PDA

View Full Version : Postmatch interview Michaëlla Krajicek

Etienne Stekelenburg
Jun 15th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Michaëlla Krajicek defeats Anabel Medina Garrigues.

The postmatch interview can be read on TeamWTA.com (http://www.teamwta.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=378&Itemid=2)

http://216.32.67.18/%7Eteamwta//images/stories/WTAplayers/krajicek%2015-06%20170.jpg

SilK
Jun 15th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Written by Etienne Stekelenburg
Wednesday, 15 June 2005

Michaëlla Krajicek of The Netherlands advanced into the quarterfinals of the Ordina Open in ‘sHertogenbosch. The 16-year-old defeats No.30 ranked Anabel Medina Garrigues of Spain in three sets 6-3, 3-6, 6-2. The ITF Junior Champion of 2004 will meet Meghann Shaughnessy of the USA after German Ana-Lena Groenefeld retired at 7-6, 3-6, 3-0.

Michaëlla Krajicek, Mischa for friends and family, showed she made a lot of progress since last year’s performance at the Ordina Open. It is not only showing in her tennis skills, her mentality has changed for the better as well.

Her service is, like it was for her brother Richard, one of the strong weapons, hitting 7 aces in the first set. She has showed she can hit backhand and forehand winners when she returns the service from her opponent. In the third game of the first set she hits three aces. In the 6th game Krajicek hold two breakpoints, one on 30-40 and advantage, but she fails to convert them. But in the 8th game she breaks Medina Garrigues’ service and holds on to her own winning the first set 6-3.

In the second set both players didn’t show much difference in their game. They both held on to their game pretty easy but in the 6th game Krajicek hits a double fault and some unforced errors and Medina Garrigues breaks on love. In the 8th game the Spaniard gets a breakpoint but Krajicek can fight it off. One break was enough for Medina Garrigues and she won the second set 6-3.

Krajiceks services were again getting better in the third set hitting 4 aces. That contributed to her game and she took a 4-1 lead hitting backhand and forehand winners. The No. 99 of the ranking held breakpoints in the 6th game but she could not convert them. One service return landed in the net, a forehand got wide, the next ball was too long and Medina Garrigues held on to her service game when Krajicek hits the net.

“The breakpoints in the third set were not converted because my hand had become somewhat stiff. And she played very well on the breakpoints, she took the balls right and I was just looking too much for the best shots. I was sick of that that it didn’t work out. I was also nervous and the wind played a part in it as well. I was not playing good on those breakpoints. But I was happy with worked on the last game”, Krajicek explained.

The Dutch did break in the 8th game on love hitting two winners an unforced error by the Spaniard and Krajicek hitting a netball dropping on the right side of the court for her to take the game the set and the match 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.

“No, I am not thinking about a final, you must be kidding. I am glad getting through this round that is more than I hoped for. I never look ahead that far. Maybe in the future if I am able to be in the top ten or No.1 on the ranking, then I might look ahead towards the next rounds but I am just glad getting through the first round.

She is still hoping she can play doubles with Elena Dementieva who withdrew from the Ordina Open with a shoulder injury. It looks like the injury is not as severe as they feared at first when they suspected a muscle tear. The Russian needs a few days to recover before taking up practise again.

“I am hoping we can play double together and it would be a drag if we don’t play but she has to do what is best for her singles matches. The main thing is that she needs to get better”, she said about working together with Dementieva.

Krajicek read this morning that she does not need the wild card for Wimbledon, she enters the main draw after Elena Bovina withdrew from the Grand Slam at Wimbledon.

SilK
Jun 15th, 2005, 05:40 PM
...Michaëlla Krajicek, Mischa for friends and family...

this is incorrect... she does not want to be named Mischa AT ALL, she made that clear herself on www.krajicek.nl ;)

it's Misa :)

Etienne Stekelenburg
Jun 15th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Funny that I hear Richard calling her Mischa at the pressconference.

SilK
Jun 15th, 2005, 09:22 PM

He called her Misa, he just pronounced it different :p

mandy7
Jun 15th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Go Silas! :yippee:

SilK
Jun 15th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Go Silas! :yippee:

:lol: I got some serving lessons from Richard...

I'm great as serving bagels right now... :o

GertAlert
Jun 15th, 2005, 11:13 PM
He called her Misa, he just pronounced it different :p

It is indeed spelled Misa, she explained this herself! ;)

But I guess pronounciation is done in Czech and then it becomes Miša, and this sounds like 'Mischa' to us (but character š isn't used in western alfabets).

SilK
Jun 15th, 2005, 11:18 PM
It is indeed spelled Misa, she explained this herself! ;)

But I guess pronounciation is done in Czech and then it becomes Miša, and this sounds like 'Mischa' to us (but character š isn't used in western alfabets).

:worship:

me being half Hungarian, makes it easy to understand ;)

DutchieGirl
Jun 16th, 2005, 09:29 AM

yeah, you say it as "Mischa", but it's REALLY spelt, "Misa"! :D