PDA

View Full Version : Getting bounced in the 1R of the Slam you are defending...SIGN OF GREATNESS.

RenaSlam.
May 25th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Graf, Capriati, and now Myskina...

Sign of greatness falling in the 1R of the slam they were defending.

Graf in '94 to McNeil. :o
Capriati in '02 to Marlene. :eek:
Myskina in '05 to Sanchez Lorenzo.

*Note: I feel sorry for Nastya and what her family is going through and this would not have happened had the situation been different. However, this is greatness we are talking about. :tape:

DA FOREHAND
May 25th, 2005, 12:47 AM
BUT OF ALL the players you have listed only one is considered a "Great" player.

Steffi Graf

GoDominique
May 25th, 2005, 12:52 AM
One should mention that a Graf vs. McNeil 1r match wouldn't be possible nowadays because of 32 seeds.

And Lori had been top 10 and was an excellent grass-court player. Marlene and Maria are not in her league.

*JR*
May 25th, 2005, 12:54 PM
An interesting thread might be about players (inc. top seeds and winners of the last Slam they played) who then lost in R1 of a Slam. (Or narrowly averted it, as Serena did vs. Lefty Loo-wah @ Oz '03).

Mateo Mathieu
May 25th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Waiting for the US Open :) :p

Spunky83
May 25th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I think itīs just great that Justineīs record of being the worst title-defender ever at the French Open was now replaced by my other fave;)...honorable, thatīs for sure! oh, oh, oh...

Lady
May 25th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I think itīs just great that Justineīs record of being the worst title-defender ever at the French Open was now replaced by my other fave;)...honorable, thatīs for sure! oh, oh, oh...

She wasn't the worst one, she was tied with ASV for that honour! :p

lucashg
May 25th, 2005, 01:10 PM

At least Justine and Anastasia had some real excuses.

Libertango
May 25th, 2005, 01:15 PM
The Steffi-Lori match was really great, I remember watching it on TV and being so excited. I was off school ill, and it was the first tennis match I ever saw! :worship:

Chunchun
May 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Waiting for the US Open :) :p

you mean Sveta??? :devil: :tape:

TeamUSA#1
May 25th, 2005, 01:51 PM

What..... I dont know what happened with Graf (was she injured) but I do know with Capriati, she had had eye surgery and had to sit in darkness for the entire month of December and into January, thus had no prep for her title defense at all.

As far as greatness, both Graf and Capriati have established themselves as greats...... Graf for her 22 GS titles, and utter dominance of the sport for many years and her Golden Grand Slam. Capriati for her incredible comeback, her 3 slams, #1 ranking, and her many "youngest" achievements. Myskina has got a long way to go before being considered great and not a 1 slam wonder. Nastya is young, so maybe she will win some more, get to #1--- time will tell

bandabou
May 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Ouch...talking about greatness..

miranda_lou
May 25th, 2005, 08:36 PM
As far as greatness, both Graf and Capriati have established themselves as greats......

You really aren't comparing Capriati with Graf in the greatness department, are you?:rolleyes: What a hoot!!:lol: :lol:

As far as Wimbledon '94 goes . . . Lori McNeill was no slouch on grass and she played great to win that match. I was rooting for Stef but I wasn't upset that Lori won.:kiss: I just wish she could have gotten to the finals. Nerves got to her.:sad:

I saw Lori on a talk show on the Tennis Channel the other day and she was holding her own in giving her opinions about past and present players. It was a funny discussion.:lol:

_LuCaS_
May 25th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Actually starting a thread like this...another 12$ bottle of wine

gmak
May 25th, 2005, 08:52 PM
yeah... lori really had a great chance to win it all in 1994....

too bad she got a bad case of nerves against Conchita in the semis

8-10 in the final set ouch...

*Karen*
May 25th, 2005, 08:53 PM
It justafiable to say Steffi is greater than Jen. But nobody can say that Jen isn't a tennis great.

TeamUSA#1
May 25th, 2005, 09:01 PM
You really aren't comparing Capriati with Graf in the greatness department, are you?:rolleyes: What a hoot!!:lol: :lol:

As far as Wimbledon '94 goes . . . Lori McNeill was no slouch on grass and she played great to win that match. I was rooting for Stef but I wasn't upset that Lori won.:kiss: I just wish she could have gotten to the finals. Nerves got to her.:sad:

I saw Lori on a talk show on the Tennis Channel the other day and she was holding her own in giving her opinions about past and present players. It was a funny discussion.:lol:

I wasnt compairing the 2, however both are in the all time top 40 players of the sport in the open era---- I think that makes you a great. Obviously, Graf has achieved much more (heck no one, save Martina N. has achieved more) but both are greats. Myskina, on the other hand, is not a great yet

DA FOREHAND
May 25th, 2005, 09:05 PM

yeah thier opponents outplayed them....Great excuse. :rolleyes: :wavey: :confused:

gmak
May 25th, 2005, 09:05 PM
i agree jen is an all-time great ;)

talking about Lori mcneil, just 2 weeks before her win over Graf, she was beaten 0-6 0-6 by Mary at the french, and although Mary was playing out of her mind at the time and Lori sucked on clay, it was still a pretty good recovery after such a loss ;)

_LuCaS_
May 25th, 2005, 09:13 PM
yeah thier opponents outplayed them....Great excuse. :rolleyes: :wavey: :confused:
MSL outplayed a healthy, motivated, confidence boosting Myskina to lose to Emmanuelle Gagliardi ? :rolleyes:

miranda_lou
May 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Don't get me wrong . . . I love Jennifer, always have.:angel: However, from my perspective (tennis fan since 1968), Jennifer will never be considered an "all time great" tennis player. Good, perhaps great, but not amongst the upper crust of greatness. She just wasn't consistent enough over the years.

There are just too many truly great players from the past (Steffi, Nav., Chrissy) who overshadow her and there will be more still playing (Justine, Kimmie, Serena and Venus) who have already overshadowed her.

Jen will make the Hall of Fame and it will be well deserved.:kiss:

DA FOREHAND
May 25th, 2005, 09:25 PM
MSL outplayed a healthy, motivated, confidence boosting Myskina to lose to Emmanuelle Gagliardi ? :rolleyes:

yes she outplayed Myskina, to make it to the next round, had Myskina outplayed her she would have played Emmanuelle, no?

RVD
May 25th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Actually starting a thread like this...another 12$ bottle of wineHm...yeah. Agree. :yeah: Mind if I join ya?http://deephousepage.com/smilies/alc.gif

_LuCaS_
May 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM
yes she outplayed Myskina, to make it to the next round, had Myskina outplayed her she would have played Emmanuelle, no?
An outside #100 player cannot outplay a top 10 player. Right now Myskina would probably lose to anyone on the tour. Talk about depth :eek: :lol:

DA FOREHAND
May 25th, 2005, 09:55 PM
An outside #100 player cannot outplay a top 10 player. Right now Myskina would probably lose to anyone on the tour. Talk about depth :eek: :lol:

I love your sarcasm. :lol:

I'm sure you watched the match. Every losing player was outplayed no matter the ranking or round in which they were bounced.

Calimero377
May 25th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Graf, Capriati, and now Myskina...

Sign of greatness falling in the 1R of the slam they were defending.

Graf in '94 to McNeil. :o
Capriati in '02 to Marlene. :eek:
Myskina in '05 to Sanchez Lorenzo.

*Note: I feel sorry for Nastya and what her family is going through and this would not have happened had the situation been different. However, this is greatness we are talking about. :tape:

Graf was defending champion in 6 Wimbledons, in 3 AOs, in 5 FOs and in 4 USOs. In one of those 18 occasions she failed in the first round. But 10 times she defended her title with success. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Capriati was a title defender 3 times. She failed once in the first round but had one successful title defense.

Myskina ....

The difference between the good, the great and the all-time greatest.

Calimero377
May 25th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Sorry but Capriati is easily one of the all time greats. Her story is a fairytale and incredibly admirable

OK, if we extend the "all-time great" category to 100 players ....

RenaSlam.
May 25th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Cali, Serena has NEVER lost in the 1R of a slam period. Is that greatness?

Calimero377
May 25th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Cali, Serena has NEVER lost in the 1R of a slam period. Is that greatness?

When she makes 54 slam appearances and still has no first round loss we can talk again.

Spunky83
May 25th, 2005, 11:00 PM
:rolls: omg...I think itīs fantastic how some of you guys can even make a big fuss about that one and make a big fight out of it. Iīd say we make a poll:

"Who was the worst Grand Slam-title defender? - in consideration of special circumstances such as injuries, illnesses, psychological problems or in one case, even two out of those three!"

Letīs roll people!!! :bounce:

Szymanowski
May 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM
poor nastiya

I don't really know what she can do except keep on playing. Her standard has simply dropped.