play and not happy to be there. Again, understandable due to her recent injuries and lack of match play.

As long as Serena is making it to the next rounds, I'm more than satisfied. She doesn't have to play blazing tennis in every tournament, because that's impossible. All she has to do is JUST KEEP WINN BABY ;) .