PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Qualifying

paul_masterton
May 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Will take place after the wild card meeting is held. This usually the Monday of Birmingham week, with pre-qualies being held over the next 3 days

as with last year, the winner will be given a main draw wildcard.

they may alter the qualifying wildcard scenario after last years farse where a couple of players (namely miss paterson) had a shocker in prequalies and was overlooked by players who were clearly out of their depth.

among those who will be in the event will be:

Jane O'Donoghue
Katie O'Brien
Sarah Borwell
Karen Paterson
Melanie South
Claire Peterzan

Anne and Elena have had their 3 wildcards, but Elena is Elena and Anne is coming off injury. If Emily and Amanda stay in the top 275 they are entitled to wildcards automatically. But then the LTA may decide to screw over Emily, coz i still don't think they are on good terms.

spiceboy
May 28th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Jane is well into the top 275...why does she has to play this pre-qualy? :confused: :confused:

And there's no chance for Amanda to be outside the top 275 (not even 250) by the time Wimbly WC are awarded...by their own rules Amanda and Jane should get automatic entry for Wimbledon MD :)

paul_masterton
May 28th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Jane has had her allocation of 3 wildcards

the new rules were introduced to stop teh smae players getting them over and over again without having improved their rankings

spiceboy
May 28th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Jane has had her allocation of 3 wildcards

the new rules were introduced to stop teh smae players getting them over and over again without having improved their rankings

I know...but if the other girls are ranked below her I can't see the point :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Plus rules are rules for everybody. IMO is not a valid answer to say Elena is Elena in order to give her a WC when she already had these 3 WC like Jane...I mean this is such a stupid rule, if this was the US when you've got several young players to give her a chance every year that would be fine but if the alternative for O'Donoghue is Borwell or Paterson this is just :tape: :tape: :tape:

^bibi^
May 28th, 2005, 09:13 PM
will Alice (mackenzie)play pre-qualif ?

i also think this rule is compltetly stupid.. Elena is the only player who's got a slight chance of winning o few matches, it would be ridiculous not to give her a WC...

gillibean
May 29th, 2005, 01:22 PM
can aussies get WCs?

Britfan
May 30th, 2005, 11:09 PM
The letter from David Felgate (LTA Performance Director) published in British Tennis (Jan/Feb 2005) indicated that there will be a wildcard meeting on Monday June 6th, which will consider all the British players nominated for wildcards. The hard criteria for nomination are:

1) ranking inside 150 (Elena Baltacha meets this)
2) ranking inside 275 if less than 3 WCs before (Amanda Janes and Emily Webley-Smith meet this)

In addition there are 2 fuzzy criteria, where exact standards are not specified:

1) returning from serious injury (Anne Keothavong will probably meet this)
2) being under the age of 20 (Katie O'Brien will probably meet this, being close to 275. Others could be nominated under this criterion - the LTA has given itself flexibility - but I doubt whether any will)

Last year 4 British women received direct wildcards. David Felgate's letter does not specify whether this number is fixed, but I think that the likelihood is that the wildcard committee will be selecting 4 from 5

gillibean
May 31st, 2005, 12:03 PM
britfan can aussies get wcs?

Britfan
May 31st, 2005, 10:55 PM
Gillibean - 2 years ago there was an exchange scheme with Australia for 1WC for Womens Main Draw and Qualies, but that was a one-off. Wimbledon retain control of 3 WCs, which they may offer to Aussies or players of any other nationality, though they usually end up passing 1 or 2 to the LTA. I cannot think of any Aussie who would fit their normal criteria - which is players with a proven track record at Wimbledon (singles or doubles) or players who they believe will attract a significant number of fans. So Chanda Rubin would be a strong candidate if she has not entered with her protected ranking, and Scud for a men's WC if his injury clears, They usually offer 1 or 2 WCs for qualies to non Brits - perhaps an Aussie will benefit

VeeDaQueen
May 31st, 2005, 11:31 PM
Martina Navratilova enjoys playing the grass seasons, so she might ask for a wildcard.

gillibean
Jun 1st, 2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks Britfan.
What about WCs into qualifying? Same deal?

Grachka
Jun 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks Britfan.
What about WCs into qualifying? Same deal?
I don't think there are any rules on Qualifying wildcards, its down to the discretion of the LTA and the AEC. Last year it was given to players that won at least one match in pre-qualifying (but that produced the farces referred to by Paul) and Katerina Bondarenko is entitled to one this year as last year's junior winner.

The majority will go to Brits though (last year it was 6 out of 8).

gillibean
Jun 1st, 2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks Obatafan :)