PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity

saby
Jun 9th, 2005, 09:11 PM
We all are Mary's fans, and, I was wondering, what are for you the happiest and sadest moments in Mary's career?

I started to think about that, last saturday, when I saw Mary crying during the ceremony.

For me this final and the match against Huber at USO are the most sadest, both matches Mary cried, I don't know but it feel strange, you don't "really" know a person and you feel sad for her, kind of weird.

The happiest, RG 2000 final for sure, Mary holding the trophy, it's like The best of Mary is coming out during RG.

If you want to share, I would be happy to know

Declan
Jun 9th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Happiest: well, there are a few. The obvious ones, like the Slam wins, the Hingis win at the YEC in 1997, the 2000 Roland Garros Doubles win, the 1998 back-to-back titles in Moscow and Luxembourg, beating Capriati (at last!!) in Filderstadt in 2003, and of course the fairytale run to the final at Roland Garros this year.
For me, one of the saddest moments was Mary's inexplicable loss to Dokic at the 1999 Wimbledon. Mary was on good form throughout the tournament, Hingis had been removed from her path, and it should have been a fairly easy ride to her second career Quarter-Final at Wimbledon (against Alexandra Stevenson!!!). She came out all guns blazing against Dokic, leading 3-0 and 4-2, and then...she fell apart, and Dokic won a lacklustre match. It took me ages to get over that loss for some reason, and it also, perhaps unfairly, made me HATE Dokic for years.

MPStylee
Jun 10th, 2005, 02:11 AM
I agree Declan, I couldn't get over that match either!!! No one understood why I was cut 'cause at the time Dokic was playing for Australia!!! I remember though when she got her revenge at Family Circle Cup 2000 and there was an article about it in my local paper!!!

This years RG final!!! I think we were all with Mary and have mixed emotions!!! It so wicked that she made the final but then how rad would it have been if she won!!!

The 2000 win was so good!!! I couldn't contain myself when she won!!! My mum was like "Simonne settle down!"

Another really sad one though was the Davenport loss in 1999 at the quarters of the US Open!!! She had mtch points to be in her first semi in New York!!! She even thought she had won at one point and made her way to the net! I was so sad, I cried and went to school the next day and couldn't think about anything else!!! Ahhhh

Mark Spruce
Jun 10th, 2005, 03:57 AM
For me the happiest.

RG 2000 Semi Final and the Final.

Saddest, US Open 1999 v Devenport and last Saturday.

Mark

Declan
Jun 10th, 2005, 06:16 AM
MPStylee: I'm SO glad you felt the same way about the Dokic match!! And funny you should mention the re-match in 2000: I was desperate for Mary to avenge that loss! They nearly did in Linz (I think) at the end of 1999, but Dokic lost to Kleinova in the first round with the winner playing Mary in the second, and I was convinced she did it to avoid Mary! I was on holiday in Iceland during the FCC of 2000 and I knew they were due to play in the Quarters and I was on tenterhooks until I managed to find out Mary had won. In hindsight it was an over-reaction on my part but it bugged me for SO long!! (Actually so did the Laura Granville loss at Wimbledon three years later but not to such an extent.) Re. the Davenport match in 1999: luckily I never saw that match, but it sounded so painful I was glad I didn't see it!!

NicoMary
Jun 10th, 2005, 08:00 AM
One of the sadest moment of mary's carrer was for me, her shape during the tournament of rome in 2001 i think, just before she retired from RG...she lost an horrible match agaisnt Petrova i think...she was just not moving at all:sad:

Her defeat 00 to capriati was pretty horrific also:fiery: fuckin jennifer

Mary's defeat against Davenport at the US open WAS terrible....I WAS CRAZY
This fuckin' match point missed for something like 5 cm!!!!!!!!!!!
I was so sad:sad:

Some of the best moment:bounce: for me was Mary's victories at Hilton head:worship::hearts:,
The title in single and double In RG...:bounce:her way to the final this year..:worship:
Her victories agaisnt Dokic us, Sharapova us, schnyder rg, Graf rg, Serena at IW
So many great matches:hearts::worship::bounce:

Jackaboo
Jun 10th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Mary's defeat against Davenport at the US open WAS terrible....I WAS CRAZY
This fuckin' match point missed for something like 5 cm!!!!!!!!!!!
I was so sad:sad:

I was sad too that Mary had lost it, however I have a totally different view about this match against Davenport in the 1/4 of the us open... In my mind this was one of Mary's best match of her career up to that point, even though she lost in the end. The first set was just Davenport being like she had been all tournament long, beating everybody very easily, and it looked that this match was going to be like this too. However, at some point in the second set, Mary just started to play amazing tennis, and ended up dominating Davenport to take the second set. The third set showed a great battle between 2 of the greatest ball hitters on the tour, it was just amazing, I was sitting in the edge of my chair the whole time. Then Mary had match point, thought she had one it but her backhand was just outside the line. Then the rain, they had to stop, Mary was just so sad that she hadn't finished the match (she was shakin her head), then they came back and both of them played brilliantly for the last 2 games.

Even if Mary lost, to me this was great match because I hadn't seen Mary fight so hard in a long time, and at that point it was the match that gave me the most thrills and emotions. This match also showed us that Mary was up there with the best and was very close to beat them. And guess what, half a year later she was RG champion! :bounce:

I think the happiest moment of Mary's career for me was when she won RG in 2000, and the saddest, well it was to see her in the past few years, not being able to produce her best tennis because of her injuries. It was sad to see her like this because we all knew that she was better than this.

Declan
Jun 10th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I've just thought of another sad moment -Mary's first Wimbledon and her first-ever match against bloody Nathalie Tauziat! They had played on the same circuit for five years but always avoided playing against each other until Mary's long-overdue Wimbledon debut. Don't forget Tauziat was one of the most vocal anti-Mary French players in 1990 when she began to play as French (never mind that she hadn't been born in France either!!) -she always clearly resented Mary's presence under the French flag. Mary came to Wimbledon as Australian Open champion and I think she was 3rd on the computer then, although Wimbledon seeded her fifth. Tauziat loomed in the second round -what a draw for Mary's first senior grass tournament! The match was played on Centre Court, and obviously grass was even then Tauziat's favourite and best surface, and Mary was a novice. That it even went to three sets was something of a surprise -the first two were close then Tauziat ran away with the third, and you could tell that she was SO pleased to get that win over her rival! She never beat Mary again, losing their only two career matches afterwards, but what a place and time for their first meeting!!

saby
Jun 10th, 2005, 01:32 PM
I remember Davenport vs Mary at the USO, it was one o'clock something like that and I was watching the match with one of my sisters (I do believe my sister thought I was a little bit retarded) LOL

For me that it's good and bad memories at the same time, She fought like never !!! I think it's a bad one for Mary as I read in a newspaper, Mary totally destroyed her racket in the locker room after the match.

It's interesting, almost everybody picked up same matches, there is one more match that is a good memory for me, it's Mary Vs MariA in Roma this year, because Mary played very good, and for the italian crowd too, it's like Mary was playing at home in Paris. I mean Paris is not the only place where Mary willl have a standing ovation, so it feels good to know a lot of people like Mary all around the world. (I'm thinking about you too guys !!!) LOL