PDA

View Full Version : Have they changed the Doubles Entries..

monster
May 25th, 2005, 12:09 AM
....to a system like the men?
Sorry if this thread has been up already, been away for a few days.

It looks like if you Top 100 in doubles you are safe.
After that, singles rankings are used?

Anyone have the offical rule?
Is this just for Grand Slams, just the French or all events?

Thanks

brunof
May 25th, 2005, 12:11 AM
They must have. I was wondering the same, since there are some funky teams this year...

Anna Smashnova and Dally Randriantefy are both unranked, but are playing together. :o Random to say the least.

Kristina Brandi is ranked outside of the top 500 in doubles.

I think this is super unfair for certain teams, because it blocks them out of a chance to play these big matches, with purses many of them desperately need. There are teams out there who focus all their energies on doubles (Lubiani, Baker, Liga, etc.), and not being able to play is very unfair. Perhaps this is a ploy to make the field stronger, to get more top singles players in the draw, to beef it up, but in my opinion this field is anything but spectacular. :rolleyes:

monster
May 25th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Tahnks for this. I would have thought the ITF or WTA would make an announcement.
Whilst it is great seeing 2 of my fav's in doubles, Amy and Marissa, it does seem pretty unfair.

auntie janie
May 25th, 2005, 12:27 AM
:eek: I had no idea! You learn so much on this board!

switz
May 25th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Tahnks for this. I would have thought the ITF or WTA would make an announcement.
Whilst it is great seeing 2 of my fav's in doubles, Amy and Marissa, it does seem pretty unfair.

they did make an announcement but it didn't get any attention because this board was down and in reality this board contains the only people who would care.

i understand why people view it as unfair on the battlers who make some decent money out of doubles but at the same time something needed to be done because in general women's doubles has become so unpopular and it needs some kind of spark. and even though it might not have led to much difference in this draw i'm sure their hope is that it will encourage more top players to have a crack at doubles in a slam - and i mean big crowd drawing names.

Shonami Slam
May 25th, 2005, 12:42 AM
the mixed uses the better of the two - singles or doubles.
but i don't think anna and dally are in for thier singles either, so it must concern $$$$$$$ that the organizers want to stuff in thier pockets all day long :rolleyes:

vincent227
May 25th, 2005, 03:16 AM
many interesting pairs!

Mana
May 25th, 2005, 03:27 AM
:fiery: Thia fucking sux! :fiery: Leanne and Franny live for doubles and now they don't have a chance to play...I'm so so so fucked off at this!

brehondavis
May 25th, 2005, 04:59 AM
many interesting pairs!

Did anyone else notice that Martina Navritilova and Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario are a team this grand slam?:bounce:

switz
May 25th, 2005, 05:31 AM
the mixed uses the better of the two - singles or doubles.
but i don't think anna and dally are in for thier singles either, so it must concern $$$$$$$ that the organizers want to stuff in thier pockets all day long :rolleyes:

nope it's now copied the mixed doubles by taking the higher of the singles or doubles rankings except for the top doubles teams who still be seeded higher

monster
May 25th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Thanks Switz- is this for every tournament or just Grand Slams or just the french?

Thanks