PDA

View Full Version : Mary vs Lucie 6.3 6.4

saby
Jun 21st, 2005, 07:35 PM
Mary you were so great !!!

RESPECT

ali
Jun 21st, 2005, 07:48 PM
Mary played great! I was really impressed with her opponent but her class won out in the end. If she can keep that level up (and the serving %) she's got a great chance to make the quarters.

One match at a time though!

mamno_MARYFAN
Jun 21st, 2005, 07:51 PM
Yes...well done Mary...!!!!:angel:

I watched the Wimbledon coverage all night here...sadly they didn't show Mary's match...:sad:

Never mind...Justine is out so...great match for Mary...keep it up!!!

Who's she facing in the 2nd round though....?:rolleyes:

Go MARY!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

pierce0415
Jun 21st, 2005, 07:59 PM
Saby or someone else who saw the match,

Can you please give us a few details of the match? What was Mary's outfit? How was her game? Any points that stuck out in your mind?

Mark Spruce
Jun 21st, 2005, 07:59 PM
Yes one match at a time.

And great breaking straight back in the middle on the 2nd

Happy Mark

Well done Mary !!!!!!!!!

mark

isaboulou
Jun 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM
Mary is in white, we have never seen her outfit, it's new i think
Lucie plays the same game than mary, stronger, big risk, in two or three strokes (sorry for my english) but mary was a little bit better than lucie

Mark Spruce
Jun 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM
I love Mary in white.

Snowhite

mark

isaboulou
Jun 21st, 2005, 08:29 PM
there is no black band on the sides

saby
Jun 21st, 2005, 08:38 PM
Her outfit seems a little different than usual

Mary did play really well, her shots were terrific, Mary won 5 games by 40/00, only one game was hard, she lost it, it was at 2/3 in second set, but she broke back and win the match.

Mary did score 6 aces, not that usal for Mary !!!

She was serving almost all the time around 85mph really really good match, good attitude on court with some "allez !!! when she had great shots.

I have to say that it remind me RG 2005, she's on the same way, Mary wasn't wearing bandages on her legs (very good...)

Safafora was a really good test, this player will be very tough in the future

cakiteror
Jun 21st, 2005, 08:48 PM
great job mary!
i looove that girl!

saby
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:03 PM
I just looked at Mark's pic and I didn't pay attention but Mary still has her Ankle taped

Did you notice it Mark?

pierce0415
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:06 PM
Match ReportsPierce Eases onto LawnTuesday, June 21, 2005

French Open finalist Mary Pierce has made a successful transition from clay to grass, winning her first round match at Wimbledon in convincing style. In fading light the French No.12 seed beat 18-year-old Czech Lucie Safarova in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.

At the age of 30 Pierce is enjoying yet another successful comeback from injury, which has included a win at Roland Garros over world No.1 Lindsay Davenport. The disappointment of her subsequent finals loss to Justine Henin-Hardenne was cast aside today as she took the first set from her 60th-ranked opponent with ease, 6-3.

Safarova made a better start to the second set, holding her own serve and applying pressure on Pierce's delivery. On her third break point at 3-2 Safarova wrong footed Pierce to take a 4-2 lead.

But the popular veteran didn't lose her cool. When heavy hitting secured an immediate break back for Pierce her opponent's newfound confidence proved shortlived. Pierce held serve for 4-4 and broke again for 5-4. She then served the match out to love, underlying proceedings with an ace.

Pierce now plays Julia Vakulenko of Ukraine in the second round.

isaboulou
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:10 PM
oui sa cheville est strappée comme à RG
Yes her ankle has a binding

Declan
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:16 PM
I can't help but say this: I wish the Roland Garros Final had proved to be one match too many for Justine Henin-Hardenne rather than her first round at the next tournment!! How many others of you have thought that?!

rsunderji
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:51 PM
congrats mary, what a way to start, showing that fight! you are something!

Mark Spruce
Jun 21st, 2005, 10:05 PM
Declan,

Yes I did think that. But life is life it is unfair some times.

But I am just so glad to see Mary into the 2nd round

Mark

sebbe
Jun 22nd, 2005, 12:36 AM
Nice win from Mary...love to see Mary playing good. And nice to see that she has found a nice level to play on..next round vakulenko, a good server but if mary could handle a lefthander today, vakulenko shouldn't be any problems...

Good Luck in next round

pierce_fanatic
Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:46 AM
Great win for Mary ! With Henin now out of the tournament I hope Mary can take advantage of it.

Although it would have been nice too if Serena had of lost. :p

Good Luck for tomorrow Mary ! :worship:

Red Lantern
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:50 AM
Judging by the match stats, Mary is looking extremely consistant (at this stage)

----------------Safarova (CZE)----- Pierce (FRA)

1st Serve-----------63 % ------------ 81 %

Aces--------------- 6----------------- 6

Double Faults -------2------------------1

Unforced Errors------15----------------10

Winning %
on 1st Serve--------78 % ------------ 81 %

Winning %
on 2nd--------------24 % ------------ 42 %

Winners
(Including Service)--20 --------------- 22

Receiving
Points Won---------25 % -------------41 %

Break
Point Conversions---25 % -------------50 %

Net Approaches-----0 %---------------67 %

Total Points Won------45----------------65

Fastest Serve-------106 MPH ----------111 MPH

Average
1st Serve Speed---- 98 MPH-----------104 MPH

Average
2nd Serve Speed---- 82 MPH ----------91 MPH

She doesn't have a particularly bad part of the draw looking at it - neither of the Williams sisters are on fine form at the moment (although you just never with know what goods they can bring) - anyway good luck Mary - she has my full support :bounce:

cakiteror
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:09 AM
lets think about a match at a
but,ivanovic in the third round,that is going to be hard!
ana loves fast courts,and she doesnt like clay that mutch,but look where she got,QF RG!
i love them both but must say,I AM GOING TO CHEER FOR MARY!
not very patriotic!

Andy.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM
Great first up Match from Mary very solid. lets hope she can keep building from this her draw is wide open now.

MaryPierceFan
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM
Great job! Mary was amazing! Go girl! You can do it!

Ceze
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM
Next match vs Julia Vakulenko
Go my girl! ;)

NicoMary
Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:13 AM
Mary has to take the rythm...she has done a pretty good match against a pretty strong player..:worship:but now comes Vakulenko....should be easier but Julia hits the ball pretty hard..

so as Mary did it in RG she'll have to be focus....:):bounce:

i'm not really worried about Ana ivanovic if Mary keeps playin like she did or even improve her game...it will be a tough match ..but mary has a lot of experience

Berlin_Calling
Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Mary is so great. She always handles the young players well so I expect her to do well if she meets Ivanovic ;). But before her, Vakulenko is up next (who is also one of my favorites) but of course I'll still be rooting for Mary to come through :D

isaboulou
Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:01 PM
there is an interview of mary on the site of the french federation http://www.fft.fr
This is an audio interview in french

Mark Spruce
Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks for that

mark